4Likes

post #91 of 107 Old 07-28-2014, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Congrats Alan,

I wish I could of made the demo this past weekend. By the way Peter talks, you have really outdone yourself.

I have had the pleasure of working with Alan over the past couple years and never have I met someone as enthusiastic about home cinema as him..... well and Peter too

I have bought both my Barco DP4K-23B and my DP4K-P from Alan. I have learned a ton from him over the past couple years, and he has helped me tweak my projectors to really get an incredible image.

I have had the pleasure of visiting his place and seeing his demo setup in the past, and sounds like it's about time for me to make another trip down.

And to put to rest anyone's concern about feeding a DCI machine alternative content, you can rest assured there is absolutely zero problems. I feed my projector everything from DCI content to blu-Ray to Directv to AppleTV to a Mac Mini to multiple game systems, and the list goes on and on. And feed it 3d bluray. All works flawlessly if you know how to setup your presets correctly. There is zero issue switching between sources or between DCI content and alternative content.

Congrats Alan. Can't wait to see what you had done to the NEC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 107 Old 07-29-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
It makes a lot more sharper and cleaner picture on larger screens. I have talked to some who have up-scaled 1080P to 4K on various DCI projectors. And got some mixed views, nothing great was what i came away with. Artifact heavy was how one described it.

On a large screen, up-scaled 1080x1920 to 1080x2048 adds enough pixels that it makes for better viewing, without artifacts. I don't know exactly why, but it does work very well.
Andy I agree with you on 80% of things and enjoy your anecdotes, but man some of the stuff you throw from left field I completely disagree with, why scale, on Barco 2k you must definetely not scale.
post #93 of 107 Old 07-29-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Actually small fraction scaling is the hardest thing to do right, and is hardly ever done without losses. So it isn't in the scaling, it can be that the TI processing chips handle that better, as there is some trickery going on in there, as mentioned by Peter above.

Now what can be done is lossless remapping of a smaller colourspace like rec.709 to DCi or Rec. 2020, or the LCD panels native colourspace. That may even be non-lineair, like LASER although with much wider spikes.

A lot of work on this was done at the old glowbulb factory down south.
post #94 of 107 Old 07-29-2014, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Andy I agree with you on 80% of things and enjoy your anecdotes, but man some of the stuff you throw from left field I completely disagree with, why scale, on Barco 2k you must definetely not scale.
Yes, well 80% is passing.

I don't pretend to know all things alternative content on DCI spec equipment. That is not my area. However, many a owner sees the money from renting out screens for presentation, birthday parties, private screenings, etc. So i am getting asked again and again how to do this so a 16 year old kid for a projectionist can do it.

I have found two products i really love, Christie SKA-3D, multiple input's, HDMI 1.4b, 3D BR. Easy to integrate with standard equipment, rack mount, will decode any audio, will run dual projectors for best 3D. Simple plug an play, just like home CE.

For HTPC, BlackMagic Design DeckLink 4K Extreme. As we both know, big projectors love HD-SDI inputs Audio takes some extra effort but can be done. I projected Planet Earth on BDR with this set up, on a 80 foot screen, you would be hard pressed to tell it was alternative content, you would have to look very hard and know what you are looking for. The owner told me nice, but i want Blu-Ray not DCP, and i told him, this is Blu-Ray! And it was a Barco 4K

Both of these are a easy way to get alternative content on large screens and look good.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.
post #95 of 107 Old 07-29-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
One piece. I tried to attach a drawing, but the file was too big.

Depth of projector with out lens shroud, 846.9mm
Depth of projector with lens shroud, 1,042mm
Width of projector, 700mm
Height of projector, 326mm
I would be interested to know if this projector can fire up a 10.6x25.2 foot screen with a 43-5 foot throw.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.
post #96 of 107 Old 07-30-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes, well 80% is passing.

I don't pretend to know all things alternative content on DCI spec equipment. That is not my area. However, many a owner sees the money from renting out screens for presentation, birthday parties, private screenings, etc. So i am getting asked again and again how to do this so a 16 year old kid for a projectionist can do it.

I have found two products i really love, Christie SKA-3D, multiple input's, HDMI 1.4b, 3D BR. Easy to integrate with standard equipment, rack mount, will decode any audio, will run dual projectors for best 3D. Simple plug an play, just like home CE.

For HTPC, BlackMagic Design DeckLink 4K Extreme. As we both know, big projectors love HD-SDI inputs Audio takes some extra effort but can be done. I projected Planet Earth on BDR with this set up, on a 80 foot screen, you would be hard pressed to tell it was alternative content, you would have to look very hard and know what you are looking for. The owner told me nice, but i want Blu-Ray not DCP, and i told him, this is Blu-Ray! And it was a Barco 4K

Both of these are a easy way to get alternative content on large screens and look good.
ive heard good things about the christie piece, used to do dimension 3d rigs but the christie is plug and play, now with the latest doremi D3D firmware you can triple the apparent clarity ,brightness and sharpness of the picture. So just as I thought i was out they pull me back in.:-D

I'll focaround with the blackmagic card, thanks for the tip.
post #97 of 107 Old 08-04-2014, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
I would be interested to know if this projector can fire up a 10.6x25.2 foot screen with a 43-5 foot throw.
You did not give the gain of the screen, but yes it can fill that screen from 43'-5" using a choice of two lens, 1.33-2.1:1 or the 1.62-2.7:1 lens. Your throw range is 1.72.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #98 of 107 Old 08-04-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
What kind of lumen output are you getting after the two aperture plate modification ?

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #99 of 107 Old 08-04-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
What kind of lumen output are you getting after the two aperture plate modification ?

Art
I hope to receive the specs this week. Will let you know.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #100 of 107 Old 08-06-2014, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Art
With the modifications we were seeing 50FL with the light output cut down. This was on a 10' wide 0.8 gain scope screen. In high lamp we were seeing over 100FL. So that would mean in low, 3,511 lumens and high lamp is over 7,000 lumens, after mod.

post #101 of 107 Old 08-06-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
With the modifications we were seeing 50FL with the light output cut down. This was on a 10' wide 0.8 gain scope screen. In high lamp we were seeing over 100FL. So that would mean in low, 3,511 lumens and high lamp is over 7,000 lumens, after mod.

I've been complaining for years that most projectors aren't bright enough. Even my Lumis. With this projector, I'd have to eat my words for sure. And get a bigger screen !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #102 of 107 Old 08-06-2014, 11:53 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Thanks Mike, and what is the respective On/Off with the Mod's in place?
post #103 of 107 Old 08-06-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
Thanks Mike, and what is the respective On/Off with the Mod's in place?
I believe a little over 5,000:1. As everyone that has viewed this image said, the blacks looked very good.

post #104 of 107 Old 08-06-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
I believe a little over 5,000:1. As everyone that has viewed this image said, the blacks looked very good.
Great to hear !

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #105 of 107 Old 08-06-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Not too much given away over the original 11K lumens. But does this still allow for a constant light-output like with the other LASER projectors, compensating for the lifetime dropp-off of 30(+) percent?
post #106 of 107 Old 08-08-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Guess what laser projector the color of this one reminds me of?

I am very particular about the barco colors, their new $350k laser 2 piece monsterprojector has incredible colors, barco whites are paper white, with their new laser 6p projectors the whites were to cry good. Well this little fvckr projector had very similar colorimetry to the Barco Laser DCI, but on Blu-ray.

Heres the Barco:

required chiller unit

projector head

quite the space savings for very familiar color, no?

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1000x1000px-LL-660dcfa3_barlaser2.jpeg (104.5 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpeg 1000x1000px-LL-8332814d_barlaser1.jpeg (113.5 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg laser3cpic.jpg (154.4 KB, 95 views)
Craig Peer likes this.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 08-08-2014 at 03:37 PM.
post #107 of 107 Old 08-08-2014, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Laser 3C cut sheet. Due to size restriction, I had to reduce this down. If anybody wants a larger version of this, shoot me your email address and I will send it to you.
Attached Images
File Type: png cut sheet-6.png (735.1 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by AV Science Sales 5; 08-09-2014 at 06:08 AM.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page