The Official Mcintosh Labs MX-151 & MX150 Owner's Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 103Likes

post #1171 of 1214 Old 11-21-2015, 03:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Well under way....

After some hard work the past day I am starting to get somewhere with the MX160 and Sony 665ES projector. I will finish my co Review soon but in the meantime the MX160 is the real deal and I am........

OzHDHT and KE_Houston like this.

My Sony 5000ES Review PART 2 FINISHED:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1462841668379
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1214 Old 11-21-2015, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I don't use preselected post processing, particularly, Dolby Upmix. Preselecting in the settings seems to confuse the unit. For example is Dolby Upmix is preselected DTS MA doesn't playback correctly. Or if it's a 7.1 Dolby TrueHD mix, the upmixer seems to default to input DD 5.1 and "7.1 Dolby Surround" as output. Not sure what is going on with DD and DTS legacy modes. Post processing selection is very limited.
post #1173 of 1214 Old 11-21-2015, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
After some hard work the past day I am starting to get somewhere with the MX160 and Sony 665ES projector. I will finish my co Review soon but in the meantime the MX160 is the real deal and I am........

But.....will it dethrone your beloved Datasat?
post #1174 of 1214 Old 11-23-2015, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Moment of silence

Should I interpret the lack of feedback as a sign of disappointment?

I do fully appreciate the frustration of particular specific issues but, HOW DOES it SOUND?

Just listening to it in stereo mode to explore its 'soul' should not be that challenging.

Await with both eagerness and some frustration.

Best regards
post #1175 of 1214 Old 11-23-2015, 01:04 PM

The sound is amazing for films. A step up from the MX121. As far as music, there aren't any fully operable dedicated music modes, so the choices are stereo or "7.0 Dolby Surround".
So far so good. True McIntosh quality. This unit does not offer Pure Direct mode, unfortunately. So stereo mode with RoomPerfect turned off is as close to Direct as you can get. The sound was still very warm and very detailed.
post #1176 of 1214 Old 11-23-2015, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by daimler2015 View Post
The sound is amazing for films. A step up from the MX121. As far as music, there aren't any fully operable dedicated music modes, so the choices are stereo or "7.0 Dolby Surround".
So far so good. True McIntosh quality. This unit does not offer Pure Direct mode, unfortunately. So stereo mode with RoomPerfect turned off is as close to Direct as you can get. The sound was still very warm and very detailed.
Thank you for your feedback. Reassuring being a fan of McIntosh and having just sold my MX121.

Best regards
post #1177 of 1214 Old 11-23-2015, 01:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakdene View Post
Should I interpret the lack of feedback as a sign of disappointment?

I do fully appreciate the frustration of particular specific issues but, HOW DOES it SOUND?

Just listening to it in stereo mode to explore its 'soul' should not be that challenging.

Await with both eagerness and some frustration.

Best regards
Sorry for not responding more quickly, but I have been traveling recently. I am very well pleased with the two channel audio performance for music as well as with the multi-channel sound for movies. I will be glad when McIntosh gets the firmware finished up, but I have no regrets with my MX160 purchase.

John
post #1178 of 1214 Old 11-23-2015, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 5
My follow up is similar, the 160 sounds really nice, very smooth and detailed, but there are a lot of issues that need to be sorted out. It looks like the few of us that are getting them right now are doing the beta testing for McIntosh. Also I need to get my installer out again I don't think we set up Room Perfect the right way, the sound seems unbalanced. Its funny the only manual that came with the unit is about 10 pages. The manual for the 151 seems to be online but not for the 160. The remote is not easy to use either, not that I plan on using it since I have Control4, but there are no drivers for that unit either.
post #1179 of 1214 Old 11-23-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impounder View Post
My follow up is similar, the 160 sounds really nice, very smooth and detailed, but there are a lot of issues that need to be sorted out. It looks like the few of us that are getting them right now are doing the beta testing for McIntosh. Also I need to get my installer out again I don't think we set up Room Perfect the right way, the sound seems unbalanced. Its funny the only manual that came with the unit is about 10 pages. The manual for the 151 seems to be online but not for the 160. The remote is not easy to use either, not that I plan on using it since I have Control4, but there are no drivers for that unit either.
I am also using Control4, and my installer had to create an IR-based C4 driver from scratch. I hope that an IP-based Control4 driver is released soon.

John
post #1180 of 1214 Old 11-23-2015, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
You should test the ir codes for the MX-151, I would doubt very much that McIntosh would have modified the IR protocols for the MX-160. May at least get you going till 'official' 160 Control4 codes come out. I have Control4 in one household, it does drive me nuts from time to time with random system lock ups, especially with the lighting control system - drives my partner nuts when it locks up the lighting buttons on the walls(she curses it). Wish I had deeper control for my media room system programmed into as well, so I don't have pick up things like my projector remote to change modes etc.
post #1181 of 1214 Old 11-23-2015, 06:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
You should test the ir codes for the MX-151, I would doubt very much that McIntosh would have modified the IR protocols for the MX-160. May at least get you going till 'official' 160 Control4 codes come out. I have Control4 in one household, it does drive me nuts from time to time with random system lock ups, especially with the lighting control system - drives my partner nuts when it locks up the wall light switches(she curses it). Wish I had deeper control for my media room system programmed into as well, so I don't have pick up things like my projector remote to change modes etc.
The IR codes for the MX150/151 discrete inputs do work with the MX160 as long as you go into the MX160 setup menu and select which IR code that you want to assign to which MX160 input. The default setting is None, so you have to select which code will be used to access a given MX160 input.

The ability to assign codes to inputs was not present in the initial firmware version my unit was shipped with, but it is included with the last two firmware updates I have done.

John
post #1182 of 1214 Old 11-23-2015, 06:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

I will also add that none of the three Control4 drivers for previous McIntosh units (MX136, MX121, MX151) would work in Control4 for the MX160. Hence, my installer and I created a Control4 IR-based driver in the Driver Wizard of Composer Pro by "teaching" it IR codes from the McIntosh remote.

John
post #1183 of 1214 Old 11-23-2015, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR0317 View Post
The IR codes for the MX150/151 discrete inputs do work with the MX160 as long as you go into the MX160 setup menu and select which IR code that you want to assign to which MX160 input. The default setting is None, so you have to select which code will be used to access a given MX160 input.

The ability to assign codes to inputs was not present in the initial firmware version my unit was shipped with, but it is included with the last two firmware updates I have done.
Quote:
I will also add that none of the three Control4 drivers for previous McIntosh units (MX136, MX121, MX151) would work in Control4 for the MX160. Hence, my installer and I created a Control4 IR-based driver in the Driver Wizard of Composer Pro by "teaching" it IR codes from the McIntosh remote.

That sounds like quite the pain indeed with Control4 drivers, glad I don't have or plan to have an MX-160 in the townhouse where I have Control4. A pity McIntosh have done that with their IR codes, seems like extra work on their part for no real benefit. Wouldn't worry me much in my larger HT as I'm more than happy there with the Logitech Harmony Ultimate to control everything including an MX-160 if I ended up with one.
post #1184 of 1214 Old 11-23-2015, 07:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
That sounds like quite the pain indeed with Control4 drivers, glad I don't have or plan to have an MX-160 in the townhouse where I have Control4. A pity McIntosh have done that with their IR codes, seems like extra work on their part for no real benefit. Wouldn't worry me much in my larger HT as I'm more than happy there with the Logitech Harmony Ultimate to control everything including an MX-160 if I ended up with one.
It really wasn't that big of a deal. It probably took 30 minutes to "teach" the IR codes to the done-from-scratch Control4 driver we created. I feel confident a full IP Control4 driver will be released once McIntosh is done with tweaking the MX160 firmware.

John
post #1185 of 1214 Old 11-23-2015, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It really wasn't that big of a deal. It probably took 30 minutes to "teach" the IR codes to the done-from-scratch Control4 driver we created. I feel confident a full IP Control4 driver will be released once McIntosh is done with tweaking the MX160 firmware.
I was more talking in having to have 'tech' out for Control4 reprogramming and experimenting with variously drivers generally. I know if I was to call the tech out, regardless of how well I know him and have a spent a hell of lot for HT equipment and install with his company, I'd end up with a bill for it. I'm sure like most things, Control4 will have a driver shortly as you say.
post #1186 of 1214 Old 11-23-2015, 08:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I was more talking in having to have 'tech' out for Control4 reprogramming and experimenting with variously drivers generally. I know if I was to call the tech out, regardless of how well I know him and have a spent a hell of lot for HT equipment and install with his company, I'd end up with a bill for it. I'm sure like most things, Control4 will have a driver shortly as you say.
Understood. In my case, the installer was at the house already doing the physical installation of the MX160 in my Middle Atlantic rack. He is a great guy and worked with me on this, so there were no further charges for the time it took to create the new driver or try out the older drivers.
joerod and OzHDHT like this.

John
post #1187 of 1214 Old 11-23-2015, 11:58 PM

I'm adding a PS Audio P10 today. Replacing a Transparent Audio power conditioner.
post #1188 of 1214 Old 11-24-2015, 09:15 AM

My installer did make his own drivers for the Control4, seems to be working fine, need a few more features but I was told that Control4 is working on this issue and they should have something coming soon, one problem is we had to install and HDMI splitter so as to be able to function between my projector and the TV, splitter seems to be causing flickering while watching cable every so often, the picture will phase out for a second.

Also watched a movie last night on Blue Ray and confirmed, with cable I am able to listen with DTS Cinema, but with DVD, only the Previews will play, once the movie starts the sound shuts off and have to switch back to Dolby Upmix by shutting and restarting the Mac.

Questions to those when setting up Room Perfect, does the microphone get placed in the seating positions or in the corners of the room?
post #1189 of 1214 Old 11-24-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
My installer did make his own drivers for the Control4, seems to be working fine, need a few more features but I was told that Control4 is working on this issue and they should have something coming soon, one problem is we had to install and HDMI splitter so as to be able to function between my projector and the TV, splitter seems to be causing flickering while watching cable every so often, the picture will phase out for a second.

Also watched a movie last night on Blue Ray and confirmed, with cable I am able to listen with DTS Cinema, but with DVD, only the Previews will play, once the movie starts the sound shuts off and have to switch back to Dolby Upmix by shutting and restarting the Mac.

Questions to those when setting up Room Perfect, does the microphone get placed in the seating positions or in the corners of the room?
Initially, the microphone should be set up at the primary listening or"focus" position. After Room Perfect is run at that position, the microphone should be moved around the room to various positions to get a more complete "picture" of the room. The MX160 will indicate when a "room knowledge" of greater than 90% has been achieved, and the process can then be stopped.

The owners manual for the MX151 describes the process in more detail, and it can be downloaded from the McIntosh website.

John
post #1190 of 1214 Old 11-24-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Initially, the microphone should be set up at the primary listening or"focus" position. After Room Perfect is run at that position, the microphone should be moved around the room to various positions to get a more complete "picture" of the room. The MX160 will indicate when a "room knowledge" of greater than 90% has been achieved, and the process can then be stopped.

The owners manual for the MX151 describes the process in more detail, and it can be downloaded from the McIntosh website.
Mine came in at around 98% but the sounds in an action scene seem to be heavily weighted to the left front speaker. My installer set up to many Focus positions.
post #1191 of 1214 Old 11-24-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Mine came in at around 98% but the sounds in an action scene seem to be heavily weighted to the left front speaker. My installer set up to many Focus positions.
Well, you may want to do a fresh Room Perfect setup. I just used the main listening position as the "Focus" location and then moved the microphone around to various points in the room for the additional room info.

Also, you can also select a "Global" Room Perfect setting from the Trim menu.

By the way, I just installed this HDMI splitter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to use until the MX160 gets its firmware updated to support multiple displays. It seems to be working well.

John
post #1192 of 1214 Old 11-27-2015, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Popping sound!!!

I have my MX160 running for about three weeks. The unit replaced my old MX150 that was rock solid for more than five years.

This new model sounds better. In fact, way better but produces popping sounds playing DTS-HD and Dolby THD tracks.

I had to set my MVP891 to PCM, but the MX160 still has issues with some tracks.

Can anyone certifies during scene 20 of The Dark Night (Batman 2) the front speakers midrange pop multiples times when The Jokers send a couple of rockets the police patrol vehicle. With the normal Dolby track sounds perfect.

By the way I have the latest firmware running.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by gigimonagas; 11-27-2015 at 09:09 AM.
post #1193 of 1214 Old 11-27-2015, 03:48 PM

I just re did my Room Perfect this morning, and the Mac sounds incredible.

They still have multiple issues with the DTS when playing a DVD, they are working to resolve the problem. I suggest for the time being just use Dolby Upmixer the sound is not far off.
post #1194 of 1214 Old 11-27-2015, 04:23 PM

Can you confirm any popping sounds specially on your fronts? My unit has problems with dolby hd also. I noticed that most problems are with earlier discs were you have to selec the track.

Other than that sounds is increible. Once they fix this issue, Mac has a winner.
post #1195 of 1214 Old 11-27-2015, 09:52 PM

Yes. I'm also having issues with HD audio. True HD on older discs must be switched to a diff codec to not have distortion. DTS 5.1 won't allow DTS Neo post processing, Party mode still not working correctly for music.
post #1196 of 1214 Old 11-27-2015, 10:11 PM

Yesterday I watched Tommorrowland on BlueRay it was fine, tonight I tried to watch Chappie on BlueRay, first a loud Pop and than no sound I had to go into my DVD menu and switch to PCM from Bitstream and the sound worked. Thanks to Gigimonagas for the very timely advise.
They really need to fix this issue soon, this is really getting annoying let alone embarrassing when you have people over to watch.
daimler2015 likes this.
post #1197 of 1214 Old 11-28-2015, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 139
If the 160's firmware is upgraded, do you need to rerun Room Perfect, as was the case with the 150/151?
post #1198 of 1214 Old 11-28-2015, 06:50 AM

I sure as hell hope not, I don't believe so.
post #1199 of 1214 Old 11-28-2015, 11:35 AM

Do not waste your time with RP. You'll have to run it again after the next firmware. I know, it sucks.

Another issue to report. The MX160 doesn't recognize PCM as HD Audio as the MX150/151 did. Audio is not as stellar as if the MX decodes it. Just confirmed this last night.

The popping issue appers to be with just some discs. I watched Dark Night Rises Last Night without a single pop.

Another thing that needs to be added to the next firmware are test tones for each speaker and the option in the GUI to disable the volumen in the screen.

The Crestron module for the old MX150 works perfect over IP, by the way.
post #1200 of 1214 Old 11-28-2015, 03:02 PM

I think it is about time now the the moderators of this forum make a new page for MX 160

I received an e-mail from McIntosh that during the last firmware update it was necessary to redo Room Perfect but it should not be an issue moving forward with future updates.
daimler2015 likes this.

Last edited by Impounder; 11-28-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)