Is anyone still using Sony Qualia 004? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 12-08-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I like my Sony Qualia 004. I liked it so much that I bought a backup projector, a couple of years ago, because it was being sold with a new bulb. I used the bulb but didn't need to use the projector.

I am trying to identify other owners of Sony Qualia 004.

Is this still a desired projector? Are there others, who are as happy as I am, with this?
audvid is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 12-08-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,881
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post

I like my Sony Qualia 004. I liked it so much that I bought a backup projector, a couple of years ago, because it was being sold with a new bulb. I used the bulb but didn't need to use the projector.

I am trying to identify other owners of Sony Qualia 004.

Is this still a desired projector? Are there others, who are as happy as I am, with this?

As you know, I owned one of these years ago. It's esthetically gorgeous and essentially silent. However, panel convergence is not ideal and not adjustable. Black levels and CR are very poor by today's standard. But since they can be had for a couple thousand (or less), the downsides are manageable if you want a good picture on the cheap. However, it was a far more expensive projector years ago and there are far better projectors today at the same or less cost than the Qualia was... My current (now 5 year old SIM2 Lumis/HOST) beats in in every aspect (except loudness) and I am still enjoying it's excellent picture.

Still, the Qualia, is a gem. Xenon bulbs are great but they lose their brightness so quickly.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is online now  
post #3 of 31 Old 12-08-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I would imagine that your Sim2 would be better. It is much newer, yes? I saw one, used, on ebay for $15,000.

I have tried a couple of sub $3000 projectors for comparison and I found my qualia to be superior - in clarity and sharpness of image. In fact, I found it better than one of the JVC eshift 4k models (even though JVC had higher contrast ratio).

Even though the contrast is lower than current models, I continue to enjoy this projector because I think I am appreciating the superiority of the "clarity and sharpness" of the Carl Zeiss lens. I am sure you would agree that such a fabulous lens would show optically, its value.

I am going to sell one and use my other projector till I eventually buy one of the new Sony 4k models.

Meanwhile, I would like to know, if other members are still using this projector..
audvid is offline  
post #4 of 31 Old 12-31-2013, 06:29 PM
Member
 
Michael Sevan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am on the same boat. Still using a Qualia 004 that I bought as soon as they became available many years ago, which is more a sign that my home theater is not used often enough. Starting to consider a Sony 4K, although the rapid depreciation on these beast gives me pause. Confirming that the black level is clearly not there anymore when you compare to newer models. It also gives me grief sometimes with its HDCP handling. But it is a beauty!
audvid likes this.
Michael Sevan is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 01-01-2014, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sevan View Post

I am on the same boat. Still using a Qualia 004 that I bought as soon as they became available many years ago, which is more a sign that my home theater is not used often enough. Starting to consider a Sony 4K, although the rapid depreciation on these beast gives me pause. Confirming that the black level is clearly not there anymore when you compare to newer models. It also gives me grief sometimes with its HDCP handling. But it is a beauty!
Do you see that the new gen projectors picture, because of their superior contrast, to be visibly superior to your qualia? The reason I ask is - mine is not the most ideal room - as often is the case with at least 50% of home theaters. I wish I could paint my entire room black. Unfortunately, only the ceiling and carpet are black for 10 feet from screen. I have wondered if I would actually be able to appreciate the superior contrast, in my less than ideal room. What is your opinion, on the projectors you saw? Which projector did you see, to compare?

What about the sharpness of the lens? Do you see any superiority of the Qualia, as compared to the new projectors with much less expensive lenses?

PS: My thanks to fellow member "WestJohnson". He saw that I was trying to buy a lamp and simply sent me his brand new sony lamp for free, as a Christmas gift! His projector apparently broke down. Even though I offered to pay for it, he just sent it for free.. Only in America.. only in this great society.. such things happen! Thanks again, West!
audvid is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 01-01-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PeterS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 2,359
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Still prefer the Qualia over many of the non-4k projectors. It just has a more "film-like" look to its image. While newer projectors have more CR, to me they look more "televisiony". Have extra bulbs, but would not replace it with anything today less than $20k. Panel convergence on mine is spot-on and the sharpness is exceptional with the Zeiss glass lenses.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Affiliated
PeterS is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 01-01-2014, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post

Still prefer the Qualia over many of the non-4k projectors. It just has a more "film-like" look to its image. While newer projectors have more CR, to me they look more "televisiony". Have extra bulbs, but would not replace it with anything today less than $20k. Panel convergence on mine is spot-on and the sharpness is exceptional with the Zeiss glass lenses.
Good to hear that PeterS. I agree with your observation about the Zeiss glass lens. I am surprised that there is not much demand for these in the used market. Of course, the cost of the bulb is an issue.
Recently, I saw a JVC eshift 4k projector - it was quite nice but it was on a 100" wide screen (as compared to my qualia at 140" wide screen). I am not an expert at Video but I thought the JVC eshift 4k (65?) was probably better than my qualia for picture depth - but the screen size variation does not make it a fair comparison.. In the past, I found such JVC projectors to be a bit "soft" in sharpness, as compared to the Zeiss lens but this one looked pretty good.

Someone said that he was replacing his qualia 004 with the new sony 4k (500 version I think) for about $10,000. That seems like a great price.
audvid is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 01-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Member
 
Michael Sevan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post

Do you see that the new gen projectors picture, because of their superior contrast, to be visibly superior to your qualia? The reason I ask is - mine is not the most ideal room - as often is the case with at least 50% of home theaters. I wish I could paint my entire room black. Unfortunately, only the ceiling and carpet are black for 10 feet from screen. I have wondered if I would actually be able to appreciate the superior contrast, in my less than ideal room. What is your opinion, on the projectors you saw? Which projector did you see, to compare?

What about the sharpness of the lens? Do you see any superiority of the Qualia, as compared to the new projectors with much less expensive lenses?

I think the projector I saw was the VPL-VW600ES at a dealer location (Magnolia). The room was not even totally black but the picture was pretty stunning. My home theater is decent in terms of blackness. I'd probably also consider the VPL-VW1100ES but that's $28K. And buying a 4K projector would have cascading effect on the need to buy more 4K able toys. So until the urge becomes unsurmountable I will probably stay with the Qualia. I also have a spare lamp, but not sure I will ever use it. I am still reasonably happy with the overall experience with the Qualia.
Michael Sevan is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 01-04-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sevan View Post

I think the projector I saw was the VPL-VW600ES at a dealer location (Magnolia). The room was not even totally black but the picture was pretty stunning. My home theater is decent in terms of blackness. I'd probably also consider the VPL-VW1100ES but that's $28K. And buying a 4K projector would have cascading effect on the need to buy more 4K able toys. So until the urge becomes unsurmountable I will probably stay with the Qualia. I also have a spare lamp, but not sure I will ever use it. I am still reasonably happy with the overall experience with the Qualia.
Before you get too excited about the sony 500/600 (what's the difference between the 500 vs 600? I don't know), please read the thread on it.. I was not yet in the market for it but now that I have read the thread - its better to wait for a while.. It seems that many are having issues with it.. some say they don't mind waiting 20 to 30 mins for its convergence to be correct.. That's quite bad.. just IMHO...
so.. not to worry. We are find with our qualia for now..
audvid is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 01-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Member
 
Michael Sevan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post

Before you get too excited about the sony 500/600 (what's the difference between the 500 vs 600? I don't know), please read the thread on it.. I was not yet in the market for it but now that I have read the thread - its better to wait for a while.. It seems that many are having issues with it.. some say they don't mind waiting 20 to 30 mins for its convergence to be correct.. That's quite bad.. just IMHO...
so.. not to worry. We are find with our qualia for now..
I don't think I was going to go for the 600 (my understanding is that the 500 and 600 are the same, just different names in different countries). If I could spend close over $30K on a Qualia then, I can still spend close to that 10 years later. My problem is that I don't use the home theater often enough. Our 'secondary' home theater has a Kuro Pioneer Elite 60" and we end up using that setting more often than the Qualia. Part of it is not having enough time on the evening to immerse in the home theater. I am still curious about the Sony 1100ES, it seems that it has good optics and potential, but I'd like to see what happens on the source side concerning 4K content. No rush though, the Qualia was a bit ahead of its time on 1080p and it had some kinks, I don't want to repeat that with the new generation.
Michael Sevan is offline  
post #11 of 31 Old 03-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Newbie
 
luismiguel999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

I like my Sony Qualia 004 to,and I wonder if anyone can help me how can I
get at Qualia 1080p24sf on my HTPC?

I have an ATI Radeon with latest drivers but I can not get the 1080p24sf only

the 1080i 50hz at DVI input.

 

HTPC:

Intel core duo 2.6 GHz.

4 GB Ram

Windows 7 64 bit

 

Best regards
 

audvid likes this.
luismiguel999 is offline  
post #12 of 31 Old 03-08-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismiguel999 View Post

I like my Sony Qualia 004 to,and I wonder if anyone can help me how can I get at Qualia 1080p24sf on my HTPC?
To my (limited) knowledge, the only way is to use a LUmagen Video processor in the loop. I have an older lumagen vision hdp, which can output what the qualia 004 needs. I tried it, albeit only briefly.. I saw no visible difference. Therefore, I don't even use it. You might want to consider buying an older Lumagen with the 1080p24sf capability. There should be plenty of them, available for sale in the used market, for not much money. I am not sure if you can send 1080p24 and 1080p60 from your HTPC to the lumagen for it to output the corresponding 1080pXXsf. My suggestion being - to explore the possibility of using a Lumagen in the loop to get the "sf" format into the qualia.
audvid is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 03-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Newbie
 
luismiguel999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Thanks for the reply, I had a doubt when says that "I saw no visible difference", because
my goal is to achieve an improvement in the definition even if it is on a small scale?

 

Best regards

luismiguel999 is offline  
post #14 of 31 Old 03-08-2014, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm not an expert in video. I didn't see a visible improvement with lumagen and 1080i vs 1080p, possibly because the qualia has an excellent scaler.
If you'd like, I can loan you my lumagen. Send me a pm with your address.
Btw, I believe 1080p was an upgrade/update. Not all had 1080psf capability. Yours?
audvid is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 03-09-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 19,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 489
I am just dumb founded at what I read here. The Qualia 004 was and is a 1080p displaying projector. There was one upgrade done by sony to the projector and the vast majority out there do not have the upgrade. In the non upgraded configuration the machine would accept all the usual below 1080p inputs including 1080i AND it would accept 1080p in but limited to 1080p 24. The machine would not accept 1080p 60 in and the upgrade to allow 1080p 60 cost something like $3000 and was performed by Sony approved and trained subcontractors.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #16 of 31 Old 03-09-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,881
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I had a Lumagen with 1080P24sf and it looked great on mine. Not a huge difference over 1080i but somewhat better none the less. I did not pay to have it upgraded.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is online now  
post #17 of 31 Old 03-09-2014, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have two qualia projectors. I think one and possibly both were upgraded for 1080p. Its been a few years ago that I tried the lumagen. I thought I tried 1080p60 input to lumagen but I am not sure. I don't recall the details except that I really couldn't see much, if any, of the improvement. But them, I'm not really an expert at analyzing video, with such detail. I was happy enough with the qualia at 1080i. I didn't want to deal with lumagen and external HDMI matrix switch combination. Frankly I don't recall the details... But I would be happy to loan the lunagen to try
audvid is offline  
post #18 of 31 Old 03-09-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 19,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I had a Lumagen with 1080P2sf and it looked great on mine. Not a huge difference over 1080i but somewhat better none the less. I did not pay to have it upgraded.

Typo. 2 fps would really look bad. You mean 24. smile.gif

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #19 of 31 Old 03-09-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,881
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Typo. 2 fps would really look bad. You mean 24. smile.gif

Oops.. Edited!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is online now  
post #20 of 31 Old 03-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Perfectionist2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I had my Q004 upgraded to the R2 with 1080p card. The upgrade was a waste of money. The output from my Lumagen was just fine.
Perfectionist2 is offline  
post #21 of 31 Old 03-10-2014, 03:16 AM
Newbie
 
luismiguel999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

hello everyone, what I read I gather that the best option is to have the lumagen for those who not
have the upgrade, which is my case but I'll leave this to last if I have no other option.

In my HTPC I can not choose in the Catalyst Control Center the option of 1080p24sf but

I can change the timings in PowerStrip if someone have these timings I could reach 1080p24sf

but I'm not sure it is possible with PowerStrip or other software?

luismiguel999 is offline  
post #22 of 31 Old 03-10-2014, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I am just dumb founded at what I read here. The Qualia 004 was and is a 1080p displaying projector. There was one upgrade done by sony to the projector and the vast majority out there do not have the upgrade. In the non upgraded configuration the machine would accept all the usual below 1080p inputs including 1080i AND it would accept 1080p in but limited to 1080p 24. The machine would not accept 1080p 60 in and the upgrade to allow 1080p 60 cost something like $3000 and was performed by Sony approved and trained subcontractors.
are you absolutely sure about what you wrote? Dumb founded? Hmmm...
I am not an expert at this and am now old enough to not be sure of my memory but my understanding was that it is limited to 1080p24sf and also, even after upgrade, 1080p60sf. I seem to recall that the seller told me that my projector was upgraded but still needed a lumagen for the sf of 1080p60sf and that it works only thru dvi input and not HDMI input. Again, I'm not 100% sure but...
audvid is offline  
post #23 of 31 Old 03-11-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Curt Palme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 18,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
FWIW, if anyone is interested, I still repair the Qualia 004 power supply. Have repaired about 20 of them now with zero issues, so keep me in mind if your 004 ever goes intermittent or dead. No need to send me the whole Qualia either, I just need one board out of it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- CRT tech info


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-pro audio website
Curt Palme is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 03-11-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DanFrancis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Aurora, IL, USA
Posts: 1,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
There's a dealer in LA; Brentwood Communications that just pulled their Qualia down last week from their showroom. If anyone is interested, I suggest you contact Michael Hattem regarding the projector. I think he said he still has 2 brand new lamps for it as well.

contact info:
Brentwood Communications
1-310-476-6363

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DanFrancis is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 03-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Newbie
 
luismiguel999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post

I'm not an expert in video. I didn't see a visible improvement with lumagen and 1080i vs 1080p, possibly because the qualia has an excellent scaler.
If you'd like, I can loan you my lumagen. Send me a pm with your address.
Btw, I believe 1080p was an upgrade/update. Not all had 1080psf capability. Yours?

After reading all I decided that the best option is to buy a Lumagen, so if you want to sell me your scaler please send to my email addresse a quality picture of the back of the LUMAGEN and how much you want for it.

I like the Qualia over many of the non-4k projectors. I just prefer the quality of the colors (if well tuned) and I do not know if it is the lens or the Xenon lamp (light beam very similar to sunlight) that makes the difference or both but I recognize that blacks are not the best, while newer projectors have more CR it does not mean anything which reminds me the watts of amplifiers when measuring never corresponds to they claim, I would not replace it with anything today, and for me remains one of the most beautiful projectors.

 

 Email addresse: luismiguel999@gmail.com

 

Best regards

luismiguel999 is offline  
post #26 of 31 Old 03-31-2014, 04:35 PM
Newbie
 
heiserj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you guys tell me what firmware you are running on your Qualia (Main/Scan Converter)? I received 2.29 from Sony but when I logged into my 1080p unit it said it was running 5.23/5.12 respectively. I am just wondering if that was only intended for a 1080i unit or what.
heiserj is offline  
post #27 of 31 Old 04-07-2014, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by heiserj View Post

Can you guys tell me what firmware you are running on your Qualia (Main/Scan Converter)? I received 2.29 from Sony but when I logged into my 1080p unit it said it was running 5.23/5.12 respectively. I am just wondering if that was only intended for a 1080i unit or what.
I don't understand your question. What is the "main/scan converter"? I went to the info page on my qualia but could not see any firmware revisions. Where would I find the information you seek?
audvid is offline  
post #28 of 31 Old 05-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Newbie
 
Eye8m's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nice to know someone's out there repairing Qualia 004's. Had mine repaired once at Sony's Texas facility. Some board was replaced, maybe power supply was involved, can't remember. Still love the Qualia - not replacing it anytime soon.

I was wondering if you have had any experience replacing the bulb, the bulb itself, into an old lamp housing. The bulb appears to be available these days mainly without the housing. In the housing, the bulb is surrounded by a white presumably heat conducting paste. Bulb sellers never mention the paste. Know anything about this?
Eye8m is offline  
post #29 of 31 Old 05-04-2014, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
audvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have removed the lamp from the housing. It's fairly straight forward.
I don't remember the paste.
could you please let me know where to buy the bulb?
The last time I checked, Atlas bulb co wanted, I think, $900. Did you find a less expensive option?
BTW, if anyone needs a qualia 004, I have an extra unit. I liked the qualia so much that I bought a back up unit. It works fine but my main unit never failed.
Thanks
audvid is offline  
post #30 of 31 Old 05-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Newbie
 
Eye8m's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The bulb can be found on line for$ 900 something, sans housing. I think the paste is important for thermal coupling to conduct heat away from the bulb. Can't remember how and where the electrical connection is made, do you? Still very happy with my Qualia. It's still has a great picture, even though it has been bested in black level and CR by later models. Has anyone bested its Zeiss lens? I think that's important, as well the more uniform spectrum from the xenon bulb.
audvid likes this.
Eye8m is offline  
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off