Kaleidescape Cinema One...the cost of entry just got a whole lot cheaper ............. - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 199 Old 03-07-2014, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes, and it is marvelous....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 199 Old 03-07-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronsonstack View Post

Can someone explain the benefits of this over your usual HTPC and viewing your collection movie covers via xmbc, zappit, etc?

Is this just a product to make things convenient for the super rich?
That is covered earlier in the thread. But in a nutshell, you will not have to learn to build anything. It is ultra reliable compared to above solutions. Anyone can use it with ease. I have an HTPC that I use for everything other than movies and it is far less reliable and predictable than the Cinema One.

The other benefit is that you can buy movies online which today come as the same encodings as Blu-ray and in some cases, is available earlier than disc release. Gravity was an example. You buy the movies using any browser and it lands on your machine in the background. Once there, is no streaming, bandwidth issues, etc.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
post #183 of 199 Old 03-10-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How does movie ownership work with K if you have more than one residence, can you view the movie at each location or do you need to purchase multiple copies of the movie?
post #184 of 199 Old 03-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post

How does movie ownership work with K if you have more than one residence, can you view the movie at each location or do you need to purchase multiple copies of the movie?

If I got it right, you can store movies purchased in the Kaleidescape store on multiple (up to 5?) servers. However, if you own the movie on Bluray, you will need to buy multiple copies for mutliple servers.

Another option is of course to use a VPN, in which case you'll only need a server in one location...
post #185 of 199 Old 03-10-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nielsen View Post

If I got it right, you can store movies purchased in the Kaleidescape store on multiple (up to 5?) servers. However, if you own the movie on Bluray, you will need to buy multiple copies for mutliple servers.

Another option is of course to use a VPN, in which case you'll only need a server in one location...

Up to five Kaleidescape systems can be connected to the same movie store account.

Purchased movies download to all five systems, but you can also easily choose to download to particular systems.

This also applies to our disc-to-digital programs, so in the case where you own the movie on Blu-ray disc and we have it in our store with the necessary rights, you can pay just $1.99 to go disc-free AND have the Blu-ray quality movie downloaded to up to five systems.
post #186 of 199 Old 03-10-2014, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 466
is there a way to disable or change the sleep setting of the Cinema One?

mine goes to sleep after about 30 minutes of no activity: I would like to adjust that time longer: the screen saver setting does not seem to make a difference

I could do it with a timed event: sending a left cursor command every 30 minutes, but was wondering if there was an easier way...and if it might affect the life of the unit?

tia
pchannan likes this.

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #187 of 199 Old 03-10-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

is there a way to disable or change the sleep setting of the Cinema One?

mine goes to sleep after about 30 minutes of no activity: I would like to adjust that time longer: the screen saver setting does not seem to make a difference

I could do it with a timed event: sending a left cursor command every 30 minutes, but was wondering if there was an easier way...and if it might affect the life of the unit?

tia

Under the General tab in the setup menu you can adjust or turn off the screen saver and switch between standby and full power down, but I don't see any options for what you are seeking.

To access this menu, press the MENU button on your Kaleidescape remote, scroll to the System tab, and select Settings.

For those of you interested in the full details, here is the manual: http://www.kaleidescape.com/files/documentation/Kaleidescape-Cinema-One-Installation-Guide.pdf

If you are using an IP-based control system, we have an event called LEAVE_STANDBY that could be used instead of sending a potentially undesirable command. I do not recommend sending this command every 30-minutes 24 hours per day. Instead send it on a source change.
post #188 of 199 Old 03-11-2014, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronsonstack View Post

Can someone explain the benefits of this over your usual HTPC and viewing your collection movie covers via xmbc, zappit, etc?

Is this just a product to make things convenient for the super rich?

One of the features with most value (IMHO) in Kaleidescape is the bookmarking that they provide. You can just press play and the movie starts: You don't have to sit or fast forward through a lot of trailers or other annoying menus. I love this feature. I'm sure you can achieve the same thing with a HTPC if you have the patience to bookmark all your movies. For someone with thousands of disks, it's just too tedious and effectively makes Kaleidescape worth what it costs, but YMMV.
post #189 of 199 Old 03-11-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nielsen View Post

One of the features with most value (IMHO) in Kaleidescape is the bookmarking that they provide. You can just press play and the movie starts: You don't have to sit or fast forward through a lot of trailers or other annoying menus. I love this feature..

Completely agree. This alone has made the system worth the money for me. I often find that I barely have time to watch a movie. Kaleidescape helps allow me that time by eliminating all the crap that used to surround trying to watch a movie. Love it!

Kevin
pchannan likes this.
post #190 of 199 Old 03-12-2014, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Glad to see the DV700 has now been repriced to $3995.

Quick question regarding the Go Disc Free option.

When you choose to get the Digital version from the store, remove your disc copy from the server, and download the Digital copy they aren't the same are they?

I mean the picture and audio are 1:1 copies but you loose the Blu-Ray menu, the chapter menu, and extras?

Is that correct?
post #191 of 199 Old 03-13-2014, 09:28 PM

Will there ever be a cinema one like product from Kscape that can ...

1. Store 100 BD's, but expandable to 1000 or more depending on HD configuration.
2. Operate completely independent of a vault, i.e. load a BD and throw the disc away, or download from the store.
3. Decode and output pcm for all audio codecs.

... I would buy one, almost irregardless of cost.
post #192 of 199 Old 03-14-2014, 07:41 AM

While I don't know the answer to your question, I do know what my dad would tell me when I would try to use that word...

Irre-g*d-d*mn-gardless
post #193 of 199 Old 03-16-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayyou View Post

Will there ever be a cinema one like product from Kscape that can ...

1. Store 100 BD's, but expandable to 1000 or more depending on HD configuration.
2. Operate completely independent of a vault, i.e. load a BD and throw the disc away, or download from the store.

... I would buy one, almost irregardless of cost.

Your questions are obviously a "wish list" before buying, but as things currently stand.....

1. Current product can already do the 100 BD's, and although you can expand that number it requires buying another C1. There "was" a plan to build an external storage device that would increase capacity, but there have been comments that this is no longer being considered (but that might change).

2. Current product can do that now, but you must download from the K Store to be "disc free", and as you likely know, not all major studio's are available in the Store (but more are likely soon).

3. We have been asking for this for quite awhile, but it has not been a priority because of the relatively few K owner's that own processor's incapable of decoding the bitstream. It would be nice to have (for those owners), but may be awhile, if ever.

Jim
post #194 of 199 Old 03-16-2014, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
I agree this is highly unlikely.

You could use this if you have a 7.1 input.
https://www.gefen.com/pdf/onesheets/GTV-HDMI-2-HDMIAUD.pdf
post #195 of 199 Old 07-12-2014, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 466
question:

I want to setup a collection or playlist of music that will play all of the songs/albums in it continuously

I have tried various options such as favorites, collections, mix album, and I can repeat or shuffle within a given album, but how do you get an entire playlist or collection to play and or shuffle continuously?

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #196 of 199 Old 07-16-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
question:

I want to setup a collection or playlist of music that will play all of the songs/albums in it continuously

I have tried various options such as favorites, collections, mix album, and I can repeat or shuffle within a given album, but how do you get an entire playlist or collection to play and or shuffle continuously?
Just set up a collection that has all of the albums that you want included. Go to that collection and at the top of the list of albums is a "Play Collection" line. Click on this and the system will make playlist of all the songs from all of the albums in the collection in random order and will start playing. When it gets to the end it automatically starts over so it will continue playing until you stop it.
post #197 of 199 Old 08-19-2014, 01:54 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 369
CEDIA 2014: How Kaleidescape will Stay Relevant with Content, 4K, Cost

Kaleidescape CEO Cheena Srinivasan will “reposition” media server company to reach broader markets; promises more studio deals for online content, support for 4K Ultra HD, sub-$1k server by 2016.

At CEDIA Expo 2014, Kaleidescape will discuss plans for more online content, support for 4K, and lower-cost servers for a broader market.

By Julie Jacobson, August 19, 2014
Kaleidescape movie servers grace the homes, yachts and airplanes of elite clientele around the world. But those buyers are in limited supply and the broader market is calling. At the same time, the digital domain is growing more important by the second, and the historically disc-centric Kaleidescape has been slow to incorporate online content into its ecosystem. Newly appointed CEO Cheena Srinivasan, a Kaleidescape co-founder, says the company will address these issues at CEDIA Expo 2014, and demonstrate how Kaleidescape plans to respond with more studios represented in the company’s online video store, support for 4K Ultra HD by 2015, and a sub-$1,000 solution within a couple of years.
More Content Options, More Studio Deals

Kaleidescape launched an online movie store in 2012, inviting customers to download DVD- and later Blu-ray-quality movies and TV shows to their Kaleidescape systems. At launch, the company offered about 500 titles from Warner Brothers. Later in the year, though, Kaleidescape brought on Lionsgate and began offering classics like The Hunger Games and Twilight series, Apocalypse Now and Mad Men.
Srinivasan has always promised more relationships with more studios, but currently the store sits at about 4,600 titles from those two studios.
We can expect more, Srinivasan tells editor Dan Sait of our European publication Essential Install: “We are working hard to expand our catalog and expect to reveal good news at CEDIA Expo in Denver this September.”
Srinivasan adds, “Registration and purchases have been steadily climbing and it has been terrific to even see some mega purchases of 100 to 200 titles at a time by some of our customers.”
The CEO declined to provide further details about studio deals, only saying, “By 2017 we expect to have a large catalog of the finest quality content.”
RELATED: Can Warner Bros. Save Kaleidescape?
But he did suggest that streaming content, which Kaleidescape has not supported in the past, might make it into the company’s future offerings.
Srinivasan says rising broadband speeds, combined with faster and more sophisticated TV processors, are making “online streaming or download of high-quality movies and content a reality. … [W]e are in a position to create the very best of these types of services.”
Does that mean Kaleidescape will finally incorporate Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and other movie services into its content ecosystem?
It’s curious that Srinivasan mentions the speed and sophistication of TV processors. Does that mean Kaleidescape may license its famous media-management software to TV vendors and, for that matter, other component manufacturers?
‘Repositioning’ Kaleidescape for a Broader Market

The custom installation industry oohed and aahed at Kaleidescape’s “affordable” Cinema One server introduced last year—a $4,000 machine, not including the $5,500 disc vault for Blu-ray playback. But the mass market still balked at the price.

Srinivasan wants to go broader, aiming this time

for a sub-$1,000 solution by 2016.

“Our aim,” he tells Essential Install, “is to reposition the company and make the Kaleidescape experience available to as many people as possible.”
Srinivasan doesn’t specify how the company will get to the price point, only that the new product could be “a disc-based system or in the cloud.”
Kaleidescape isn’t even thinking about competing with the likes of Google Play, according to Srinivasan: “We will always be at the quality end of the market and be a custom install product, but we can definitely get much bigger and gain a much wider audience and that is our aim.”
Planning for 4K Ultra HD

Srinivasan acknowledges the excitement around 4K Ultra HD but says Kaleidescape has held off supporting the format because “for us to be involved, the quality of the content has to be there.”
He adds that Kaleidescape is “already working with studios to make sure we have access to those high-quality 4K titles when they come. … We are using our relationships with the content creators to make sure we will be involved. We aim to have a 4K player from Kaleidescape in 2015 and we will have attractive upgrade paths for our customers.”
Srinivasan says Kaleidescape will begin its 4K foray with digital downloads, and then add streaming and disc-based support.
“We will go where the best quality content can be delivered,” he says. “Customers should not be in a position where they have to worry about the format. All they should have to worry about is: what do I like and how do I get more of it? It’s our job to deliver that experience.”
thxman likes this.
post #198 of 199 Old 08-19-2014, 02:40 PM

Liked: 11
That is a very interesting article. With the introduction of the Sony 4k media center at ~700 msrp, I wondered if K felt more pricing pressure to compete with Sony and other soon to be server manufacturers. Although 4k is limited to Sony for the most part. Building a cheaper server and expanding its store could make them a household name? Only time will tell.
post #199 of 199 Old 09-15-2014, 09:53 AM

Liked: 11
And now Sony is on the K- store...starting to run out of room on my Cinema one. But I am hesitate to invest in another C1 when 4k server is around the corner and don't want a 'storage' box just sitting around in the future. I bought the c1 as an open box and my wife loves it. I still used xbmc for a lot of my Blu-ray content. It all comes down to storage(cheaper with xbmc) and the interface(K is so much better for my wife). I have to manage my dvd and blu ray collection between the two devices. I wish K would integrate other Amazon or Netflix on their product. Or allow me to access all of my UV content on the K server..

Last edited by Aerialsound; 09-15-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Tags
Lg Smart Bp420 Blu Ray 3d Video Player
Gear in this thread - Bp420 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page