The Official Mcintosh Labs MX-151 & MX150 Owner's Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 105Likes

post #1081 of 1219 Old 10-27-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
That's a great idea - Craig is very nice to deal with.

Dave
Is he here on the forum at all? I feel like he maybe easier to PM from here than reach out could and explain my situ and interest in a Casablanca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post
How does it compare to the MX? Similar? or do you feel it was a significant upgrade in sq?
+1, I'd definitely like to hear your thoughts here too Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1219 Old 10-27-2015, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post
How does it compare to the MX? Similar? or do you feel it was a significant upgrade in sq?
The MX-151 with RP has a really nice silky quality to the sound and nice bass as well. I like this processor a lot. I have a CBIV with one extreme (four channel) and one premium (four channel) dac. Even without Dirac (I will try it next month), it takes smoothness up a notch, without sacrificing dynamics and detail. Soundstage becomes more 3D. Bass is also improved - not just bottom end, but upper bass as well - it's better delineated overall. It's the best my system has sounded in an acoustically terrible room (great room with family room, dining, and kitchen).

I was trying all sorts of processors, including the Arcam (AV888 and AVR600) and the Krell (S1200U 3D) - in fact, I've been following you and thrang through your processor journey as well. Then I tried processors with EQ to improve the sound in my great room - an Emotiva XMC-1 with Dirac, a TUC upgraded Onkyo 5508 w/Audyssey, and the MX-151 with RP. I had increasingly better sound with each processor I tried, and I thought the MX-151 was near the pinnacle of that sound. I thought that EQ was an absolute necessity for my terrible room.

However, the Theta CBIV sounds so good on its own, I haven't been in a hurry to try Dirac. It's shown me that EQ is not the only thing that helps in my room - perhaps the sonics of the processor can make a huge difference as well. In my case, it definitely has.

Dave
adidino likes this.
post #1083 of 1219 Old 10-27-2015, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan56 View Post
The following is what I found out about the MX160.

The DAC's are essentially the same.. thus the audio is about the same.

The Aux assignments for the MX160 are different than the MX151.
Depending on the mix of Atmos and/or Auro speakers, the Aux outputs will
automatically be assigned to these.
If there are free Aux outputs, there are options for Stereo subs in the
front (Bi-Amped, with or without LFE), and options for stereo subs in
the rear. After assigning, the on-screen setup menu shows a pictorial of
the jacks with each labeled for its function.
Like Uderman I am also a bit confused about the above. A clarification would be of great value since the number of channels that the Mx160 can offer is highly relevant for many of us.
post #1084 of 1219 Old 10-27-2015, 05:17 PM

Roomperfect

I have come across Roomperfect in a Steinway Lyngdorf system some time ago. The end result of a calibration is that you end up with a number of voicings too choose from. You cannot tweak/fine tune the voicings or develop your own if I understood it correctly.

Is the Mcintosh Roomperfect different from that? Curios to know.
post #1085 of 1219 Old 10-27-2015, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Is he here on the forum at all? I feel like he maybe easier to PM from here than reach out could and explain my situ and interest in a Casablanca.
Craig is on the forum - under user name VGI

Dave
post #1086 of 1219 Old 10-27-2015, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Craig is on the forum - under user name VGI

Dave
Great thanks Dave you saved me trying to track him down searching the site
post #1087 of 1219 Old 10-31-2015, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Hi guys,
i recently pulled the trigger on a mx150 and i have several questions for those of you who know this unit very well:

1. Do any of you have a projector that is connected to the mx150/151 and has a long hdmi run? if so, do you have any handshake problems?
2. i currently use redmere hdmi cables for all my sources and the mx150, but i get a black screen sometimes when i turn on my bluray player (uses a 3ft redmere hdmi) so i have to go to another source and return back to the bluray input and i finally get an image. Is this normal? are there any other Hdmi cables that are better for this unit?
3. Is there a way to make the remote control not so sensitive to the touch? is there a setting in the unit?
4. I will be running room eq today and would like some pointers. I spoke to Chuck and all he said was for me to not point the microphone to the speakers directly. i also watched the video on youtube. I just wanted to see what others have done here successfully to improve the results of room eq.
5. I was told this unit has the software update to make it 1.4. Does anyone know what is the software # that it should have so i can check it?

thanks again guys. I really look forward to your responses!
post #1088 of 1219 Old 10-31-2015, 09:47 AM

Hi guys,
i recently pulled the trigger on a mx150 and i have several questions for those of you who know this unit very well:

1. Do any of you have a projector that is connected to the mx150/151 and has a long hdmi run? if so, do you have any handshake problems?
2. i currently use redmere hdmi cables for all my sources and the mx150, but i get a black screen sometimes when i turn on my bluray player (uses a 3ft redmere hdmi) so i have to go to another source and return back to the bluray input and i finally get an image. Is this normal? are there any other Hdmi cables that are better for this unit?
3. Is there a way to make the remote control not so sensitive to the touch? is there a setting in the unit?
4. I will be running room eq today and would like some pointers. I spoke to Chuck and all he said was for me to not point the microphone to the speakers directly. i also watched the video on youtube. I just wanted to see what others have done here successfully to improve the results of room eq.
5. I was told this unit has the software update to make it 1.4. Does anyone know what is the software # that it should have so i can check it?

post #1089 of 1219 Old 10-31-2015, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Liked: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp_guy532 View Post
Hi guys,

1- 40 foot redmere cable to a Sony 1100 projector, no handshake issues
2- some companies, like Lumagen, always suggest no less than 6 foot cable...and make sure the direction of the cables is correct. But some devices, especially older ones, can have odd issues like that
3-some mx remotes were defective, and had hyper active syndrome. I had one, and it was swapped promptly by chuck
4-your focus positions (each seat in the prime seating area) will be horizontal pointing directly toward the front of the room) the room measurements will be in the back 2/3rds of the room, not pointing at speakers, and ideal at least six feet away from any speaker as well. You are "painting" a picture of the room by pointing the mic at walls, floors, ceilings, major furnishings, generally 2-5 feet away. Angles don't matter, some recommend avoiding pointing into the rear corners of the room, but I havent found an issue with that.
5- firmware versions are a mystery with McIntosh, they have many versions floating...you need to speak with them

FS: Four (4) KEF CI-200RR-THX in ceiling/wall speakers (link to ad)

FS: JKP Affinity .09 Fixed Frame 2.35 screen, 12.5 feet wide - PM for details

Thrang's Home Theater, For Now...

Last edited by thrang; 10-31-2015 at 12:18 PM.
post #1090 of 1219 Old 10-31-2015, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakdene View Post
I have come across Roomperfect in a Steinway Lyngdorf system some time ago. The end result of a calibration is that you end up with a number of voicings too choose from. You cannot tweak/fine tune the voicings or develop your own if I understood it correctly.

Is the Mcintosh Roomperfect different from that? Curios to know.
The mx had a curve editor actually, ran on Windows. Nice. Pretty sure lyngdorf did as well, as it probably came from them

post #1091 of 1219 Old 10-31-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
1- 40 foot redmere cable to a Sony 1100 projector, no handshake issues
2- some companies, like Lumagen, always suggest no less than 6 foot cable...and make sure the direction of the cables is correct. But some devices, especially older ones, can have odd issues like that
3-some mx remotes were defective, and had hyper active syndrome. I had one, and it was swapped promptly by chuck
4-your focus positions (each seat in the prime seating area) will be horizontal pointing directly toward the front of the room) the room measurements will be in the back 2/3rds of the room, not pointing at speakers, and ideal at least six feet away from any speaker as well. You are "painting" a picture of the room by pointing the mic at walls, floors, ceilings, major furnishings, generally 2-5 feet away. Angles don't matter, some recommend avoiding pointing into the rear corners of the room, but I havent found an issue with that.
5- firmware versions are a mystery with McIntosh, they have many versions floating...you need to speak with them

Thrang,
i went ahead and i brought down my led tv from the bedroom and connected to the mx150. i STILL GET NO HANDSHAKE between the oppo and the mx150 when i push play to start a movie. The issue lies when let's say i am in the home screen of the oppo and decide to push play to start the movie. As you all know, the screen goes black for a few seconds while the disc loads and then it starts. Well, the screen never returns after it goes black. It stays black, i get no video or sound. The same thing happens when i for example want to quit a movie and go to the home screen. That slight delay the oppo has to go from playing a movie and then going to the home screen is what makes the mx150 have a handshake problem too.
With that said, i read this thread and it appears that some of you fixed similar handshake problems with a software update? i have software version 1.4rc2 and read that some of you received version 1.4rc5 from chuck which fixed all issues. Does anyone have this version so i can try to install it on mine?
i am hoping this issue can be fixed perhaps via a software update on the mx150?
thanks !

Last edited by Amp_guy532; 10-31-2015 at 05:28 PM.
post #1092 of 1219 Old 10-31-2015, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thrang,
i went ahead and i brought down my led tv from the bedroom and connected to the mx150. i STILL GET NO HANDSHAKE between the oppo and the mx150 when i push play to start a movie. The issue lies when let's say i am in the home screen of the oppo and decide to push play to start the movie. As you all know, the screen goes black for a few seconds while the disc loads and then it starts. Well, the screen never returns after it goes black. It stays black, i get no video or sound. The same thing happens when i for example want to quit a movie and go to the home screen. That slight delay the oppo has to go from playing a movie and then going to the home screen is what makes the mx150 have a handshake problem too.
With that said, i read this thread and it appears that some of you fixed similar handshake problems with a software update? i have software version 1.4rc2 and read that some of you received version 1.4rc5 from chuck which fixed all issues. Does anyone have this version so i can try to install it on mine?
i am hoping this issue can be fixed perhaps via a software update on the mx150?
thanks !
I think Oppo released a firmware years ago that fixed a handshake issue with the 151...that was for the 103/105 Oppo's. If that's what you have, see if you have the latest on the Oppo.

Maybe addino can chime in, I think he had the issue.

post #1093 of 1219 Old 10-31-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I think Oppo released a firmware years ago that fixed a handshake issue with the 151...that was for the 103/105 Oppo's. If that's what you have, see if you have the latest on the Oppo.

i have the latest oppo software... i suspect i have an old mx150 software so maybe someone here can send me their latest software or whatever chuck sent out to them? i am hoping this is nothing but an outdated software problem with my mx150. i have a feeling that is what it is...
post #1094 of 1219 Old 10-31-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:

i just updated the oppo to some software that adds tidal music streaming. This was done via usb and not through the network. i have not had any handshake issues right now, but again it is too early to tell.
Something else i forgot to tell you before was that when i go to the mx150 menu, there is like some flickering at the bottom of the menu? it doesn't happen all the time, but it happens here and there. Have you ever experienced this before?
Also, i am watching netflix through the oppo right now and when i turn the volume up or down on the mx150, i don't see it displayed on the projector screen? i do see it when i watch blur ays or my apple tv, etc. Just now when i am streaming netflix through the oppo..
post #1095 of 1219 Old 11-01-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
The mx had a curve editor actually, ran on Windows. Nice. Pretty sure lyngdorf did as well, as it probably came from them
Thank you for that. Sounds reassuring allowing flexibility.
post #1096 of 1219 Old 11-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
i just updated the oppo to some software that adds tidal music streaming. This was done via usb and not through the network. i have not had any handshake issues right now, but again it is too early to tell.
Something else i forgot to tell you before was that when i go to the mx150 menu, there is like some flickering at the bottom of the menu? it doesn't happen all the time, but it happens here and there. Have you ever experienced this before?
Also, i am watching netflix through the oppo right now and when i turn the volume up or down on the mx150, i don't see it displayed on the projector screen? i do see it when i watch blur ays or my apple tv, etc. Just now when i am streaming netflix through the oppo..
The flickering at the bottom OSD definitely is an issue. I had my mx150 replaced by Mcintosh for it. It also produced some odd pops when switching inputs to my DVR. My replaced unit no longer has these problems. I don't think it would cause sound quality issues. Just an annoyance. Is your unit still under warranty?
post #1097 of 1219 Old 11-01-2015, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i have the latest oppo software... i suspect i have an old mx150 software so maybe someone here can send me their latest software or whatever chuck sent out to them? i am hoping this is nothing but an outdated software problem with my mx150. i have a feeling that is what it is...
Here you go, Ive re-upped the last available MX-150 firmware as provided to me by McIntosh:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/download....84434539607608
post #1098 of 1219 Old 11-01-2015, 10:07 PM

Hi all,
My unit is under warranty from the store I got it from but now I'm thinking of just completely returning it and getting my money back. I feel somewhat turned off by all this given that this is the most expensive processor I've ever owned and its plagued with annoyances. I own the classe ctssp and it works flawlessly with almost 4 years of use.
I don't know why i feel like the mx151 is less prone to all of this. I know they are supposed to be the same as far as functionality but something tells me there's more under the hood. I am almost feeling like just sticking to my ctssp for the remainder of the year and once the new year begins, wait for a used mx151 or a mx160. I am going to be very honest though, the room perfect eq took my breath away. I feel addicted to the sound of this unit and will hurt to return it but I can't deal with all of its issues. I guess I will feel and hear the difference once I put the classe ctssp back in the rack and can realize how much better sounding the mx150 is. I believe the ctssp and mx 150 are dead even when not engaging the room perfect but once that is engaged, it's game over the mx150 kills it. I wish I had a clue how to tweak the ctssp eq but I think you have to call the aliens or go to MIT to be able to know how to use the eq.
post #1099 of 1219 Old 11-01-2015, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi all,
My unit is under warranty from the store I got it from but now I'm thinking of just completely returning it and getting my money back. I feel somewhat turned off by all this given that this is the most expensive processor I've ever owned and its plagued with annoyances. I own the classe ctssp and it works flawlessly with almost 4 years of use.
I don't know why i feel like the mx151 is less prone to all of this. I know they are supposed to be the same as far as functionality but something tells me there's more under the hood. I am almost feeling like just sticking to my ctssp for the remainder of the year and once the new year begins, wait for a used mx151 or a mx160. I am going to be very honest though, the room perfect eq took my breath away. I feel addicted to the sound of this unit and will hurt to return it but I can't deal with all of its issues. I guess I will feel and hear the difference once I put the classe ctssp back in the rack and can realize how much better sounding the mx150 is. I believe the ctssp and mx 150 are dead even when not engaging the room perfect but once that is engaged, it's game over the mx150 kills it. I wish I had a clue how to tweak the ctssp eq but I think you have to call the aliens or go to MIT to be able to know how to use the eq.
I recall some HDMI issues when I got my secondhand MX-150 due to the fact it didn't have the latest firmware in it. Don't quote me on exactly what they were, as we're talking early 2014 when I got it. After an easy update, I enjoyed it all the way till I offloaded it and got the 8802 to bide my time with. The MX-150 was literally the best $6k I ever spent on a processor, new or used.
jdlynch likes this.
post #1100 of 1219 Old 11-02-2015, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 43
If you don't care for the room correction software, go with mx-121. You lose room petfect but you get true analog pass through. Also the hdmi transmitter, video processing and ip control boards are from marantz av7005 which is super stable and issue free.

Wanted:
HD-VMD Discs
Muse/Hi-Vision Discs - Mint/Complete Only!
post #1101 of 1219 Old 11-02-2015, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Is it possible to get Dolby Digital or DD Plus with a split HDMI signal from 4K programming through a Roku? Seems to get the HDMI audio, you have to have HDMI video enabled for the source on the MX-151. Since the signal is HDCP 2.2 and the MX is not, does that keep the audio from working? I guess I'm also missing a handshake with a video source since I'm using the 4K input on the Sony 1100. Very frustrating.

I guess I need to shop for a different processor also, maybe Theta since I can't keep buying new processors every couple of years. I would hate not having an OSD but I would also hate to upgrade to a new MX that is not quite there yet.
post #1102 of 1219 Old 11-03-2015, 08:57 AM

Are there any further experiences of the new MX160 that can be shared with the rest of us?
post #1103 of 1219 Old 11-03-2015, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post
Is it possible to get Dolby Digital or DD Plus with a split HDMI signal from 4K programming through a Roku? Seems to get the HDMI audio, you have to have HDMI video enabled for the source on the MX-151. Since the signal is HDCP 2.2 and the MX is not, does that keep the audio from working? I guess I'm also missing a handshake with a video source since I'm using the 4K input on the Sony 1100. Very frustrating.

I guess I need to shop for a different processor also, maybe Theta since I can't keep buying new processors every couple of years. I would hate not having an OSD but I would also hate to upgrade to a new MX that is not quite there yet.
Really?!

I've got a vpl500es and my future plan was to get a 4K bluray player with dual hdmi out, and if the mx150 would not be able to process the audio only from the hdmi, this would be really upsetting to me. Hopefully this is not the case.
post #1104 of 1219 Old 11-03-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
Really?!

I've got a vpl500es and my future plan was to get a 4K bluray player with dual hdmi out, and if the mx150 would not be able to process the audio only from the hdmi, this would be really upsetting to me. Hopefully this is not the case.
I hadn't thought about not being able to get audio from a 4K Blu ray player through the Mac. I just read an article that said even a sound bar would have to be HDCP 2.2 compliant. Maybe the 4K players will have a separate HDMI audio output for older gear.
post #1105 of 1219 Old 11-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post
I hadn't thought about not being able to get audio from a 4K Blu ray player through the Mac. I just read an article that said even a sound bar would have to be HDCP 2.2 compliant. Maybe the 4K players will have a separate HDMI audio output for older gear.
It would be naive, but certainly not impossible, that 4k Blu-Ray manufacturers would cater to only that small segment of the market that has HDCP 2.2 compliance throughout the audio and video chain. A separate HDCP 1.4 HDMI output for audio only seems like a no brainer.

John
post #1106 of 1219 Old 11-03-2015, 06:21 PM

Someone in the Roku thread said that they got their splitter(same as mine) working for 4K HDMI audio to a receiver(didn't say what receiver). I think I have mine setup the same as he does but I get Silent Signal on the Mac. Netflix indicates it is sending 5.1. I think it may be a required video handshake that is needed for the audio.
post #1107 of 1219 Old 11-04-2015, 11:38 AM

I have a question. When the front panel on the MX151 says the source is Dolby Digital Plus, where does it get this info and is it actually playing back in DDP?
post #1108 of 1219 Old 11-05-2015, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Like Uderman I am also a bit confused about the above. A clarification would be of great value since the number of channels that the Mx160 can offer is highly relevant for many of us.
Tomorrow my mx-160 will be installed and calibrated.
Will give you a description of everything in the next couple days
post #1109 of 1219 Old 11-05-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Tomorrow my mx-160 will be installed and calibrated.
Will give you a description of everything in the next couple days
post #1110 of 1219 Old 11-05-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Are there any further experiences of the new MX160 that can be shared with the rest of us?
I will be getting my MX160 installed tomorrow and will give a review
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page