Theta Casblanca Freezes - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 89 Old 09-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you rush right out to CEDIA rolleyes.gif you can hear it all now, CB IV with the new Aerial 7T's ....

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

THETA DIGITAL
DEMONSTRATES EDGE OF THE ART STEREO SYSTEM at CEDIA EXPO
NEW CASABLANCA IV MUSIC AND CINEMA CONTROLLER
NEW PROMETHEUS MONOBLOCK CLASS D AMPLIFIERS
NEW COMPLI BLU 3D DIGITAL TRANSPORT
AERIAL ACOUSTICS 7T LOUDPEAKERS

Montebello, CA , September 26, 2013 - The most widely acclaimed manufacturer of high-end audio components, Theta Digital, will be demonstrating its latest high-performance components in Booth 2420 at the Denver Convention Center.

The components:

Theta Digital Casablanca IV Music and Cinema Controller
Introduced today at the CEDIA Expo, the Casablanca IV is the latest version of Theta Digital’s acclaimed preamp/processor. Now with Jitter Jail™ II and Dirac Live® 96K Digital Room Correction and Optimization built-in, auditioners will have an opportunity to compare the sound with these compelling technologies in and out of the system.

Theta Digital Compli Blu 3D Digital Transport
The most recent in a long-line of acclaimed Theta Digital transports, the Compli Blu 3D has been optimized for digital playback. In fact, it has no analog outputs.

Theta Digtal Prometheus Monoblock Amplifiers
Theta Digital’s first Class D amplifeirs are a collaboration between Bruno Putzeys of Hypex and Dave Reich, Theta Digital’s chief engineer. The amplifiers, rated at 250W RMS from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than 0.01% THD at 8 ohms, 500W RMS with the same conditions at 4 ohms and 1000 W RMS with the same conditions at 2 ohms use a Reich designed linear power supply with Putzey’s NC-1200 N-Core Class D amplifier module.

Aerial Acoustic 7t Loudspeakers
Designed by Michael Kelly and his team, these universally acclaimed speakers are sure to reveal any deficienies in the source material or in the associated components. We expect to astound the auditioners.

TURN IT UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 Old 09-27-2013, 03:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Auro processing on the Theta and upgrades for more than 7.1?

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #63 of 89 Old 09-27-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Auro processing on the Theta and upgrades for more than 7.1?

Why are you asking? So you can borrow another Theta Casablanca and let it sit for a month and not even properly demo it like last ti:rolleyes:me?

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #64 of 89 Old 09-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancjodanc View Post

I am talking about Craig in NJ, yes. I have a home IN NYC as well....and have talked to him for a long time..but never meet. I see he has a pair of 9's for a great price..and that silver finish is BEAUTIFUL! Again, maybe the step under the 9's would be fine as well? I need to find a dealer, and listen first. But, hopefully Craig can cut me a deal.

So with running all Aerial's....it's possible to get the best of both worlds...music and movies...as far as your concerned I mean?

I'm also waiting for the DIRAC board....wanted that for the maggie's to help dial in the sound...but maybe should wait and see, and put that money on the speakers! What models are you using for surround?

I like the direction you are taking. Bring Super8 to VGI/Craig's store and make him earn his keep. :-) My humble opinion regarding speakers: they tend to last a long long time and define the basic sound of your system, so do get the biggest/best front threes (main and center) that you could afford and space allow, especially for hometheater. You could "cheat" on the surround for now, but the front 3 need to leave no doubt. And yes your partner needs to understand what's important in life and allow you to pull those speakers away from the wall; say no to in-wall. But do be careful, big speakers are going to want high power amps as well; this is the infamous audiophile $spiral.

In particular, I like the center channel to be as large/full range as possible because it does handle a lot of sound in movies (much more than I thought, and much more "full range" than expected). You like it to be large so you don't have to cross it over to sub-woofer at too high a frequency, as IMHO it alters the quality of the voice. I like both Thiel MCS and Aerial center speakers for this reason: among largest on market, IIRC both 3 ways, with dual "woofers".

Agreed, if budget is limited, I would vote for speakers over DIRAC upgrade. CBIII HD properly set up with great speakers is a take-no-prisoner package tongue.gif already.

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - THE processor for audiophiles! My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 & 3914
Give vinyl and tube gears a try - the sound from heaven :-).
post #65 of 89 Old 09-29-2013, 08:48 AM

Liked: 10

It likes a nice pace with pauses between commands and I assure you it can run flawlessly.thanks

26.gif

post #66 of 89 Old 09-29-2013, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'll have to do more research on the DIRAC system...to see if it acts like the other room corrections out there....giving you reference tones, speaker distance, delays, etc....which would be nice.

I would like to hear anyone's opinion about their speakers and distance from the rear wall! As I've said...I'm looking at the Aerials, the new 7T or the 9's....even the 5's....and like B&W...but the 802's are SO large...I know they would need 3-4 feet from the rear wall to sing. Maybe the smaller Revels would not have to be so far out?

I could also try room treatment....some of those square's place behind the speakers could help diffuse the sound as well?
post #67 of 89 Old 09-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancjodanc View Post

I'll have to do more research on the DIRAC system...to see if it acts like the other room corrections out there....giving you reference tones, speaker distance, delays, etc....which would be nice.

I would like to hear anyone's opinion about their speakers and distance from the rear wall! As I've said...I'm looking at the Aerials, the new 7T or the 9's....even the 5's....and like B&W...but the 802's are SO large...I know they would need 3-4 feet from the rear wall to sing. Maybe the smaller Revels would not have to be so far out?

I could also try room treatment....some of those square's place behind the speakers could help diffuse the sound as well?

Have you contemplated the Aerial System 1 speakers? They are based on the model 9 and can be, or should be sat right on the rear wall. You do not have to buy the full system.
post #68 of 89 Old 09-29-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

I just read about the System 1 system. The price for the L/R is very similar to the 7T, or even the 9's on Audiogon. That could work...just not as attractive as the 7T's or the 9's! But something I do need to consider. Since I do use this system for music as well.....I would have to hear how close to the 9's they sound...
post #69 of 89 Old 10-05-2013, 02:22 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Why are you asking? So you can borrow another Theta Casablanca and let it sit for a month and not even properly demo it like last ti:rolleyes:me?

That's not a nice thing to do....I also didn't know perfrmance was based on channels...wink.gif
post #70 of 89 Old 10-05-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hmmm. I do wonder if the CBIV can output over 7.1 channels and decode Auro 3d?

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #71 of 89 Old 10-05-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:

Hmmm. I do wonder if the CBIV can output over 7.1 channels and decode Auro 3d?

I don't know if you are trying to really know about that or just talking to push answers here, but if you really don't know, then you don't know Theta at all.
First this is an all new processor, it shares the same technology that Datasat uses (Dirac Live) and is upgradable.
Processors of it's class are in a complete new dimension and Theta Digital will stand aside the Datasat RS20i along with ADA.
If you have the chance go to Cedia, it's all there.
post #72 of 89 Old 10-05-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefTheater View Post

I don't know if you are trying to really know about that or just talking to push answers here, but if you really don't know, then you don't know Theta at all.
First this is an all new processor, it shares the same technology that Datasat uses (Dirac Live) and is upgradable.
Processors of it's class are in a complete new dimension and Theta Digital will stand aside the Datasat RS20i along with ADA.
If you have the chance go to Cedia, it's all there.

So, there is Auro?
No, but it could be a decent front end for a Trinnov processor if it was all the newer multichannel codecs an be decoded and output digitally (up to 13.1 channels) to a Trinnov processor. Not interested in Dirac live but the ability to output up to 13 channels digitally as that is where things are going if you want to be on the cutting edge.

post #73 of 89 Old 10-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So, there is Auro?
No, but it could be a decent front end for a Trinnov processor if it was all the newer multichannel codecs an be decoded and output digitally (up to 13.1 channels) to a Trinnov processor. Not interested in Dirac live but the ability to output up to 13 channels digitally as that is where things are going if you want to be on the cutting edge.

Were you ever into 2 channel audiophile music and stereo, or did this aspect and era pass you by? I seem to detect some misunderstanding of Theta's history and its mission here.

Theta has always been a high-end audiophile company (in the non-snobbish sense of the word to indicate its history); its competitors is not what you are using, but the likes of Meridian. These companies don't compete based on number of channels, but SOTA quality of sound. Owners actually judge these units with 2 channel music as a critical criteria, a finer point that I think you might have missed. If you have doubt, just look at typical speakers and systems of owners in Theta thread; they have very little in common with speakers seen with "cutting edge" 27.5 channels SSP. Not to imply it is "better" for everyone, but it is for sure, for a different "crowd."

Perhaps if you think of the beautiful Porsche 911 Turbo every time you think of Theta, then you won't be asking these silly questions. Porsche's sole mission is to kill the likes of Ferrari tongue.gif at less cost, it doesn't care how many seats the Lexus SUV has. Porsche = Theta, Meridian = Ferrari, or something to that effect :-); all iconic, and never an outright winner.

Theta's success is that it's a $12k stereo + hometheater preamp competing with 25k products
on sound quality, with spectacular results. To that end, I think the opposite from you: and that is..... *KISS*, keep cost down (it's always about the money), stay with 7.1 as primary goal, concentrate on sound quality alone, let other companies be pioneers with bells and whistles as they may go the way of 3D Video, and never worry about the number of seats of the Lexus SUV ;-). Number of channels in the Theta being the key? Not quite.

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - THE processor for audiophiles! My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 & 3914
post #74 of 89 Old 10-06-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Do not waste your breath on "The Bland". He is the "Anti-Theta" ever since years ago he couldn't get a free then Casablanca 2 from Neil Sinclair/Theta Digital in return for his volunteering his wife to do PR for them! Less than two years ago he obtained apparently from a dealer a loaned CB3 HD and had it for a month but supposedly never demod it, it was too complicated for him and he didn't have the time. He said he would have a AVS meet so folks could compare but he never did. Perhaps the demo went too well so he simply decided that he hadn't time to demo it as far as AVSers are concerned? The Bland has often admitted that his system sounds great for movies but not good for music - quite contrary to us Theta luvers who find our systems sound great for both music and movies! The Bland is into features, not sound quality - and he is into Theta bashing as well. The Bland holds the world record for instigating the closure of Theta threads on AVS. That's why Theta luvers should IGNORE him.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #75 of 89 Old 10-06-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post

Were you ever into 2 channel audiophile music and stereo, or did this aspect and era pass you by? I seem to detect some misunderstanding of Theta's history and its mission here.

Theta has always been a high-end audiophile company (in the non-snobbish sense of the word to indicate its history); its competitors is not what you are using, but the likes of Meridian. These companies don't compete based on number of channels, but SOTA quality of sound. Owners actually judge these units with 2 channel music as a critical criteria, a finer point that I think you might have missed. If you have doubt, just look at typical speakers and systems of owners in Theta thread; they have very little in common with speakers seen with "cutting edge" 27.5 channels SSP. Not to imply it is "better" for everyone, but it is for sure, for a different "crowd."

Perhaps if you think of the beautiful Porsche 911 Turbo every time you think of Theta, then you won't be asking these silly questions. Porsche's sole mission is to kill the likes of Ferrari tongue.gif at less cost, it doesn't care how many seats the Lexus SUV has. Porsche = Theta, Meridian = Ferrari, or something to that effect :-); all iconic, and never an outright winner.

Theta's success is that it's a $12k stereo + hometheater preamp competing with 25k products
on sound quality, with spectacular results. To that end, I think the opposite from you: and that is..... *KISS*, keep cost down (it's always about the money), stay with 7.1 as primary goal, concentrate on sound quality alone, let other companies be pioneers with bells and whistles as they may go the way of 3D Video, and never worry about the number of seats of the Lexus SUV ;-). Number of channels in the Theta being the key? Not quite.

There is no doubt the Theta has loyal owners and is a competent piece. This forum is proof enough. The owners have fine, top shelf speaker systems. I have no doubt their systems are excellent sounding.

When I was a kid, I liked 2 channel and had a decent system for a 16 year old (I always had a job). But during my later years of study, I worked at Sears part time in the TV department and they had a home theater set up, laser disc player and Top Gun! I quickly bought into it all despite my meager wages. Loved 5.1 Dolby Surround and have had a system since. It captivated and amazed me.

As you're aware, I have a Porsche Turbo S and when I get into the cockpit, it's simply speed I'm thinking!biggrin.gif But your analogy does have some value as Porsche unlike other exotics is a daily driver, a formidable race car, rarely has any mechanical issues, is cheap to repair and compared to more expensive exotics like Lamborghini and Ferrari is faster and a magnificent track car for a fraction of the price. It is 'KISS' to a fault. Though Ferrari and Lambo are wonderful cars, Porsche was my fit and I can pile to kids in the back seat - can't do that in the others. That said, I'd love to have Ash's garage as the 358, to me, is the most beautiful car in the world and I hope to have one some day.

I know the Theta is a good sounding processor that really has it's following to folks that have nice 2 channel systems that like to do home theater as well. And I am aware there are folks who use Theta in excellent, dedicated theaters (Ash, Lon). However, most users here choose rooms that are treated acoustically for 2 channel, compromise their center channel buy putting it below a screen or, unfortunately, use a flat screen monitor. I'd like a nice 2 channel system but I'm of the believe, it requires a separate room. I can't imagine a nice 2 channel system with a perf screen and baffle wall.. but an ideal theater can not be without such in my opinion.

My biggest hang up with Theta was their HDMI disaster. Blu ray was on the market nearly 5 years before they added HDMI and that cemented my preconceived notion that the CB is for folks who really do home theater as a secondary thing as who'd put up with that ****? I could never buy a piece and wonder if, as technology moves forward, they would wait until the new technology is fading to finally add it (e.g. as HDMI is new on the CB, now it is already dated as version 2.0 is here). I would hope the new Theta will be HDMI 2.0.

But that is history and now the piece has HDMI and a new update coming. Myself, having built an ideal room and ideal 7.1 set up, now sees that 7.1 one is going away as a limitation in getting the best surround experience. Today's technology that is found in Trinnov and DIRAC allows for more precision surround sound with the advantage of more speakers to better flesh out the surround environment. Adding more speakers in the context of new algorithms and equipment allows for more definition, spatial accuracy and resolution of the effects. I've got a great set up that gives an excellent 7.1 experience, but I'm confident after my readings, the advancement of technology, and trips to CEDIA that 3d audio is here, ready and better.

I made a comment regarding potentially buying a new Theta above since I am going to use Trinnov and at least 9 or 11 channels in my own room. There are new modes and post processing algorithms I'd like to employ that may or may not make it to Trinnov (though it is fully upgradeable and Curt Hoyt says it is possible Trinnov may add such). That is where my reference to the Theta comes in. It appears to have a unique new digital output card that IF the new THETA CB-IV employs Neo X post processing, Auro 3D decoding, (like DATASAT will employ) AND ability to output 13.1 channels, it may make sense for me to own to put in front of my Trinnov as a decoder and source switcher (wouldn't even the DACs). It's a new product for ATI, why not aim high and truly make it ground breaking and directly compete with the DATASAT?

My years of teasing the Theta guys was really the HDMI thing - which was a cornucopia of ammo and the fact that despite it's celebrated greatness, rarely did anyone other than a long time owners here ever buy one new. To me, folks just held on to it because of the economics, drank the Kool-Aid that HDMI and lossless audio really wasn't that desirable or because they believed the repeated lies from the manufacturer that HDMI was about ready to be employed. Even when other great (and not so great processors) were decoding and post processing DTS MA and TRUE HD, they celebrated the 6 shooter - a device essentially designed to bypass the CB DACS and post processing, The six shooter was another expensive band aid that gave me a lot of ammo. When Steve bragged how great the Onkyo was... welI... I didn't think I'd ever stop laughing.

This is a home theater site and I understand most Theta owners' systems excel at 2 channel rather than a great home theater experience... and that is fine. But it's not my thing.

post #76 of 89 Old 10-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1. I'd like a nice 2 channel system but I'm of the believe, it requires a separate room. I can't imagine a nice 2 channel system with a perf screen and baffle wall.. but an ideal theater can not be without such in my opinion.

2. This is a home theater site and I understand most Theta owners' systems excel at 2 channel rather than a great home theater experience... and that is fine. But it's not my thing.

1. Perf screen - a must for ideal theater? Jeff, you are giving me chest pain. tongue.gif If you think I would believe it is a good idea to put my timbre matched Thiel center behind a "plastic" sheet :-), then you really have underestimated my hi-end OCD and sensibility.

2. Fair enough, except for this: for me, a SOTA hometheater sound must start with a SOTA 2 channel sound. Any system is only as strong as its weakest link. I think, humbly, that the stunning holographic sound I got from my CBIII HD is from the fact that the 3 front speakers are setup, for lack of a better word, in an "audiophile" fashion. 5 feet from the wall, and NO perf screen in front of it. Not that it matters, or you care, but if I were to audition your system, I would put a familiar and well recorded 2 channel cd and if it doesn't sound right to me, for example strident high, the audition would very likely end right there.

The implication is NEVER that my way is the right way, but that people/companies have different priorities. Theta is like the 911 ;-): Either you understand the "philosophy," otherwise it would be a waste of money. Check the Theta thread right now: people are openly talking about sticking a tube preamp into the system after the Gen VIII to improve the sound cool.gif.
So the philosophy, to me anyway, is this: Theta is most definitely at a pinnacle right now with coming Dirac upgrade and major competitor Meridian costing so much, so best to concentrate on making 7.1 sound SOTA, let other people try the latest and most fashionable technology first. You might be right about Auro, but it is far from conclusive in the home environment it doesn't go the way of 3D Video and Surround Music. I prefer to pay more attention to making sure the first 2 channels are right, as opposed to chasing ever more channels and more technology to cover basic deficiency.

PS Yes of course I know we share a passion for the Turbo. Your Turbo S with PDK is blinding fast; congrats and drive in good health.

Regards, Can
post #77 of 89 Old 10-08-2013, 03:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post

1. Perf screen - a must for ideal theater? Jeff, you are giving me chest pain. tongue.gif If you think I would believe it is a good idea to put my timbre matched Thiel center behind a "plastic" sheet :-), then you really have underestimated my hi-end OCD and sensibility.

2. Fair enough, except for this: for me, a SOTA hometheater sound must start with a SOTA 2 channel sound. Any system is only as strong as its weakest link. I think, humbly, that the stunning holographic sound I got from my CBIII HD is from the fact that the 3 front speakers are setup, for lack of a better word, in an "audiophile" fashion. 5 feet from the wall, and NO perf screen in front of it. Not that it matters, or you care, but if I were to audition your system, I would put a familiar and well recorded 2 channel cd and if it doesn't sound right to me, for example strident high, the audition would very likely end right there.

The implication is NEVER that my way is the right way, but that people/companies have different priorities. Theta is like the 911 ;-): Either you understand the "philosophy," otherwise it would be a waste of money. Check the Theta thread right now: people are openly talking about sticking a tube preamp into the system after the Gen VIII to improve the sound cool.gif.
So the philosophy, to me anyway, is this: Theta is most definitely at a pinnacle right now with coming Dirac upgrade and major competitor Meridian costing so much, so best to concentrate on making 7.1 sound SOTA, let other people try the latest and most fashionable technology first. You might be right about Auro, but it is far from conclusive in the home environment it doesn't go the way of 3D Video and Surround Music. I prefer to pay more attention to making sure the first 2 channels are right, as opposed to chasing ever more channels and more technology to cover basic deficiency.

PS Yes of course I know we share a passion for the Turbo. Your Turbo S with PDK is blinding fast; congrats and drive in good health.

I don't doubt the CBIII is an excellent processor. The fact they make various DAC options available as well as outboard DACS is a testament not only to that but certainly attracts those who demand high end 2 ch response but want good theater, too. Certainly, with the digital out, this piece is most certainly for the audiophile rather than the videophile as most will use for high quality audio tracks... and that's OK. I think it is really the type of buyer that separates out this piece. I agree with you that if you have awesome 2 channel, all else will follow... so who'd screw up a great 2 channel set up by putting a vinyl or fabric veil in front of it? This is why I'd bet few Theta owners use perf screens. With the DIRAC option upcoming, it may even start attracting primary videophile users (and perf screen users)... But just like you won't place a screen a screen in front of your front speakers to mess with the 2 ch sound, I wouldn't have a theater without a perf screen. You can never have it both ways...biggrin.gif

You must be a Porsche owner as well. Thanks... I do my best to drive safely and I do get out to the track to really run it. Awesome cars in a class of their own!

Guys like me prefer a more progressive surround processor with more bells and whistles, faster updates to new formats, faster hardware updates and more cutting edge. Then again, with Trinnov, I may not even need an SSP?!

post #78 of 89 Old 10-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Jeff, yes, we share a passion for Porsche. Mine is 997.1 Turbo with manual box, with modded suspension, exhaust, and custom tune ECU. Hard to believe but I am even nuttier about Porsche than audio/video and post frequently here http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/

Regards, Can
post #79 of 89 Old 10-11-2013, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Guys like me prefer a more progressive surround processor with more bells and whistles, faster updates to new formats, faster hardware updates and more cutting edge. Then again, with Trinnov, I may not even need an SSP?!

I do love it when "thebland" enters the fray; you stir things up better than anyone!

For what you're looking for I think you might like the new processors on their way from Storm:

http://www.stormaudio.com/en/products/surround-processors/7788-ssp-16-3d.html

Have you checked these out yet?
post #80 of 89 Old 10-30-2013, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

New subject...I just got a Dreadnaught amp for my Casa yesterday. It's just so beautiful. Got an amp stand...so it's not in a rack....nothing above it. But...it runs so HOT! Is that normal. Even in standby mode...it's very warm to the touch...the rear part of the amp. I know the Casa runs hot as well...even in standby.....but this is pretty warm! Just wanted to hear if anyone else thought so...or if that was normal? I could run a fan across it...or put one on top and let it blow into the amp..just hate to ruin the beauty of this thing with a fan on top! Joe
post #81 of 89 Old 10-30-2013, 03:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777BigAnt777 View Post

I do love it when "thebland" enters the fray; you stir things up better than anyone!

For what you're looking for I think you might like the new processors on their way from Storm:

http://www.stormaudio.com/en/products/surround-processors/7788-ssp-16-3d.html

Have you checked these out yet?

I see it can output up to 16 channels via DB-25... Is that a digital output? I'd like to get multichannel (up to 16) digital input to a Trinnov.. would this work?

Storm Audio: audio output:
16 - DB25

Trinnov: AES Input/Output
3 x 8 channels I/O via 3 x DB25 (110 ohms – Tascam Pinout):
- 3 x 8 inputs selection
- 2 x 8 outputs

Thanks!

post #82 of 89 Old 10-30-2013, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Only the Datasat RS20i can do that right now. Big advantage of course is that it actually exists outside of a press release. wink.gif

Neil Davidson - Visit my facebook page
post #83 of 89 Old 10-30-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceenhad View Post

Only the Datasat RS20i can do that right now. Big advantage of course is that it actually exists outside of a press release. wink.gif

Hi Neil. I get what you're saying.(and agree). Here and now.

With running PCM through the Trinnov, are there potential issues a with lip sync as there is so much more outboard audio processing compared to video. .. Or is this inconsequential?

Thanks!

post #84 of 89 Old 10-30-2013, 09:32 AM

The worry of course is that due to the extra DSP you end with video leading audio rather than the much more common alternative scenario. With luck though the human brain is programmed to be much more accepting of this situation since in reality we always see someones lips moving before we heard the words spoken.

In this instance it is tricky to give an exact answer. I dont expect an issue for the following reasons but I would want to do a bit of testing to be 100% sure.

1. The Audio signal on the digital outs of the RS20 should still be in correct sync thanks to HDMI1.4 and the timing adjustments this makes.
2. Externally the Trinnov is designed to be very low latency and even shows the delays it is introducing. You can throw a bit of money and get the fastest processor currently available to speed things along.
3. Without a bit of help you are going to be limited to 48/16 output on the outputs from the RS20i which the trinnov can process speedily. 96/24 chews up a lot more number crunching power wink.gif
4. Depending on the speakers you choose their amps may also be packing some DSP. Typically this is short (PRO Audio <1ms) but not to be ignored.

HTH

Neil

post #85 of 89 Old 10-30-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The worry of course is that due to the extra DSP you end with video leading audio rather than the much more common alternative scenario. With luck though the human brain is programmed to be much more accepting of this situation since in reality we always see someones lips moving before we heard the words spoken.

In this instance it is tricky to give an exact answer. I dont expect an issue for the following reasons but I would want to do a bit of testing to be 100% sure.

1. The Audio signal on the digital outs of the RS20 should still be in correct sync thanks to HDMI1.4 and the timing adjustments this makes.
2. Externally the Trinnov is designed to be very low latency and even shows the delays it is introducing. You can throw a bit of money and get the fastest processor currently available to speed things along.
3. Without a bit of help you are going to be limited to 48/16 output on the outputs from the RS20i which the trinnov can process speedily. 96/24 chews up a lot more number crunching power wink.gif
4. Depending on the speakers you choose their amps may also be packing some DSP. Typically this is short (PRO Audio <1ms) but not to be ignored.

HTH

Neil

Thanks Neil. You're always a big help.

I'm not going to be using DSP amps.

For Blu Ray sources, it will be a JVB modded Oppo so I get full resolution form the digital output (96/24 and 48/24) and my SSP that will connect via analog outputs for non Blu Ray sources.
My speakers are either going to be Seatons or PHC.

I'd like to add an SSP like Datasat for the upcoming codecs (Auro 3d, Neo X) but a 'lite' version would be great as I'd like a full resolution digital out to the Trinnov.

Thanks!

post #86 of 89 Old 11-02-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:

I'd like to add an SSP like Datasat for the upcoming codecs (Auro 3d, Neo X) but a 'lite' version would be great as I'd like a full resolution digital out to the Trinnov.

Thanks!

Lol NDA prevents me commenting on this!

post #87 of 89 Old 11-07-2013, 04:34 PM

i agree with you,thebland is trying to get a rise out of Steve B. with his mistruths & half lies and tends to confuse people who don't know any better.I would take anything he has to say about Theta with a grain of salt or less too,thanks

32.gif

post #88 of 89 Old 12-02-2013, 03:56 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Lol NDA prevents me commenting on this!

Would love to hear further about a "lite" version if you are able to discuss
post #89 of 89 Old 12-09-2013, 05:40 AM

that right,I would need to change the baud rate setting in both places. And, after that setting change I'd have to reboot the Portserver! thanks

V7F593

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page