Theta Casablanca IV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 182 Old 12-30-2013, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Just received the new Theta Casablanca IV tonight and have it mounted in the rack already.. Will be going through the motions of initial hook-up, Crestron Integration, Room Correction, and will provide feedback on 4K pass through capability as I've also upgraded to the new Sony 600 ES 4K projector as well. Exciting times to come in the next days and weeks. Stay tuned!

bigbrother52 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Carolina View Post

Just received the new Theta Casablanca IV tonight and have it mounted in the rack already.. Will be going through the motions of initial hook-up, Crestron Integration, Room Correction, and will provide feedback on 4K pass through capability as I've also upgraded to the new Sony 600 ES 4K projector as well. Exciting times to come in the next days and weeks. Stay tuned!

Congrats on your CB4 AND new Sony 4k projector. I think you will be very, very happy!!@@@

As you upgraded to the new Sony projector, what was your prior projector?

How wide is your screen for your video?????

What are your room dimensions?

As you now have the CB4, what did you use for SSP before?

I know you will be most happy with your new toys!!@@@
bigbrother52 likes this.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #3 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Always regretted not getting my CBIII in black. I might ask about getting it changed from silver, especially since part of the tower needs to be swapped out for the IV upgrade anyway.

Great setup, South Carolina! Just the thing for keeping you occupied over New Year smile.gif
post #4 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Very nice!

What a collection of new toys to start the New Year off with....enjoy.

TURN IT UP!
post #5 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Awesome! Look forward to the report. Did you own the CB3HD?

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #6 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraalphahotel View Post

Always regretted not getting my CBIII in black. I might ask about getting it changed from silver, especially since part of the tower needs to be swapped out for the IV upgrade anyway.

Great setup, South Carolina! Just the thing for keeping you occupied over New Year smile.gif

Thanks! Including the new amps and other stuff, it's a race to have the room updated before the superbowl party..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Congrats on your CB4 AND new Sony 4k projector. I think you will be very, very happy!!@@@

As you upgraded to the new Sony projector, what was your prior projector?

How wide is your screen for your video?????

What are your room dimensions?

As you now have the CB4, what did you use for SSP before?

I know you will be most happy with your new toys!!@@@

Screen is 180" diagonal. Picture is amazing and plenty bright enough on cinema 1 setting at least. Projector before was a panasonic cheap 720 resolution.. Wow what a difference.

Crestron Adagio was primary control and power..

Room is 17' x 33' or so....here's a link to the build http://www.avsforum.com/t/948256/room-size-17-x-33-with-176-diagonal-screen-x-9-seat-theater

Thanks! Look forward to reporting back the progress!

post #7 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

Awesome! Look forward to the report. Did you own the CB3HD?

I didn't - and never had heard one either... Craig is a great salesman and I researched a bunch on this forum prior to buying - With only a few exceptions, everyone seems to love Theta, so I figured I'd jump in..

post #8 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

I didn't - and never had heard one either... Craig is a great salesman and I researched a bunch on this forum prior to buying - With only a few exceptions, everyone seems to love Theta, so I figured I'd jump in..

First time user and you beat everyone else to have the very first CB IV on market? *Ahead* the 2 veterans S. Bruzonsky and BigBrother? Someone has some explaining to do tongue.gif.
Just kidding - congrats and enjoy your great new toy. 2 questions please:

What does the new manual look like please? Loose papers on a binder, or like a book? Does it have an index in the back?
2. When you put mode to stereo, sound comes out in 2 main speakers only?
3. And of course the million dollar question, what Dirac sounds like, but I suspect this one will take a while for you to determine.
Tell us more, asap!

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - the processor for music lovers. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 & 3914
Give vinyl and tube gears a try - the sound from heaven :-).
post #9 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks! Including the new amps and other stuff, it's a race to have the room updated before the superbowl party..

Screen is 180" diagonal. Picture is amazing and plenty bright enough on cinema 1 setting at least. Projector before was a panasonic cheap 720 resolution.. Wow what a difference.

Room is 17' x 33' or so....here's a link to the build http://www.avsforum.com/t/948256/room-size-17-x-33-with-176-diagonal-screen-x-9-seat-theater

Very nice!!@@@@@@@@@

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
post #10 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post

First time user and you beat everyone else to have the very first CB IV on market? *Ahead* the 2 veterans S. Bruzonsky and BigBrother? Someone has some explaining to do tongue.gif.
Just kidding - congrats and enjoy your great new toy. !

Hey, if I wanted a brand new unit, or if Bigbrother did, we could have been #1, too! HA!

I am glad for Mr "South Carolina". He will luv his CB4!!!@@@

Theta is ready to upgrade me except as my CB3 HD is black, they are waiting to get in the black faceplates. Mebbe at CES 2004 next week I'll bring a screwdriver and take theirs of their demo. HA!!@@tongue.gif

post #11 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

And I don't think you could have picked a better time to jump in. While CB III HD was the resuscitation of Theta from moribund & bankrupt status, CB IV is the full modernization with Theta at full strength, and with Dirac room correction, a complete solution and all I could ask for at this moment. The similarity with another iconic product and company, Porsche, is uncanny. Porsche was near death in early 90's and revived by release of a the new 996, by the 997 it was in full strength, and now with 991/Cayman/918, completely dominating the higher end of sports car market. I sure hope this is the direction Theta will follow.

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - the processor for music lovers. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 & 3914
post #12 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just kidding - congrats and enjoy your great new toy. 2 questions please:

What does the new manual look like please? Loose papers on a binder, or like a book? Does it have an index in the back?
2. When you put mode to stereo, sound comes out in 2 main speakers only?
3. And of course the million dollar question, what Dirac sounds like, but I suspect this one will take a while for you to determine.
Tell us more, asap!
Where back to the good ole days where new units shipped first. Then upgrade came after the new orders.

post #13 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

This is a very curious thing I've noticed about Theta. Seems like no one goes to their local dealer for sales/support. Why is that?
post #14 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mcintosh mates well with Theta. I have Mcintosh MC501s across the front. Sold my rear amps, was using MC252s and plan to upgrade to the MC601s for fronts. I see you are running the MC 1.2ks for the front and two 452 for rears. That's a lot of power, especially the front with Mac popping well over the 1200 watts a channel into 8ohm for the 1.2Ks! I run Mcintosh speakers as well, XR200 for front and WS350 inwalls, four, for surrounds. Don't have my gear set up right now for surround, just stereo. I'm using a Theta Gen VIII for the front left and right. Hope to soon be back up doing surround soon. Mcintosh gives a very smooth sound and wide sound stage with Theta gear. All of your amps are fully balanced and your Casablanca should be as well. What configuration did you go for, dacs? I see already that you're 7.1 channels.

I'm from Louisiana, New Orleans but live now in MS. Nice touch with the raise antebellum home. It's spectacular as is your theater! It's a hell of a show case for the first report on the Casablanca IV. A HELL OF A SHOW CASE!

post #15 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 06:56 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:

SC

Thank you very much for the kind words.

I cant agree more than black is super hot this year.. I dont know why but the CB4 in black is freaking stunning.. Not that Platinum isn't gorgeous as well but for some reason the Black with the new LED lights and is superb.

I am psyched to see Bigbrothers Cb4 as I think he is the only person with a Silver CB with Black buttons and its a real looker. Marc you will post some photos of your Cb4 as soon as your running, wont you ? I wonder what it would look like if you put a black tower on that thing with the black buttons ? Hmmmm

Craig
post #16 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 07:08 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777BigAnt777 View Post

This is a very curious thing I've noticed about Theta. Seems like no one goes to their local dealer for sales/support. Why is that?

Big

Local Theta Dealers are coming back my friend. For so many years when Neil Owned Theta and the CB was kind of stagnant Theta Dealers were not interested as the future was unknown. Now that Morris has brought it back to life watch and see how many dealers are going to sign up for this brand once again..

Its like this with every brand. Dealers want the brand when its hot.

Craig
post #17 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 07:12 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quote:

And I don't think you could have picked a better time to jump in. While CB III HD was the resuscitation of Theta from moribund & bankrupt status, CB IV is the full modernization with Theta at full strength, and with Dirac room correction, a complete solution and all I could ask for at this moment. The similarity with another iconic product and company, Porsche, is uncanny. Porsche was near death in early 90's and revived by release of a the new 996, by the 997 it was in full strength, and now with 991/Cayman/918, completely dominating the higher end of sports car market. I sure hope this is the direction Theta will follow.

Can

Happy new year my friend !!

You can bet on this ! You are 100% right with Porsche and look at Audi as well. Audi is on fire right now when years ago you wouldn't buy one if it was half price smile.gif

Its all ups and downs in this world and the Cb4 hopefully will prove to be an amazing success.

Thanks
Craig
post #18 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777BigAnt777 View Post

We have been, and continue to be a Theta Dealer on the West Coast, driving distance to the ATI/Theta Factory, since 1998. Just seems Craig is the Internet King. Norm
post #19 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post

SC

Thank you very much for the kind words.

I cant agree more than black is super hot this year.. I dont know why but the CB4 in black is freaking stunning.. Not that Platinum isn't gorgeous as well but for some reason the Black with the new LED lights and is superb.

I am psyched to see Bigbrothers Cb4 as I think he is the only person with a Silver CB with Black buttons and its a real looker. Marc you will post some photos of your Cb4 as soon as your running, wont you ? I wonder what it would look like if you put a black tower on that thing with the black buttons ? Hmmmm

Craig

If he wants a black tower he can get in line behind me. HA!!!@@@@biggrin.gif:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

post #20 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 10:14 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post

We have been, and continue to be a Theta Dealer on the West Coast, driving distance to the ATI/Theta Factory, since 1998. Just seems Craig is the Internet King. Norm

Norm

There is room for all of us and I hope you have a happy and successful new year !!

Your support is awesome and I wish all theta dealers stood behind the brand like you and I have !!

Craig
post #21 of 182 Old 12-31-2013, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Norm

There is room for all of us and I hope you have a happy and successful new year !!

Your support is awesome and I wish all theta dealers stood behind the brand like you and I have !!

Craig

Happy New Year to all Theta Customers, Dealers, and all AVS Members. Regards, Norm
post #22 of 182 Old 01-01-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 334

So, it's possible to match a black tower with the platinum body for the CB4?  I'm EXTREMELY interested in this.  

post #23 of 182 Old 01-01-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
South Carolina, congrats! Love that third input name... smile.gif

Craig, any update on the silver upgrade kits?

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
post #24 of 182 Old 01-01-2014, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Projector before was a panasonic cheap 720 resolution.. Wow what a difference.

LOL...sounds like me! PT-AE700 is what I have shoved under a sink cabinet because I'm too embarrassed to take it out!!!! The panels are browning, it's infected with green dust blobs, and the lamp is so dim it doesn't matter anyways! It's going in the giveaway box!

Congrats on the new CIV!!!!
post #25 of 182 Old 01-01-2014, 09:24 AM

Nice unit, but for $30k i prefer by far a Datasat RS20i for $20k...
post #26 of 182 Old 01-01-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Theta dealers are coming BACK! We have never had so much interest in a new product for HT. Almost all of our Theta customers have put in for the CBIV upgrade and are just awaiting notice. Once the reviews are in and we've had some time to do demos, I fully expect strong sales for the CBIV.

(Now if I could I'd bring our demo unit to CES and upgrade it there!)

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
post #27 of 182 Old 01-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can

Happy new year my friend !!

You can bet on this ! You are 100% right with Porsche and look at Audi as well. Audi is on fire right now when years ago you wouldn't buy one if it was half price smile.gif

Its all ups and downs in this world and the Cb4 hopefully will prove to be an amazing success.

Thanks
Craig

Craig, happy and healthy new year to you, and of course, to everyone at Ultra High End forum. Yep I am not surprised at all with Audi & Porsche's success, Audi is on the upswing for sure but Porsche's lineup, 991/Cayman/918, is absolutely, positively ON FIRE.

Why the success? IMHO, Theta and Porsche are both iconic products that have been refined over many years; because it's a refinement and not a total new design, engineers could concentrate effort on only a few parts each time, so that over many generations, all the parts achieve perfection.

Both companies also concentrate on components that are not glamorous but insiders know are utterly critical to quality. For example, for Theta it's the power supply and analog output stage design (David Reich's strength). When I first lifted the Theta Casablanca I noticed one side of the rear would sag, and then found out that's the weight of the power supply! Very unusual for a preamp to do this. For Porsche, it's the steering feel and brake, both regular and PCCB being best in class. BTW, if you ever wonder what it feels like to be stopped by the hands of God cool.gif, drive a Porsche with PCCB brake. It could be a life changing event. tongue.gif

Regards, Can
post #28 of 182 Old 01-02-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefTheater View Post

Nice unit, but for $30k i prefer by far a Datasat RS20i for $20k...

A perfectly healthy position to take, as the RS20i is a great unit, but I think most Theta Owners are also music lovers.  The RS20i was designed to be the end-all/be-all Home Theater processor, while the Theta Casablanca 4 has the DACs and analog volume control that give us what we want for music while also sailing through movies. Does the Theta give up anything in HT performance in comparison to the RS20i?  Only people who have heard both can say for sure.  Now, what I'd LOVE to see is a head-to-head comparison of audio quality after Dirac in both the CB4 and the RS20i.  That would be an epic showdown. When I get my CB4 upgrade, maybe I can find an RS20i owner close to DC to do such a comparison.

post #29 of 182 Old 01-02-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

A perfectly healthy position to take, as the RS20i is a great unit, but I think most Theta Owners are also music lovers.  The RS20i was designed to be the end-all/be-all Home Theater processor, while the Theta Casablanca 4 has the DACs and analog volume control that give us what we want for music while also sailing through movies. Does the Theta give up anything in HT performance in comparison to the RS20i?  Only people who have heard both can say for sure.  Now, what I'd LOVE to see is a head-to-head comparison of audio quality after Dirac in both the CB4 and the RS20i.  That would be an epic showdown. When I get my CB4 upgrade, maybe I can find an RS20i owner close to DC to do such a comparison.

Dan Francis has reviewed here the RS20i and as he has also been a Theta dealer (at least in the past), I would think he will get a CB4 and let us know what he thinks!!@@biggrin.gif

post #30 of 182 Old 01-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I know Cineramax thinks the theta cb3 with sup dacs and RS20i sound very similar. Both are superb units. Nothing to fault with either really IMO.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page