Theta Casblanca Freezes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 89 Old 09-02-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a new owner....and have had a few hick ups with the IIIHD. When I power on, from time to time, it freezes on the start up screen. It says 'Theta Digital Casablana III HD'....and the screen just stays there. The remote won't change anything...I can't change any imput, even when I press the buttons on the front! I have to turn it off on the back and unplug it. Then it will work. This has happened a few times over the past month...but it happened twice yesterday! Not sure why? I do have a remote control connected to the RS232 port on the back..could it be this? It's also plugged into a Transparent Audio power conditioner....but it is grounded...so don't think it's this! Anyone have anything similar...or an idea why? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 09-02-2013, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had the same issue since the upgrade to HD. I'm plugged into the wall and don't have RS232 setup for anything, so I'm pretty sure both of these aren't causing the issue. I also have an issue with Dolby trueHD. Sound tracks skip for some odd reason. The same BD's won't do this on other systems. I brought up the issues with theta but there's not much they can do about them for now is my guess. I'm not really bothered by them as they don't happen often. I barely have time to watch movies anymore and when I do I only watch ones with DTS MasterHD anyway. I so love the sound that I can easily live with the other issues. Now if I used the unit more often, then the system freezes would be really annoying. I’m sure they will fix them over time. Theta always pulls through..
post #3 of 89 Old 09-02-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancjodanc View Post

I'm a new owner....and have had a few hick ups with the IIIHD. When I power on, from time to time, it freezes on the start up screen. It says 'Theta Digital Casablana III HD'....and the screen just stays there. The remote won't change anything...I can't change any imput, even when I press the buttons on the front! I have to turn it off on the back and unplug it. Then it will work. This has happened a few times over the past month...but it happened twice yesterday! Not sure why? I do have a remote control connected to the RS232 port on the back..could it be this? It's also plugged into a Transparent Audio power conditioner....but it is grounded...so don't think it's this! Anyone have anything similar...or an idea why? Thanks

Freezing while starting up is not a bug we normally here about - so I suspect the issue is something loose in your unit Or the firmware got corrupted. I'd first reload the firmware from Theta's website. If that doesn't solve it, I'd call John Baloff, Tech support, at Theta.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #4 of 89 Old 09-02-2013, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

I thought it might be something lose in the Theta. I had it shipped twice..to get to me, the last was UPS Ground...and maybe something is lose? So I should upgrade the firmware again...and then go from there?
post #5 of 89 Old 09-02-2013, 06:13 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Joe

Its the RS232 code you are sending.

It needs to be slowed down and tested in your sending device.

Disconnect the RS232 and use the regular remote for a few days and you will see if goes away.

Also, Make sure you do not plug the Cb3 into a power conditioner. It has its own essentially and doesnt like conditioning.

Do not reload the firmware.. It has the latest and its fine.. Its the RS232 100%

Craig
post #6 of 89 Old 09-02-2013, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Craig. I'll unplug the RS232...sure. I can do that for a few days, no problem. Once I do that....should I choose a lower BAUD rate? I'm using the highest one right now....using an iPad with software called iRule.
Also...sometimes it does not detect an incoming signal...HDMI. I have to change the imput on the Casa to something else..go back to the imput I want...and then the image will play. But, maybe that has to do with the RS232 issue as well? Joe
post #7 of 89 Old 09-02-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Also...sometimes it does not detect an incoming signal...HDMI

I have the same problem but ONLY with my HPTC. I can't boot the PC prior to the CB3 being turned on or the CB3 won't see signal, there no getting around starting the system in sequence,CB3, projector (either one first) then the PC.. This only happens with my CB. I've reported these issues to theta a while ago. At first they thought it was a non-properly seated card as well (the freezing issue), but we proved that wrong quickly. These are code issues (my guess HDMI is the culprit). And as time goes by they will be solved as always. It just takes some patience (almost a requirement for a CB owner, and I've been one since the CB first came out). But it's ALWAYS well worth the wait. The CBIIIHD really is amazing, even with its few quirks. Welcome to the family! wink.gif
post #8 of 89 Old 09-03-2013, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

I slowed down the BAUD rate...and plugged it into the wall directly. It seems to be working so far. I'm a little nervous about no surge protection of any kinda...since I do get power outages from time to time. If anyone uses a power conditioner of any sort....let me know. I was using the Transparent Audio Powerwave, which is grounded.
post #9 of 89 Old 09-03-2013, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

I'm also getting some 'pop's in the surrounds....when the imput changes...only when that happens. Is that a ground issue?
post #10 of 89 Old 09-04-2013, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

OK..I had the BAUD rate at 9600, froze today when I started it up.....so I'm trying 4600 now....lets see if that works
post #11 of 89 Old 09-05-2013, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

OK..I had the BAUD rate at 9600, froze today when I started it up.....so I'm trying 4600 now....lets see if that works

When you changed the baud rate in the Casablanca, did you also match that newly set rate in the RS-232 device that is controlling the Casablanca?

For instance, I'm using iRule to control my Casablanca too, my Blanca's baud rate is set to 115.2, I don't know what you're using for control but I have a Portserver TS-16 which is also set to 115.2 to control the Casablanca otherwise they don't communicate well.
If I had a problem and wanted to try to slow everything down, I would need to change the baud rate setting in both places. And, after that setting change I'd have to reboot the Portserver!

Also, depending upon what you have iRule doing for you and your Casablanca, the proper "echo status" in your Casablanca needs to be set, mine is set to 2 and returns all kinds of feedback from the CB-III HD to iRules display.
3-4 is generally too high for everyday use.
That pretty much leaves you to set the echo status to OFF or 1 if you have no feedbacks.

TURN IT UP!
post #12 of 89 Old 09-05-2013, 02:23 AM
Advanced Member

Also, my CB-III HD is currently connected to a PS Audio PPP, but since you still have problems, do as Craig suggests and plug it directly into the wall until you at least work out these problems

TURN IT UP!
post #13 of 89 Old 09-05-2013, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm also getting some 'pop's in the surrounds....when the imput changes...only when that happens. Is that a ground issue?

As far as the popping noise, I call them ticks, but it has been a known issue and only in the left surround.

I'm still using some very old software and I'm not certain if that issue was addressed in the last update or not.

Maybe someone with the current software will chime in while you look to see what version you're running.

Hopefully it is gone with the next update for everyone. It should be due out shortly.and this time I am updating my software too!

TURN IT UP!
post #14 of 89 Old 09-05-2013, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The ticks in the left surround channel is still there but it is decreased in volume. Having the CB hang when switching sources is also a somewhat common issue (at least it is for me). I'm pretty sure it has to do with the HDMI handshake getting hung up and it is much more prevalent in older source devices. I had more problems with my Oppo BDP-83 then with my -103 and my 4-5 year old Motorola FIOS STB can also be problematic. I'd guess that maybe once a month I have to do a power cycle on the CB to clear up a switching problem. I also think that the device that you have connected to the CB HDMI output can have an effect in hanging up the switching so if you have more than one displays you might want to see if one is more problematic than the other.

I'm also using the rs-232 control with iRule and you also need to pay attention to the first page of the CB rs-232 addendum where it specifies that you wait 10 seconds after powering up the CB before you send any switching commands; I wait that much time before I send any commands. Switching too quickly can hang the CB.

The suggestions to simplify your configuration to just one source device and using the IR remote for control and then adding additional sources one at a time is a good troubleshooting approach.

Good Luck, once you get it figured out you will see how worth-it your efforts are.
post #15 of 89 Old 09-05-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply's....First...I'm using an iTach RS232 controller with iRule.. I didn't know I had another choice...it's what iRule recommended me to get! I do match the rate with the Casa and iRule. I did use the highest rate...at first..but when it started to freeze, I lower the rate. It's at 4800 now. I think I have Echo status set to 1. I DO use feedback...so I guess I need to move that to level 2. It has been working so far..the feedback anyway...I just use the volume, and surround status for feedback.

I just read the post about waiting 4 seconds after power up, before sending another command to the CB. That I'm not doing...so I will fix that now..and maybe that will help the freeze issue?

The handshake issue with HDMI, only happens with the media player...not DirecTV, which is HDMI as well. But, when this same player, which I've had 2 years..was connected to my old Marantz pre/pro...I never had a problem.

The pops in the surrounds....I hope will be addressed soon with an update.
post #16 of 89 Old 09-06-2013, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I just read the post about waiting 4 seconds after power up, before sending another command to the CB. That I'm not doing...so I will fix that now..and maybe that will help the freeze issue?

I just checked and I was wrong about the 4 second wait; Theta actually specifies a 10 second wait before the first input selection command.

http://thetadigital.com/downloads/Theta%20Digital%20Casablanca%20III%20HD%20RS-232%20protocol.pdf

Hope this helps.
post #17 of 89 Old 09-07-2013, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I slowed down the BAUD rate...and plugged it into the wall directly. It seems to be working so far. I'm a little nervous about no surge protection of any kinda...since I do get power outages from time to time. If anyone uses a power conditioner of any sort....let me know. I was using the Transparent Audio Powerwave, which is grounded.

I use a Torus unit, excellent products that don't restrict dynamics and provide many benefits:

http://www.toruspower.com/

Good luck with your unit.
post #18 of 89 Old 09-07-2013, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Which of those Torus Power conditioners do you use? What about the voltage regulators?
post #19 of 89 Old 09-08-2013, 03:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
We use a PS Audio P-5 Power Plant on all our front end components, including the CB HD. Never had any problems. The Transparent unit you have should be excellent, and I would suggest you use it. How would you feel if your unit got fried, and you had it plugged into the wall with your Transparent sitting idle? Not good I'll bet. Who would you blame? Regards, Norm
post #20 of 89 Old 09-08-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

I'll plug it back into the Tranparent and see what happens. Another question...I know the glowing red light is the HDMI board...even when it is off, it glows. But the top also gets warm. When it's off! Is that normal? Should I have a fan ? The unit is in a cabinet open in front and back....
post #21 of 89 Old 09-08-2013, 03:20 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

I'll plug it back into the Tranparent and see what happens. Another question...I know the glowing red light is the HDMI board...even when it is off, it glows. But the top also gets warm. When it's off! Is that normal? Should I have a fan ? The unit is in a cabinet open in front and back....

Joe The red light is the HDMI boards status and its normal..

As far as heat goes , the HD machine runs much cooler than the original Cb3 and as long as you have 5-6" on top open and ventilation front and back you should be fine.

Did you run without RS232 for the few days and did you discover the Hanging went away ?

There are many dozens of people using RS232 with no issues but they worked hard to get the timing correct and not overload the strings of RS232 into the CB3hd.. It likes a nice pace with pauses between commands and I assure you it can run flawlessly.

As far as the ticking out of the rear surrounds. Its only on specific input changes and really isnt a big deal for most people. Its never during an event only during switching. It is gone in the next version of upgrades that will be coming out with the PR3 and Dirac card.

Craig
post #22 of 89 Old 09-08-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

So far the RS232 issue with the Casa freezing is better...once I slowed down the imput changes after initial power on. It's still early to tell...but it's working so far. And I do want in on that DIRAC card when it's available.
post #23 of 89 Old 09-09-2013, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Which of those Torus Power conditioners do you use? What about the voltage regulators?

AVR2 20 RK. Really excellent, does not restrict dynamics

post #24 of 89 Old 09-12-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know if it's OK to turn the unit off on the back...say, overnight...every day. Won't damage anything to turn if off and on from that back every day is what I'm asking?
post #25 of 89 Old 09-12-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Its ok if you wanna do that. But Theta gear sounds best when left in standby and then turned on via remote or front on button.
I only turn my theta gear off (instead of standby) if I am going to be gone for a few days.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #26 of 89 Old 09-14-2013, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Speaking of turning on/off via front panel switch. I've just started have problems with my CBIII HD (which is pretty amazing, I have one of the earliest production runs), circa 78 or 79. I need to look at the receipt.

Anyways, when I turn the CBII on from the front panel, my Dreadnaught also turns on however when I turn the CBIII off, the Dreadnaught still stays on.

Any one want to offer some suggestions? Before I write to John?

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
post #27 of 89 Old 09-14-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

I'm leaving town for a few weeks...first time since I got the Casablanca....when I turn the unit off on the back...no power at all....will my presets remain, all the settings...or will I have to re-program all of that again since it won't have power for a few weeks? Joe
post #28 of 89 Old 09-14-2013, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Somehow today....I was changing the mode for a source...and applied it to all. Now, when I watch a movie, it will give me Dolby Digital + Stereo. Not just Dolby Digital. I tried to go back in and fix it, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm still getting 'stereo' with whatever decoding format being used in movies. Help
post #29 of 89 Old 09-15-2013, 02:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Somehow today....I was changing the mode for a source...and applied it to all. Now, when I watch a movie, it will give me Dolby Digital + Stereo. Not just Dolby Digital. I tried to go back in and fix it, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm still getting 'stereo' with whatever decoding format being used in movies. Help

Is it Dolby Digital plus Stereo or Dolby Digital and Stereo Front & Rear (ST/FR)?

If ST/FR, which sounds more likely since you say "whatever decoding format being used"
Press Set-up, then button #1 "input" (INP), then A/D Button to get to next screen/menu, then button #4 "Post Processing" (Post Proc) and either select a different option or turn it off with Button #1 and back out of "Set-up" by pressing it until you hit the main screen.

TURN IT UP!
post #30 of 89 Old 09-15-2013, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm leaving town for a few weeks...first time since I got the Casablanca....when I turn the unit off on the back...no power at all....will my presets remain, all the settings...or will I have to re-program all of that again since it won't have power for a few weeks? Joe

Your settings will all be fine when you come back in a few weeks after turning the power off in the rear. It should stay exactly as you left everything indefinitely.

There is no bug I know about that would cause you to lose all setting.

thebland is trying to get a rise out of Steve B. with his mistruths & half lies and tends to confuse people who don't know any better.
I would take anything he has to say about Theta with a grain of salt or less biggrin.gif

As far as his 3-d statement, the manual specifically says.

Video Section
HDMI Input/Output card
HDMI Input
4 HDMI 1.4a compatible inputs.
HDMI Output
1 output.
Full video bypass compatible with all current 3D video formats. Audio is extracted from the HDMI signal for processing by the Audio DSP board.

TURN IT UP!
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page