The Official Mcintosh Labs MX-151 & MX150 Owner's Thread - Page 25 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #721 of 730 Old 04-27-2015, 10:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 134
As much as I really liked the MX151 I am in love with the Datasat RS20i and it doing Auramatic sound. Will I check out a new model from McIntosh? Absolutely!

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Datasat combo using Auro-3D:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1426295399824
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 730 Old 04-27-2015, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
As much as I really liked the MX151 I am in love with the Datasat RS20i and it doing Auramatic sound. Will I check out a new model from McIntosh? Absolutely!

Joe, I'd love to do up the new HT I'm about to fit out with an RS20i instead of an 8802, let alone whatever Mc bring out eventually. However, as at yesterday I just found out the upgrade for my other mediaroom with SL to take it up to Auro/ATMOS with the their P200 processor and 5 more channels of speakers and amps is going to set me back $62k all up . I have to start paying that upgrade off now so it can be done in probably July. The scary thing is I'll spend a fraction of the upgrade cost fitting out the bigger HT in the house I just bought with my existing gear, trading the MX-150, adding some extra speakers and amps. Its going to have been one expensive year for me in the hobby by the time July rolls around!

post #723 of 730 Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hey thrang and adidino,

Just wondering if you could share your thoughts on your experiences with Dirac Live. I had thought you had heard and worked with someone on a Datasat product previously.

Also, have you considered at all the Lyngdorf P200?

Dave
post #724 of 730 Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post

Dave
Dave, just out of interest, I have a P200 going into replace the existing less than a year old P1 in my 'smallish' SL S-series system around July. System is being expanded to full ATMOS/Auro capability. An eye-wateringly costly upgrade, that I was close to canning until my dealer said I could spread the payment over the next 4 months! My other room which will house whatever I replace the MX-150 with (an 8802 at this stage) and take up to full ATMOS/Auro config from existing 5.1 equipment, will be a fraction of the cost of the P200 upgrade. If I didn't already have SL gear in that other location, no way would I have gone for the P200, conversely no way would I ever contemplate a P200 full system replacement of my MX-150 based Revel/Anthem system for the equiv sized SL system, just way too OTT in $$ terms.

Last edited by OzHDHT; Yesterday at 07:29 PM.
post #725 of 730 Old Today, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Dave, just out of interest, I have a P200 going into replace the existing less than a year old P1 in my 'smallish' SL S-series system around July. System is being expanded to full ATMOS/Auro capability. An eye-wateringly costly upgrade, that I was close to canning until my dealer said I could spread the payment over the next 4 months! My other room which will house whatever I replace the MX-150 with (an 8802 at this stage) and take up to full ATMOS/Auro config from existing 5.1 equipment, will be a fraction of the cost of the P200 upgrade. If I didn't already have SL gear in that other location, no way would I have gone for the P200, conversely no way would I ever contemplate a P200 full system replacement of my MX-150 based Revel/Anthem system for the equiv sized SL system, just way too OTT in $$ terms.
Interesting. You are getting a P200, but almost already sounding like you are regretting your purchase. It will be interesting to hear your comparison of the 8802 vs the MX-150, as well as your opinion of the P200, once you get some time with it.

Dave
post #726 of 730 Old Today, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Hey thrang and adidino,

Just wondering if you could share your thoughts on your experiences with Dirac Live. I had thought you had heard and worked with someone on a Datasat product previously.

Dave
We had a couple of demos about a year or so ago that were not impressive, but we ascribe that to less than optimal rooms and setups, so can't really comment further.

Datasat causes me mild concern regarding their long term viability in the marketplace, cost, and resaleability given it's somewhat custom nature. But I'm open and would like to re-listen.

P200 is also very niche and expensive. I'm increasingly certain the days of $10k processors are not necessary, unless they offer a large number channels for big installations or other specialized features, neither of which I foresee for me.

If the 8802/Audyssey leaves me feeling shortchanged, I'd look at the new MX in the future if they didn't get stupid with pricing, chiefly because of how much I enjoy the 151 and the utilization of Room Perfect.

Listening: Constantinople from "Modern Cool" by Patricia Barber (Rating 8/10) • Watching: "Captain America: The First Avenger" (Blu Ray ISO) (Rating 9/10)
Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - McIntosh MX-151 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k
post #727 of 730 Old Today, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
If the 8802/Audyssey leaves me feeling shortchanged, I'd look at the new MX in the future if they didn't get stupid with pricing, chiefly because of how much I enjoy the 151 and the utilization of Room Perfect.
Thanks so much for you input, and I pretty much agree. I really enjoyed my time with the 151 and RP. Are you in the process of trying the 8802? If so, I really look forward to your comments!

Dave
post #728 of 730 Old Today, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Thanks so much for you input, and I pretty much agree. I really enjoyed my time with the 151 and RP. Are you in the process of trying the 8802? If so, I really look forward to your comments!

Dave
In about three weeks...

Listening: Constantinople from "Modern Cool" by Patricia Barber (Rating 8/10) • Watching: "Captain America: The First Avenger" (Blu Ray ISO) (Rating 9/10)
Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - McIntosh MX-151 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k
post #729 of 730 Old Today, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
In about three weeks...
I thought something might be happening on that front

Dave
post #730 of 730 Old Today, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting. You are getting a P200, but almost already sounding like you are regretting your purchase. It will be interesting to hear your comparison of the 8802 vs the MX-150, as well as your opinion of the P200, once you get some time with it.

Dave
I decided on the upgrade when I was told there would be one back when my P1 was first getting installed. That was a a couple of months before the announcement of the P200 at Cedia, which got me even more excited when I read the feedback from the demos. I had started to try to anticipate the likely outlay for the upgrade to the P200, know the P1 would be traded in. My rep from the dealer finally came through with the costing for the entire upgrade with the extra channels and required amplification 3 weeks ago. I seriously nearly fell out my chair as the cost is essentially what the initial system itself cost, just for the upgrade or more than the replacement cost of my entire MX-150/Revel/Anthem system. So you can probably understand my reaction to a degree, deep breath material without a doubt. There's going to be a slight problem with being able to truly compare the MX-150 with 8802 as it's getting traded in before the new room is set up, so I won't have anything like the same room dynamics to enable a true comparison. The P200 I can certainly compare in the same room as the P1, I'm pretty sure though sonically it will sound very similar to the P1 with the addition of the extra channels.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page