Best 3 5 or 7 channel Amplifier to Mate with Datasat RS20I - Page 2 - AVS Forum
1  2
Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) > Best 3 5 or 7 channel Amplifier to Mate with Datasat RS20I
djnickuk's Avatar djnickuk 12:26 PM 12-15-2013
This is one reason why I went with Datasat. With the RS20i being built upon the super stable cinema processor, its rock solid.

I got fed up with constantly having to reset and setup my old processors. Ada were pretty good at crashing.

Not had a single crash or hang up with the Datasat. See their testing / soaking facilities made the purchase even easier. The hell they put their machines thru is pretty intense.

Bassfeen's Avatar Bassfeen 12:52 PM 12-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

That is typical of many esoteric designs. Reliability and engineering for parts tolerances is another layer often omitted in these small shops. If you want bullet proof reliability commercial studio and theater power amps are a wise choice.

Yes you are right, I have learnt my lesson the hard way and had to send back my Class A Claytons Amplifiers back due to reliability issue lost over 3000 grand in the process of getting it repaired shipped and then paying taxes again as customs wont accept the original documentation blah blah usual corruption crap I have to encounter living here.

Touch wood ATI has been bullet proof since the day I got them.
Bassfeen's Avatar Bassfeen 12:59 PM 12-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post

This is one reason why I went with Datasat. With the RS20i being built upon the super stable cinema processor, its rock solid.

I got fed up with constantly having to reset and setup my old processors. Ada were pretty good at crashing.

Not had a single crash or hang up with the Datasat. See their testing / soaking facilities made the purchase even easier. The hell they put their machines thru is pretty intense.


ADA has a nice 40 Grand Processor :-)))

How is the reliability on there Amplifiers?
djnickuk's Avatar djnickuk 01:15 PM 12-15-2013
Hi mate,

I'll reply to your pm shortly. Food arrived just as I was about to pm you.

The Ada amps are super stable. Not had a single issue with them. This is Ada's forte. They have been making amps for years and certainly know their onions.
Glimmie's Avatar Glimmie 03:16 PM 12-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfeen View Post

ADA has a nice 40 Grand Processor :-)))

How is the reliability on there Amplifiers?

Very good and the manufacture keeps parts on hand even for models from the 1980s so you can be assured of longevity. There's an article on the WEB site.
DanFrancis's Avatar DanFrancis 03:27 PM 12-15-2013
I've never had an ADA processor crash in 10+ years.

Not once, and certainly not our 40k processor.

And that's half-computer!
Glimmie's Avatar Glimmie 06:20 PM 12-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFrancis View Post

I've never had an ADA processor crash in 10+ years.

Not once, and certainly not our 40k processor.

And that's half-computer!

Well it probably isn't running under Windows! biggrin.gif
ifor's Avatar ifor 04:43 PM 12-16-2013
Sunfire TGA-7401 amp using the "current source" outputs? They supposedly emulate vacuum tube sound.
Glimmie's Avatar Glimmie 12:16 PM 12-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

Sunfire TGA-7401 amp using the "current source" outputs? They supposedly emulate vacuum tube sound.

Bob Carver, a brilliant engineer, comes up with these odd topologies. That's his niche and he has quite a history of unusual amplifier circuits. Some people like the sound and some don't. Nevertheless the circuits he designs are legitimate and not snake oil. As for their sonics, that's always subjective.

I use a Phase Linear 700 on my subs. It's been updated with more modern parts but it shows his genius way back in 1974.
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 04:00 PM 12-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post


I use a Phase Linear 700 on my subs. It's been updated with more modern parts but it shows his genius way back in 1974.

Boy i tried saving for a phase linear kit with sonic holography back then but could not. Excellent stuff, the carver cube sounded a bit muted for my liking, but i got the 1 unit rack sonic holograhy with kef 105.4s in 1978 and it rocked. He is a genius and his amps do sound different so mileage will vary.
Bassfeen's Avatar Bassfeen 07:51 PM 12-17-2013
Yes I love my Bob Carver 305 Tube Amps.....very sweet sounding, I did modify the caps with Vcaps and some resistors. Its now more transparent then before and still sweet sounding. I don't think il ever sell this. Pushes more then 350 watts per channel with the new KT150 Tubes.
stephenbr's Avatar stephenbr 07:14 PM 02-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfeen View Post

My subs are all Seaton and now being upgraded to HP+ Series as Master and Slave. Subs are all sorted. So are the speakers as Intend to keep the Danley for a very long time. I have heard a few setups although the triads sounded smoother on the top end I eventually still preferred the sound of the Danley.

The only issues I am currently facing is finding a warmer sounding amps for the Danley as they are extremely transparent and depending on amps used the smoothness is either there or its not.

Bassfeen - I see you have your Danley's up for sale - what has enticed you away from them?
shivaji's Avatar shivaji 08:42 AM 02-08-2014
Bassfeen,
on the thread in the speaker forum for the January 18th GTG, Tom Danley wrote a post in answer to some who complained of the speaker you have being bright. He stated that his speakers are designed to be flat, and have no attenuation in the highs as home speakers have. It is not an amp problem, they are designed that way. You might try and find that post and give him a call for other solutions.
trans_lux's Avatar trans_lux 09:58 AM 02-08-2014
My vote is for Lab Gruppen
Have had great results with the FP10000Q
Amazing driver control and endless headroom.
While you can use adapters and run them off a 15 or 20 amp 110 circuit they really come alive on 230v 30 amp.
http://labgruppen.com/media/downloads/product/TDS-FP10000Q_V5.pdf
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 08:18 PM 02-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post

They both have really good points to the amps.

The ab amps have an incredibly low noise floor. Pretty dead silent. But they are perhaps airing on the side of clinical and perhaps slightly cold.

The Ada amps have half the wattage my ab amps had but have far more current available. For a 2 channel 250w into 8 ohm amp these 2502s can draw upto 1500w. Here in the Uk they are impossible to clip as one can not draw enough current from the mains.

I prefer the sound of the Ada amps as they have a richer, warmer sound. But not tube warm. Not coloured. Just richer. These I think will suite your system best.

I guess your in the states?
I

I like ADA I would describe them as Mosfety sounding whilst preserving full body.



One of the pro companies QSC or Crown have added a mosfet last stage to their Class D cinema amps, who knows?
MIkeDuke's Avatar MIkeDuke 06:31 AM 02-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post


If you want a good solid pro power amp look towards Bryston. These are fanless good looking tanks that are found in many recording studios, scoring stages, and dub theaters. Note that in many Bryston models the consumer version is the exact same core amplifier circuitry as the pro units. The difference is a little better styling for the consumer stuff that is not rack mounted and they make also have -10 RCA input options.
I have older model Brytson 4b-ST and 5b-ST models. Non pro models. I have had them for about 12 years and they sound great to me. They have been great amps for my HT\2ch system. I think it would probably cost me a lot more money to do much better. But that's just my opinion.
Glimmie's Avatar Glimmie 02:42 PM 02-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I have older model Brytson 4b-ST and 5b-ST models. Non pro models. I have had them for about 12 years and they sound great to me. They have been great amps for my HT\2ch system. I think it would probably cost me a lot more money to do much better. But that's just my opinion.

I don't think you could do much better either. Brystons are popular in recording and mastering rooms but there are others too. The rage today seems to be class D. Class D has been around since the 1970s but was never considered HiFi. The problem is the output filter design against the speaker impedance which can vary +/- 300%. However class D is very efficient and the obvious choice for cell phones and portable devices and has also become the choice for utility audio devices such as TV's and sound bars. It seems that some high end manufactures, most recently Theta, have exploited the technology for high end amps. They do deserve a listen with this improved class D technology.
djnickuk's Avatar djnickuk 02:47 PM 02-24-2014
Paul Hales uses class d in his pro amps also. I was very impressed with Genesis UK ICE suite with a serious amount of class d ampage.

Having said that, I used to have Bel Canto Ref 1000 class D mono blocks but I didn't really like the bottom octaves. High end was lovely and airy just felt a little gutless.
MIkeDuke's Avatar MIkeDuke 05:12 PM 02-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

I don't think you could do much better either. Brystons are popular in recording and mastering rooms but there are others too. The rage today seems to be class D. Class D has been around since the 1970s but was never considered HiFi. The problem is the output filter design against the speaker impedance which can vary +/- 300%. However class D is very efficient and the obvious choice for cell phones and portable devices and has also become the choice for utility audio devices such as TV's and sound bars. It seems that some high end manufactures, most recently Theta, have exploited the technology for high end amps. They do deserve a listen with this improved class D technology.
I have seen that Bryston amps are used in some recording studios. It makes me feel good. I am sure others are used as well but still, it's sort of neat. It is pretty obvious that they are A/B amps. They get very hot and I would be willing to bet that even if it's just the first few watts, the act in A only. Then they switch to A/B. But they are a great match for my Focal 1027's. I know some pro's who master music like Focal's as well so it seems like a found a good combo smile.gif. I wonder how much better the newer Bryston amps are. Not for me though. I don't have the space and they run even more hot then what I have eek.gif. But I do like them a lot. I have heard Class D Rowland gear with JM Labs speakers and I did think that particular brand was a good match. But not as good as amps that had some class A to them. But I don't want to take this thread too far off topic. I will just end by saying I am very happy with my Bryston amps and I think regardless of the pro look, and stigma that may come with that, they deserve a listen.
SBruzonsky's Avatar SBruzonsky 06:46 PM 02-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post


I have seen that Bryston amps are used in some recording studios. It makes me feel good. I am sure others are used as well but still, it's sort of neat. It is pretty obvious that they are A/B amps. They get very hot and I would be willing to bet that even if it's just the first few watts, the act in A only. Then they switch to A/B. But they are a great match for my Focal 1027's. I know some pro's who master music like Focal's as well so it seems like a found a good combo smile.gif. I wonder how much better the newer Bryston amps are. Not for me though. I don't have the space and they run even more hot then what I have eek.gif. But I do like them a lot. I have heard Class D Rowland gear with JM Labs speakers and I did think that particular brand was a good match. But not as good as amps that had some class A to them. But I don't want to take this thread too far off topic. I will just end by saying I am very happy with my Bryston amps and I think regardless of the pro look, and stigma that may come with that, they deserve a listen.

 

My personal experience: Had Bryston 7B-ST monoblocks for 10 years. Luved them! Then switched to Theta Enterprise monoblocks which I feel are all around even better than the Brystons. Then kept 3 of the Enterprises and got a pair of Theta Citadel 1.5s for front left and right which were simply amazing and appreciably better than the Enterprises. (Richard Hardesty on his website gives his opinion that the Citadels are one of the very best amplifiers ever, if not the best.)

 

Well, just very recently got three of the brand spankin' new Theta Digital Prometheus monoblocks, and luv them so much, that I got two more, so I have five for five main channels. I feel the Prometheus equal and exceed the Citadels, which is frankly amazing.

Prometheus have no heat output being Class D. I think the reason they sound so sensational is they combine the latest and greatest of Class D with an analog power supply with a big toroid!!@@ Even my  Theta dealer Craig Shumer/VGI hadn't demod the Prometheus yet - but I heard them at CES, and based on objective stats I wanted to give them a try. At worst the initial 3 I ordered would have replaced the Enterprises at the center, left and right surround. At best I decided to have them all around and couldn't be happier!!!@@@


MIkeDuke's Avatar MIkeDuke 05:37 AM 02-25-2014
Hey Steve. I know you are not bashing Bryston, I am not saying that I haven't heard better. I have heard a number of amps that I really liked and that I know would sound great with my speakers. But the newer amps would cost multiples of what I spent on my Bryston amps and I am not in a position to get anything "better". I hate to use this phrase, "but for the money", I think the Bryston amps are hard to beat. Now I am sure your Theta setup is outstanding. I know Theta has a great reputation. I am glad you got what seems like your statement amps.
SBruzonsky's Avatar SBruzonsky 08:07 AM 02-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Hey Steve. I know you are not bashing Bryston, I am not saying that I haven't heard better. I have heard a number of amps that I really liked and that I know would sound great with my speakers. But the newer amps would cost multiples of what I spent on my Bryston amps and I am not in a position to get anything "better". I hate to use this phrase, "but for the money", I think the Bryston amps are hard to beat. Now I am sure your Theta setup is outstanding. I know Theta has a great reputation. I am glad you got what seems like your statement amps.

 

Hey, I had Bryston amps for ten years!!! There is no better audio manufacturer than Bryston generally in terms of products and service. They are fantastic!

Bryston gear and amps are extremely competititve soundwise and pricewise.

 

However, keep in mind that there is a used market on Audiogon and Ebay, too - and sometimes you can get a really good deal on used amps which sound great in one's sysem!

 

I also had a Bryston BDP-1 Media Player for two years, prior to moving up to a custom built media server!


MIkeDuke's Avatar MIkeDuke 08:42 AM 02-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruzonsky View Post

Hey, I had Bryston amps for ten years!!! There is no better audio manufacturer than Bryston generally in terms of products and service. They are fantastic!
Bryston gear and amps are extremely competititve soundwise and pricewise.

However, keep in mind that there is a used market on Audiogon and Ebay, too - and sometimes you can get a really good deal on used amps which sound great in one's sysem!

I also had a Bryston BDP-1 Media Player for two years, prior to moving up to a custom built media server!
I think I am just wary of buying stuff online. Plus, it's hard for me to work on my system by myself so I typically rely on other people for help when I do something with my system. Also, with my racks, I am limited with height so while I may really want to try something else, I need to take that into consideration unless I get a whole new system for holding all my gear. Which I really don't want to do.
1  2

Up
Mobile  Desktop