Can a top quality Blu Ray player with built-in network streamer mean I don't need 2 pieces of equipment? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-27-2013, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
BP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When the new Oppo was released I noted the built-in network streaming feature. Time has come to buy and I am looking at the Oppo 105, Marantz UD7007, McIntosh MVP891.
If I buy one of these players which all include the ability to stream music from a NAS drive do I need to buy a digital player such as the Bryston BDP-2? I must say the interface on the Marantz/McIntosh is basic but tolerable. Something graphic on an iPad would be preferred. But this seems to be a good option to move into network streaming of my CD collection and purchased high bit rate music.
If I like the sound of the player on disks wouldn't the streamed music also be good?
Please tell me if I am missing something here!
Thanks!
BP

BP

Open mind, open ears. There are no absolutes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-27-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post

When the new Oppo was released I noted the built-in network streaming feature. Time has come to buy and I am looking at the Oppo 105, Marantz UD7007, McIntosh MVP891.
If I buy one of these players which all include the ability to stream music from a NAS drive do I need to buy a digital player such as the Bryston BDP-2? I must say the interface on the Marantz/McIntosh is basic but tolerable. Something graphic on an iPad would be preferred. But this seems to be a good option to move into network streaming of my CD collection and purchased high bit rate music.
If I like the sound of the player on disks wouldn't the streamed music also be good?
Please tell me if I am missing something here!
Thanks!
BP

If you get the Oppo 103/105, you can use it up as as a DLNA renderer and stream audio using Jriver. This givers you access to all the bells and whisles of Jriver, the gold standard in music servers, including JRemote. The only Oppo 103 based player that will give you the same streaming function / features, but better audio is the MSB UMT plus, but this will set you back $7K. The MSB has only digital outputs. Depending on what configuration you have in mind, you can also get a 103 with the new Vanity103 lite digital output board. This is also a digital transport only. If you want to consolidate boxes, get the 105. There is a thread on Computer audiophile discussing the 105 as a streamer.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-27-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
BP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks, Edorr. Great reading.

BP

Open mind, open ears. There are no absolutes!
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page