The Official Mcintosh Labs MX-151 & MX150 Owner's Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 103Likes

Old 10-02-2015, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1449 Post(s)
Liked: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Can we all ease down a bit. It seems that whenever a company rep comes on AVS we drive them away with very critical comments. Reminds me of when a very knowledgable Pioneer rep came to the forums on the 09 thread. Didn't go so well and he is long gone. The 160s are obviously in a fairly early state. Things will be updated. Maybe it's a power supply issue or a loose wire/solder joint. Just because it shut down doesn't mean conclusively it's not an an isolated incident.

Chuck could be helpful here, but I would guess he is long gone. It would have been nice if he stayed and answered some spec questions which I am sure many of you have, I.e. why did they go with the last gen 10.2 gbps hdmi chipset which lacks HDR support?
Agreed...though as an aside, McIntosh never fixed issues with the 151 (aux outputs and LFE levels) which was frustrating for such a good product. Hopefully they've beefed up support mechanisms and will make firmware updates available direct to consumer, in a more formalized way (web site support section with downloads and release notes, or direct updates via Ethernet to the 160) to minimize dealer reliance for things that are simply click and load...

But yes, why 10.2 HDMI, and will McIntosh upgrade these units to 18 gbps boards at no or nominal costs whenever the current reluctance is removed (i.e. a 161?)

However, as good a guy as Chuck is, I'm not sure it's his domain to entertain this topic - but McIntosh at some level should.

Good to see you Chuck...

FS: JKP Affinity .09 Fixed Frame 2.35 screen, 12.5 feet wide - PM for details, ad not posted yet

Thrang's Home Theater, For Now...

Last edited by thrang; 10-02-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2015, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
European Union power saving regulations require units ship with auto off enabled.

Thank you G-Rex and you are right, this is why I don't normally answer questions on forums.

Vinh, If you read my post you would see I was not trying to suppress quality issues, I was hoping posts about problems I can quickly solve might include the solution.

I give up... how do I delete my account?
Old 10-02-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Too bad Chuck, hope you will reconsider, as we are typically a good crowd. Not sure what happened here.

This thread has been very beneficial for McIntosh as a whole, as we have sung praise for the 150/151 and have spread the word how great this processor is.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
What are you so angry about? It sounds like a setting was set incorrectly--could have been by the dealer. Obviously, if it is a default then that should be changed.

What makes you conclude that it is "sloppy" as there is not enough information to say that.

I'm all for saying products have problems when they do, but it seems like your response is in relation to something else going on...?

B.
Not angry at all and probably poor choice of word. But being an owner of the MX150 there are still some issues with the software that have yet to be addressed which Mcintosh wasn't quite responsive in fixing so my perception of the MX160 has somewhat left me in that same mindset of the software's quality that gets put out.

See Profile
Old 10-02-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
Not angry at all and probably poor choice of word. But being an owner of the MX150 there are still some issues with the software that have yet to be addressed which Mcintosh wasn't quite responsive in fixing so my perception of the MX160 has somewhat left me in that same mindset of the software's quality that gets put out.
Are you saying it is still not fixed? Why not take Chuck up on his offer and call him and see what can be done. Then you can report back.

B.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:28 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntosh tech sp View Post
European Union power saving regulations require units ship with auto off enabled.
Does this feature turn the pre-pro off if there's no remote control activity for a certain period of time or does something else trigger it? It just seems weird that it would auto power off in the middle of a movie being played as it would be normal for there to be no remote control activity during that time. Turning the feature off is definitely a good workaround, but it seems like the implementation of the feature may be flawed.

And please do stick around. AVS really is a friendly crowd for the most part and it really is appreciated by most people when a manufacturer rep comes by to join in on the discussion.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 89
As with many forum threads, there are friendly nice folks, and then there are rude and inconsiderate folks. Although I don't appreciate the rude and inconsiderate folks, I think that anyone who posts in these types of threads needs to have a little thicker skin - I think it's a bit naive to expect that all folks will be nice and friendly. When posting on behalf of a manufacturer, most posts coming to you will be more intended for the Company than for the individual, even thought it may seem to be targeted toward the individual.

Dave
Old 10-02-2015, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am a huge McIntosh fan!

I have considered the MX150/151 many times. I still have two MX119's and may pick up a friend's MX135. My older MX processors will be upgraded in the future and I would love to learn as much as I can about the MX160. The MX150/151 or MX160 may still be in my future. The MX150/151 had some limitations, so I bought a Bryston SP3 for my main system that has 3xMC501, 2xMC402, 2XMC252, C500T, MCD1100, MVP871. My other systems are mostly McIntosh too.

I hope Chuck comes back. I have set him a PM with some questions and I am waiting his reply. I wish McIntosh would participate on forums much more.

Last edited by wagnerc; 10-02-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cool MX-150 Software

Just picked-up a used MX150. Could someone post a link to the last software update to take MX150 to MX151. Or please email me the update.

Moving from NAD M15HD to Big Boys/Girls Club . My 1st gear from Mac.

Thanks in advance.
KE

Update : Our great Friend from McIntosh e-mailed me the file. Very Straightforward and nice to work with. Already enjoying the great customer service from Mac.
joerod likes this.

Last edited by KE_Houston; 10-05-2015 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Got the firmware from McIntosh direct
Old 10-05-2015, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE_Houston View Post
Just picked-up a used MX150. Could someone post a link to the last software update to take MX150 to MX151. Or please email me the update.

Thanks in advance.
KE
Congrats! I think you can get the latest firmware from McIntosh.

The price to performance ratio on any pre-owned MX150/151 is outstanding at the moment.

See Profile
Old 10-05-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Congrats! I think you can get the latest firmware from McIntosh.

The price to performance ratio on any pre-owned MX150/151 is outstanding at the moment.
Thank You Scanido. You were/are 100% correct. Just updated my above post. Our mutual Mac friend was very helpful Hope he does not leave this thread or the forum.

Last edited by KE_Houston; 10-05-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
KE

Update : Our great Friend from McIntosh e-mailed me the file. Very Straightforward and nice to work with. Already enjoying the great customer service from Mac.
Thread search is your friend . I'm positive I posted the latest update files when I got my MX-150 a bit of a year ago after McIntosh provided them to me.

Edit: I just checked and the hosting site dropped the links it seems. Unfort I'm not in front of the PC that has the email with firmware file. But if you'll bear with me I can probably dig it up tomorrow.

Last edited by OzHDHT; 10-05-2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
But yes, why 10.2 HDMI, and will McIntosh upgrade these units to 18 gbps boards at no or nominal costs whenever the current reluctance is removed (i.e. a 161).
When someone gets the answers to these HDMI questions please post. Has anyone contacted Chuck directly?

I will not consider buying this processor until I know its HDMI future roadmap.

Last edited by G-Rex; 10-06-2015 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Thread search is your friend . I'm positive I posted the latest update files when I got my MX-150 a bit of a year ago after McIntosh provided them to me.

Edit: I just checked and the hosting site dropped the links it seems. Unfort I'm not in front of the PC that has the email with firmware file. But if you'll bear with me I can probably dig it up tomorrow.
Hi OzHDHT,
Thanks for looking into this. I contacted McIntosh and Chuck was very helpful and he sent me the latest Firmware. Once again thank you.

Hope you are enjoying your 8802 in the New Room. I have enjoyed all the posts on it and MX150.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi OzHDHT,
Thanks for looking into this. I contacted McIntosh and Chuck was very helpful and he sent me the latest Firmware. Once again thank you.

Hope you are enjoying your 8802 in the New Room. I have enjoyed all the posts on it and MX150.
Hi KE_houston,

Can you enlighten us on why you chose the MX150 over the 8802, if that was something you were considering as well?

See Profile
Old 10-06-2015, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

I would be surprised if McIntosh would divulge the HDMI hardware specs. Can anyone please remind me why it would be important to have the 18Gbps chips?

See Profile
Old 10-06-2015, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I would be surprised if McIntosh would divulge the HDMI hardware specs. Can anyone please remind me why it would be important to have the 18Gbps chips?
Bandwidth for wider/deeper color standards and high dynamic range, and 4k60p

FS: JKP Affinity .09 Fixed Frame 2.35 screen, 12.5 feet wide - PM for details, ad not posted yet

Last edited by thrang; 10-06-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Hi KE_houston,

Can you enlighten us on why you chose the MX150 over the 8802, if that was something you were considering as well?
Hi Scanido,
My HT is set for 7.4 and have no immediate plan to update to 11.4. I have tried NAD M15HD2 enjoyed it for couple of years, but, was not happy with Audyssy XT they use. I read and auditioned MX150 with Similar speakers at Local BB Magnolia, liked what Room Perfect could do for my 4 Rythmik Subs. I plan on using AUX 1 and 2 for two subs and use the LFE for the other two. I have integrated Subs with miniDSP and DynaAudio Mic and software. Have put several Absorption Panel and bass traps, but, still was not 100% happy. Realized that Room Perfect focuses mainly on the low problematic Hz, thought MX150 might be a better option. And of course there is esay entry in to" Cool McIntosh Club".
Old 10-07-2015, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Bandwidth for wider/deeper color standards and high dynamic range, and 4k60p
Thanks Thrang. The HDR support is definitely something I would want in my next processor.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi Scanido,
My HT is set for 7.4 and have no immediate plan to update to 11.4. I have tried NAD M15HD2 enjoyed it for couple of years, but, was not happy with Audyssy XT they use. I read and auditioned MX150 with Similar speakers at Local BB Magnolia, liked what Room Perfect could do for my 4 Rythmik Subs. I plan on using AUX 1 and 2 for two subs and use the LFE for the other two. I have integrated Subs with miniDSP and DynaAudio Mic and software. Have put several Absorption Panel and bass traps, but, still was not 100% happy. Realized that Room Perfect focuses mainly on the low problematic Hz, thought MX150 might be a better option. And of course there is esay entry in to" Cool McIntosh Club".
Thanks for taking the time and letting us know how you decided on the MX150. I agree the unique way to configure multiple subs as stereo and LFE is a great feature in the processor. After some tweaking with the calibration process you will find the MX has one of the best room corrections out there.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 41
10.2ghz hdmi can do 2160p24/30 in 12Bit 4:4:4. It can do 2160p60 8bit 4:2:0. UHD BD discs will be 2160p24 in 10bit 4:2:0.

18gbps is needed only for 2160p60 in 12bit 4:4:4 which no media will be for a long while if ever.

It's primarily an audio processor which happened to pass video. Why do you folks worry too much over the video part? If you want the best video, you don't want your av preamp to do processing anyway. You should look into something like Lumagen Radiance to take care of video processing/switching.

Ever since the announcement, no one asked anything about the audio section. What dacs are used? How is auro 3d implemented?

Wanted:
HD-VMD Discs
Muse/Hi-Vision Discs - Mint/Complete Only!
Old 10-07-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

It is a concern because the 160 can not pass HDR or wide gamut color. HDMI 2.0a 18 gbps chipset is required for this feature. So if you purchase a new flagship oled, led tv or projector you will lose this very important feature. Why should we lose this in a newly released "state of the art" $14,000 processor" when a $500 receiver can pass it? At $14,000 upgrades don't occur every other year.
thrang likes this.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
It is a concern because the 160 can not pass HDR or wide gamut color. HDMI 2.0a 18 gbps chipset is required for this feature. So if you purchase a new flagship oled, led tv or projector you will lose this very important feature. Why should we lose this in a newly released "state of the art" $14,000 processor" when a $500 receiver can pass it? At $14,000 upgrades don't occur every other year.
Also a concern for those of us who have camped out with 8802's in the A version or contemplating the HDMI 2.0 upgrade kit (in my case with cost attached here in Aus). Of course being the newest unit on the block, the MX-160 has very little excuse for not having the 2.0a hardware and its quite disappointing at its price point frankly.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It would be good for McIntosh if they addressed this issue...
G-Rex likes this.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

Rogers in Toronto just announced they are coming out with 4K Live and VOD with HDR so I really would like confirmation if the MX160 will support HDR before I take the plunge.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It would be good for McIntosh if they addressed this issue...
If McIntosh doesn't address this, I am going to stay with my 151. Lots of concern over this HDMI limitation on other forums as well.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For those unsure why the lack of HDMI 2.0a on the MX-160 is disappointing and concerning for those seeking compatibility with the imminent UHD Blu Ray standard:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9249/b...-specification

This is good coin to spend on something that's already on the wrong end of the technology bell curve. So some formal announcement, which a price and timeframe attached, for a 161 upgrade is going to be needed at some point for a lot of people given firm pause by this perplexing decision by them.

They knew over a year ago HDMI 2.0 was the forthcoming standard.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:12 AM

How many years 150 and 151 were apart for their releases?

I frankly don't worry about the video switching, I have the new lumagen pro on order. I want the extra height speakers really.

But it appears a HW upgrade for 160 and/or MX-161 is on the horizon.

Wanted:
HD-VMD Discs
Old 10-08-2015, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uderman View Post
How many years 150 and 151 were apart for their releases?

I frankly don't worry about the video switching, I have the new lumagen pro on order. I want the extra height speakers really.

But it appears a HW upgrade for 160 and/or MX-161 is on the horizon.
The issue of using an external Lumagen is fine, however there is an intrinsic cost in the 160 for video. If this was the thinking, it should be a $9,500 processor with basic HDMI for audio. I've thought for some time that Lumagen should actually partner with lots of these boutique manufacturers just in this way - offer an OEM outboard box, and remove the engineering, design, manufacturing, and support for an area the small guys struggle to deal with. However I get the issue of exposure if someone like Lumagen bites the dust...

As an aside, some people appreciate an OSD which you lose bypassing the 160 video completely.
thezaks and spieper like this.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:58 AM

Yes, 150/151 was perfect in that, no internal video processing. I have been running my video through a dedicated video processor for some years now, I am too used to the very extensive control over my video. I am too spoiled now, I don't think I can go back to the very basic video section of an AV SSP. I understand though I am in the minority.

http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/forum...046adc97901b7a

Unfortunately I can't discuss anything beyond the information on this link due to Beta program agreement. I am getting the Radiance 4449 which has 8 inputs and 7 output zones with matrix support, only zone 1 is processed (2 Video, 2 audio out). It makes much more sense for me to route everything into this and take advantage of the 8x7 matrix. I am thinking of taking care of the OSD on my Ipad using IP control from mx-160 (or 161, or a separate small TV.

Wanted:
HD-VMD Discs

Last edited by uderman; 10-08-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement