The Official Mcintosh Labs MX-151 & MX150 Owner's Thread - Page 24 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #691 of 722 Old 04-09-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 1,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED View Post
MX160 is Confirmed by a close friend at the "factory"

Feature set is still up in the air.
By sound of it, at that rate we'll waiting a while. Plenty of time to have an 8802 up and running, then work out whether the 160 is worth it.

OzHDHT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #692 of 722 Old 04-19-2015, 11:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Crunchyriff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: E SF Bay Area, CA.
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thrang-

Wanted to ask you two questions if I may, first one on-topic:
You now use your MX151 with a non-Mc power section, what is your opinion about the mindset that maintaining proprietary pairing is best- (Mc Pre should be paired with a Mc Amp, Onkyo w/Onkyo, etc...)? It seems dogmatic.
I read you are happier with the Parasound amps than the Mc amps you had, so that speaks volumes. (Me, I'm wanting to keep heat to a minimum wherever possible though it's not a deal breaker) I'm considering a MX151 with an ATI Signature 6000 series Amp pairing if not the MC8207 and am leaning heavily towards the ATI. I have heard neither in person, and I've read that the Mc only shines with some mods...but really comes alive as such. The same Question for DVD/CD Transport - AV Proc pairing? Of course my question is directed aside from the proprietary interface connections some brands offer (like Mc)...is this mindset utter nonsense, or does it bear some weight? I haven't had any negative experiences mixing brands before, but I've never owned Mc, either. I'm hearing with Mc transport/pre/pro should all be Mc...and I'm not convinced. If I get the MVP891 transport and pair it with a non-Mc pre, why should output quality suffer? What say ye?

Second Q (off topic) Reading your signature- how long have you had your Sony projector and what are your thoughts after having it awhile- overall pic quality, greyscale & black levels? Thank you Thrang, sir.
Crunchyriff is offline  
post #693 of 722 Old 04-21-2015, 08:27 AM
Senior Member
 
netroamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my own world!
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchyriff View Post
Thrang-

Wanted to ask you two questions if I may, first one on-topic:
You now use your MX151 with a non-Mc power section, what is your opinion about the mindset that maintaining proprietary pairing is best- (Mc Pre should be paired with a Mc Amp, Onkyo w/Onkyo, etc...)? It seems dogmatic.
I read you are happier with the Parasound amps than the Mc amps you had, so that speaks volumes. (Me, I'm wanting to keep heat to a minimum wherever possible though it's not a deal breaker) I'm considering a MX151 with an ATI Signature 6000 series Amp pairing if not the MC8207 and am leaning heavily towards the ATI. I have heard neither in person, and I've read that the Mc only shines with some mods...but really comes alive as such. The same Question for DVD/CD Transport - AV Proc pairing? Of course my question is directed aside from the proprietary interface connections some brands offer (like Mc)...is this mindset utter nonsense, or does it bear some weight? I haven't had any negative experiences mixing brands before, but I've never owned Mc, either. I'm hearing with Mc transport/pre/pro should all be Mc...and I'm not convinced. If I get the MVP891 transport and pair it with a non-Mc pre, why should output quality suffer? What say ye?

Second Q (off topic) Reading your signature- how long have you had your Sony projector and what are your thoughts after having it awhile- overall pic quality, greyscale & black levels? Thank you Thrang, sir.
I pulled my 3-MC601's and 2-MC302's and replaced them with 7 Parasound JC-1's and I could not be happier. I don't agree that there is a need for brand compatibility.

John

Last edited by netroamer; 04-21-2015 at 08:34 AM.
netroamer is offline  
post #694 of 722 Old 04-21-2015, 08:43 AM
Senior Member
 
netroamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my own world!
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED View Post
MX160 is Confirmed by a close friend at the "factory"

Feature set is still up in the air.
I was told by a contact at Mac that the MX160 would be released last summer, then fall, then nothing. It would be foolish now to release anything that was not Atmos/DTS-X ready. As I have no interest in either I am ready to dump my MX-150, as I am tired of waiting for Mac to fix the firmware issues they created when they issued the new Beta firmware last May. I would replace it with a Bryston SP-3 that is now 4k.

John

Last edited by netroamer; 04-21-2015 at 01:18 PM.
netroamer is offline  
post #695 of 722 Old 04-21-2015, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
thezaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Laveen, AZ
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
I was told by a contact at Mac that the MX160 would be released last summer, then fall, then nothing. It would be foolish now to release anything that was not Atmos/DTS-X ready. As I have no interest in either I am ready to dump my MX-150, as I am tired of waiting for Mac to fix the firmware issues they created when they issued the new Beta firmware last May. I would replace it with a Bryston SP-3 that is now 4k.
I dumped my MX-151 and I am going to try the Emotiva XMC-1. I know, it sounds a bit crazy, but some respected folks have had great reports on it. Kal is going to report on it in the next issue of Stereophile. It has Dirac Live. I will get the unit on Thursday and set it up this weekend. I don't care about Atmos/DTS-X at this point, since my room won't support it. I have a great room (family room+dining room+kitchen), and my four rear speakers are already in the ceiling, since there is not a "back" of the room to set some floorstanders.

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
thezaks is offline  
post #696 of 722 Old 04-21-2015, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,531
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchyriff View Post
Thrang-

Wanted to ask you two questions if I may, first one on-topic:
You now use your MX151 with a non-Mc power section, what is your opinion about the mindset that maintaining proprietary pairing is best- (Mc Pre should be paired with a Mc Amp, Onkyo w/Onkyo, etc...)? It seems dogmatic.
I read you are happier with the Parasound amps than the Mc amps you had, so that speaks volumes. (Me, I'm wanting to keep heat to a minimum wherever possible though it's not a deal breaker) I'm considering a MX151 with an ATI Signature 6000 series Amp pairing if not the MC8207 and am leaning heavily towards the ATI. I have heard neither in person, and I've read that the Mc only shines with some mods...but really comes alive as such. The same Question for DVD/CD Transport - AV Proc pairing? Of course my question is directed aside from the proprietary interface connections some brands offer (like Mc)...is this mindset utter nonsense, or does it bear some weight? I haven't had any negative experiences mixing brands before, but I've never owned Mc, either. I'm hearing with Mc transport/pre/pro should all be Mc...and I'm not convinced. If I get the MVP891 transport and pair it with a non-Mc pre, why should output quality suffer? What say ye?

Second Q (off topic) Reading your signature- how long have you had your Sony projector and what are your thoughts after having it awhile- overall pic quality, greyscale & black levels? Thank you Thrang, sir.
I don't see any particular need. I suppose there might be some subtle difference between output voltages and amp gain stages that might create some minor differences, but whether that's an issue of any legitimacy, I've not experienced it. I suppose an electrical engineer could comment further.

I too went to JC1's and find them stunning with my MX-151

Quality of the 1100 remains stellar, still rich black levels and excellent greyscale and color uniformity

Listening: Constantinople from "Modern Cool" by Patricia Barber (Rating 8/10) • Watching: "Captain America: The First Avenger" (Blu Ray ISO) (Rating 9/10)
Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - McIntosh MX-151 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k
thrang is online now  
post #697 of 722 Old 04-21-2015, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,531
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
I was told by a contact at Mac that the MX160 would be released last summer, then fall, then nothing. It would be foolish now to release anything that was not Atmos/DTS-X ready. As I have no interest in either I am ready to dump my MX-150, as I am tired of waiting for Mac to fix the firmware issues they created when they issued the new Beta firmware last May. I would replace it with a Bryston SP-3 that is now 4k.
FWIW, a fellow AVS'er and I compared the SP3 and MX-151 side my side in the same room, and the MX was better.

Listening: Constantinople from "Modern Cool" by Patricia Barber (Rating 8/10) • Watching: "Captain America: The First Avenger" (Blu Ray ISO) (Rating 9/10)
Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - McIntosh MX-151 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k
thrang is online now  
post #698 of 722 Old 04-21-2015, 03:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Crunchyriff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: E SF Bay Area, CA.
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thrang & netroamer-

Thank you so much for confirming what I've already suspected. Too many successful ala carte A/V systems represented here to give the brand pairing any credibility. I was wondering if I missed anything besides marketing hype/bias. I guess not. All imho, and you have given yours.

TY Thrang for the Sony feedback. Confirmed my gut feelings about this projector. I'd like to see how it stacks up against the Sim2 SuperLumis.

FWIW, I've been a huge Parasound fan for years- really admired what they have done, although I've not owned anything by them.
Crunchyriff is offline  
post #699 of 722 Old 04-21-2015, 05:20 PM
Senior Member
 
netroamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my own world!
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
FWIW, a fellow AVS'er and I compared the SP3 and MX-151 side my side in the same room, and the MX was better.
I have asked for a SP-3 for home eval so I may compare the two in my space.

I have three areas of interest in processor performance.
  • Analog 2-channel pass through. I want to compare the SP-3 to the A/D-D/A processing of the MX-150.
  • The SP-3 DAC's vs the MX-150 for playback of my BDP-2.
  • The 7.1 theater processing.
Was your conclusion that the Mac was superior in all?

John
netroamer is offline  
post #700 of 722 Old 04-21-2015, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,531
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
I have asked for a SP-3 for home eval so I may compare the two in my space.

I have three areas of interest in processor performance.
  • Analog 2-channel pass through. I want to compare the SP-3 to the A/D-D/A processing of the MX-150.
  • The SP-3 DAC's vs the MX-150 for playback of my BDP-2.
  • The 7.1 theater processing.
Was your conclusion that the Mac was superior in all?
I only compared them for movies...the MX always sounded cleaner and more effortless, with slightly better surround bubble, panning, and placement

While I do use the MX for two channel, I would never look for analog pass-through as I would want to use Room Perfect. I find it very effective even for music.

In fact, the lack of room correction might be some of why the SP3 didn't compare as well for soundtracks for me. I completely don't buy Bryston's position on eschewing room correction in their processor.

Listening: Constantinople from "Modern Cool" by Patricia Barber (Rating 8/10) • Watching: "Captain America: The First Avenger" (Blu Ray ISO) (Rating 9/10)
Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - McIntosh MX-151 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k
thrang is online now  
post #701 of 722 Old 04-21-2015, 08:25 PM
Senior Member
 
wagnerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a huge McIntosh fan, but my Bryston SP3 is very special!
wagnerc is online now  
post #702 of 722 Old 04-21-2015, 09:58 PM
Senior Member
 
uderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fitchburg,MA
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Mx-121 also has true analog pass through. It shares one board which has hdmi i/o, dolby/dts decoder, audysey xt and abt2015 video processing chip with Marantz AV7005. The rest is very similar to mx-150/151. Same power section. I don't remember for sure but I think 121/150/151 have akm dacs.

I have electrostatic speakers so room correction doesn't work(not needed) so I use mx-121 in direct mode.

Phono inputs on these units are mm only and not that great. I will move to a c2300 for analog gear and the new 160 for ht.
uderman is offline  
post #703 of 722 Old 04-22-2015, 09:45 AM
Member
 
rahivictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mc with B and W 802d

I'm buying a b and w 802d system with the matching center and celing mounted surround speakers. My dealer sells Mc and is really pushing it. Sound was lovely, but the speakers need a lot of power. Not sure the 7 channel mc amp is enough and can't afford to buy two separate amps right now. Would really appreciate some feedback from Mc owners in particular if you also own b and w speakers. Any other manufacturers that would work well, I'm open to. I'm partial to krell, but it's even more expensive for their seven channel! I'd go and listen to other dealers, but the city I live in has nothing, and I need to go from Canada to the US to even here the B&w/ Mc system.

Help!!

thanks in advance.
rahivictory is offline  
post #704 of 722 Old 04-22-2015, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
thezaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Laveen, AZ
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahivictory View Post
I'm buying a b and w 802d system with the matching center and celing mounted surround speakers. My dealer sells Mc and is really pushing it. Sound was lovely, but the speakers need a lot of power. Not sure the 7 channel mc amp is enough and can't afford to buy two separate amps right now. Would really appreciate some feedback from Mc owners in particular if you also own b and w speakers. Any other manufacturers that would work well, I'm open to. I'm partial to krell, but it's even more expensive for their seven channel! I'd go and listen to other dealers, but the city I live in has nothing, and I need to go from Canada to the US to even here the B&w/ Mc system.

Help!!

thanks in advance.
The new ATI Signature AT6007 amplifier has been very well liked by reviewers - looks like a great amplifier. Should be plenty of power, and it's less expensive than the Krell. I have a Krell S-1500 7 channel amp right now, but if you're looking at the new Krell Chorus amps, they have some large fans in them. That's what turned me away from the new Krell. I almost pulled the trigger on the ATI, but I chose to wait for the Theta Dreadnaught D, which will be coming out in a month or so and is a bit more expensive.

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
thezaks is offline  
post #705 of 722 Old 04-22-2015, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
scanido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto Suburbs
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahivictory View Post
I'm buying a b and w 802d system with the matching center and celing mounted surround speakers. My dealer sells Mc and is really pushing it. Sound was lovely, but the speakers need a lot of power. Not sure the 7 channel mc amp is enough and can't afford to buy two separate amps right now. Would really appreciate some feedback from Mc owners in particular if you also own b and w speakers. Any other manufacturers that would work well, I'm open to. I'm partial to krell, but it's even more expensive for their seven channel! I'd go and listen to other dealers, but the city I live in has nothing, and I need to go from Canada to the US to even here the B&w/ Mc system.

Help!!

thanks in advance.
I've got 802D2s and McIntosh. Started off with the MC205, which is pretty much equivalent to the MC207, and the sound was nice. Upgraded to the MC452 and the sound really opened up and became effortless. Finally upgraded to my current MC601 and the 802's now sing like never before. It is like the MC452 but to a slighter higher level. I would be happy with the MC452 at a minimum as the extra power was indeed noticeable over the Multi-Channel amps.

See Profile
scanido is offline  
post #706 of 722 Old 04-22-2015, 02:47 PM
Senior Member
 
netroamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my own world!
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
I only compared them for movies...the MX always sounded cleaner and more effortless, with slightly better surround bubble, panning, and placement

While I do use the MX for two channel, I would never look for analog pass-through as I would want to use Room Perfect. I find it very effective even for music.

In fact, the lack of room correction might be some of why the SP3 didn't compare as well for soundtracks for me. I completely don't buy Bryston's position on eschewing room correction in their processor.
I never cared for the "Room Perfect" effect and do not use it. The speakers were always out of balance, especially the surrounds and rears.

John
netroamer is offline  
post #707 of 722 Old 04-22-2015, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,531
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 327
I don't think the MX and Room Perfect ever get the channel balance exactly right, but it's easy enough to tweak them in the gain offset menu for each position - it's really outstanding at least in my experience
thrang is online now  
post #708 of 722 Old 04-22-2015, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
thezaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Laveen, AZ
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
I don't think the MX and Room Perfect ever get the channel balance exactly right, but it's easy enough to tweak them in the gain offset menu for each position - it's really outstanding at least in my experience
I agree. RP is better than Audyssey, and I'm hoping Dirac Live (Emotiva XMC-1) will be better than Audyssey as well. I'll soon find out over the next week or two...

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
thezaks is offline  
post #709 of 722 Old 04-23-2015, 08:30 AM
Senior Member
 
netroamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my own world!
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[QUOTE=I have electrostatic speakers so room correction doesn't work(not needed) so I use mx-121 in direct mode.[/QUOTE]

When my MX-150 was first installed, the McIntosh engineer, Ron, came to the house to setup the unit and run Room Perfect. At that time I had My Martin Logan CLX-s, Stage, and Stylos speakers and he had no issue with running Room Perfect with this setup. I subsequently did not care for the result and shut off Room Perfect. I would be interested in your thinking.

John
netroamer is offline  
post #710 of 722 Old 04-23-2015, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,531
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
When my MX-150 was first installed, the McIntosh engineer, Ron, came to the house to setup the unit and run Room Perfect. At that time I had My Martin Logan CLX-s, Stage, and Stylos speakers and he had no issue with running Room Perfect with this setup. I subsequently did not care for the result and shut off Room Perfect. I would be interested in your thinking.
Unfortunately, most of the Macintosh personnel don't know the details of their own product. I know that Ron is a lead trainer for them, but not having developed Room Perfect or awareness of the engineering and how the firmware works, it possible he assumed the the levels were fine...heck I assumed that for a while, but I had subtle sense of imbalance in my ears for a while until I checked each channel with REW and the Spears and Munsil audio test tones for each focus position. Then you see they are not necessarily correct.

But it's easy to fix this as well.

Listening: Constantinople from "Modern Cool" by Patricia Barber (Rating 8/10) • Watching: "Captain America: The First Avenger" (Blu Ray ISO) (Rating 9/10)
Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - McIntosh MX-151 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k
thrang is online now  
post #711 of 722 Old 04-23-2015, 04:31 PM
Senior Member
 
uderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fitchburg,MA
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I discussed this with peter from martin logan a number of times. He is very familiar with mcintosh products. He uses mc products on shows. He doesn't recommend any room correction on electrostats unless you can limit the correction to the lowest octave. On clx, it doesn't produce the bottom octave anyway so no room correction needed. On summits or alike the lower frequencies are handled by a conventional woofer so correction is recommended only on this range.

line source speakers are little effected by the room acoustics. Room correction sw are usually not desinged for them but point source speakers.

Now I read somewhere that room perfect mostly works on the bass and leaves high frequencies alone. This is desirable if correct. You can tweak the levels manually and make it work right. It is a lot of labor on the tweaking.

I am thinking clx + balanced force 210 subs each speaker with pbk room eq kit. No room correct on the clx towers and subs will fix themself with their own room eq. Also a c2300 analog pre amp for music.

Jl audio subs are another option but more expensive.

Eithet case no room eq for me. I am awaiting the new mx 160 for atmos(and c2300 for music). If it comes with some room eq, I will try it but not anticipating much from it.

As for amps, mc303 is bare minimum for electrostats. Mc452 and higher is recommended. According to peter from martin logan, mc2301 tube amps sound the best.
uderman is offline  
post #712 of 722 Old 04-25-2015, 07:34 AM
Member
 
rblankster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblankster View Post
I'll pump the McIntosh rep on whats new at Axpona 2015 later this month which happens to be across the street from my office.

http://www.axpona.com/
Per the McIntosh rep at Axpona last night (he was the head of sales) - "The replacement for the MX151 is virtually ready and its going to be a huge release" No specifics on what huge implied, but seemed to indicate extensive technology behind the new product. Also would not reveal what the model number will be. he did mention the remaining MX151s will cycle out over the next year. Bottom line looks like the release will be very soon.

RF-7 II, RC64 II, RS62 II
Klipsch R-115SW & Velodyne FSR-15 SW
McIntosh MC205 Amplifier (200W plus X5)
Marantz AV7701 HT Processor - Running as 5.1
Sony KDL-60NX810 TV
OPPO BDP-95 Blu-Ray
rblankster is offline  
post #713 of 722 Old 04-25-2015, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
G-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Some are saying that the processor will be unveiled at the Show Newport (audio show in CA May 28-31). I have not confirmed this personally.
G-Rex is online now  
post #714 of 722 Old 04-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Senior Member
 
uderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fitchburg,MA
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Obviously its going to have atmos/aura/x but how many channels? 7.1.4 like most or more?
uderman is offline  
post #715 of 722 Old 04-25-2015, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
G-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have read elsewhere that the processor can do Atmos with 13.4 channels (once again unconfirmed).
G-Rex is online now  
post #716 of 722 Old 04-25-2015, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,531
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 327
I just hope they don't go Datasat with the pricing or configuration...perhaps they keep the 151 and drop it in price, and add the 160 or whatever its called in the 13-14k range

Listening: Constantinople from "Modern Cool" by Patricia Barber (Rating 8/10) • Watching: "Captain America: The First Avenger" (Blu Ray ISO) (Rating 9/10)
Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - McIntosh MX-151 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k
thrang is online now  
post #717 of 722 Old 04-25-2015, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
G-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yeah, I am a bit concerned this processor will get into the upper teens to low 20s. 13k-14k would be a great price point. I don't think pricing it as high as the Datasat would be wise.

If it has speaker location remapping (like the Trinnov 32) and/or is of a modular/upgradeable design, then it's going to be very pricey.

Last edited by G-Rex; 04-25-2015 at 07:11 PM.
G-Rex is online now  
post #718 of 722 Old 04-25-2015, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,531
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Yeah, I am a bit concerned this processor will get into the upper teens to low 20s. 13k-14k would be a great price point. I don't think pricing it as high as the Datasat would be wise.

If it has speaker location remapping (like the Trinnov 32) and/or is of a modular/upgradeable design, then it's going to be very pricey.
No, the high end is already sparse with buyers...modular design doesn't seem like McIntosh, though anythings possible.

I hope they don't get too ambitious - they're not a digital company at heart, unless they've farmed this out to someone else...
OzHDHT likes this.

Listening: Constantinople from "Modern Cool" by Patricia Barber (Rating 8/10) • Watching: "Captain America: The First Avenger" (Blu Ray ISO) (Rating 9/10)
Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - McIntosh MX-151 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k
thrang is online now  
post #719 of 722 Old 04-26-2015, 05:56 PM
Member
 
rahivictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
I've got 802D2s and McIntosh. Started off with the MC205, which is pretty much equivalent to the MC207, and the sound was nice. Upgraded to the MC452 and the sound really opened up and became effortless. Finally upgraded to my current MC601 and the 802's now sing like never before. It is like the MC452 but to a slighter higher level. I would be happy with the MC452 at a minimum as the extra power was indeed noticeable over the Multi-Channel amps.
Thx. That's what I found at the dealer when they switched it in as well. It's a huge investment though. The 601 is gorgeous, but I don't want to spend that kind of money yet…

Wondering if anyone has tried the emotive mono blocks?
rahivictory is offline  
post #720 of 722 Old 04-26-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
adidino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahivictory View Post
Thx. That's what I found at the dealer when they switched it in as well. It's a huge investment though. The 601 is gorgeous, but I don't want to spend that kind of money yet…

Wondering if anyone has tried the emotive mono blocks?
Had the 601's for a while.. eventually settled in with the Halo JC1 monoblocks. Excellent amps for the money...
adidino is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off