Datasat LS10 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 230 Old 02-11-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Is it just me or does it seem like the LS10 should have at least included Audyssey as a budget room correction option. Going to a system with no room correction at all and only a 10 band parametric EQ seems pretty old-school at this point.

You would use the parametric to do what... Just adjust for your main listening position?

This unit would need to fairly cheap since it offers very little besides improved signal to noise ratio (total speculation) when compared to something like the marantz 8801.

I keep trying to convince myself of a precise reason for this product. Maybe if 2.4 channel signal to noise ratio was crazy good...?

Blazar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 230 Old 02-11-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yes. The Emotiva UMC-200 even has 11 parametric EQ per channel (except two rears) and it only costs about 600.
post #93 of 230 Old 02-11-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

You would use the parametric to do what... Just adjust for your main listening position?
If that's the only seat you care about, then yes. Otherwise find problems that are common to multiple listening positions, so that when you EQ them it benefits multiple listeners.

Sanjay
post #94 of 230 Old 02-11-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

If that's the only seat you care about, then yes. Otherwise find problems that are common to multiple listening positions, so that when you EQ them it benefits multiple listeners.

I get that but i find it hard enough to fix the main sitting position and adjustments to the other seats leads to new problems at the listening position. The permutations for subwoofer placement, phase and distance adjsutment, listening position adjustment, and parametric EQ adjustment are nearly infnite it seems...

To me, the days of doing this manually seem long gone in favor of algorithms that are more consistently going to help you solve the maximum number of seating position problems.

Honestly even after running audyssey, bass response can be so-so with serious nulls in a variety of areas away from the main listening position.

Blazar!
post #95 of 230 Old 02-11-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To me, the days of doing this manually seem long gone in favor of algorithms that are more consistently going to help you solve the maximum number of seating position problems.
The only algorithm I've seen to maximize consistency across multiple seats is SFM from Harman. Otherwise, room correction systems look for common problems across various seats.
Quote:

Honestly even after running audyssey, bass response can be so-so with serious nulls in a variety of areas away from the main listening position.
Place your subs in those nulls to reduce room modes. The peaks & dips created by those modes will be minimized across the entire room (i.e., at all listening positions).

Sanjay
post #96 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

If a company like Datasat would think that room correction was necessary on this device they would have put it at least as an option on the new LS10.

And doesn't seem so impossible to get that as an option in a near future to the ones that require it. The Auro 3D is purely software also.

Now i think we cannot compare Emotiva, Denon, Marantz or any of those brands with Datasat. 

post #97 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReferenceCo View Post

Now i think we cannot compare Emotiva, Denon, Marantz or any of those brands with Datasat. 

In my opinion announcing an SSP in 2014 with only PEQ appears to,be a very strange decision. Based upon 20 years of experience with time domain based room correction, I would much rather own a Denon or Marantz with Audyssey X32 than this new Datasat with PEQ. .... But that's just me!

R 8:28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #98 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 06:10 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You guys seem to be missing the selling point of the LS10, and that's 3D- Auro, period. While 3D- Auro is software based the hardware requirements are between 9.1 and 13.1 output. No other processor except the RS20I, and the Storm Audio processors offer this. Do I believe this feature is absurdly over priced? absolutely yes.
post #99 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

You guys seem to be missing the selling point of the LS10, and that's 3D- Auro, period. While 3D- Auro is software based the hardware requirements are between 9.1 and 13.1 output. No other processor except the RS20I, and the Storm Audio processors offer this. Do I believe this feature is absurdly over priced? absolutely yes.

Maybe a little overpriced from the costumer point of view, but when experienced, it's just amazing! Datasat, in my opinion, is "The Processor".

post #100 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

Datasat, in my opinion, is "The Processor".

With Dirac you very well may be correct.

R 8:28

post #101 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

With Dirac you very well may be correct.

Agree! But in the price range of the LS10 there is nothing that will compete with that level of quality, unless the new Storm Audio SSP 12. I am waiting until May to check it out.

post #102 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Dirac is just the icing on the cake. Even without Dirac the RS20i is better than all other processors I've had in my room and by quite a long margin. Including classe ssp 800, bryston sp3, Ada crm4 with Trinnov.

I would be very interested to hear it against the new Theta CB4.
post #103 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post

Dirac is just the icing on the cake. Even without Dirac the RS20i is better than all other processors I've had in my room and by quite a long margin. Including classe ssp 800, bryston sp3, Ada crm4 with Trinnov.

I would be very interested to hear it against the new Theta CB4.

With the due respect for Theta, it's not the same...

Datasat makes the remix for a major ammount of reference movies, these guys know what they do very well.

A Theta CBIV, or a Krell 707 for example might be good processors, but the DNA it's not the same, not at all!

post #104 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

With the due respect for Theta, it's not the same...
Datasat makes the remix for a major ammount of reference movies, these guys know what they do very well.
A Theta CBIV, or a Krell 707 for example might be good processors, but the DNA it's not the same, not at all!

That is exactly why I have been the proud owner of an RS20i for the past year and now an RA7300 to pair with it. And soon enough a second 7300 to replace the last 3 Ada 2502 amps for my 13.4 system.

I have been in Datasats HQ in UK and watched them mixing down analogue sound tracks for analogue movies ( now redundant ) and it's their ethos and upgrade paths that obviously helped me in my discision. Auro 3D upgrade was first mentioned to me in August of 2012 along with some other exciting upgrades that I really hope come to fruition.
post #105 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:

That is exactly why I have been the proud owner of an RS20i for the past year and now an RA7300 to pair with it. And soon enough a second 7300 to replace the last 3 Ada 2502 amps for my 13.4 system.

I have been in Datasats HQ in UK and watched them mixing down analogue sound tracks for analogue movies ( now redundant ) and it's their ethos and upgrade paths that obviously helped me in my discision. Auro 3D upgrade was first mentioned to me in August of 2012 along with some other exciting upgrades that I really hope come to fruition.

You made a wise choice, congrats! You are the proud owner of the best sound on the planet! 

I always say, if you want Cinema sound go Datasat. There are excellent brands, but are they the same? Do they provide that impact, the live, the clarity you are looking for? NO!

So don't confuse Hi Fi brands with Cinema brands, it's a different tournament!

post #106 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You made a wise choice, congrats! You are the proud owner of the best sound on the planet! 
I always say, if you want Cinema sound go Datasat. There are excellent brands, but are they the same? Do they provide that impact, the live, the clarity you are looking for? NO!
So don't confuse Hi Fi brands with Cinema brands, it's a different tournament!

Theta were one of the reasons I went for the Datasat. When Datasat created the RS20i they basically sent their AP20 to theta and got them to pimp it up to audiophile standards. Same with the RA7300 they contact Morris from ATI ( owner of Theta Digital ) and asked him to make his best design amp so far, and that's exactly what he did with the amazing RA7300.

The RS20i and the RA7300 are a match made in heaven. The speed of the amps along with the supreme processing of the RS20i makes for a seriously punchy, highly resolved, incredibly neutral and very refined and immersive sound field.

With the LS10 supposedly sounding the same as the RS20i means people can have a choice of DIgital Room Correction without making the internal Dirac of the RS20i redundant.

I think the LS10 is a bit of a bargain, ESP when you compare if to the same priced Bryston SP3!
post #107 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:

Theta were one of the reasons I went for the Datasat. When Datasat created the RS20i they basically sent their AP20 to theta and got them to pimp it up to audiophile standards. Same with the RA7300 they contact Morris from ATI ( owner of Theta Digital ) and asked him to make his best design amp so far, and that's exactly what he did with the amazing RA7300.

The RS20i and the RA7300 are a match made in heaven. The speed of the amps along with the supreme processing of the RS20i makes for a seriously punchy, highly resolved, incredibly neutral and very refined and immersive sound field.

With the LS20i supposedly sounding the same as the RS20i means people can have a choice of DIgital Room Correction without making the internal Dirac of the RS20i redundant.

I think the LS20i is a bit of a bargain, ESP when you compare if to the same priced Bryston SP3!

When you say LS20...you mean LS10 right?

djnickuk likes this.
post #108 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry, yes indeed. LS10. Post edited. Well spotted.
post #109 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 07:19 AM

We are making several auditions to costumers, to clients who had Classe SSP800, Denon AVP, whatever and they are very pleased with the results.

I see nothing in the new LS10, but sucess!

The RS20i sells well, but since it's in another price range, not as well as the requests we are having for the LS10.

post #110 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 07:27 AM

Liked: 34
Quote:

Thanks for the kind words! One point of clarification, though - while the amplifier design was largely done by Morris Kessler and his team at ATI, the RS20i was designed and engineered completely in-house. One of our engineers worked for Theta several years ago, which is I think how that meme came about, but the RS20i was created wholly by the Datasat engineering team.
djnickuk likes this.
post #111 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post

Thanks for the kind words! One point of clarification, though - while the amplifier design was largely done by Morris Kessler and his team at ATI, the RS20i was designed and engineered completely in-house. One of our engineers worked for Theta several years ago, which is I think how that meme came about, but the RS20i was created wholly by the Datasat engineering team.

Thanks for the clarification, Daniel.

Do you know if you guys plan on implementing Dirac Unity on the RS20i? And also any news on the Dirac Live V2?
post #112 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post

Datasat knows very well what they do, and i tank you for that confirmation.

post #113 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If a company like Datasat would think that room correction was necessary on this device they would have put it at least as an option on the new LS10.
And doesn't seem so impossible to get that as an option in a near future to the ones that require it. The Auro 3D is purely software also.

No company or their decision is beyond crticism / critique. I could understand a less upgradable (cards) device for a lower price point...

In either case, is a price in $ announced yet? I would be willing to consider outboard subwoofer equilization (like a behringer) and leave off room correction in the higher octaves if the sound quality was otherwise as good or better than their flagship. The pricing would need to be quite reasonable however... The neighborhood of $6000-$8000 is about as much as i can fathom paying since i can't do auro 3d with my setup already built for 11.2 DTSNEO/audyssey.

Blazar!
post #114 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

You guys seem to be missing the selling point of the LS10, and that's 3D- Auro, period.
Then why do they ship the LS10 without Auro, question mark?

Sanjay
post #115 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Datasat knows very well what they do, and i tank you for that confirmation.
Why are you not posting under your RefTheater user account?

Sanjay
post #116 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 10:08 AM
J.P

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Datasat LS10 sounds like a great product.

But what about future "4k-BluRay" and the other sound format that will likely follow(besides Auro3D)
When the time comes, can the LS10 be upgraded to include Atmos ?
post #117 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Why are you not posting under your RefTheater user account?

Sorry? I don't understand!

post #118 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post

Datasat LS10 sounds like a great product.

But what about future "4k-BluRay" and the other sound format that will likely follow(besides Auro3D)
When the time comes, can the LS10 be upgraded to include Atmos ?

There is alot to be explored in 1080p yet, 4k only makes sense for larger screens, not TV's as many people think.

post #119 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry? I don't understand!
The similar user name, avatar and consistent misspelling of one particular word make it obvious that you are RefTheater. I was just curious why you're no longer using that user name. Tanks.

Sanjay
post #120 of 230 Old 02-12-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:

The similar user name, avatar and consistent misspelling of one particular word make it obvious that you are RefTheater. I was just curious why you're no longer using that user name. Tanks.

I don't have time for this crap. Misspelling?!!:rolleyes: This is a Datasat topic, not about dictionary, and second the check of your offenses do not have coverage in my indifference Bank, ok?

What a JOKE! Reftheater!!! Get a grip!

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page