Lexicon's new MC-14, what's the scoop, a re-badged Bryston? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-13-2014, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I just stumbled onto some info from Harman that they will be releasing a SSP this April for $10,500 US called the MC-14. Anyone see this at CES? It doesn't sound very impressive from the what I can see in the press info on their website, http://www.lexicon.com/News/Story/133

I guess the big question is, is this a rebadged Bryston SP3, just like JBL is doing? I see no mention of Logic 7 let alone Quantum Logic and it appears to be limited to 7.1. Definitely not cutting edge stuff like we would expect of the Lexicon of years past.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-13-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 633
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510093/the-unofficial-ces-2014-thread-for-20k-hangers-lurkers/30#post_24196962

Sanjay
post #3 of 13 Old 01-13-2014, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks

post #4 of 13 Old 02-21-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Think it is safe to say Lexicon is dead, not looking like they are ever going to produce a modern NEW Pre/Pro like previous MC models.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-27-2014, 01:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow.

IMHO this is a step DOWN from the MC-12HDEQ in most ways. No automatic room equalization/EQ DSP daughterboard, no Logic7, no multiple-sub outputs, less setup/input flexibility...

Other than decoding the new audio formats (which my BD player does and sends as 7.1 LPCM - and which I'd rather have my BD player do anyway)...what does this add? It certainly takes away a few things. frown.gif

I'd MUCH rather keep my MC-12BHDEQ.

I could add an outboard video processor / scaler / switcher that supports 4K, and even a high-end analog preamp with bypass (like one of the Parasounds) for music...and be WAY ahead in flexibility and features - and likely on par (or better) in sound quality all things considered (e.g. when room EQ is factored in).

It would be a tiny bit more complicated with three components instead of one - but overall it would be several thousand dollars cheaper, better in many ways, and more future-proof than "upgrading" to the MC14.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-27-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscCollector View Post

IMHO this is a step DOWN from the MC-12HDEQ in most ways. No automatic room equalization/EQ DSP daughterboard, no Logic7, no multiple-sub outputs, less setup/input flexibility...
Indeed, rather than letting the brand fade away, Harman is keeping the Lexicon label alive by doing the opposite of what they historically specialized in (i.e., for a brand that used to come up with their own leading edge surround processing, the MC-14 offers decade-old surround processing licensed from other companies).

Sanjay
post #7 of 13 Old 03-27-2014, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Indeed, rather than letting the brand fade away, Harman is keeping the Lexicon label alive by doing the opposite of what they historically specialized in (i.e., for a brand that used to come up with their own leading edge surround processing, the MC-14 offers decade-old surround processing licensed from other companies).

Sad, as they were cutting edge back in the day. But then again, so was the Palm Pilot.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Harman obviously are thinking about things differently. I think the need for a new pre-pro came from the Synthesis side, and since all the magic happens in the separate DSP box I guess they did the math and worked out it wasn't worth the money to develop a new pre-pro as they wouldn't sell enough units to make it worthwhile.

The MC12 is a PITA to set up due to the vast number of settings. I'm sure even their dealers screwed up a lot of installs. I did a calibration on one the other day and the limiter on the LFE had been set by the dealer to 75dB, and the client was wondering for all these years why there was no bass (and he's had the MC12 for a long time!).

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-27-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

I think the need for a new pre-pro came from the Synthesis side, and since all the magic happens in the separate DSP box I guess they did the math and worked out it wasn't worth the money to develop a new pre-pro as they wouldn't sell enough units to make it worthwhile.
Unfortunately, the separate DSP box does room correction, not surround processing. And that's fine for the Synthesis branded version, but makes no sense for the Lexicon label (considering what that company specialized in historically). A better fit would have been their Levinson brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

The MC12 is a PITA to set up due to the vast number of settings. I'm sure even their dealers screwed up a lot of installs. I did a calibration on one the other day and the limiter on the LFE had been set by the dealer to 75dB, and the client was wondering for all these years why there was no bass (and he's had the MC12 for a long time!).
We have different experiences setting up a MC-12. For calibration, I spread 4 mics across my couch, push a button on the remote and walk away. The subwoofer limiter is set to Off by default. No reason to touch it unless your subs are bottoming out. Most of the other vast number of settings can also be left to their defaults. The Logic7 modes do allow users to adjust parameters in order to tailor the surround processing to their taste. I wouldn't consider that flexibility a PITA. YMMV.

Sanjay
post #10 of 13 Old 03-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Unfortunately, the separate DSP box does room correction, not surround processing. And that's fine for the Synthesis branded version, but makes no sense for the Lexicon label (considering what that company specialized in historically). A better fit would have been their Levinson brand.
We have different experiences setting up a MC-12. For calibration, I spread 4 mics across my couch, push a button on the remote and walk away. The subwoofer limiter is set to Off by default. No reason to touch it unless your subs are bottoming out. Most of the other vast number of settings can also be left to their defaults. The Logic7 modes do allow users to adjust parameters in order to tailor the surround processing to their taste. I wouldn't consider that flexibility a PITA. YMMV.

We did not use the auto room EQ, we used an outboard EQ. I probably should have done a factory reset (if such a thing is possible) before I started calibrating the unit! Lesson learned for next time.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-28-2014, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

This has been my experience exactly. I found the MC12 with room EQ simple to set-up, I often wish I had not have sold it.
sdurani likes this.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-29-2014, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
If anyone is still interested i have an MC-12HD with EQ and I even have the Lex Mic kit also....for sale. Just PM me....its collecting dust in my HT room.

Works perfect and is in excellent shape.

Thanks
post #13 of 13 Old 04-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
DiscCollector......I sent you and email.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page