QSC DSP question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-09-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a home remodeling / addition project starting in a couple of months, including a new theater space.

I am trying to set up my equipment budget, and I'm left with a couple of questions.

With my setup, I"m planning to have a side surround speaker associated with each of the 2 rows of seating. The 2 left (and 2 right) surround speakers will receive the same signal, but with a separate amp channel. This leaves me with 7 speakers and 2 subs. I was planning to use the QSC dsp-30 system. With 2 channels per box, I'm wondering how many boxes I'll need? Will I need 5 boxes to cover the 9 speakers, or will I be able to get away with a single channel for the 2 left and another channel for the 2 right surround speakers?(4 boxes)

Thanks for any help!!

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-09-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Kevin,

Yes, you'd need that many boxes. I use all 5 boxes to cover my 7.2 system (9 speaker system).

I'm moving form the models you are looking at. I have 4 QSC DSP-4s (which have more memory than the DSP-30 and I have 1 DSP-30.

Each is 2 channel, so you would have 10 channels of EQ.

I'm getting ready to sell as I'm upgrading. PM me if interested.

Jeff

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #3 of 11 Old 09-09-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Jeff.

I'm not ready to purchase just yet, as I haven't made any final decisions. I may be in a few months, if they're still available. Need to start building up funds again. Much depleted from my pending Porsche Euro Delivery Trip (Next week!!!)

Can I ask what you're upgrading to? I'm trying to keep an open mind about all the equipment, at this point.

Thanks.
Kevin
post #4 of 11 Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Snyder View Post

Thanks for the reply, Jeff.

I'm not ready to purchase just yet, as I haven't made any final decisions. I may be in a few months, if they're still available. Need to start building up funds again. Much depleted from my pending Porsche Euro Delivery Trip (Next week!!!)

Can I ask what you're upgrading to? I'm trying to keep an open mind about all the equipment, at this point.

Thanks.
Kevin

I'm a Porsche guy... have one, too (but did not take a Euro delivery)! Congrats! What are you getting?

BTW - I'm 2-3 months out from selling.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #5 of 11 Old 09-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

I have a home remodeling / addition project starting in a couple of months, including a new theater space.

I am trying to set up my equipment budget, and I'm left with a couple of questions.

With my setup, I"m planning to have a side surround speaker associated with each of the 2 rows of seating. The 2 left (and 2 right) surround speakers will receive the same signal, but with a separate amp channel. This leaves me with 7 speakers and 2 subs. I was planning to use the QSC dsp-30 system. With 2 channels per box, I'm wondering how many boxes I'll need? Will I need 5 boxes to cover the 9 speakers, or will I be able to get away with a single channel for the 2 left and another channel for the 2 right surround speakers?(4 boxes)

Thanks for any help!!

Kevin

Really you only need DSP for the surround speakers. A two input, four output model would be sufficient. Two inputs would go into the DSP box and you would have four outputs.

The DSP box needs to have phase shift capability to decorrelate the two surround speakers. Most DSP boxes do not have the required phase shift capability.

Plus you will need someone who knows what they are doing to set it up. Basically you need to set up the DSP and then measure the surround speaker response at each row to see if the setup is working properly.

I would recommend the Xilica XP-2040. 2 in, 4 out, single rack mount chassis.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-09-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Jeff,

911S GT Silver. Black leather interior w/ pebble grey deviated stitching. Manual. PASM sport, Sport Chrono, Sport exhaust, several other goodies. Just can't wait!

Thanks, Nyal. I am certainly not the professional that I will count on to set this up!! Do you travel? Might be looking you up in several months!!

Kevin
post #7 of 11 Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Jeff,

911S GT Silver. Black leather interior w/ pebble grey deviated stitching. Manual. PASM sport, Sport Chrono, Sport exhaust, several other goodies. Just can't wait!

Thanks, Nyal. I am certainly not the professional that I will count on to set this up!! Do you travel? Might be looking you up in several months!!

Kevin

Beautiful!! Great cars. I love mine.

Look into integrated radar detectors!biggrin.gif I have the Passport radar / laser jammer built in. Slick.

post #8 of 11 Old 09-10-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You might want to check out the QSC DCP's, depending on how many channels you end up with. Over here they are significantly cheaper then buying the individual DSP units (I've got a DSP4 and 2x the DSP30's). They're a good product, but the serial interface thing is a pain. I suspect newer options like Xilica are USB and have newer software which you may prefer (as an aside Xilica, in Australia at any rate is a 1/3 of the price of some of the QSC's)

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #9 of 11 Old 09-10-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The Xilicas that I have (XP4080) are IP controlled using a neat little Xilica app.

Cheers,
post #10 of 11 Old 09-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Yes the Xilica XPs and XDs are IP or USB controllable.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-26-2013, 06:16 PM

Liked: 10
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page