NEC announces 2K~DLP Laser projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 10-23-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 105
NEC NC1100L Projector, World’s First Digital Cinema-Compliant Projector with Laser Light Source Built-in.

The NC1100L projector features 2K (2048 x 1080) resolutions, 3D capabilities and 3-chip DMD reflection method.
It is easy to operate with user-friendly accessibility.

Projector maker NEC plans to demonstrate a new laser-light source projector aggressively priced at $38,000 and targeted to exhibitors with small screens up to 36 ft.

Scheduled to become available in March, the new NC1100L 2K projector is being developed to offer brightness of 14-ft-L (using a 1.8 gain screen) with 10,000 lumens of light on screens up to 36ft./11m in DCI color -- a low enough number that the projector won't require FDA approval.

The projector can be seen at ShowEast, which starts Monday October 28 at the Westin Diplomat & Spa in Hollywood, Fla.

It will also be used in Laser manufacture Laser Light Engines, Inc. (LLE) Laser Projection Demonstrations event November 11-14 at Technicolor in Burbank, CA (invitation only event) Press Release (pdf)

More:
http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/pr.aspx?newsID=3423
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/showeast-laser-projectors-take-center-649314
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-23-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Nice price !

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #3 of 22 Old 10-23-2013, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't forget to throw in a $6500 lens .............
post #4 of 22 Old 10-23-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Didn't know NEC was still in the pj business.

Out of bounds for this forum, but if they would just cut resolution by 1/2, number of DMD's by 2/3, light output by 3/4, and price by 4/5

Noah
post #5 of 22 Old 10-24-2013, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It still seems to have the same 1:1600 contrast ratio: http://www.necdisplay.com/documents/PressReleases/NC1100L_PressRelease.pdf
post #6 of 22 Old 10-24-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ah, then not interesting anyway.

Noah
post #7 of 22 Old 10-24-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Ahh but what lovely colors and what perfect execution, this may be the projector that helps trivialize the importance of that general requirement parameter because there is a lot to that image that says simply must buy.

post #8 of 22 Old 10-24-2013, 11:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

With Laser contrast numbers are continuing to mean nothing than ever before. When you compare the image of this simply "measly" contrast unit, to the sony's 9,000 to 1 , and the sony is a mighty fine projector, LASER is just so much more. I fully embrace laser and officially leave xenon way in the back mirror. There are ways to reduce the light and enhance the contrast a bit.just not the traditional way due to the lack of scatter light..
post #9 of 22 Old 10-25-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So is this NEC projector a "White Light Laser Projector" (RGB lasers mixed to white and split again the usual way) or is it a true RGB Laser projector with separate Red, Green, and Blue lasers fed directly to each DMD?
post #10 of 22 Old 10-25-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I was too busy by their top Engineer for selling class b commercial products in the home:D to get a proper explanation.biggrin.gif:D:D:D:D

They said something as "hybrid/mixed" laser but it appears to be that latter method you suggest.

I was expecting to hear 2 laser primaries and one led , when i read this hybrid. Maybe that is the white light they are referring to with the "mixed" term.

Let me ask my channels.
post #11 of 22 Old 10-25-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

With Laser contrast numbers are continuing to mean nothing than ever before.

True perhaps in bright or mixed scenes, but in dark scenes, forget it.
Quote:

I was expecting to hear 2 laser primaries and one led , when i read this hybrid...

That fits the definition of hybrid, as might laser with phosphors for one of the colors.

Noah
post #12 of 22 Old 10-25-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes Noah, but when the first small chip cinema dlps SDK came out last year it was a competent picture, but not a pickup the jaw from the floor OH MY GOD one. The low contrast was at fault.

Last Wednesday they showed 2D scenes from RIO 2 (where some viewers appeared to be experiencing CHROMAORGASMs) (TM), but the images from the 2014 releases of the Hobbit were dark and cavernous, somehow those low apl scenes did not INSULT THE SENSES as much as one does with every other SDK (all three brands) They are all equally as unimpressive either xenon or uhp.

I have never ever said anything positive about them SDK images, the Barco perhaps being an ok picture for an outdoor cinema.

This experience I had was transcendental, WHY? Could it be because of my multiple CO's? Perhaps.biggrin.gif

This projector image is a paradigm shift where you may find yourself (meaning even you Noah and Art) comfortably bias lighting (tongue in cheek) because the sum of what you are seeing seems like a miracle. Oranges which is a very difficult color like you have never seen. And the lack of scatter-light in the light-path makes the reduced contrast appear less egregious. It's ansi contrast must be above average too.

Like I said the sony has 8-9,000 but it could never elicit the emotional reaction that PHASER ONE (TM) conjures up.biggrin.gif:DMy new term of endearment for this PJ.
post #13 of 22 Old 10-28-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

Scheduled to become available in March, the new NC1100L 2K projector is being developed to offer brightness of 14-ft-L (using a 1.8 gain screen) with 10,000 lumens of light on screens up to 36ft./11m in DCI color -- a low enough number that the projector won't require FDA approval.

Is it the lumens or ftL that determine the need for FDA approval? Does no approval mean it won't blind me, or just that it won't vaporize my dog?

post #14 of 22 Old 11-01-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I assume lumens, but the wider spread for commercial sized screens would decrease the intensity if someone walked in front of it. And joking aside, laser projectors seem to be the next big thing, but is there any hope that we'll be able to run them in our homes? Or will safety concerns / regulations keep them strictly commercial?

post #15 of 22 Old 11-04-2013, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

you are right,That fits the definition of hybrid, as might laser with phosphors for one of the colors.thank you

32.gif

post #16 of 22 Old 11-04-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

Is it the lumens or ftL that determine the need for FDA approval? Does no approval mean it won't blind me, or just that it won't vaporize my dog?
At the moment it is only because of outdated FDA rules about laser used in display equipment where the original laser produces more than 5000 lumens, and most projectors fall under that rule even if the safety concerns is not directly applicable.

Powerful Lasers are used daily in venues like planetariums and rock concerts where they do the required paperwork.
There would be no problem selling these laser projectors, except it is an enormous burden of paperwork and safety measures that has to be met.
In that way it is not possible in practical terms to sell laser projectors to cinemas, individuals or consumers.

When the rules are revised to more modern times (they are 30 years old and made mostly to cover rock concert laser shows) there should be no reason they can't be sold for consumer HTs.

Read more about the work on revising the Laser rules at Laser Illuminated Projector Association | LIPA
post #17 of 22 Old 11-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So if you have too many CHROMAORGASMs (TM), you go blind?

The FDA should know that's an old wives tale

post #18 of 22 Old 11-04-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

LOL, about the hybrid, the presentation had no Green Speckle... so maybe...
post #19 of 22 Old 03-13-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

With Laser contrast numbers are continuing to mean nothing than ever before. When you compare the image of this simply "measly" contrast unit, to the sony's 9,000 to 1 , and the sony is a mighty fine projector, LASER is just so much more. I fully embrace laser and officially leave xenon way in the back mirror. There are ways to reduce the light and enhance the contrast a bit.just not the traditional way due to the lack of scatter light..

Peter above is indeed a lovely picture, but I did see both the DPI and Panasonic LASER projector at ISE, and the Panasonic (6K lumens) had richer colors and perceived contrast was higher than the DPI. The 12K lumens DPI closely matched Rec. 709, and is specced at 2000:1 on-off contrast and that apeared to be lower than the Panasonic. I found it lacking in the contrast. DPI reps. told me that they could trade some light-output for a bit higher contrast ratio, but no major enhancements like with the old lamps. The DPI is a LASER/Phosphor unit, not sure what Panasonic is doing inside.

So, from what I have seen with current non-RGB LASER light projectors on-off contrast does matter.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 77
A bump from the rumor mill, $13k-$17k for Small screen(AKA Home Theater) coming at end of year 2014. 2K 36ft throw 14fl's. upgrade to 4K mid 2015. Nice.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-06-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
No matter what still would like to see two iris modded (catseye) to get 5000 to 6000:1 sequential contrast. This really is the low end threshold for good contrast. Glaring problem with all of these projectors otherwise. If SIM could do it in the HT 5000 why not here ?

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #22 of 22 Old 07-07-2014, 01:47 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16