2Likes

post #91 of 138 Old 03-14-2014, 10:50 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I really love the idea of a seperate HDMI input decoder box. They could leave the Altitude as is, and have an option for a seperate decoder box, I would be first in line to buy the decode box for my MC16.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 138 Old 03-14-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

yeah mine is about 16 x 29 x 10 and I have trouble envisioning how I would get more than the 7.4 I have in there right now. Maybe a "voice of God" channel but otherwise I can't really see how it would be done.

From somebody's "real world today" . . . although NOT from mine!
Quote:

There are no direct references to either speaker (Azimuth|Elevation) angles or planned max SPL in this 1/9/2014 article in Residential Systems (link), "HomeTronics Designs First Home Theater for Voice of God Audio System", which includes some details of a "28.12" (speakers) high-end home setup for Auro-3D (and presumably with relevance to other future 3Daudio formats). However, the included 'Side Elevation' drawing (link) lets us infer some considerations which may have influenced speaker placement decisions:
  • All front and surround middle layer speakers lie in one flat plane tilted to accommodate the pitch of the stadium style seating.
  • Front height layer speakers are placed near the top of the display.
  • Side and rear surround height layer speakers all lie in one horizontal plane somewhat below the ceiling, and are tilted downward.
  • The 6 VOG speakers are centered approx half way between the front and rear walls.
  • You can never have too many sub woofers!

And from a trade show, industry's idea of how the "future real world" should look!
Quote:
The NHK-JEITA 8K4K TV exhibit at CEATEC Japan 2012 appears intended to show the room geometry feasibility of including an SHV display plus 22.2 speakers in an "average family living room" circa 2020. biggrin.gif

Note that the 22.2 speaker config at the show is apparently a "DSP processing" variation from the nominal Hamasaki 22.2 layout, occasioned by the need to apply "Dialogue Lift" compensation consequent to use of a direct view display . . . and the missing ceiling! eek.gif

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #93 of 138 Old 03-14-2014, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 60
As long as its not just a part to price gouge us with! I realize it would have a matching faceplate that would say Trinnov on it, but hopefully that wouldn't mean it needs to be another $2k or more.
post #94 of 138 Old 03-14-2014, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow that setup is... interesting... smile.gif

Honestly, I am not sure there is a lot of benefit in middle layer and upper layer surround speakers. I have not heard this, though, so I will reserve judgement of course.

I can certainly agree that having as many subs as you can calibrate is always great.

I have a traditional 3 fronts, 4 surrounds setup right now. I could see the benefit in some front wide channels (not sure where to even put those, though). Wouldn't they be angled to face the audience and not shooting from side to side as if they were a side surround? And I could see the benefit of a VOG speaker - maybe two to cover both rows. Beyond that... I just don't know. Maybe in a truly huge and high room, like 29 x 47 x 13.
post #95 of 138 Old 03-14-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Yeah maybe just one VOG speaker with wide dispersion horn is enough, i have fairly small listening area.

Blazar!
post #96 of 138 Old 03-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Just incase you have missed my share of this vid. Check it out, explains AUro in detail and explained VOG really isn't important for the immersive effect

http://youtu.be/6RjP-TDMxjA
post #97 of 138 Old 03-14-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:

I have a traditional 3 fronts, 4 surrounds setup right now.
For height speakers I would split the angles between your front & side speakers and side & rear speakers, and mount the height speakers at those locations as high up as possible.

Sanjay
post #98 of 138 Old 03-14-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh nice thought on splitting the difference on heights compared to surrounds. Looks like a great strategy.

Blazar!
post #99 of 138 Old 03-14-2014, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for that,... so for processors that don't "listen" for where the speaker is located like Trinnov does, would we still call those the height channels, even though they are sort of a height / wide channel?
post #100 of 138 Old 03-14-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

...for processors that don't "listen" for where the speaker is located like Trinnov does, would we still call those the height channels, even though they are sort of a height / wide channel?
If you're going to do height channels anyway, I think it is better to make their contributions more unique by placing them away from current speakers. Placing them directly above my current speakers (like the speaker set-up in the Auro video) makes those speakers sound taller (same directionality as before, just elevated). Which is fine for those subscribe to that approach, but I'd rather use it as an opportunity to fill in gaps in my current speaker layout.

Sanjay
post #101 of 138 Old 03-14-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Right... I was asking more whether to tell the processor if those speakers were height or wide channels. Seems like it would send the correct info to them better if they were called wide. I am not necessarily going to do either, but wide channels like you describe could be a possibility. In fact, I could use two more of the same soffit mounted Triad speakers that I use for surrounds. This would work well. Although they would be aimed across from each other. No way to change the angle in my room.
post #102 of 138 Old 03-14-2014, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
One thing that could be problematic is the the location of the main side and rear channel speakers. Do we keep them 3 ft above the listener or do we move them down in line with the front channels?
post #103 of 138 Old 03-14-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was asking more whether to tell the processor if those speakers were height or wide channels.
Do you want them playing back height channel info or wide channel info?

If I wanted them playing back wide channel info, then I wouldn't place those speakers so high up, instead mounting them between front speaker and side speaker height.

Sanjay
post #104 of 138 Old 03-14-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Wides you would obviously want down low at same level of mains, we are mostly talking about adding a height /VOG layer to an existing 11 channel setup.

I seriously question the need for multiple speakers behind your screen unless your screen is staight up HUGE. Center/wide/height/mains create quite an image on my 160" screen already.

Blazar!
post #105 of 138 Old 03-15-2014, 04:58 AM

Liked: 12
Very interesting discussion about the need of additional channels. I had the opportunity to listen to an "iosono" processed sound system in a show installation some time ago and they worked with a large number of drivers/speakers with all channels actually being "virtual" channels, which must work similar to trinnov's 3d remapping. That system could position sources horizontally as well as vertically. I believed they called it wavefield synthesis. (Iosono sound website has details on their technology which is beyond my understanding) It sounded pretty impressive. I guess once that type of powerful processing is available to an non-commercial audience, thanks to a company like trinnov, we will need new speaker technology that is living room friendly to put all those drivers.
post #106 of 138 Old 04-19-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

Forgot to mention. Make sure processor has digital outs for those wanting to use outboard DACs. (of course, HDMI licensing will require downsampling for HDMI sources). Digi out feature will also allow seamless integration with top notch 2 channel, much like the theta digi out card into Gen V DAC offers.
I think you mean HDCP licensing for HDMI sources. HDMI would facilitate transfer without downsampling.

Also, looking at this document from USB.org, it appears to be clearing the way for USB devices to support HDCP. Link to PDF.
post #107 of 138 Old 05-18-2014, 01:17 PM

Just came back from The Munich High-End show which I understand for the first time was bigger then the one in Las Vegas.

Other then stereo systems at prices of 100,000 and up, for people with more money and given the sound in some cases potentially less taste then is healthy, there was a nice showing of Trinnov. So for those interested about some infos:

They had the Trinnov Altitude as a working unit on static display and even their very friendly CEO was on hand to answer questions and actively asking for what people were looking for in the product (codecs, software features) to the point of "would you pay more if more codecs were included". Compared to the product development of the "high-end audio" firms a very refreshing attitude.

So I understand the first batch of Altitude units has already or is just about to complete production. A release of finalized product information is targeted for June and product sale in September. The time until then I understand is used for some codec finalization and most importantly software testing. I also heard they do plan to surprise the audience a bit at the final release but could not wring out of him wheter this means Auro yes or no....
What he did say though is they are targeting this product to be fully ready for the object based audio types to come.

The unit will comes with a proper remote and infrared receiver as well, which is nice to hear for those folks not having an AMX/Crestron system on hand. I would not even have though about something like this but after realizing that on a Datasat without such system I would not even be able to change the volume I think it is nice to hear some companies do the product for consumers when they target it at consumers....
I also asked about cinema credentials and learned that Trinnov has been making good progress selling their DCI version cinema processor (i believe called ovation) into commercial cinemas in Europe. So while they surely may not be a Datasat size and history company it is great to see that they try hard to put strong products out in the whole range of markets.

On their microphone I understand there is the possibility to complement the trinnov 3d mic with 4 additional single microphones (simultaneously). Which would allow to measure in multiple positions of the room at the same time and complement the standard 3d mic. (I believe other system use multiple simultaneous microphones already)

Also they had their Trinnov Amethyst Stereo Preamp/Processor on demo and did a little "training" of how to operate, room measure, etc. using the unit and mic. The unit has a very nice user interface with a guided set-up process that is at least as well made and consumer friendly as the likes of Denon, etc.
But then if you are through the basic set-up you can go into advanced features and correction options that go much deeper (and complex for most). They confirmed their intention is to have similar quality menus in the Altitude.

On a superficial note the unit caswork looks simple but elegant. Rackmounts are available for those with racks. Pricing while not yet fully confirmed is nicely flexible due to the ability to take more or less channels. So if one only needs 8 no need to pay for 16 but if you need 32 that is possible. One can also add channels at later points in time.
post #108 of 138 Old 05-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Hey mate,

Great little write up. I really wish I could have attended. I have high hopes for the altitude. Did you hear the Auriga? Perhaps pm me.

Just a note about the Datasat and lack of remote. For $250 you can get a Celadon IR - RS232 converter that will allow you to control the RS20i with a hard button remote.
HamburgCity likes this.
post #109 of 138 Old 05-18-2014, 03:18 PM

Liked: 20

Thanks for the great write-up from Munich!   

A lot of development is going into the Altitude- to make it user friendly and future proof. One could start with the typical 7.1 of today while having the architecture to update to future audio formats with as many as 32 channels.  On the hardware side, additional channels are provided by adding I/O cards.  On the software side- remarkably,  the codecs will be decoded in the PC core, rather then in a side DSP.  That means new codecs can be added via internet software updates, rather then DSP hardware swaps.  

The Altitude will be the most impressive Trinnov product to date.  It is only a matter of timing that it would be developed- as it is evolutionary.  When you look at the consumer line in Trinnov's history, you'll see that it's based on the Trinnov  pro series- both hardware and software- with added consumer features and functionality.  That means more flexibility on inputs to accommodate consumer sources and an interface designed to enhance the user experience.  Like the pro series, the consumer series is designed to improve over the lifetime of ownership.  Product evolution is built in.  Looking forward to the September debut of the Altitude- it's just around the corner.  

djnickuk likes this.

Trinnov Audio
USA

post #110 of 138 Old 05-18-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Altitude is a really exciting development and one which promises so much. Looking forward to hearing more about it.
post #111 of 138 Old 05-20-2014, 10:27 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamburgCity View Post

Just came back from The Munich High-End show which I understand for the first time was bigger then the one in Las Vegas.

Other then stereo systems at prices of 100,000 and up, for people with more money and given the sound in some cases potentially less taste then is healthy, there was a nice showing of Trinnov. So for those interested about some infos:

They had the Trinnov Altitude as a working unit on static display and even their very friendly CEO was on hand to answer questions and actively asking for what people were looking for in the product (codecs, software features) to the point of "would you pay more if more codecs were included". Compared to the product development of the "high-end audio" firms a very refreshing attitude.

HamburgCity:

Thank you for your writeup. Can you please clarify the meaning of " working unit on static display" was it a working functioning unit or was it just a display box?

Thanks

Lon
post #112 of 138 Old 05-20-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

HamburgCity:

Thank you for your writeup. Can you please clarify the meaning of " working unit on static display" was it a working functioning unit or was it just a display box?

Thanks

Lon

Hopefully not the old Theta trick!biggrin.gif
BrolicBeast likes this.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #113 of 138 Old 05-20-2014, 11:34 AM

Not sure if there is a big difference but it was a functioning box, i.e. Plugged in, menus working, etc. just not hooked up to any speakers. Their demo was strictly with their 2-channel products. The altitude does not have a proper monitor like the ada reference or the datasat but the menu structure on the unit is more like an avr, i.e. Sources, settings, etc. main configuration also via the tv or projector output. Nice to see all connections too. Well laid out.
post #114 of 138 Old 05-30-2014, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 40
post #115 of 138 Old 05-30-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 120

Other than the comment about an upgrade path to HDMI 2.0 when it becomes available, and the pictures of the Altitude 32 (it dwarfs the Magnitude that's below it), there's not that much new that isn't speculation here. And we're eagerly awaiting the specs in more detail (enough to reconsider other Trinnov purchases LOL, pending codecs and other features)smile.gif. Still, thanks for the link.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #116 of 138 Old 06-04-2014, 10:22 AM

Liked: 10
hi mr CINERAMAX I M THE SAME INDIAN BASTARD N LET ME INFORM U THAT I M ALREADY POSSESSING ALTITUDE 32-88 OVER STAGE ACCOMPANY M-57 ACTIVE 7.2 CONFIGURATION N I M LITERALLY SAILING IN HEAVEN N I WILL REST IN PEACE AFTER DEATH THATS FOR SURE
post #117 of 138 Old 06-08-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohunter View Post

hi mr CINERAMAX I M THE SAME INDIAN BASTARD N LET ME INFORM U THAT I M ALREADY POSSESSING ALTITUDE 32-88 OVER STAGE ACCOMPANY M-57 ACTIVE 7.2 CONFIGURATION N I M LITERALLY SAILING IN HEAVEN N I WILL REST IN PEACE AFTER DEATH THATS FOR SURE

wow major upgrade over original anthem klipsch combo. Glad you took Jeff and my advice. those m-57 look nice. but you need to add height channels next....cool.gif

In your next life Quested!
post #118 of 138 Old 07-01-2014, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Atmos and Auro3D has been confirmed for the Altitude32.
post #119 of 138 Old 07-01-2014, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post
Atmos and Auro3D has been confirmed for the Altitude32.

http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...d&e=65d9e8a823

I want to know what the server connection is? Is this just a audio server or is there something else behind these closed doors.
post #120 of 138 Old 07-01-2014, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Well I'm guessing that server labelling is just an input label. But the Altitude is supposed to have the same capabilities as the amethyst. As in it can act as a music streamer.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page