AVS Forum banner
1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Franklights 
#1 ·
I am interested in purchasing a new 4K TV from either Samsung or Sony. The Samsung has the evolutionary kit to help with upgrades. There is no means to see one of these sets now in Michigan. I don't want to put a down payment i cannot see.

The Sony looks good, but I wonder if there will be a means to upgrade to HDMI 2.0 or other upgrades. Any information would be helpful.

Bob

#2 ·
Human eye can't tell the difference unless you purchase extremely large size and sit extremely close! Your better off buying a high end plasma or oled. Sony 4k might look good but triluminous color is deceptive. Go zt60 or wait for next year zt70 or best available tv.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

#4 ·
I've got the Sony 84" 4K. I selected it after seeing the LG (84") and Samsung (85"). Although both of these other models (LG/Samsung) also have excellent images, I believe the Sony did a better job of processing. I also did not see anything in the Samsung that would cause me to spend the additional $15K for that panel, backlit or not. I have not experienced any of the issues that can sometimes be seen with edge lit displays.

Coincidental to your question, today I finally received confirmation from someone I trust at Sony that we (84" 4K owner's) will be upgraded at the appropriate time, not only for use of the X1 (we already have the Dell 4K Player), but to whatever HDMI spec is released to support 4K (the 2.0 designation has not been confirmed). That said, at this point it's a trust issue for those buying with the understanding an upgrade will be available. Personally, I didn't buy it for the 4K, I bought for it's size and the image it currently produces, so although I'd like the upgrade support, if it doesn't happen I'm still fine with the purchase.

Jim

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw  /t/1482751/upgrades-on-a-sony-4k#post_23560734

I've got the Sony 84" 4K. I selected it after seeing the LG (84") and Samsung (85"). Although both of these other models (LG/Samsung) also have excellent images, I believe the Sony did a better job of processing. I also did not see anything in the Samsung that would cause me to spend the additional $15K for that panel, backlit or not. I have not experienced any of the issues that can sometimes be seen with edge lit displays.

Coincidental to your question, today I finally received confirmation from someone I trust at Sony that we (84" 4K owner's) will be upgraded at the appropriate time, not only for use of the X1 (we already have the Dell 4K Player), but to whatever HDMI spec is released to support 4K (the 2.0 designation has not been confirmed). That said, at this point it's a trust issue for those buying with the understanding an upgrade will be available. Personally, I didn't buy it for the 4K, I bought for it's size and the image it currently produces, so although I'd like the upgrade support, if it doesn't happen I'm still fine with the purchase.

Jim

Just a quick question on the use of the non detachable speakers....can you bypass them to utilize your own sound system? Seems to me Sony made a big mistake by not having the speakers detachable.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Ross  /t/1482751/upgrades-on-a-sony-4k#post_23565856

Just a quick question on the use of the non detachable speakers....can you bypass them to utilize your own sound system? Seems to me Sony made a big mistake by not having the speakers detachable.

The 84"'s speaker's are detachable, the 65" and 55" are not, BUT, "yes" you can bypass the display's speaker's and use your audio system, with any of these 4K displays.

Jim

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Ross  /t/1482751/upgrades-on-a-sony-4k#post_23565856

I agree. They missed the boat on that one. A salesman at our local high end dealer said none were detachable and that market research showed that's what the 4k demographic wanted. Didn't sound right to me, sounded more like the company line. If you want a 4k monitor for the best in visuals I certainly don't think you would settle for integrated speakers for audio. They should have at least made them removable on all models or sold as accessories. On top of that they take up horizontal real estate I would rather use as more screen area.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw  /t/1482751/upgrades-on-a-sony-4k#post_23573848

Then buy the 84" display............

Jim

Sounds good to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanny  /t/1482751/upgrades-on-a-sony-4k#post_23575868

What's msrp on these new 84" TVS? When do we see them start to compete with 5-10k 100-130" diagonal projector-screen combos?

Sony 84" is about $25k but I believe LG has one as well for about $10k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.