The Unofficial Bruzonsky Aerial & JL Audio Upgraditis Thread! - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 188 Old 05-30-2015, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 19,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky
Over a month ago picked up two used Theta Gen VIII Series 3 DACs, so now have three of them for 5.1 channels, and use a DH Labs Silver Sonic analog balanced splitter from the Theta CB4 SSP to my two JL Audio f212 subwoofers. Less than two weeks my new Media Server arrived, a CAPSv4 Pipeline as sold by Small Green Computer with an outboard HDPlex linear power supply. Now I use my prior CAPS3 Zuma (modded with larger case and an added Sapphire/ATI video card for multi-channel audio) only for multi-channel. On two channel, the CAPSv4 Pipeline is even much better than what I had luved with my CAPS3! Appreciably quieter, one can turn up the volume on the CB4 "higher and higher". Drums, bass, everything simply clearly sounds better. Bottom line is the CAPSv4 has appreciably less power consumption and EMI/noise thus that cleaner background and greater dynamics. I played several recent jazz recordings all in hi rez - "Jazz Funk Soul"; "Hacienda" by Jeff Lorber Fusion; and two albums by David Chesky and the New Harmonic Jazz. Oh - also an old but goodie Billy Cobham album and the improvement in dynamics is beyond what I could have expected. Don't get me wrong - the CAPSv3 has been terrific for stereo - but once one hears the CAPS4 Pipeline, one cannot go backwards!
For two channel now I almost always listen with the CB4 in multi-channel DTS Neo6! I have matching top dog speakers (Aerial 7t), monoblock amps (Theta Prometheus),
and DACs (Theta Gen VIII Series 3) at each channel including subwoofer, and I am finding that the "extra" extrapolated speakers only enhance the otherwise two channel presentation without taking away!!@@@
Yesterday and this AM finished recalibrating audio/speaker levels in my sytem. This is pre-Dirac. Will recalibrate with Dirac in near future.

In the past, I had calculated delays for all of my CBIV audio modes based on speaker & subwoofer distance from the front center row (two rows, front row three leather recliners, back row two leather recliners, with the front center recliner and the back left recliner having “me” or whoever is sitting there right in front of the front center Aerial 7t or right in the center of the front & surround left and right Aerial 7ts). But I have found that I like watching DirecTV at center front, but I like listening to music at the back left. And sometimes I like watching blu ray movies from the back left, too. So I thought – why not setup CBIV modes with calibrating “delay” and “level” for the speakers for both the front center and back left (again, only two recliners in back row, and the left is actually in the center of speakers from left to right)? So I did.

In the past, I have preferred using DTS Neo 6 for converting my media server USB 2 channel music (which I have set at 80 Hz 24 dB crossover and I always use my subs for 2 channel and every other music, movie and tv source in my system) into multi-channel. But now, after the above recalibrations, and with my new CAPSv4 Pipeline 2Ch music server being clearly more dynamic than my CAPSv3 modded Zuma music server, I find that there is a loss of dynamics using those modes. But I find that “Special Matrix” is simply wonderful to derive multi-channel from 2 channel music! No loss of dynamics at all. In order to always be able to on the fly compare 2 channel USB vs derived multi-channel using “Special Matrix”, using my Radio Shack analog sound level meter, I listened and raised the 2 channel (plus subwoofer) CBIV source up by 5 dB for each speaker & subwoofer level. Its obvious that I have noticed the loss of dynamics using the Dolby and DTS modes due to (1) now having three Gen VIII DACs for all channels, not just front left and right; (2) new CAPSV4Pipeline music server simply more dynamic than the CAPSv3 modded Zuma music server for stereo; and (3) my setting speaker distance and levels for the left back row (actually center as noted above).

I like to use the start of the blu ray movie “Prometheus” to hear and evaluate bass on my system for movies! WOW! Interesting I found the bass overall not as loud as before. But the bass is deeper, more musical, and so much more REAL! When the spaceship is hovering over the waterfall, I now hear the waterfall like when I visited Niagara Falls some years ago! I’ve always liked the back row for movies, liking the bass I would feel and hear – bass is great in the front row, but even better in the back row. Now that I have made a source setting for the CBIV based on my position at left back row (actually center as discussed above), with the proper speaker delays for that position, I found that the subwoofer speaker level for the back is quite a bit higher than the front, so I lowered the back subwoofer level to about equal the other speakers. And the result in doing this that I can really hear my system in all its glory!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 188 Old 05-31-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Rod#S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
My bet knowing Theta is that the new Extreme D-3 DACs will sound great and appreciably better than the current top line Extreme D-2 DACs. But, the outboard Generation VIII Series 3 DAC is still a different beast, given its size, weight, other electronics, power supply, etc. So I sti/Aurll be on the Gen VIII which is why I have three of them. Nonetheless my bet is that the Gen VIII still sounds better. However, as far as internal DACs to a SSP go, currently the Extreme D-2s are the best out there; and the Extreme D-3s I'm sure will sound appreciably better. As for whether one gets "pretty close", really, that depends on your room and system, acoustic treatments, your use (movies/tv vs audio), and your own subjective listening ability/slills/perception. Theta's announcement of the new Extreme D-3 DACs I think temporarily lowered the used price for a
Gen VIII - but I think that's temporary because folks with real high end systems who are Theta luvers will realize that the Gen VIII gives you the absolute best sound from a SSP period! Of course, I am prejudiced as I have three Gen VIIIs!

Good points and you will probably be right. I suppose though a good % of what makes the Gen VIII so expensive is because it's not simply a DAC but a pre as well but still due to it's separate box solution there is simply more room to implement additional components that make up the DAC network.

Rod#S is offline  
post #183 of 188 Old 11-12-2015, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Class A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Steve I know your a big Aerial guy. I just posted some pictures of the new Aerial On/Wall In/Wall 7LCR on the Aerial thread. Michael Kelly stopped by AV Therapy in Nashua NH yesterday and dropped off the first speakers yesterday.
Class A is offline  
post #184 of 188 Old 11-13-2015, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 19,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Steve I know your a big Aerial guy. I just posted some pictures of the new Aerial On/Wall In/Wall 7LCR on the Aerial thread. Michael Kelly stopped by AV Therapy in Nashua NH yesterday and dropped off the first speakers yesterday.
Cool! I am considering 4 ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos, Auro 3D - but the new Aerial 5ts are per Michael Kelly not really designed to be mounted on/real close to wall, and although the new 7LCRs are designed for on or in wall, that's a lot of $$ and overkill for ceiling Atmos/Auro 3D speakers!@@@ So I am pondering if and what to do. I wish Aerial would come out with a 5LCR for on or in wall designed specifically with Atmos/Auro 3D in mind!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #185 of 188 Old 11-13-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Los Angeles Lakers :)
Posts: 1,401
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Cool! I am considering 4 ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos, Auro 3D - but the new Aerial 5ts are per Michael Kelly not really designed to be mounted on/real close to wall, and although the new 7LCRs are designed for on or in wall, that's a lot of $$ and overkill for ceiling Atmos/Auro 3D speakers!@@@ So I am pondering if and what to do. I wish Aerial would come out with a 5LCR for on or in wall designed specifically with Atmos/Auro 3D in mind!
Agreed. I don't have any plan of hanging heavy and too-expensive speakers on ceiling either and I hope Aerial will eventually release something appropriate. IMHO 2 important parameters that you might want to keep in mind when selecting ceiling speakers are that one, at least the high frequency driver should be aimable towards hot seat, either by angled baffle or by moveable, aimable tweeter, and two, to have good sound quality and keep crossover 80 hz or below to prevent listeners' localization of low frequency info, the bass driver should ideally be 6 inch or larger.

2 examples of in-ceiling audiophile speakers with aim-able tweeter are Revel C783 Here and B&W CCM682 Here, both have 8 inch mid/bass driver and I actually am using the B&W. Both reasonably cheap at around 800-1000 per pair. In my low-ceiling hometheater, I prefer the in-ceiling type to keep the room looking a little neater.

Regards, Can
My System & CBIII HD Mini-review Theta Casablanca - the processor for music lovers: stunning 3D soundstage and imaging; rich, full sound; off-the-chart dynamic range!
High-End Speaker Impressions & 3D Audio Comments Give vinyl and tube preamp a try, then let a tube amp complete the fantastic audio "journey" :-).
Casablanca Setup Help & Wish List

Last edited by cannga; 11-13-2015 at 01:15 PM.
cannga is offline  
post #186 of 188 Old 11-13-2015, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 19,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Agreed. I don't have any plan of hanging heavy and too-expensive speakers on ceiling either and I hope Aerial will eventually release something appropriate. IMHO 2 important parameters that you might want to keep in mind when selecting ceiling speakers are that one, at least the high frequency driver should be aimable towards hot seat, either by angled baffle or by moveable, aimable tweeter, and two, to have good sound quality and keep crossover 80 hz or below to prevent listeners' localization of low frequency info, the bass driver should ideally be 6 inch or larger.

2 examples of in-ceiling audiophile speakers with aim-able tweeter are Revel C783 Here and B&W CCM682 Here, both have 8 inch mid/bass driver and I actually am using the B&W. Both reasonably cheap at around 800-1000 per pair. In my low-ceiling hometheater, I prefer the in-ceiling type to keep the room looking a little neater.
Actually, VGI/Craig Shumer strongly recommends KEF in ceiling speakers with Uni-Q driver which I believe retail in the $500 to less than $1000 range. and as you say they are aimable! Craig was just telling me recently about an Aerial owner who has done this and how great it sounded! I was very impressed the other week listening to the KEF Blade 2 stereo pair with Uni-Q driver array! Not sure which particular speaker Craig was singin' about! http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/...tml#filter=197

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #187 of 188 Old 11-13-2015, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Los Angeles Lakers :)
Posts: 1,401
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Actually, VGI/Craig Shumer strongly recommends KEF in ceiling speakers with Uni-Q driver which I believe retail in the $500 to less than $1000 range. and as you say they are aimable! Craig was just telling me recently about an Aerial owner who has done this and how great it sounded! I was very impressed the other week listening to the KEF Blade 2 stereo pair with Uni-Q driver array! Not sure which particular speaker Craig was singin' about! http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/...tml#filter=197

Why do I have this feeling the KEF Blade 2 is in your NEAR future? YOLO Steve...

I can't seem to find an aimable speaker among the site you listed? Maybe this, under "motorised," & seems to be at around $1500/pair, KEF - Ci200.3QT Motorized In-Ceiling Speaker - 2 way with 8 inch mid/bass driver:
http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/...tml#filter=198

Regards, Can
My System & CBIII HD Mini-review Theta Casablanca - the processor for music lovers: stunning 3D soundstage and imaging; rich, full sound; off-the-chart dynamic range!
High-End Speaker Impressions & 3D Audio Comments Give vinyl and tube preamp a try, then let a tube amp complete the fantastic audio "journey" :-).
Casablanca Setup Help & Wish List

Last edited by cannga; 11-13-2015 at 03:43 PM.
cannga is offline  
post #188 of 188 Old 11-13-2015, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 19,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Why do I have this feeling the KEF Blade 2 is in your NEAR future? YOLO Steve...

I can't seem to find an aimable speaker among the site you listed? Maybe this, under "motorised," & seems to be at around $1500/pair, KEF - Ci200.3QT Motorized In-Ceiling Speaker - 2 way with 8 inch mid/bass driver:
http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/...tml#filter=198
Blade 2? Love 'em. But my theatre room with Michael Green Pressure Zone Controllers is set up and adjusted for Aerial full range speakers ever since I started out with Aerial 10ts back in 1997. Moving to Blade 2s would require a lot of setup and readjustment work, not up for this now. My 7ts sound great. And the Blade 2s are much taller, too. I am working hard to ignore how great the Blade 2s sounded and to be happy with my 7ts so long as I continue to own this home, for at least a few more years!

As for which in-ceiling KEF model, need to check with VGI/Craig Shumer on this.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off