Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 654 Old 08-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Excellent review Joerod. You did a great job capturing the excitement of what it feels like to own the 151. smile.gif

As Joerod said, it delivers a very cinematic experience. Movie sound tracks do become eerily realistic and have a dimensional presence in the room that really draws you into the movie. Haven't experienced that with any other receiver or processor before. I couldn't be happier with the 151.
post #183 of 654 Old 08-26-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Joe, you make it very difficult to buy a "reasonably" priced processor. I have been going back and forth on staying in the "Budget friendly", Marantz 8801 family of pre/pros or jumping to the 151. Your review did the same thing tome that Arts' did on the HD5 PJ....made me realize I want to just get the best right from the beginning.

Your review says that the quality of the MX151 sound outweighs the extra missing channels/features, etc that some other units like the 8801 offer. Was there any time that you have missed any of that yet, or is the Mac just better enough that you havent' looked back??

Quite honestly if you don't compare them you should be content and happy with the 8801. It's when you do side by side comparisons when the audible difference becomes apparent. So far we haven't missed the Heights (I never really used Wides). The sound really is that good with 151 and I apologize since it does cost considerably more. If you do it right the first time it will save you money in the long run. The 151 should be looked at as a long term purchase.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #184 of 654 Old 08-26-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post

Very nice review Joe. Well done.

Thanks I appreciate it. smile.gif

I did notice in my final draft I left out my 0.005% THD comment . I fixed it this morning. smile.gif

post #185 of 654 Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

Excellent review Joerod. You did a great job capturing the excitement of what it feels like to own the 151. smile.gif

As Joerod said, it delivers a very cinematic experience. Movie sound tracks do become eerily realistic and have a dimensional presence in the room that really draws you into the movie. Haven't experienced that with any other receiver or processor before.

To others weighing features to sound quality....I debated long and hard to wait for the feature rich 12.4 channel Lexicon MP-20 with its Quantum Logic surround (which ended up being indefinitely delayed). This time around I decided to go for the McIntosh and put sound quality over what often amounts to less important/redundant features.

Many processors are overly analytical and over time hyper detail is not what's appealing to me. What is appealing...sound that is smooth, full bodied, dimensional with an organic quality that appears to be not recreated.

I couldn't be happier with the 151.

Thanks. smile.gif

I figured the only way to approach this one was to describe (by proof of example) the details big and small that we are hearing. I can't remember the last audio component that drew you into the movie as much as the 151 has.

post #186 of 654 Old 08-26-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Quite honestly if you don't compare them you should be content and happy with the 8801. It's when you do side by side comparisons when the audible difference becomes apparent. So far we haven't missed the Heights (I never really used Wides). The sound really is that good with 151 and I apologize since it does cost considerably more. If you do it right the first time it will save you money in the long run. The 151 should be looked at as a long term purchase.

Thanks Joe, your reviews are always helpful!! I have to admit that a small part of me wants to side by side them just to "force" myself into the 151:D
post #187 of 654 Old 08-26-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Thanks Joe, your reviews are always helpful!! I have to admit that a small part of me wants to side by side them just to "force" myself into the 151:D

If you lived closer to me I sure don't mind doing a demo for you. smile.gif

post #188 of 654 Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

How would you overcome a 5.2 or 7.2 system on the 151? I don't see a second sub output and I have stereo subs, that are also used as the LFE channel.
post #189 of 654 Old 08-27-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 172
@joerod

Nice review! Not sure if AVS will let me link to it in the review post at the top of this thread, but I'll give it a shot.

@chopshop
As a former 8801 owner with 11.2 for a time, I can tell you there is no looking back. The 151 is that good.
post #190 of 654 Old 08-27-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro2be View Post

Hi all,

How would you overcome a 5.2 or 7.2 system on the 151? I don't see a second sub output and I have stereo subs, that are also used as the LFE channel.

Multiple subs are possible on the 151, though I wish they would have followed a more convention way of implementing - but once understood, its not hard.

The top of this thread talks about this, but the short of it is - with stereo subs, you do no use the subwoofer output, but the aux 1/2 outputs and configure them as bi-amped speakers with the left and right mains. Everything including LFE is directed to the mains, but the aux crossovers pick up the low frequencies wherever you set it - in my case, 50hz...so you are not stressing the mains as the initial setting (routing LFE to your mains) would first lead you to think...

You can also use the the aux and sub together - in this scenario, you would direct all summed LF except LFE to the mains, and the aux bi-amped subs would be crossed at where wish. The dedicated sub would then be configured to handle the LFE only. If you wanted two or more LFE only subs, you would have to connect them as master slave if your sub supported that, or with a splitter cable.
post #191 of 654 Old 08-27-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

@joerod

Nice review! Not sure if AVS will let me link to it in the review post at the top of this thread, but I'll give it a shot.

@chopshop
As a former 8801 owner with 11.2 for a time, I can tell you there is no looking back. The 151 is that good.

Thanks, both for your comment and for your help. smile.gif

If you post a link (like. Below) directly to my Review it will be fine, just not straight to my Home page.

http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homestead.com/McIntosh-MX151-A-V-Control-Center-Review.html?_=1377464436276

post #192 of 654 Old 08-27-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Regarding multiple subs... just do what I did and you only ever need a single sub out from any proc.. The Xilica XP-2040 runs around $900 or less and has two balanced sub ins and 4 outs. So you can independently tune up to 4 separate subs with distance and parEQ by using something like OmniMic or XTZ to dial it in and then have that "pre-Eqed" sub signal be what the single sub output "sees". Works like a charm and you can let RoomPerfect, or Audyssey, or whatever do the rest.

You can control the EQ from a wireless laptop with a really nice GUI and its real time.

BTW the Xilica EQs are what Procella uses in their active speaker systems.
post #193 of 654 Old 08-27-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

@joerod

@chopshop

+1

I had the 8801 as well (twice). There is no comparison.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #194 of 654 Old 08-27-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #195 of 654 Old 08-27-2013, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

+1

I had the 8801 as well (twice). There is no comparison.

One for each ear....
post #196 of 654 Old 08-27-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Multiple subs are possible on the 151, though I wish they would have followed a more convention way of implementing - but once understood, its not hard.

The top of this thread talks about this, but the short of it is - with stereo subs, you do no use the subwoofer output, but the aux 1/2 outputs and configure them as bi-amped speakers with the left and right mains. Everything including LFE is directed to the mains, but the aux crossovers pick up the low frequencies wherever you set it - in my case, 50hz...so you are not stressing the mains as the initial setting (routing LFE to your mains) would first lead you to think...

You can also use the the aux and sub together - in this scenario, you would direct all summed LF except LFE to the mains, and the aux bi-amped subs would be crossed at where wish. The dedicated sub would then be configured to handle the LFE only. If you wanted two or more LFE only subs, you would have to connect them as master slave if your sub supported that, or with a splitter cable.

Thanks so much for the information. I have an in home demo of the MX151 on Thursday, Sept. 5th and I will have him run through these scenarios with me. Knowing what you know now, about the MX151, what things would you absolutely be sure to test while it's in home? My plan is to:

1. Do a complete setup of calibrations etc. minus room correction. Then test the core sound with my movies and music.

2. Have them setup room perfect, and repeat the testing.

Any information, advice or recommendations you would advise me to do please let me know. I have one day to do all my tests.

Thanks!
post #197 of 654 Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro2be View Post

Thanks so much for the information. I have an in home demo of the MX151 on Thursday, Sept. 5th and I will have him run through these scenarios with me. Knowing what you know now, about the MX151, what things would you absolutely be sure to test while it's in home? My plan is to:

1. Do a complete setup of calibrations etc. minus room correction. Then test the core sound with my movies and music.

2. Have them setup room perfect, and repeat the testing.

Any information, advice or recommendations you would advise me to do please let me know. I have one day to do all my tests.

Thanks!

One thing I highly suggest is a Room Perfect calibration is done and done properly. If the dealer that is doing the demo for you does not fully understand how Room Perfect works and how to conduct a proper room measurement, you will not achieve optimal results.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #198 of 654 Old 08-27-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

One thing I highly suggest is a Room Perfect calibration is done and done properly. If the dealer that is doing the demo for you does not fully understand how Room Perfect works and how to conduct a proper room measurement, you will not achieve optimal results.

What he said.

There is a doc in the first or second post of the thread from Ron Cornelius which summarizes the best ways to do Room Perfect.

It would be good if they had a laser measurement tool, or you provide one, to get very accurate distance measurements. Each focus position needs all speaker measurements, and you should do multiple, and play around with different seating afterward, changing the focus position to match, and try global, which averages all listening positions.

If doing stereo subs, and no other others, the Subwoofer needs to be turned off in the speaker settings, and your subs connected to AUX 1/2, and your mains set to XXL. Then in the AUX subs, you set the crossover you want, at which point the low bass and LFE to be sent to the subs (80, 63, 50 whatever is best with your setup) instead of your mains.

The subs should be relatively balanced with each main. Make sure they stop RP measurement after the minimum Room Knowledge is achieved, and check the Bypass level offsets - if any speakers are raised or lowered more then 12 db, something is not balanced - likely your subs are too low or too hot. Stereo subs need to be as physically close to the respective mains as reasonable.

If this is confusing to your installer, you're in trouble....
post #199 of 654 Old 08-28-2013, 01:47 PM

Thanks again for the great information. Apologies, I could have sworn I read the first pages of this thread but obviously not good enough. You explained in great detail how to achieve what I was asking.

If it's not an offensive question, would you all mind telling me if the MSRP on this unit is negotiable?

Thanks for all the pointers to room perfect. It seems this is going to be the one thing that needs to be right, that will seperate its true performance.
post #200 of 654 Old 08-28-2013, 09:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

There is a doc in the first or second post of the thread from Ron Cornelius which summarizes the best ways to do Room Perfect.

Ron Cornelius?

Wonder if that is the same guy that worked at Century Stereo in San Jose.
Bought a bunch of stuff from him back in the 80s.
Kind of looks like I remember him in that video.
post #201 of 654 Old 08-28-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post

Ron Cornelius?

No, Ron Cornelius was the guy that used to host Sooooouuuuullll Train.

Sanjay
post #202 of 654 Old 08-29-2013, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post

Ron Cornelius?

Bought a bunch of stuff from him back in the 80s.
Kind of looks like I remember him in that video.

That's him..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/centurystereo/6121173693/

Owner, AudioXtream.

Audioxtream.com
post #203 of 654 Old 08-29-2013, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

No, Ron Cornelius was the guy that used to host Sooooouuuuullll Train.

That's Don Cornelius smile.gif

Owner, AudioXtream.

Audioxtream.com
post #204 of 654 Old 08-29-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Would have been so much better if Don Cornelius was doing the RoomPerfect demo.
post #205 of 654 Old 08-29-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

Would have been so much better if Don Cornelius was doing the RoomPerfect demo.

Oh, he did the afternoon training session....

post #206 of 654 Old 08-29-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

post #207 of 654 Old 08-29-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Fricken' chooch... smile.gif

Owner, AudioXtream.

Audioxtream.com
post #208 of 654 Old 08-29-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Just played the opening to Top Gun! eek.gif

That was everyone's reaction. Then we jumped around to a few different scenes and eveyone kept saying never heard that before or I didn't realize there was that background noise. Pretty cool!

post #209 of 654 Old 08-29-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Does Room Perfect in the MX 150/151 pass 192 kHz?

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #210 of 654 Old 08-29-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Will Roomperfect correct for the drop in high frequencies from an acoustically transparent screen? Reading through Kal's review it makes it sound as though the focus point readings take the response the mic "hears" and uses that as a reference point. So if all three of my fronts are behind a screen, will it assume that rolloff is intended?

Kal says:

"Viewing the wide-range measurements in XTZ, it was apparent that RP had done a lot of smoothing and leveling between 300Hz and 1kHz, but very little above. I could see no significant corrections above 1kHz, on or off axis.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)