The Official Mcintosh Labs MX-151 & MX150 Owner's Thread - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 28Likes
post #841 of 869 Old 07-17-2015, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
You should find a new dealer...what a maroon....
I assume you mean moron. While I don't have the expertise to agree or disagree, care to enlighten me (us) as to why that is your opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 869 Old 07-17-2015, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Maroon is urban slang to describe someone so dim-witted they could not actually spell moron correctly, so it is used with reasonable accuracy here.

When someone claims an industry standard technology, in development for years, and now common on almost any high end, mid range, and even a good percentage of entry level products, has been tested as reliable up to a one foot cable distance, doesn't even the faint smell of cow dung waft up?

Rather, perhaps that someone is trying obfuscate the fact that the manufacturer screwed up by omitting essential technology, that absent, renders the product at the bottom end of a technology bell curve when, from a cost perspective, it should be built to deliver core functionality for several years?

Basic 4k blu ray will get by with 10.2, but 60 frame, deeper color depth, HDR, and other forthcoming features will need 18
gsr likes this.
post #843 of 869 Old 08-03-2015, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
End of August perhaps?
post #844 of 869 Old 08-03-2015, 03:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by uderman View Post
End of August perhaps?
I checked with my dealer a couple of days ago, and he was told by McIntosh that the first 50 MX160's would be shipping in August. No, he didn't specify which year.

More seriously, he said mine would be one of that first 50, and he hopes to get it by the last week of this month. Fingers crossed.

John
post #845 of 869 Old 08-03-2015, 04:26 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR0317 View Post
I checked with my dealer a couple of days ago, and he was told by McIntosh that the first 50 MX160's would be shipping in August. No, he didn't specify which year.

More seriously, he said mine would be one of that first 50, and he hopes to get it by the last week of this month. Fingers crossed.
Price please any brochures yet!

RoomPerfect room correction technology is taht better than DIRAC?

McIntosh MX160

4K Ultra HD A/V Processor – Available to Pre-Order

The MX160 audio/video processor brings McIntosh-quality 4K to your home theater for the first time ever.
The newest MX-series processor supports the latest in digital audio and video technologies available and yet to come.
This new audio/video processor supports:
  • 4K Ultra High Definition native video and upscaling
  • Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D
  • DTS:X (new from DTS, still unreleased)
  • RoomPerfect room correction technology
  • 11.1-channel surround sound in a 7.1.4 configuration
  • Up to 32-bit/384kHz audio signals
You can watch movies and TV in 4,096-by-2,160 pixel resolution with the MX160.
Some other MX160 specifications include:
  • HDMI inputs: 8
  • HDMI outputs: 4
  • HDBaseT output: 1
  • Balanced outputs: up to 11.1 surround sound (also known as 7.1.4)
  • USB input: 1, up to 32-bit/384kHz signals
  • Optical inputs: 4
  • Coax inputs: 3
  • XLR connection: 1
  • Analog audio inputs: 2 balanced and 4 unbalanced
  • Phono input: 1 dedicated
  • Multichannel unbalanced audio inputs: up to 7.1
  • Fully customizable inputs (name and volume level)
  • Black glass front panel, knobs, illuminated logo, and brushed-aluminum end caps
We know this much about it, and will update this page for you as we learn more.
post #846 of 869 Old 08-03-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MSRP is $14,000.

John
post #847 of 869 Old 08-04-2015, 08:32 PM

It looks like 9GHz HDMI 2.0 can do 2160p60 at 8 bit 4:2:0, 2160p24/30 at 10 bit 4:4:4. I can guarantee you actual film discs will be encoded in 2160p24 at 10 bit 4:2:0.

I am more interested in finding out if this is a 11ch or 12ch without subs. The back pic shows 11.5 (lfe+4 aux). Can you assign one of those aux to be VOG? Denon and Marantz have 2 lfe outputs(11.2) each and in case you want VOG, you switch one of the two SW outputs to a VOG ch for 12.1. Another matter is do I really need Auro 3D? There are a handful discs in Auro 3D and none interest me so far. Will atmos and x be dominating on most uhd bds? I am interested to know because then I will decide how many amps I need

Wanted:
Theta Voyager - Working/Not Working
Muse/Hi-Vision Discs - Mint/Complete Only!
post #848 of 869 Old 08-05-2015, 03:34 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR0317 View Post
MSRP is $14,000.

Oh my that's a bit rich for my blood these days

Does anyone have a demo setup that I could listen to in Southern California?
post #849 of 869 Old 08-06-2015, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Maroon is urban slang to describe someone so dim-witted they could not actually spell moron correctly, so it is used with reasonable accuracy here.

When someone claims an industry standard technology, in development for years, and now common on almost any high end, mid range, and even a good percentage of entry level products, has been tested as reliable up to a one foot cable distance, doesn't even the faint smell of cow dung waft up?

Rather, perhaps that someone is trying obfuscate the fact that the manufacturer screwed up by omitting essential technology, that absent, renders the product at the bottom end of a technology bell curve when, from a cost perspective, it should be built to deliver core functionality for several years?

Basic 4k blu ray will get by with 10.2, but 60 frame, deeper color depth, HDR, and other forthcoming features will need 18

Don't know about it being urban slang, but I always associated it with this guy...

gsr and thrang like this.
post #850 of 869 Old 08-24-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Oh my that's a bit rich for my blood these days

Does anyone have a demo setup that I could listen to in Southern California?
Mine, too.
post #851 of 869 Old 08-25-2015, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Mine, too.
Spare a thought for us down in Oz... I'm told RRP will be $A25,000 thanks to our screwed exchange rate and the middleman importer adding his bit

post #852 of 869 Old 08-27-2015, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Same here for us Canucks. With the cad-use exchange the msrp would be close to $20k!!!
post #853 of 869 Old 08-28-2015, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

I have the oppurtunity to purchase a Marantz AV8802A, but i would obviously have to sell my MX. You think I should go for it? Is sound quality inline between the two?

See Profile
post #854 of 869 Old 08-28-2015, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
I have the oppurtunity to purchase a Marantz AV8802A, but i would obviously have to sell my MX. You think I should go for it? Is sound quality inline between the two?

I gave up my MX-150 2 months ago for the 8802. I finally got to move all of my equipment into a new house and dedicated HT. I took the opp to add in rears and ATMOS speakers. Only thing left is that I'm waiting on a second sub. So far in this new setup, for which I've also switched to good quality XLRs, I'm am quite impressed with the results. Whether the new MX-160 would be better yet again is another story I guess. But so far no longer missing my MX-150.
thrang likes this.

post #855 of 869 Old 08-29-2015, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
I gave up my MX-150 2 months ago for the 8802. I finally got to move all of my equipment into a new house and dedicated HT. I took the opp to add in rears and ATMOS speakers. Only thing left is that I'm waiting on a second sub. So far in this new setup, for which I've also switched to good quality XLRs, I'm am quite impressed with the results. Whether the new MX-160 would be better yet again is another story I guess. But so far no longer missing my MX-150.

Audyssey vs RP?

Dave
post #856 of 869 Old 08-29-2015, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Audyssey vs RP?

Dave
I'm a big RP fan personally, have another surround system that also uses it and 2ch amp with it as well. I was skeptical going back to Audyssey. So far with the pro kit for setup and a good room, its performing very well. I never got to compare RP in this new room unfortunately. I am very curious about the MX-160 with the cost being the biggest obstacle.
thrang likes this.

post #857 of 869 Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

Any news? Delayed again?

Wanted:
post #858 of 869 Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Any news? Delayed again?
McIntosh needs a

I heard now year end...
post #859 of 869 Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Yup...don't hold your breath for it. Glad I didn't sell my 151 yet as I would have been without a processor for many months. Hopefully the delays mean specs have changed and they came to their senses regarding the HDMI.

Last edited by G-Rex; Yesterday at 07:58 PM.
post #860 of 869 Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM

They are probably waiting on 18gbps chips at least on a couple of inputs and the outputs.

Wanted:
post #861 of 869 Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

I will gladly wait if that's what they are up to.
post #862 of 869 Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Thanks for providing your experience. I decided to holf off from any proc changes for now.

See Profile
post #863 of 869 Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
Thanks for providing your experience. I decided to holf off from any proc changes for now.

No probs. Guess we won't be holding our breath for the MX-160 to arrive. Meanwhile I'll kick back and keep enjoying my 7.2.4 system while McIntosh get there sh*t together...

post #864 of 869 Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM

It is a difficult time to build an Ht around Uhd and atmos/x/auro

I can't figure how many 18gbps capable hdmi inputs I am going to need. All I know is initially we will get av ssp/vps with 1 or 2 hdmi inputs which are capable of 18gbps input. The rest of the 4-6 inputs will most likely be 10gbps only.

Almost certainly one 18gbps input will be reserved for the uhd bd player. Will the initial uhd bd players have most of the popular streaming apps available? Will I need another box for netflix, vudu, amazon etc? That's another 18gbps input if you want 10 bit video. How about set top boxes? Uhd tivo?

Wanted:
post #865 of 869 Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It is a difficult time to build an Ht around Uhd and atmos/x/auro

I can't figure how many 18gbps capable hdmi inputs I am going to need. All I know is initially we will get av ssp/vps with 1 or 2 hdmi inputs which are capable of 18gbps input. The rest of the 4-6 inputs will most likely be 10gbps only.

Almost certainly one 18gbps input will be reserved for the uhd bd player. Will the initial uhd bd players have most of the popular streaming apps available? Will I need another box for netflix, vudu, amazon etc? That's another 18gbps input if you want 10 bit video. How about set top boxes? Uhd tivo?
Well, all inputs should by 2.0a capable. If you're saying that McIntosh would limit it two one or two in the hasty re-do, they are more rudderless than I thought. Virtual any device at a fraction of the price is outfitted with all 2.0a HDMI. How could they possibly not afford to do the same on a $14k device?
OzHDHT and scirica like this.
post #866 of 869 Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM

I totally agree with you but I think at least some of those claimed hdmi 2.0a devices have only 1-3 of their inputs true hdmi 2.0a and hdcp 2.2 capable. I honestly need only 1 hdmi 2.0a /hdcp 2.2 input as I hope to use the new lumagen pro for video. Either way I am not buying a single thing until uhd bd players are released and I know exactly what specs I need.

What do you guys think the mcintosh uhd bd player will be based of? Mc isn't a part of d&m anymore, can we expect an oppo based machine(i mean this in a positive way)? Is mcintosh generally fast to adapt to new disc formats? Can we expect the mvp901 soon after uhd bd players hit the market?

Wanted:
post #867 of 869 Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

I read somewhere in these forums that Oppo will not be releasing a UHD player until late 2016 or early 2017. If the McIntosh version is based on the Oppo platform then you are looking at an additional 6 months+ after the Oppo release.

My guess would be Panasonic, Sony and Samsung release immediately, with moderately priced players, with a high end Pioneer elite piece released shortly thereafter. Maybe we will learn more at the IFA show in Germany later in the week, or at the U.S. Show in October. I have always liked the high end Pioneer players, but if McIntosh built a killer piece, I would be very tempted, as long as the streaming capability was on par with the competition, which is something both Pioneer and McIntosh past players have neglected.
post #868 of 869 Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

The type of people who by the 160 will likely own reference displays. Samsung and Sony high end displays now come with HDR. Even Oled, which are not known for high nits output, are soon releasing the HDR capable 9500 Oled flat 65" model. Projectors will take more time.

McIntosh may have thought they could get away with HDMI 2.0 to cover the UHD resolution, fps spec, and basic color specs, but they have certainly underestimated the quick adoption of the HDR standard. If the delay has nothing to do with the implementation of the 18 gbps chipset, then they have really lost their way. I would think all inputs and outputs will either be 10.2 gbps or 18, and not a combination of both. If a last minute "fix" allowed only a few inputs and 1 output to be 18, then that would certainly be better than none at all.
post #869 of 869 Unread Today, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 26
A couple of months ago I bought a MX151 new in the box for less than half of retail from a guy who decided to order a MX160. He is a huge McIntosh fan and had the MX151 laying around unopened for a couple of months (I verified the build date with McIntosh). He was all fired up for the new unit because it was due in June and the MX151 had to go!... I wonder if he wishes he held on to the MX151 for a while?

Klipsch RF-7 II, RC64 II, RS62 II
Klipsch R-115SW & Velodyne FSR-15 SW
McIntosh MC205 Amplifier (200W plus X5)
McIntosh MX151 A/V Control Center
Sony KDL-60NX810 TV
OPPO BDP-93 Blu-Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page