Request compared to Kaleidescape - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering how this compares to Kaleidescape ? Appears that it does not require BD to be in device as The Kaleidescape system does and may be much less expensive.

http://request.com/products/mpplus.asp

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Kaleidescape now has the option to purchase blue-ray quality movies without having the disc in the system. They also have the option to convert the movies you do have on disc to the disc-less version for $1.99 (includes an ultraviolet copy as well). This feature is not available on ALL movies yet, but more and more every day (they just signed lionsgate which will add 2000+ new titles).

I would not trade my Kaleidescape in for anything, its one of the best investments i made in my home theater.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I heard that there was a booth at CEDIA for the Request system. I'd be interested to hear if anyone can make comparisons also.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

Old 10-10-2013, 04:55 PM
PF
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueeMarc View Post

I was wondering how this compares to Kaleidescape ? Appears that it does not require BD to be in device as The Kaleidescape system does and may be much less expensive.

http://request.com/products/mpplus.asp

Marc

Kaleidescape offers the Cinema One with Vault now for just $7995 with a capacity for 100 BRs, 600 DVDs, 6000 CDs, or some combination of the three. That does not include installation or programming and the margin on the Cinema One package is thin to keep to the under $8K price point, so expect to pay full price and for installation (and programming if you have an automation system).

As for the decision, trust me, get the Kscape.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF View Post

Kaleidescape offers the Cinema One with Vault now for just $7995 with a capacity for 100 BRs, 600 DVDs, 6000 CDs, or some combination of the three. That does not include installation or programming and the margin on the Cinema One package is thin to keep to the under $8K price point, so expect to pay full price and for installation (and programming if you have an automation system).

As for the decision, trust me, get the Kscape.

Agree that the Kaleidescape is absolutely the premier solution for archiving of movies, the Request appears to be just another PC solution like Vidabox and so many other PC shops that tried to build this (and many have gone under). If it is proprietary, I'm surprised that Request hasn't been sued yet. It might have some features over the Kaleidescape, such as 3D movies and PCM output.

Although Kaleidescape is far and away the leader in this area, I'm a bit skeptical about the purpose of the Cinema One, especially with the Vault. If one doesn't care about Blu-Ray quality, then you can store a reasonable amount of DVD's on a Cinema One (up to a max of 1,200 with two). But if you do care about Blu-Ray quality at all, then either pony up for the full solution or just load the discs yourself in an Oppo (as in the example above, the cost for having access to each of 100 Blu-Rays is $80 a disc, not including the cost of the disc).
Old 10-10-2013, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Cinema one is the first in a LINE of products titled cinema series. Expect to see more storage capacity options. My personal guess is that Cinema One as a product line will barely cross into premier system pricing when it is maxed out....and not have the same features (RAID, redundancy, hot-swap, etc).

Purely my speculation, but that's what I would do if I were kscape (and they do listen to dealers' input).

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv