post #91 of 119 Old 12-09-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Just a joke really. Whenever I see the word acquisition I think of buying products for dirt cheap from desparate people and selling them at a profit. Some people buy and sell entire companies even in that way. But I have no idea what you actually do.

Ah! I get it now! Private sector acquisition and public sector acquisition have two very distinct "flavors." in public sector, tangible acquisitions are one piece of the puzzle, but it includes heavy contract-based work, as well as 8 million other facets. So if I'm modernizing, say, AVS' load balancing system (simple example), I'll need to get F5 into the picture, I'll need to jump through eight hoops to get the funding, and will draft a schedule that plugs into a program IMS, and so and and so forth (ZZZzzzZZZzzz)...but the crux of this effort will be contracting a firm to manage the installation and testing of the load balancers.

Now...if this were private sector, I could allocate the funds for the F5 installation, but get my buddies Dave and Alex from college to come on a weekend (they become "D&A Systems" for the weekend) and install the load balancers for $2000, and then brag to the CEO of how I just saved the company $X0,000 dollars by leveraging my professional network. Lol.....I started in the private sector; it can be a different world.

The Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The System:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 119 Old 12-09-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Sounds like pretty interesting stuff.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #93 of 119 Old 12-10-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Sounds like pretty interesting stuff.

Thats a polite way of saying he still has no idea what you do for a living smile.gif

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

post #94 of 119 Old 12-10-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Alright ,I will be serious,
My wife and I own a private hospital, several nursing homes ,a medical supplies business and another business that leases medical equipment. I guess you could say I am in the health care industry.

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

post #95 of 119 Old 12-10-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 829
I dig for gold (black gold) in the oilfield, HT is my new addiction and I just want more! biggrin.gif

80 in Sharp Aquos Quattron led 3d tv
Denon AVR-4520CI receiver DBT-3313UDCI blu ray player
Klipsch RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-62 II
Dual PSA Triaxes!
Xbox one, xbox 360 My Videos! >
Christmas Surprise!

Triax!

post #96 of 119 Old 12-10-2013, 11:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quality control manager and trainer at a brothel outside of Reno, NV.

Or, I am an international walnut salesman who travels the world selling my nuts.

Or, I start green energy companies with no business plan and sell shares after I get government grants but before people realize that I cannot make cheap sustainable power from bunny rabbits and marshmallows.

One of the above statements is true... Maybe.

post #97 of 119 Old 12-11-2013, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Single, no kids. biggrin.gif
Blackmambakila likes this.
post #98 of 119 Old 12-11-2013, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Music producer and radio station tech support coordinator.
post #99 of 119 Old 12-11-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

Lol i forgot about that part, me too biggrin.gif

80 in Sharp Aquos Quattron led 3d tv
Denon AVR-4520CI receiver DBT-3313UDCI blu ray player
Klipsch RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-62 II
Dual PSA Triaxes!
Xbox one, xbox 360 My Videos! >
Christmas Surprise!

Triax!

post #100 of 119 Old 12-11-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmambakila View Post

Lol i forgot about that part, me too biggrin.gif

Like my mom always told us kids... "Without you kids, I'd have money stacked to the ceiling"!!! So true.

That said, couldn't imagine life without my three daughters but with the cash going out for 2 college educations and a third child in private school... The extra $100K per year would be nice!smile.gif

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #101 of 119 Old 12-11-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 22
An anonymous donor gives me $1.00 per word that I post here on AVS. I use this for my AV gear!!@@@tongue.gif

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

post #102 of 119 Old 12-13-2013, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

First, the things that и have i menage to set a goal to have them, then save coins and finally buy them. The music deserves it. I - more.

Rega RP3+Elys2•YAMAHA BD-A1020•YAMAHA RX-A3030•WD My Cloud 4TB•KEF R300+R200c+KHT 3000+MJ Acoustics Reference I MkIII•Kimber Kable•Astell&Kern AK120Ⅱ•AKG K-551•SONY TV 50EX721
post #103 of 119 Old 12-15-2013, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
Always interesting to see this type of thread. Allocation of funding is always a personal choice of reward vs. expense. If I had my way, I'd live check to check and have every toy I wanted but the cfo/cmo/coo aka Wife is much more responsible than me. Our new neighbors keep asking why we have such a big over capable truck for me to "drive to and from work" but they don't realize we have a 42' long 100k 5th wheel sitting in storage for when I travel for work, nor do they know that we paid cash for said trailer in 6 months of working, on my income alone. The direction of our hobbies and interests is what ultimately dictates the monetary value we set forth for them. And the old adage, "Never judge a book by its cover" is more prevalent today than ever. Between the oil industry boom and dot com entrepreneurs, the 20y/o kid next to you in coach on the Southwest flight could be a multi-millionaire and look nothing of the "part"
post #104 of 119 Old 12-15-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I get my money by blackmailing the members of this thread who engage in illegal activities.

Since you have joined this group expect a PM soon.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  
post #105 of 119 Old 12-18-2013, 08:37 AM

Liked: 11
I put on my crappiest clothes, stand by busy intersections with a sign, "I'm not really homeless but would like to buy decent hifi"

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
post #106 of 119 Old 12-18-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I use to have a great career in land surveying until I shattered both my ankles and my back and had organ trauma in a very severe motorcycle accident. I was in a wheelchair for 3 years and I'm able to walk short distances now. Plagued with chronic pain now but I'm happy to be able to walk and drive. I make less than $12,000 a year and drive a pos Ford truck. Luckily my wife is a graphics designer. Without her I couldn't afford to go to the movies let alone have a home cinema and a hobby like home theater and audio. I literally put every extra cent I can towards it. I just come to this side of the forum to dream

JBL Pro Cinema
post #107 of 119 Old 12-27-2013, 06:25 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post

Quality control manager and trainer at a brothel outside of Reno, NV.

Or, I am an international walnut salesman who travels the world selling my nuts.

Or, I start green energy companies with no business plan and sell shares after I get government grants but before people realize that I cannot make cheap sustainable power from bunny rabbits and marshmallows.

One of the above statements is true... Maybe.

Since you live in Clovis, I'm going with nuts.
post #108 of 119 Old 12-27-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yeah, he's certainly nuts.

biggrin.gif

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH

post #109 of 119 Old 04-15-2014, 07:06 PM

I obtain my stuff with a little bit of American know how & being clever. I go to various local hifi society meeting, I talk/listen to everyone there, figure out who has the gear I like, then go steal it from their house. I am socially conscious though, I only steal stuff from rich guys houses. The most amazing thing is they view as a chance to upgrade their system at the insurance companies cost. Boy. I sure love the wealthy.

post #110 of 119 Old 04-16-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I don't own a pile of high end stuff (well, unless you count about 20 9" CRT projectors!), but have in the past. I buy and sell it, and more importantly, repair it. I buy broken vintage audio, fix it, and flip it on ebay.
Frankly, my interest in most of the gear I've run through is more about restoring it than it actually is owning it. I don't currently have a personal HT setup or a good 2 channel stereo listening system. No time to set it up, let alone listen to it. I do however have the start of a very nice vintage system, a Pioneer SX-1250 and a pair of EV Interface D speakers, both from the 1970s.

- CRT tech info

-pro audio website
post #111 of 119 Old 04-16-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
I'm in debt up to my eyeballs. I can hardly afford my interest payments. Kidding, but I loved this commercial where a guy on his riding lawnmower said something of the sort while talking about all the stuff he had. As for me, I am in real estate and it has taken me 20 years to get from my first system to my current system and my very last system (yeah right) is being planned now.
post #112 of 119 Old 04-16-2014, 11:14 PM

Liked: 16

I have a "slush" fund from two sources:

(1) An anonmymous donor who loves theta Digital gives me $100 every time The Bland rips Theta for each of my responses.:eek:

(2) I give blood twice daily for funds for theater upgrades. I drink a lot of water and eat a lot of carrots to stimulate red blood cell production. Good thing I use the money for theater upgrades - I am too weak to do much but watch movies and listen to music in my dedicated theater!:eek:

post #113 of 119 Old 04-17-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruzonsky View Post

(1) An anonmymous donor who loves theta Digital gives me $100 every time The Bland rips Theta for each of my responses.eek.gif

(2) I give blood twice daily for funds for theater upgrades. I drink a lot of water and eat a lot of carrots to stimulate red blood cell production. Good thing I use the money for theater upgrades - I am too weak to do much but watch movies and listen to music in my dedicated theater!eek.gif
I get $200 for each time I rip Theta!! A lot of ammo there!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #114 of 119 Old 04-17-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Wow.. how do I get on that bandwagon? smile.gif

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #115 of 119 Old 04-17-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 31

I don't care what they spend (do for a living) because every time I add something new the my home theater (such as it is and it is not much), I show my wife the completed theater thread and point out what others have spent.  So thanks guys for posting pictures of your home theaters on this site.  It lets me justify my humble purchases while dreaming of what could be.

For example, I rode with a guy from work yesterday in his Tesla ($100,000) electric car.  He lets everyone who asks (really???) drive his car which he claimed had a 0 to 60 time of 2.9 seconds, and it felt like it.  It was only the second time I had ever talked to him and I introduced him (still don't know his name) to two other co-workers yesterday, who both drove the car.  No way did I consider driving the car since I would never spend that kind of money on a "car". (Wow..the car was nice and I could see my over 50 self racing kids at red lights...and having young girls/under 50/ check me out in as I cruised the streets...and having someone car jack/rob me at a red light for the car/money...Oops...good thing I did not drive it.)  Both of the guys who drove it asked me "how does he afford it?"  How would I know?  (Does he own the car or does the car own him?)

The owner of the car is older and probably on his second career.  I assume he and his wife have no kids, and the car is his "baby" so who cares how he affords it as long as he is not doing anything illegal.   When I get ready for a new car, I will bring up this guy to my wife to show her how much money I am saving the family with the car I want.

I used to get crap about my home at work.  I bought an "okay" house and paid it off, so no house payments for years, but I was the exception and not the rule among my peers who could not understand how I could live in "cheap house".   Boy do I wish I still had that paid for home, but when I moved, I had to pay much more for a good school area in a new state/town, and get this, I still get crap from a younger co-worker who lives a half mile away from me in a gated community because I live in a cookie cutter neighborhood on pond for under x amount of dollars and he lives in a z amount home with access to a lake.   He is joking...but is he really joking when he calls my neighborhood the "hood".  (We really are friends and I even set up his media room which is much cheaper than mine... I win.)

So for now, I will own my home theater and not let my home theater own me.

post #116 of 119 Old 04-17-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Copycat!!!

Jeff's wife is very successful and she gives Jeff a $1,000 per week allowance of "petty" stuff like home theater stuff. But Jeff has to earn it. So he gets $200 each time he rips Theta, up to $1,000 per week total! No wonder!

post #117 of 119 Old 04-18-2014, 10:28 PM

I also sell my blood. Due to a dog bite, I've had rabies shots too. I get extra money for that.

post #118 of 119 Old 04-19-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
No women, no kids, that's the rules. That....and buy B-stock or used, never MSRP.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My
and

post #119 of 119 Old 04-19-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

An anonymous donor gives me $1.00 per word that I post here on AVS. I use this for my AV gear!!@@@tongue.gif

A very good rate these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruzonsky View Post

(2) I give blood twice daily for funds for theater upgrades. I drink a lot of water and eat a lot of carrots to stimulate red blood cell production.

What it isn't because of your unhealthy high T level, that requires this daily leeching to keep the Hematocrit down, and your heart beating...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

Always interesting to see this type of thread. Allocation of funding is always a personal choice of reward vs. expense. If I had my way, I'd live check to check and have every toy I wanted but the cfo/cmo/coo aka Wife is much more responsible than me. Our new neighbors keep asking why we have such a big over capable truck for me to "drive to and from work" but they don't realize we have a 42' long 100k 5th wheel sitting in storage for when I travel for work, nor do they know that we paid cash for said trailer in 6 months of working, on my income alone. The direction of our hobbies and interests is what ultimately dictates the monetary value we set forth for them. And the old adage, "Never judge a book by its cover" is more prevalent today than ever. Between the oil industry boom and dot com entrepreneurs, the 20y/o kid next to you in coach on the Southwest flight could be a multi-millionaire and look nothing of the "part"

Everyone has been dumping those big ass trailers when US gasprices reached half of what we pay. With longer US commutes I am sure it would still be cheaper to reserve the Bad Ass truck for its towing duties and get a nice Toyota, Honda, VW or similar for your commute. If you can bill some-one else for those trailertowing miles, that makes all the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

I use to have a great career in land surveying until I shattered both my ankles and my back and had organ trauma in a very severe motorcycle accident. I was in a wheelchair for 3 years and I'm able to walk short distances now. Plagued with chronic pain now but I'm happy to be able to walk and drive. I make less than $12,000 a year and drive a pos Ford truck. Luckily my wife is a graphics designer. Without her I couldn't afford to go to the movies let alone have a home cinema and a hobby like home theater and audio. I literally put every extra cent I can towards it. I just come to this side of the forum to dream

Fortunately it doesn't keep you up all of the time, like that insomniac in the budget section that has become the expert on all of those mini LED projectors, as he needs low power bill units able to run upto 16 hour a day. Fortunately my uric acid levels are now okay, but all of those years of serious gout, with regular longer periods of not being able to stand let alone walk, have left some damage, so I still experience some chronic pain.

'How does he afford this' is a very legitimit question. As it expresses wonder if this avenue is open to me.Am I gonna be an orthodontist, no..., am I gonna be a lawyer no, so what opportunities are left?!
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page