3Likes

post #601 of 616 Old 07-21-2014, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Also, make sure the SUB output is disabled if you're just using Aux 1/2 (if you're using a third sub, then leave it enabled of course, connected to the SUB output)

I've also been told by McIntosh to set aux 3/4 to the same settings as 1/2 even if not using them. I dislike not knowing why, but could never get a clear answer.

When you go to the speaker configuration screen, can you set noise and hear anything (it is master volume dependent, to you have have to raise the 151 volume)

Yes. I have the sub disabled.

I get the "noise" from all speakers except the sub and I did try the AUX 3/4 setup the same to no avail.

If you've properly configured the IP but cannot connect to the web interface, as well as having this problem, you might have to do a factory reset...you will have to set up your speaker settings again, and then try RP.
I have the sub disabled.

OK... I was beginning to think that I may need to do this. I will just follow the instructions on how to do this unless there is some other way that is not in the instructions.

The L/R mains should be set to XXL or XL? I am a bit confused since addino suggested XL but your post on the 1rst/12th page states to set them to XXL...

Thanks for the replies!

Doug

Last edited by doug760; 07-21-2014 at 06:56 AM. Reason: figuring out the posting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 616 Old 07-21-2014, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug760 View Post
I have the sub disabled.

OK... I was beginning to think that I may need to do this. I will just follow the instructions on how to do this unless there is some other way that is not in the instructions.

The L/R mains should be set to XXL or XL? I am a bit confused since addino suggested XL but your post on the 1rst/12th page states to set them to XXL...

Thanks for the replies!

Doug
Mcintosh engineers have told me that stereo subs with no dedicated SUB output allow the mains to be set as XL or XXL...that it shouldn't matter. They would opt for xxl but there was no technical justification for choosing one over the other in that scenario...

I think you may want to just do a factory reset and start again.

Also using a crossover cable doesn't always work with every device...can you put the 151 on your network and connect via the assigned or static ip? Not sure how you even have the 151 and laptop ip settings now. Can you ping the 151 assigned address from the PC?
post #603 of 616 Old 07-21-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Mcintosh engineers have told me that stereo subs with no dedicated SUB output allow the mains to be set as XL or XXL...that it shouldn't matter. They would opt for xxl but there was no technical justification for choosing one over the other in that scenario...

I think you may want to just do a factory reset and start again.

Also using a crossover cable doesn't always work with every device...can you put the 151 on your network and connect via the assigned or static ip? Not sure how you even have the 151 and laptop ip settings now. Can you ping the 151 assigned address from the PC?
Yes. I will perform the reset before attempting any other setup.

I was just trying to do the direct connect to my laptop that they have in the manual as I am not sure if I want to run a network cable there or not yet. I did configure the static ip and I was not able to ping the 151. I am quite sure that I know what I need to do to get this resolved now though.

Thanks again...

Doug
post #604 of 616 Old 07-21-2014, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In setting up my MX151 I was told that if I select XL or XXL instead of L, the sub will not be active in pure stereo mode. Not sure about processed stereo mode (PLIIX). Is that you guy's understanding also?
post #605 of 616 Old 07-21-2014, 03:14 PM

I just tried a L/R speaker setting of both XXL and XL, AUX 1/2/3/4 custom, and no sub with no sound from either sub. Any other suggestions? The only sound that I hear from the subs are a slight poppy/squelchy sound whenever I power the unit down...

Thanks,
Doug
post #606 of 616 Old 07-21-2014, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just tried a L/R speaker setting of both XXL and XL, AUX 1/2/3/4 custom, and no sub with no sound from either sub. Any other suggestions? The only sound that I hear from the subs are a slight poppy/squelchy sound whenever I power the unit down...

Thanks,
Doug
Doesn't sound encouraging. Try unplugging the power from the 151 for about a minute, then for the factory reset. After setting up your speakers again, see what happens.

Can you take some screen grabs of your settings? What is the volume level of your Fathoms?

Its possible re-flashing the firmware might fix a corrupt issue...
post #607 of 616 Old 07-21-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Doesn't sound encouraging. Try unplugging the power from the 151 for about a minute, then for the factory reset. After setting up your speakers again, see what happens.

Can you take some screen grabs of your settings? What is the volume level of your Fathoms?

I will give that a try. I will get some screenshots before I send it off to McIntosh if I cannot get any further. With that test tone playing I tried both reference and variable. I also varied the master volume on the subs.

Thanks,
Doug
post #608 of 616 Old 07-21-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Disconnecting power yielded the same results. I did set it up to see if the sub output works and it does. Just cannot see what else I could be missing in speaker config. Are you just wanting to see screen grabs of the speaker config?

Thanks,
Doug
post #609 of 616 Old 07-21-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, grabs of the overall speaker config, and the AUX details.

If you are connected via XLR, try RCA if possible, or vice versa.

Finally, ask McIntosh to send you the current firmware, and re-flash it...that might correct things if there's a corruption in the brains...
post #610 of 616 Old 07-22-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Yes, grabs of the overall speaker config, and the AUX details.

If you are connected via XLR, try RCA if possible, or vice versa.

Finally, ask McIntosh to send you the current firmware, and re-flash it...that might correct things if there's a corruption in the brains...
Hey Thrang,
I will try to get those screen grabs posted either tonight or tomorrow. I will also try the unbalanced ouputs as well. I will post what the McIntosh tech tells me after explaining my issues and requesting the latest firmware updates. I do plan on sending the unit in as I hear a pop or some residual impulse sent to all channels when powering down, unless loading the latest firmware updates resolves all issues.

Thanks,
Doug
post #611 of 616 Old 07-22-2014, 08:59 PM

Here are the screenshots...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MC1.jpg (34.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg MC2.jpg (34.2 KB, 5 views)
post #612 of 616 Old 07-23-2014, 05:58 AM

Setting the power save feature to "No" seems to have eliminated the squelchy pops at power down to all channels. I will try the unbalanced(AUX 3/4) this evening to see if I get any output from those connections.

Doug
post #613 of 616 Old 07-23-2014, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here are the screenshots...
Both posted photos are the same. If you click on Details for the Aux 1 speaker, you should be able to grab and post that screen.

You are using 1/2 output not 3/4

Get the firmware and re-flash the unit...
post #614 of 616 Old 07-23-2014, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Setting the power save feature to "No" seems to have eliminated the squelchy pops at power down to all channels. I will try the unbalanced(AUX 3/4) this evening to see if I get any output from those connections.

Doug
FWIW My 151 (delivery late April) generated modest pops when changing inputs (I recall that was when they occurred at least) and the firmware update put an end to that. I still run power save ON, no pops.
post #615 of 616 Old 07-23-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Both posted photos are the same. If you click on Details for the Aux 1 speaker, you should be able to grab and post that screen.

You are using 1/2 output not 3/4

Get the firmware and re-flash the unit...
Eh, sorry about that... I tried to delete the post since the images did not seem to upload at the time for some reason.

Chuck mentioned that the latest firmware update is in beta testing right now. He suggested that I wait until it is released. Is there a way to get any of the earlier firmware updates as opposed to calling tech support?

Thanks,
Doug
post #616 of 616 Old 07-23-2014, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

He should be able to send you the shipping version to reapply
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version