HT Speaker Choices? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-27-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a speaker setup to do a 9.2 system build. My final choice so far is the Focal Electra 1000 series. I would appreciate any other suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-27-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I am looking at a new 9.2 or 11.2 set up in a movie only set up with microperf and am considering Seaton Catalysts (and/or Sparks) all around or PHC. I want a high sensitivity, big dynamics and will only use speakers using a compression driver.

Looks like you and I are on opposite sides of the spectrum!biggrin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #3 of 5 Old 08-27-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Curious as to why you would only use compression drivers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-27-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Limited dynamics all other types (and typically require more power / not as sensitive). I prefer the limited directivity of the high freq response as well compared to dome tweeters and the likes). Personal preference.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #5 of 5 Old 09-01-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by groupkim View Post

I am looking for a speaker setup to do a 9.2 system build. My final choice so far is the Focal Electra 1000 series. I would appreciate any other suggestions.

I think the electras are a great choice, not only are they astecicaly pleasing but they offer a nice blend of movies and music. I'm using the Electra center along with the micro Utopias be for my mains and I'm very happy.

I recently went to the genelec headquarters in Boston where I demod various speakers against my focals, in fact they typically measure the speakers that people bring in so they can show how well the genelecs measure and my focals were some of the best they seen and close to the genelec a that we compared.

If its ht your concerned about, there are a lot of good choices, like the bland mentioned seatons speakers, genelecs, etc.. Preferably powered
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page