Theta Casablanca IV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 182 Old 01-19-2014, 01:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
bigbrother52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hudson River Valley, N.Y.
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was hoping to have a review of the 1st CB-IV upgrade with Dirac Live out long before now.
As some of you already know, I received my CB-IV upgrade which was arranged by Craig Shumer of Theatermax.
I was very excited to get it on Jan. 4th, almost 3 years to the day of receiving my CB-IIIHD.

Unfortunately, 4 days later, just hours before I was about to install the Dirac Live software, I had a major flood with massive water damage to my Home Theater as well as several other rooms of the house and this is the first chance I've had to sit down and even look at what's going on here at AVS.

While all of this damage was unavoidable and through no fault of my own, I'd still like to apologize to Theta Digital and Theatermax, David Reich, John Baloff and Craig Shumer in particular for jumping through all kinds of hoops right in the middle of CES when everyone was so busy, to help get me up and running only to have to abandon my small part in the release of the CB-IV upgrade and haven't even had the time to let everyone know that the
CB-IV upgrade was available and it is real.

I see that most of what is new in the CB-IV and what no longer is in a Casablanca has already been reported from CES so there is very little new info I can give you at this point in time.
I will probably be down a month or two as we continue to assess the damage here, clean up and start to rebuild.

Again, I want Theta Digital and Theatermax to know that I do appreciate all of their efforts in getting me this first CB-IV upgrade and I know it is a great privilege. I hate that I let them all down after all of their work.
I'm sure I would have had a really good time here on AVS reporting back to all of the readers my findings and thoughts on what promises to be a really big hit for Theta Digital.

And my apologies for letting all of the readers here on AVS down.

bigbrother52
Marc

TURN IT UP!
bigbrother52 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 182 Old 01-19-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Thx for the update and back on your feet!

Blazar!
blazar is online now  
post #93 of 182 Old 01-19-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 17,668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother52 View Post

I was hoping to have a review of the 1st CB-IV upgrade with Dirac Live out long before now.
As some of you already know, I received my CB-IV upgrade which was arranged by Craig Shumer of Theatermax.
I was very excited to get it on Jan. 4th, almost 3 years to the day of receiving my CB-IIIHD.

Unfortunately, 4 days later, just hours before I was about to install the Dirac Live software, I had a major flood with massive water damage to my Home Theater as well as several other rooms of the house and this is the first chance I've had to sit down and even look at what's going on here at AVS.

While all of this damage was unavoidable and through no fault of my own, I'd still like to apologize to Theta Digital and Theatermax, David Reich, John Baloff and Craig Shumer in particular for jumping through all kinds of hoops right in the middle of CES when everyone was so busy, to help get me up and running only to have to abandon my small part in the release of the CB-IV upgrade and haven't even had the time to let everyone know that the
CB-IV upgrade was available and it is real.

I see that most of what is new in the CB-IV and what no longer is in a Casablanca has already been reported from CES so there is very little new info I can give you at this point in time.
I will probably be down a month or two as we continue to assess the damage here, clean up and start to rebuild.

Again, I want Theta Digital and Theatermax to know that I do appreciate all of their efforts in getting me this first CB-IV upgrade and I know it is a great privilege. I hate that I let them all down after all of their work.
I'm sure I would have had a really good time here on AVS reporting back to all of the readers my findings and thoughts on what promises to be a really big hit for Theta Digital.

And my apologies for letting all of the readers here on AVS down.

bigbrother52
Marc


Marc, no need for apology, and you haven't and never let us down.

You have been hit by major home flooding. The last thing you should worry about is reviewing the CB4!

We had a serious water problem getting into our basement; and finally after searching and searching got the right contractor
and had to make changes to outside landscaping, drill deep wells for water drainage, pumps in basement wells, waterproofing, basement repair, etc at very considerable cost (not covered by our homeowner's insurance because damage due to the incompetent way basements were built years ago here in Az where few know how to build basements and landscaping correctly). Work finally completed Aug 2012. Fortunately back in 1997 I built my dedicated home theater as a new home addition on the other side of my home and far from the basement water problems!

Us Theta luvers wish you our very best!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #94 of 182 Old 01-20-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanFrancis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Aurora, IL, USA
Posts: 1,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
This is an aside that I maybe should have brought up earlier (read: closer to CES than now).

Morris, Jeff, and John of ATI/Theta all confirmed to me that I would be sent a Casablanca IV to check out, the major caveat is that I must be patient...obviously customer units come first and once production has ramped up and there is one available they will send it to me.

I'm perfectly cool with that, it's exceptionally generous for them to offer at all! (Being in the industry and involved with affiliated companies never hurts, either).

Regardless, based on what I heard at CES; I'm excited at the opportunity and I think it will prove to be edifying.

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH
www.cseed.tv
df@cseed.tv
DanFrancis is online now  
post #95 of 182 Old 01-20-2014, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
djnickuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Very much looking forward to your review, Dan.
djnickuk is offline  
post #96 of 182 Old 01-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Brucemck2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother52 View Post

I had a major flood with massive water damage to my Home Theater as well as several other rooms of the house and this is the first chance I've had to sit down and even look at what's going on here at AVS.

From experience (my entire downstairs was under water a few years back) you're in for a grueling period of rebuilding. Good luck! We'll be here when you're done.
Brucemck2 is offline  
post #97 of 182 Old 02-22-2014, 09:14 PM
els
Senior Member
 
els's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Pleasanton, CA, USA
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post

Big

Local Theta Dealers are coming back my friend. For so many years when Neil Owned Theta and the CB was kind of stagnant Theta Dealers were not interested as the future was unknown. Now that Morris has brought it back to life watch and see how many dealers are going to sign up for this brand once again..

Its like this with every brand. Dealers want the brand when its hot.

Craig

A short note to share with the Forum members that Craig is a dealer who knows his product, and provides outstanding support and service. I began my relationship with Craig with a CB3HD upgrade, and look forward to joining the CB4 gang in the near future. You can buy with confidence when dealing with Craig.
Sup4Me likes this.
els is offline  
post #98 of 182 Old 02-22-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 17,668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
:)Love my five Theta Digital Prometheus monoblocks. Can't wait to get the CB3 HD to CB4 upgrade (but will wait until Craig tells me its a "go").

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #99 of 182 Old 03-05-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AV Doogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 2,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
...Steve, have you taken any pics of the new amps within your system?

My Home Theater Site:

DJ-Theater
AV Doogie is offline  
post #100 of 182 Old 03-05-2014, 10:38 PM
 
SBruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Gilbert, Az
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yup!!!@@@

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie View Post

...Steve, have you taken any pics of the new amps within your system?
SBruzonsky is offline  
post #101 of 182 Old 03-06-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AV Doogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 2,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are you using the monoblocks for just the fronts?

Those are nice looking amps. I thought they would be much smaller though... being class D amplifiers. Can these amps be stacked in a rack or must they be installed on the base near the speakers as you have them?

My Home Theater Site:

DJ-Theater
AV Doogie is offline  
post #102 of 182 Old 03-06-2014, 05:42 PM
 
SBruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Gilbert, Az
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc828 View Post

You say good things about Craig, but I have called him twice and emailed him three times in the last fews days and no return calls or emails. I would love to talk to him.

 

Patience is a virtue. When I talked with Craig late last week, he said he was going to be unavailable for a few days to a week or so  - - don't know if he's on a cruise, in Europe, or whatever. But I'm sure he'll get back to you when he is available.

SBruzonsky is offline  
post #103 of 182 Old 03-06-2014, 05:45 PM
 
SBruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Gilbert, Az
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie View Post

Are you using the monoblocks for just the fronts?

Those are nice looking amps. I thought they would be much smaller though... being class D amplifiers. Can these amps be stacked in a rack or must they be installed on the base near the speakers as you have them?

 

I initially ordered three Prometheus, but within a few days was so impressed that I quickly got two more. So yes I am using them for the surrounds.

 

The monoblocks are a good amount snaller than the Enterprise and way smaller than the Citadel, but still too large for anyting but placing next to the speaker. Why not as small as you'd like? Because Theta's Dave Reich designed them with an analog power supply with large toriods, which is why they sound so darn marvelous!

SBruzonsky is offline  
post #104 of 182 Old 03-14-2014, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
mhrischuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garnet Valley, Pa.
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73

I have a brand new III for sale if anyone is interested. See my signature.

Mike


See My System Here
 
"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
mhrischuk is offline  
post #105 of 182 Old 04-06-2014, 05:15 AM
Senior Member
 
tjk3030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The south.
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hmmm. The last post on this thread was 1/2/2014. Are there any updates on the upgrade to IV? Is it even happening? Considering all the excitement about Dirac etc, rather strange this thread is awful quiet.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
tjk3030 is offline  
post #106 of 182 Old 04-06-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 24,010
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I was curious as well. DIRAC is supposed to be the next coming. I think it is only on new units but, obviously, few buyers - or its still being developed. Perhaps updating for up to 16 channels as this is where things are going.

Steve and I had a bet he'd have it by Theta's deadline in December... 4 months ago but not a peep about it out of the Theta crowd since they failed to deliver.

Anyone in the know? I have my order in!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
post #107 of 182 Old 04-06-2014, 11:26 AM
 
SBruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Gilbert, Az
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I was curious as well. DIRAC is supposed to be the next coming. I think it is only on new units but, obviously, few buyers - or its still being developed. Perhaps updating for up to 16 channels as this is where things are going.

Steve and I had a bet he'd have it by Theta's deadline in December... 4 months ago but not a peep about it out of the Theta crowd since they failed to deliver.

Anyone in the know? I have my order in!

 

The Bland means Steve Kale. Not me.

 

I also wonder whether DIRAC may be the holdup - perhaps some bugs that need to get straightened out? I haven't been reading the DIRAC threads on the web other than a bit of skimming but my impression is that DIRAC has its issues even using DIRAC in a PC, so perhaps its been buggy with the CBIV thus more time for the software engineers to get it closer to 100% right?

 

My Prometheus monoblocks took a lot longer to become available than was initially announced but the wait sure was worth it!!!@@@

 

Technically I think the Bland lost his bet - South Carolina reported on this thread late last December showing he had a CBIV installed with photos - haven't heard from him since, but he showed the boxes, packing and everything. Legally since this was in December the  Bland lost the bet. HA! All it takes is one!

SBruzonsky is offline  
post #108 of 182 Old 04-06-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stevekale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I understand the CBIV is shipping as evidenced by this thread. But I have not heard any reports re Dirac. Has the OP tried Dirac?

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
stevekale is offline  
post #109 of 182 Old 04-06-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 24,010
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 163
You know. I don't believe it's shipping all. Don't you recall the orgasm big brother had when he got the first CD3 HD?? It's been four months since the purported release and all I see are blue balls in the Theta thread and scant a word from the OP who supposedly received one...not to be a conspiracy theorist but even the photos from the first guy who got one look suspicious to me. I bet if he actually got when it's back at Theta.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
post #110 of 182 Old 04-07-2014, 03:11 PM
Senior Member
 
tjk3030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The south.
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have my order in too. I thought this thread would be boiling over with all the results flying back and forth over the upgrade??

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
tjk3030 is offline  
post #111 of 182 Old 04-07-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 24,010
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk3030 View Post

I have my order in too. I thought this thread would be boiling over with all the results flying back and forth over the upgrade??

Looks like DIRAC was a fail in the CBIV. When enthusiasts acquire new, ground breaking gear and they remain quiet, it generally means it does not work (or faulty) and are holding their breath that the manufacturer can fix it. Supposedly, not talking about it makes the fix come faster!!biggrin.gif

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
post #112 of 182 Old 04-07-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stevekale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It's quite possible that those buying new CB IVs have better things to do that muck around on an internet forum…

While I hope to get my IV upgrade imminently I've no interest in bragging rights about being first this or first that. For me, I just need to time upgrade for when I am travelling to the States else the cost of shipping the unit back and forth adds considerably to an upgrade cost. I can wait until I have time to catch some FL sunshine or other reason to be State-side.

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
stevekale is offline  
post #113 of 182 Old 04-07-2014, 04:45 PM
VGI
Advanced Member
 
VGI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Steve Well said thank you !

Yes we are very hard at work expanding the dac capability for Cb4.. I have my Gorgeous CB4 working and Dirac is fully functional.

What Theta is working on is the Dac Configuration flexibility.

Unlike every other processor in the world that has fixed outputs and is not upgradable and modular like the Casablanca, Theta certainly ends up paying the price in engineering. The work involved to try and make older dacs work is exhausting and very expensive. If everyone buying a Cb4 upgrade or new was willing to use the newer dacs we would be shipping them like crazy.

I am pushing Theta for Launch perfection and Dac Flexibility as my installed base of CB's is huge and I want people to be happy. I have spent many many hours working with CB4 and the guys at Theta are making it better and better just as we did with CB3HD.. Yes its taking longer than expected but its intense engineering on some very complex new products that are inside CB4 and it takes time.

Of course some old Naysayers are back on the thread obviously their Dental Practice isn't requiring their time so they come on the Theta Thread to pick and poke at us. Seems each release they come back and badger us about how the Casablanca 3HD and now the 4 is never going to come out or some ridiculous thing and then we release it and he goes back to working on teeth and playing with his 1500 surround sound processor. Not sure how someone in a profession like this has time to spend on threads that don't involve anything he owns but somehow he has the time.

Guys , We are getting close , Really close. Theta hopes to have a new load to me possibly end of this week and if it works with my various dacs i need supported we will start to release. If not we need to hash it out.

I can tell you 99% of the people who are on line for Cb4. They are all patient and just want a solid stable release like Cb3HD was.

Lots of good things to come

Craig
Sup4Me likes this.
VGI is offline  
post #114 of 182 Old 04-07-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 24,010
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post


I am pushing Theta for Launch perfection and Dac Flexibility as my installed base of CB's is huge and I want people to be happy. I have spent many many hours working with CB4 and the guys at Theta are making it better and better just as we did with CB3HD.. Yes its taking longer than expected but its intense engineering on some very complex new products that are inside CB4 and it takes time.

Of course some old Naysayers are back on the thread obviously their Dental Practice isn't requiring their time so they come on the Theta Thread to pick and poke at us. Seems each release they come back and badger us about how the Casablanca 3HD and now the 4 is never going to come out or some ridiculous thing and then we release it and he goes back to working on teeth and playing with his 1500 surround sound processor. Not sure how someone in a profession like this has time to spend on threads that don't involve anything he owns but somehow he has the time.

Craig

It's strange that the only guy in the forum who has one posted some odd pix of it and when folks asked how it sounded or specific questions about DIRAC, he exited the forum permanently. I think it was Steve's arch enemy, Doug Winsor, reborn. I suspect it was sent back as this was over 4 months
Craig, you know I think you are a great guy and dealer but someone has to call out the missed deadlines, etc. Besides, it keeps things interesting around here...smile.gif

Craig,

(and Steve K was so certain he'd have then as well... biggrin.gif)

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
post #115 of 182 Old 04-07-2014, 05:17 PM
VGI
Advanced Member
 
VGI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

It's strange that the only guy in the forum who has one posted some odd pix of it and when folks asked how it sounded or specific questions about DIRAC, he exited the forum permanently. I think it was Steve's arch enemy, Doug Winsor, reborn. I suspect it was sent back as this was over 4 months
Craig, you know I think you are a great guy and dealer but someone has to call out the missed deadlines, etc. Besides, it keeps things interesting around here...smile.gif

Craig,

(and Steve K was so certain he'd have then as well... biggrin.gif)

Jeff , Thank you..

Sorry to jump on you but we are spending so much time and money on this thing its nuts. So when I see crazy posts , I loose my marbles.

Trust me on the fact that Morris is spending incredible amounts of money to make this right as he did on Cb3hd..

There are so many off shore Pre pros now that people are buying and what they dont get is when something happens big like Real HDMI 2.0.. All those pre pros will be tossed away and so much money lost. With Casablanca we have HDMI 4K currently with the ability to quickly update or replace the card for not a whole lot of money. This is where Theta will reign supreme for sure. Theta's HDMI upgradability is something similar to what samsung is doing this year where the Video Pack is upgradable. This allows people to spend money and not toss product.

Thanks
Craig
VGI is offline  
post #116 of 182 Old 04-07-2014, 05:22 PM
 
SBruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Gilbert, Az
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post


It's strange that the only guy in the forum who has one posted some odd pix of it and when folks asked how it sounded or specific questions about DIRAC, he exited the forum permanently. I think it was Steve's arch enemy, Doug Winsor, reborn. I suspect it was sent back as this was over 4 months
Craig, you know I think you are a great guy and dealer but someone has to call out the missed deadlines, etc. Besides, it keeps things interesting around here...smile.gif

Craig,

(and Steve K was so certain he'd have then as well... biggrin.gif)

 

Gee, Mr Bland, it wasn't "Doug Winsor" - South Carolina posted at the start of this thread his new CBIV. Didn't you see that? Or can't you turn back the pages?

 

As for arch enemies, think of me as "The Batman", and you are "The Penguin", and "Doug Winsor", whoever he was or is now, may be "Raas Al Ghul" (the eternal enemy of humankind and thetakind)!

SBruzonsky is offline  
post #117 of 182 Old 04-08-2014, 12:10 AM
 
SBruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Gilbert, Az
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Hey Jeff (Mr Bland), too bad you didn't bet me on the Theta Digital Prometheus monoblocks. Yea, they came 1-2 years late it seems after being demoed at CES and CEDIA - but "man" they were worth their "wait", and are worth their weight in gold to me, the sonics are so spectacular. I own a number of Theta products - I have faith. Sort of like the patients who come to your dental practice - they have faith in you. Your patients are rewarded - and my patience is rewarded!

SBruzonsky is offline  
post #118 of 182 Old 04-08-2014, 01:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 24,010
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruzonsky View Post

Hey Jeff (Mr Bland), too bad you didn't bet me on the Theta Digital Prometheus monoblocks. Yea, they came 1-2 years late it seems after being demoed at CES and CEDIA - but "man" they were worth their "wait", and are worth their weight in gold to me, the sonics are so spectacular. I own a number of Theta products - I have faith. Sort of like the patients who come to your dental practice - they have faith in you. Your patients are rewarded - and my patience is rewarded!

I have no doubt that you luv Theta - Theta has rewarded you with their ambassadorship! It's good stuff for sure. I enjoy the deadlines and Theta testing your patience with each new SSP release. Frankly, I am looking until September to get my hands on a Trinnov Altitude SSP. Now Trinnov says September... but who knows (particularly since it's their first SSP and as you Theta guys know, we know what happens when time lines for a new product are given:D). With all the channels I'm going to need for my set up (either 9.1 or 11.1), I couldn't afford or have the physical space for all those monoblocks!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
post #119 of 182 Old 04-08-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
edorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post

Unlike every other processor in the world that has fixed outputs and is not upgradable and modular like the Casablanca, Theta certainly ends up paying the price in engineering. The work involved to try and make older dacs work is exhausting and very expensive. If everyone buying a Cb4 upgrade or new was willing to use the newer dacs we would be shipping them like crazy.

I believe your current model top of the line DAC is also your oldest DAC, so it would not make a lot of sense for your customers to buy the newer (Premium) DACs..... Can we conclude from your statement that the engineering delay is caused by difficulty supporting the Xtreme DACs and the unit you have humming along is equipped with premium DACs?
edorr is offline  
post #120 of 182 Old 04-08-2014, 07:07 AM
VGI
Advanced Member
 
VGI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

I believe your current model top of the line DAC is also your oldest DAC, so it would not make a lot of sense for your customers to buy the newer (Premium) DACs..... Can we conclude from your statement that the engineering delay is caused by difficulty supporting the Xtreme DACs and the unit you have humming along is equipped with premium DACs?

No, not at all.

Premiums and extremes work perfectly and it seems that because they are 4 channel cards they seem to channelized like cb3hd and they work great.

It's the superior 2 card that has some channel problems along with the superior 1 which I don't have as much concern about.

There are quite a few people with the older 3 channel cards superior 1/2 cards and they would like to use them on cb4. That's what we are working on.

My unit has a mix of everything and I move the cards around for testing. There's so many combinations of cards and channels it's exhausting as you can imagine. We want it to be right so I am spending the time to test everything I can.

Craig
VGI is offline  
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off