6Likes

post #601 of 635 Old 07-21-2014, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Also, make sure the SUB output is disabled if you're just using Aux 1/2 (if you're using a third sub, then leave it enabled of course, connected to the SUB output)

I've also been told by McIntosh to set aux 3/4 to the same settings as 1/2 even if not using them. I dislike not knowing why, but could never get a clear answer.

When you go to the speaker configuration screen, can you set noise and hear anything (it is master volume dependent, to you have have to raise the 151 volume)

Yes. I have the sub disabled.

I get the "noise" from all speakers except the sub and I did try the AUX 3/4 setup the same to no avail.

If you've properly configured the IP but cannot connect to the web interface, as well as having this problem, you might have to do a factory reset...you will have to set up your speaker settings again, and then try RP.
I have the sub disabled.

OK... I was beginning to think that I may need to do this. I will just follow the instructions on how to do this unless there is some other way that is not in the instructions.

The L/R mains should be set to XXL or XL? I am a bit confused since addino suggested XL but your post on the 1rst/12th page states to set them to XXL...

Thanks for the replies!

Doug

Last edited by doug760; 07-21-2014 at 06:56 AM. Reason: figuring out the posting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 635 Old 07-21-2014, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug760 View Post
I have the sub disabled.

OK... I was beginning to think that I may need to do this. I will just follow the instructions on how to do this unless there is some other way that is not in the instructions.

The L/R mains should be set to XXL or XL? I am a bit confused since addino suggested XL but your post on the 1rst/12th page states to set them to XXL...

Thanks for the replies!

Doug
Mcintosh engineers have told me that stereo subs with no dedicated SUB output allow the mains to be set as XL or XXL...that it shouldn't matter. They would opt for xxl but there was no technical justification for choosing one over the other in that scenario...

I think you may want to just do a factory reset and start again.

Also using a crossover cable doesn't always work with every device...can you put the 151 on your network and connect via the assigned or static ip? Not sure how you even have the 151 and laptop ip settings now. Can you ping the 151 assigned address from the PC?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #603 of 635 Old 07-21-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Mcintosh engineers have told me that stereo subs with no dedicated SUB output allow the mains to be set as XL or XXL...that it shouldn't matter. They would opt for xxl but there was no technical justification for choosing one over the other in that scenario...

I think you may want to just do a factory reset and start again.

Also using a crossover cable doesn't always work with every device...can you put the 151 on your network and connect via the assigned or static ip? Not sure how you even have the 151 and laptop ip settings now. Can you ping the 151 assigned address from the PC?
Yes. I will perform the reset before attempting any other setup.

I was just trying to do the direct connect to my laptop that they have in the manual as I am not sure if I want to run a network cable there or not yet. I did configure the static ip and I was not able to ping the 151. I am quite sure that I know what I need to do to get this resolved now though.

Thanks again...

Doug
post #604 of 635 Old 07-21-2014, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 16
In setting up my MX151 I was told that if I select XL or XXL instead of L, the sub will not be active in pure stereo mode. Not sure about processed stereo mode (PLIIX). Is that you guy's understanding also?
post #605 of 635 Old 07-21-2014, 03:14 PM

I just tried a L/R speaker setting of both XXL and XL, AUX 1/2/3/4 custom, and no sub with no sound from either sub. Any other suggestions? The only sound that I hear from the subs are a slight poppy/squelchy sound whenever I power the unit down...

Thanks,
Doug
post #606 of 635 Old 07-21-2014, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just tried a L/R speaker setting of both XXL and XL, AUX 1/2/3/4 custom, and no sub with no sound from either sub. Any other suggestions? The only sound that I hear from the subs are a slight poppy/squelchy sound whenever I power the unit down...

Thanks,
Doug
Doesn't sound encouraging. Try unplugging the power from the 151 for about a minute, then for the factory reset. After setting up your speakers again, see what happens.

Can you take some screen grabs of your settings? What is the volume level of your Fathoms?

Its possible re-flashing the firmware might fix a corrupt issue...

post #607 of 635 Old 07-21-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Doesn't sound encouraging. Try unplugging the power from the 151 for about a minute, then for the factory reset. After setting up your speakers again, see what happens.

Can you take some screen grabs of your settings? What is the volume level of your Fathoms?

I will give that a try. I will get some screenshots before I send it off to McIntosh if I cannot get any further. With that test tone playing I tried both reference and variable. I also varied the master volume on the subs.

Thanks,
Doug
post #608 of 635 Old 07-21-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Disconnecting power yielded the same results. I did set it up to see if the sub output works and it does. Just cannot see what else I could be missing in speaker config. Are you just wanting to see screen grabs of the speaker config?

Thanks,
Doug
post #609 of 635 Old 07-21-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, grabs of the overall speaker config, and the AUX details.

If you are connected via XLR, try RCA if possible, or vice versa.

Finally, ask McIntosh to send you the current firmware, and re-flash it...that might correct things if there's a corruption in the brains...

post #610 of 635 Old 07-22-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Yes, grabs of the overall speaker config, and the AUX details.

If you are connected via XLR, try RCA if possible, or vice versa.

Finally, ask McIntosh to send you the current firmware, and re-flash it...that might correct things if there's a corruption in the brains...
Hey Thrang,
I will try to get those screen grabs posted either tonight or tomorrow. I will also try the unbalanced ouputs as well. I will post what the McIntosh tech tells me after explaining my issues and requesting the latest firmware updates. I do plan on sending the unit in as I hear a pop or some residual impulse sent to all channels when powering down, unless loading the latest firmware updates resolves all issues.

Thanks,
Doug
post #611 of 635 Old 07-22-2014, 08:59 PM

Here are the screenshots...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MC1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	175490   Click image for larger version

Name:	MC2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	175498  
post #612 of 635 Old 07-23-2014, 05:58 AM

Setting the power save feature to "No" seems to have eliminated the squelchy pops at power down to all channels. I will try the unbalanced(AUX 3/4) this evening to see if I get any output from those connections.

Doug
post #613 of 635 Old 07-23-2014, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here are the screenshots...
Both posted photos are the same. If you click on Details for the Aux 1 speaker, you should be able to grab and post that screen.

You are using 1/2 output not 3/4

Get the firmware and re-flash the unit...

post #614 of 635 Old 07-23-2014, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Setting the power save feature to "No" seems to have eliminated the squelchy pops at power down to all channels. I will try the unbalanced(AUX 3/4) this evening to see if I get any output from those connections.

Doug
FWIW My 151 (delivery late April) generated modest pops when changing inputs (I recall that was when they occurred at least) and the firmware update put an end to that. I still run power save ON, no pops.
post #615 of 635 Old 07-23-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Both posted photos are the same. If you click on Details for the Aux 1 speaker, you should be able to grab and post that screen.

You are using 1/2 output not 3/4

Get the firmware and re-flash the unit...
Eh, sorry about that... I tried to delete the post since the images did not seem to upload at the time for some reason.

Chuck mentioned that the latest firmware update is in beta testing right now. He suggested that I wait until it is released. Is there a way to get any of the earlier firmware updates as opposed to calling tech support?

Thanks,
Doug
post #616 of 635 Old 07-23-2014, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

He should be able to send you the shipping version to reapply

post #617 of 635 Old 07-25-2014, 07:35 PM

The firmware version that was installed disabled the AUX1/2/3/4 outputs... All is well now. Thanks for all your help.

Doug
post #618 of 635 Old 07-25-2014, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Glad it worked out

post #619 of 635 Old 08-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just received back my MX-151 from The Upgrade Company today and will be putting back into my system tonight. I'll have to see how the SE upgrade affects audio/video, although it will probably take some time to break it in. I'll report on it in a couple of weeks.

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
post #620 of 635 Old 08-04-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Just received back my MX-151 from The Upgrade Company today and will be putting back into my system tonight. I'll have to see how the SE upgrade affects audio/video, although it will probably take some time to break it in. I'll report on it in a couple of weeks.
Of course, you have another but unmodified one with which to compare it., right? :-)
Peter M and scirica like this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #621 of 635 Old 08-04-2014, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Of course, you have another but unmodified one with which to compare it., right? :-)
Lucky for me, I'm not one of those DBT guys and my subjective analysis is enough for me.

I also understand that for guys who prefer that sort of thing (DBT, etc), my subjective opinion will mean absolutely zero. For those folks, I kindly suggest you skip over my posts, in order to circumvent any frustrations.

However, for folks like our thread starter and others who have preferred the MX-151 from subjective analysis and compared to their previous processors, I'm hoping what I have to share will have "some" meaning. Thus far, I can share the following generalizations:

1) My SE Onkyo PR-SC5508 has better video than the stock MX-151. It will be interesting to see if the SE upgrade for the MX-151 has improved it to be equal or better than my SE 5508. That will be my video benchmark (subjectively, of course).

2) Regarding surround sound, the stock MX-151 does things very well, but the SE 5508 has a blacker background and it's more refined. I really like the dynamics of the MX-151, so I'm hoping the upgrade will add that blacker background and refinement that was immediately noticeable when I took out the stock MX-151 and replaced it with the SE 5508. That will be my audio benchmark.

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
post #622 of 635 Old 08-04-2014, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
thezaks - in the end all that matters is whether you, as the owner, are happy with the result. All the rest of us can argue the merits or otherwise of what you have chosen to do. That should not matter a whit to a satisfied owner and the rest of remain free to do whatever we also choose to do.

I am interested in what you do report back on just simply because of my curiosity.
post #623 of 635 Old 08-04-2014, 08:26 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I am wondering if McIntosh will upgrade it to include ATMOS and Auro3D

My humble Cinema
post #624 of 635 Old 08-16-2014, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I have read this entire thread and thanks everyone for providing great information. I have just got MX151 with MC8207 and am in the process of setting up. I am having some issues in Set up menu on MX151 and was wondering if anyone can tell me what is going on or what is the right solution. I have Oppo BDP105, Comcast cable box and PS3 all hooked on through HDMI to MX151 and one single HDMI output going to TV. I have a 5.1 set up. All videos work fine but when it comes to audio, there is some difficulty.

I am trying to play Netflix through Oppo. If I choose "Movie" or "Music" or "Games" in Oppo's Source set up menu on MX151, all 2 channel content on Netflix comes out fine thru MX. However, I don't get any audio for Netflix content with 5.1 audio. Input audio shows as "Silent Signal". If I choose "No Proc" on Source set up for Oppo on MX menu, I get 5.1 audio perfectly. However, in that case, all two channel content on Netflix also comes out as two channel audio only through MX. I would like the MX to process 2 channel content to "Movie" or "Music" to make it 5.1.

This is irrespective of whatever audio I choose on Oppo's HDMI setting (auto, LPCM, Bitstream). What am I missing here?

A related question for fellow MX owners - what are the set up options you use? When playing Bluray discs on Oppo, I get the sound alright whether I choose "No Proc" or any other mode. I somehow feel the "No Proc" option provides fuller sound. What is the preferred mode for playing Blurays with TrueHD?

Any help is highly appreciated.
post #625 of 635 Old 08-17-2014, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
sanjiva,

you are using the graphic user interface for set up via web and IP address, right? In the "source setup" you use the button next to "arrow down" button. This brings you to the setmenu of this specific source. Here you choose "advanced". Here you choose an "audio mode" e.g. "Movie". You save this.
Then you move on to "Installer Menue" - "AudioProcessing" - "Audio mode Setup":

Here you can define your Audio mode "Movie" that you chose for your source. You can select the preferred voicing, and select the preferred stereo mode. A little further down you can define your preferred multichannel mode, that you want to use in multichannel ( e.g.I chose no processing here - and I get same number of channels that come from the source).

I hope I was abel to help you.

Kind regards

Burkhard
scirica likes this.

Last edited by gubab; 08-17-2014 at 02:39 AM.
post #626 of 635 Old 08-18-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Guy's for those of you who have got the Sony FMP-X10 like myself, how good is it to have functioning HDMI 2 audio with the MX150! Also, the X10 is so much easier for us 1100 owners too without the finicky tablet control. Plus for me using my VPN access method, I can do away with a dedicated VPN router and just run VPN software and network sharing via the HTPC, hallelujah. I might actually use the 4K player a bit more now

post #627 of 635 Old 08-19-2014, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Guy's for those of you who have got the Sony FMP-X10 like myself, how good is it to have functioning HDMI 2 audio with the MX150! Also, the X10 is so much easier for us 1100 owners too without the finicky tablet control. Plus for me using my VPN access method, I can do away with a dedicated VPN router and just run VPN software and network sharing via the HTPC, hallelujah. I might actually use the 4K player a bit more now
Are you using the older MX firmware where audio from hdmi 2 on the X1 didnt work, but now does with the X10? Or are you using the MX's more recent firmware which was suppose to correct the audio issues out of the X1 hdmi port 2?
post #628 of 635 Old 08-19-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Are you using the older MX firmware where audio from hdmi 2 on the X1 didnt work, but now does with the X10? Or are you using the MX's more recent firmware which was suppose to correct the audio issues out of the X1 hdmi port 2?

The newer. I hadn't to be honest bothered with trying the X1 in last couple of months with the lack of new content and I had thought thrang had said the audio still wasn't working properly even with the update- must have imagined that. If that's the case then all good. Still much happier with the ease of use with projectors that the X10 provides and easier use for my VPN based setup.

post #629 of 635 Old 08-19-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
The newer. I hadn't to be honest bothered with trying the X1 in last couple of months with the lack of new content and I had thought thrang had said the audio still wasn't working properly even with the update- must have imagined that. If that's the case then all good. Still much happier with the ease of use with projectors that the X10 provides and easier use for my VPN based setup.
The unofficial MX firmware update that you can ask for fixed the x1 audio issue and works fine with the x10

I don't know if the x10 now works with the older McIntosh firmware... They are really remiss in not posting firmware downloads, revision notes, etc...it would make things easier for their customers...
post #630 of 635 Old 08-20-2014, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The unofficial MX firmware update that you can ask for fixed the x1 audio issue and works fine with the x10

I don't know if the x10 now works with the older McIntosh firmware... They are really remiss in not posting firmware downloads, revision notes, etc...it would make things easier for their customers...
I agree with Thrang, though may companies do the same, i.e. publish updates only upon cause/need/demand etc. Here is some late breaking info on the MX150/151 from someone in Germany, who was having Sat TV issues and reports having just received a new update from Chuck H. It is from May 23 and numbered 1.4RC5, SVN 1:3072. This is later than mine which solved some issues for me back in April. Might want to give it a shot, though it could be a Germany-only fix, so that may need clarification.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page