post #1951 of 3487 Old 06-03-2016, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post
Maybe SCM20PSL? ATC will do custom if you order enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
good point. I just bought a set of 20s for the sides. I wasn't looking for something so "heavy duty" for the ceilings but definitely something to consider.
Argos likes this.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 3487 Old 06-03-2016, 12:05 PM
3D Audio Consultant

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolt72 View Post
Got a new answer from Trinnov about HTPC 2.2 .

Units manufactured after September 2015 have a newer HTPC 2.2 compatible HDMI card
Note - Limited to one input and one output.

Cheers,

Trinnov Audio
USA

post #1953 of 3487 Old 06-04-2016, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Oddly, one of my best new theater experiences was tonight watching Ant-Man.

It's is a DTS MA 7.1 soundtrack that I watched upmixed in Neural-X.

It seemingly was a native ATMOS mix as the clarity and dimensionally of the sound was simply spectacular and unlike any other 7.1 soundtrack I've ever heard.

Honestly, I never thought this type of audio was possible - be it in a theater let alone at home . The sound was all around me yet the main channels ruled. It was one of the best home theater experiences yet... And it was upmixed!! Clear, incredible stearing, big bass and immersion that is not describable.

I'm starting to believe that the more speakers you have, the better. I had no such experience with 7.1.4 recordings be them native or upmixed.

Ant-Man was a solo tour de force.

The Altitude is an achievement in home theater that I haven't seen in my decades of equipment buying. I don't think I've ever owned a peice of equipment that raised the bar so much over my previous gear. I really don't want to give a cliche 'best of the best' testimonial but I was truly slack-jawed tonight watching this film. Having 25 speakers aimed at the sweet spot is analogous to audio nirvana.

I leaned over to my wife during the film and simply said, "this is why I redid my new theater only 1 year after the install'. She smiled and acknowledged the move as a worthy one.

Wow... Just wow! A shockingly large paradigm shift in audio.

Wow.
appelz and erwinfrombelgium like this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.

post #1954 of 3487 Old 06-05-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Jeff, what do you feel is the major difference in experience between what you had in the MC you used for a bit in comparison to the Altitude.

I know what my feelings are having used the Teq, Reference, and now the Altitude. I'm curious to see if your observations are similar.

Dan

Dan Francis
post #1955 of 3487 Old 06-05-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFrancis View Post
Jeff, what do you feel is the major difference in experience between what you had in the MC you used for a bit in comparison to the Altitude.

I know what my feelings are having used the Teq, Reference, and now the Altitude. I'm curious to see if your observations are similar.

Dan

Hi Dan,

So many variables compared to then:

With MC: Horns, older QSC DSPs, 7.1 channels, different SSP, remote (basic) calibration
With Altitude: 23 speakers, ribbons and AMTs, LCRs run actively, digital inputs to LCRs, Q-SYS, a full calibration, 11 bed channels...

The Altitude updates were just a confluence of better equipment, professional calibration and more than double the speakers.

Things are more effortless, the immersion factor is off the charts and dialog is so much improved. Also, remapping improved things with the MC, currently I have remapping off with a much greater effect.

Hard to pin down but compared to my 7.1.4 Atmos Datasat, the increased channel count seems to be the largest factor followed by the calibration (and actively running my LCRs).

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #1956 of 3487 Old 06-05-2016, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFrancis View Post
On which screen? I don't remember seeing a screen that had level adjustments for the matrix- only a global level adjustment for input or output. Which tab(s) contain that magic- I could certainly put it to use.
It's under the Processor tab (blown out and illegible at the top middle of the pic; after several tries that was the best my phone would do).

The also illegible tab under Mixes at the right is just the name assigned to the saved matrix setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	opt.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1481569  

Noah
post #1957 of 3487 Old 06-06-2016, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1296
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
It's under the Processor tab (blown out and illegible at the top middle of the pic; after several tries that was the best my phone would do).

The also illegible tab under Mixes at the right is just the name assigned to the saved matrix setup.
I dont recall seeing the submixers on the optimizer. would not that trigger one of the atmos violation alarms? Dolby has strict control of the layouts on the optimizer, at class those RED ATMOS VIOLATION alarms were popping up every once in a while so one cannot get TOO CREATIVE.
post #1958 of 3487 Old 06-06-2016, 04:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'll have to double check the Reference to see if that screen is there under "processor". It does not exist in the Altitude.

Noah, this might actually be a feature exclusive to the MC since it is more like a traditional outboard DSP than a preamp/processor.

I'll take a peek when I get a chance at the Reference menu.

Dan Francis
post #1959 of 3487 Old 06-06-2016, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Phantom Speaker Creation with the Altitude (no remapping)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maikeldepotter View Post
This ability of mixing multiple channels into one speaker (in your case: L channel + C channel into L speaker, and same for R) is precisely the kind of flexibility I would like to have. For example: I was thinking of perceptually narrowing my Top Rears by matrixing BOTH to the VOG speaker when playing ATMOS tracks. According to @DanFrancis this is not possible with the current Altitude.
Workaround:

If, when playing an Atmos track, the Altitude can mix one of the Top Rears into a VOG speaker (idle in Atmos mode), I guess one could mix the other Top Rear into a (actually non-existing) separate speaker in the exact same position as the VOG speaker. The Altitude's outs of those two speakers can then be combined with a stereo-to-mono converter, to subsequently power the one existing VOG speaker, perceptually narrowing the two Top Rear speakers. Mission accomplished.

A good idea and understanding lies at the base of every successful project.

Last edited by maikeldepotter; 06-06-2016 at 10:06 PM.
post #1960 of 3487 Old 06-06-2016, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
I dont recall seeing the submixers on the optimizer. would not that trigger one of the atmos violation alarms?
To clarify, my older unit is called an Optimizer, and doesn't have Atmos.

Noah
post #1961 of 3487 Old 06-06-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:

That screen existed up until a few software revs ago, at least as a matrix for assigning channels. I asked if there was a way to access it, as I find it easier to use. "Someone" said to try Ctrl+Alt+Del....so I can't say if it will be brought back. Best guess is no, because of all the channel rules now implemented.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
Master ARCOS Calibrator, Cedia Designer, HAA Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video
post #1962 of 3487 Old 06-06-2016, 05:46 PM
3D Audio Consultant

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

I can help clarify - this is a manual mixing matrix found on MC Pro systems, not found on any of the high end consumer Trinnovs. Not to be confused with the input or output routing matrix, which is available on some systems. The routing matrix was on the earliest Altitudes, removed because it's not needed- use the 3D Speaker Tool.

Cheers,

Trinnov Audio
USA

Last edited by Curt_Trinnov; 06-06-2016 at 05:51 PM.
post #1963 of 3487 Old 06-07-2016, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 683
THE ALTITUDE32 ADDS DTS:XTM
June 7, 2016 - Trinnov Audio's Altitude32 becomes the first High End preamp/ processor to support all three immersive audio formats: Dolby Atmos®, Auro3D® and now DTS:XTM.

Moreover, DTS:XTM decoding capability is available immediately to all Altitude32 owners who purchased the 3D decoders option, via a simple software update. No new hardware is required, thanks to Trinnov's proprietary, software-based audio engine.

The Altitude32 is already unique in the world of surround sound processors in that up to 32 discrete channels can be rendered (assuming the chosen surround format supports that many speaker positions). This capability stands in stark contrast to the hard limit of 12 discrete decoded channels imposed by DSP-chip based implementations.

The Altitude32 enjoys unrivaled flexibility and spatial resolution, thanks also to its unique 3D microphone and ability to accurately measure each speaker's location in three-dimensional space. Combined with Trinnov's patented 3D Remapping technology, owners of the Altitude32 enjoy a level of seamless, immersive audio that other platforms simply cannot approach.
post #1964 of 3487 Old 06-07-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
THE ALTITUDE32 ADDS DTS:XTM
June 7, 2016 - Trinnov Audio's Altitude32 becomes the first High End preamp/ processor to support all three immersive audio formats: Dolby Atmos®, Auro3D® and now DTS:XTM.

Moreover, DTS:XTM decoding capability is available immediately to all Altitude32 owners who purchased the 3D decoders option, via a simple software update. No new hardware is required, thanks to Trinnov's proprietary, software-based audio engine.

The Altitude32 is already unique in the world of surround sound processors in that up to 32 discrete channels can be rendered (assuming the chosen surround format supports that many speaker positions). This capability stands in stark contrast to the hard limit of 12 discrete decoded channels imposed by DSP-chip based implementations.

The Altitude32 enjoys unrivaled flexibility and spatial resolution, thanks also to its unique 3D microphone and ability to accurately measure each speaker's location in three-dimensional space. Combined with Trinnov's patented 3D Remapping technology, owners of the Altitude32 enjoy a level of seamless, immersive audio that other platforms simply cannot approach.

Where is the link for this announcement?
So, is this 24.1.10 DTS-X update- no more 7.1.4??

Last edited by thebland; 06-07-2016 at 11:03 AM.
post #1965 of 3487 Old 06-07-2016, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Where is the link for this announcement?
So, is this 24.1.10 DTS-X update- no more 7.1.4??
Sorry, no link, but all info listed in post. This provides full DTS-X, not just the upmixer. Still limited 7.1.4 Version is 4.0.10
post #1966 of 3487 Old 06-07-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
Sorry, no link, but all info listed in post. This provides full DTS-X, not just the upmixer. Still limited 7.1.4 Version is 4.0.10
I haven't watched any DTS-X films but wasn't DTS-X already on board? If so, I assume this release is full 24.1.10???

Good find.

post #1967 of 3487 Old 06-07-2016, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I haven't watched any DTS-X films but wasn't DTS-X already on board? If so, I assume this release is full 24.1.10???

Good find.
No, the last update did not have DTS-X. Here is from the previous version.

Quote:
Last but not least, DTS:X is not included in that update yet as we are in the very last stages of the certification. However, in anticipation of that release, this version already includes a beta version of the DTS Neural:X upmixer.
This is not for 24.1.10, either. That is on DTS to allow, Trinnov is not the hold up.
post #1968 of 3487 Old 06-07-2016, 11:57 AM

Ok. Makes sense.

Does this update change any other speaker settings we should be aware of? Do we need to reset the DTS speaker settings?

Also is there s dialog level adjust - I saw this feature on another thread in a Yamaha AVR.

Thanks!

Last edited by thebland; 06-09-2016 at 03:29 AM.
post #1969 of 3487 Old 06-09-2016, 04:06 AM

Also is there s dialog level adjust on the Altitude?- I saw this feature on another thread in a Yamaha AVR (above).

Does this update change any other speaker settings we should be aware of? Do we need to reset the DTS speaker settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
There is at least one DTS:X title on BD that has objects: 'Ip Man 3' uses all 16 waveforms that the format offers (11 channels + 5 objects).

Thanks!

Last edited by thebland; 06-09-2016 at 04:11 AM.
post #1970 of 3487 Old 06-09-2016, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked: 2421
Quote:
Also is there s dialog level adjust on the Altitude?- I saw this feature on another thread in a Yamaha AVR (above).

Thanks!
DTS:X decoders must support dialog level adjustment...

And at this point, the feature doesn't exist on any commercially available titles AFAIK.. I wouldn't expect it to be commonplace at all.

That being said, the dialog value in the picture of the Yamaha OSD is the dialog norm level... two different things.. (the level adjust feature is located in a different menu on the Yamahas..)
post #1971 of 3487 Old 06-10-2016, 02:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have a question about the bass management.

Can the Altitude do LFE and bass management together? For example, have 1 subwoofer strictly for the .1 (LFE) signal while also having say 2 additional subs dedicated to receiving all the bass frequencies below the crossovers for the speakers but wouldn't receive any of the .1 signal?

post #1972 of 3487 Old 06-10-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
I have a question about the bass management.

Can the Altitude do LFE and bass management together? For example, have 1 subwoofer strictly for the .1 (LFE) signal while also having say 2 additional subs dedicated to receiving all the bass frequencies below the crossovers for the speakers but wouldn't receive any of the .1 signal?
Yes to be sure.
post #1973 of 3487 Old 06-10-2016, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes to be sure.

Sweet

So if I started out with just the Altitude32 8in/8out version as I'm currently just running 5 main speakers at the moment I could set say output 6 to my (.1) LFE sub, output 7 to my left sub and have it receive the bass managed frequencies from say my left main, left surround and center and set output 8 to my right sub and have it receive the bass managed frequencies from my right main, right surround and also the center? Or just have the left/right subs on outputs 7 and 8 receive all the bass managed frequencies of the 5 speakers.

post #1974 of 3487 Old 06-10-2016, 06:33 AM

Curt could set that up for you , yes.
post #1975 of 3487 Old 06-11-2016, 04:02 AM

Thanks Chuck and Jon, I thought datasat customer servcie would be hard to top( due to years of upgrades) but Jon updating Jeff's Altitude to DTS-X while sitting at the airport on his way to the factory in Paris on a Friday afternoon... well that is epic customer service.Thanks!

And Yann at the factory is great to work with too for my overseas projects, he clarified for my alcons 16 ch digital plus 16 channel analog 32 channel rigs that the outputs must be exploited for such layout as this:

1-8 aes
9-16 analog
17-24 aes
25-32 analog

So next week I need to redo the output config for hyperion, see existing incorrect layout.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hyperion Immersive Audio profile.pdf (130.2 KB, 39 views)
post #1976 of 3487 Old 06-11-2016, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Cool, this would allow duplication of what I've been accustomed to from my Lexicon MC-12.

post #1977 of 3487 Old 06-12-2016, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
I would like to direct the 15-40 Hz range to one or two down-firing subs in the back of the room, and bass frequencies from 40 Hz and up (up to 80 to 120 Hz, depending on the bass extension of surrounds and heights/tops) to four front firing subs positioned left and right behind/below the screen and on either side of MLP. In addition, I want to be able to select for every individual speaker to which of the four subs the upper bass (40 Hz and higher) should be directed. Does the Altitude provide such flexibility, with or without help from a Trinnov specialist like Curt?

A good idea and understanding lies at the base of every successful project.
post #1978 of 3487 Old 06-12-2016, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think you get that level of direction for the "bass management" settings. You could set it up using crossovers, but I don't remember being able to split hairs like that under bass management. You can set it up like a 2 stage LFE and set the subs as stacked, but to say assign the bass from LSurr to front sub#3, and RSurr bass to front sub #4 , etc. I personally think you'll be better served using stacked sub setup and send all subs the same info and filter with crossovers as necessary. The subs will have a more predictable interaction that way. Otherwise you're never quite sure which subs are going to be firing at any given time- so you'll have to tune around that, ultimately you make a compromise either way, but by using 4-6 subs in a stacked config and bass management set to a more traditional setting (all bass below x to lfe); it will be tuned "better".

Dan Francis
post #1979 of 3487 Old 06-12-2016, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3561 Post(s)
Liked: 1905
This may be a question for the one-tenth of one percent of Altitude owners...

I was wondering if anyone with the front Dolby Atmos Left Extra and Right Extra screen speakers installed and has the new UHD Blu-ray of Star Trek: Into Darkness has noticed if the directionalized screen dialog that utilized those two extra center speakers is still a part of the Atmos mix or if all the dialog is now reproduced out of the center speaker (mono-ized).

Thanks a bunch!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #1980 of 3487 Old 06-12-2016, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked: 2421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
This may be a question for the one-tenth of one percent of Altitude owners...

I was wondering if anyone with the front Dolby Atmos Left Extra and Right Extra screen speakers installed and has the new UHD Blu-ray of Star Trek: Into Darkness has noticed if the directionalized screen dialog that utilized those two extra center speakers is still a part of the Atmos mix or if all the dialog is now reproduced out of the center speaker (mono-ized).

Thanks a bunch!
Dan... why would you think that the panning would disappear.. the only way it could get to the wide speakers is if it were encoded as an object, and I would be surprised if it weren't extended out into the front L and R....

Have you heard something that states there is an issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page