AVS Forum banner

New player coming for 2K DCI Cinema

14K views 121 replies 20 participants last post by  LJG 
#1 ·
It will be much like the below projector, but have a few added features. Contrast will be higher, since it will have an iris and I believe it will have lens memory. This should be a great HT projector for larger screens and large screen 3D. Price wise it should be more than competitive with what is currently available. Will post more details once available.

NEC NC1100L Digital Cinema projector using laser light source

NEC has announced a new digital cinema projector called the NC1100L. It's aimed at art houses, mobile cinemas, University theaters, and public buildings. NEC says that the laser light source is able to deliver 2K DCI-compliant cinema quality video.

On a 20' wide 1.0 gain screen we are talking 25 FL.
. NEC notes that this is the world's first digital cinema compliant projector using a laser light source.

The projector has a resolution of 2048 x 1080. It supports 3-D content and has a three-chip DMD. The laser light is good for around 20,000 hours of use.

The contrast ratio for the projector is 1600:1 and the projector supports multiple lens options. The projector has motorized zoom, focus, and shift capability. The projector does not require a special exhaust system. Uses air cooling and has a built-in 2 TB RAID5 storage server. Connectivity includes two 3GSDI inputs and a single HDMI input along with advanced networking functions. Since it has network functions, It will easily be controlled from an iPad.

See less See more
#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG  /t/1522097/new-player-coming-for-2k-dci-cinema#post_24470141

This sounds fantastic!!!! Small foot print DCI compatable with no need for exhaust system. Mike can you say if this is a modification to the NEC projector?

Sent you a PM.

#4 ·
Is this available from NEC? or is this a third party modded projector? Need a budget solution for intermediately sized screens here in Holland. The six meter mentioned above might suit, or be a tad too small. So, is this an S2K 0.69" DMD with LASER unit bolted to the back? RGB or Red & Blue with prism like the DPI 12K Lumens unit? 1600:1 is a bit low, I considered theDPIs contrats a bit low, and that is specced at 2000:1.

#5 ·
This is all speculation, no pun intended at this point. Mike does mention the feature set of this "new projector" to include some modifications which include a dynamic iris. The question will be how aggressive the dynamic iris can be with a native on/off of on;y 1600:1. Hopefully they do not get too aggressive with this feature.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk  /t/1522097/new-player-coming-for-2k-dci-cinema#post_24478494

Is this available from NEC? or is this a third party modded projector? Need a budget solution for intermediately sized screens here in Holland. The six meter mentioned above might suit, or be a tad too small. So, is this an S2K 0.69" DMD with LASER unit bolted to the back? RGB or Red & Blue with prism like the DPI 12K Lumens unit? 1600:1 is a bit low, I considered theDPIs contrats a bit low, and that is specced at 2000:1.

It will be available through AV Science. Still waiting on specs. The iris may be a fixed iris, for adjusting light output.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG  /t/1522097/new-player-coming-for-2k-dci-cinema#post_24481297

This is all speculation, no pun intended at this point. Mike does mention the feature set of this "new projector" to include some modifications which include a dynamic iris. The question will be how aggressive the dynamic iris can be with a native on/off of on;y 1600:1. Hopefully they do not get too aggressive with this feature.
Or at least allow the user to control how aggressive it is to some degree. Control for both how open the iris gets for white and how closed it gets for black is something I think some people would appreciate.

If it is a physical iris, I'm not sure how those perform with laser as the light source. That is, whether the static on/off CR goes up at the same rate of light loss as with the lamps we are used to.

I'm sure some would like it if they also have a manual iris mode where a person can tune their light output without using the dynamic mode. If it is a lens iris then some people who don't want to use the dynamic iris may be able to get more than 1600:1 (as long as the spec isn't from the most closed iris position, but seems too low for that to be likely).

--Darin

Reactions: Ericglo
#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn  /t/1522097/new-player-coming-for-2k-dci-cinema/0_50#post_24483578

Am I wrong in the conception that since laser light doesn't scatter as say a Xenon source that an iris is much less effective at increasing the sequential contrast over the native of the that unit compared to xenon

Art

I think it would depend on the implementation.

If a scattering element is used to despeckle and give uniform illumination of the chips, it might not be much different than a lamp.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn  /t/1522097/new-player-coming-for-2k-dci-cinema#post_24492572

My point is with a sequential contrast of only 1600:1 can an iris make a big difference in projectors using laser illumination ?

Art

I own a 4K high contrast projector and I will have to say, DCI color space with high light output 3-chip looked very good.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5  /t/1522097/new-player-coming-for-2k-dci-cinema#post_24503944

I own a 4K high contrast projector and I will have to say, DCI color space with high light output 3-chip looked very good.

How much sequential contrast are you getting ? What sources are you using for the DCI color ?

Thanks for your time,

Art

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn  /t/1522097/new-player-coming-for-2k-dci-cinema#post_24508921

How much sequential contrast are you getting ? What sources are you using for the DCI color ?

Thanks for your time,

Art

Projector has not been released yet, so still waiting on complete specs. I had hoped to have something this week, but it does not look like that is going to happen.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48  /t/1522097/new-player-coming-for-2k-dci-cinema#post_24506316

Any idea on an approximate price yet?

Probably mid 30's.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG  /t/1522097/new-player-coming-for-2k-dci-cinema#post_24537641

Art:

I think mike is referring to a Sony 4K VW600 consumer high contrast projector vs a Barco 4K DLP DCI lower contrast high lumen output projector.

Correct.

#24 ·
There are going to be three new models, all 3 chip DLP

One will be 2K DCI with two UHP lamps.

Second model will be 2K DCI with laser.

Third model will be 4K DCI, Xenon lamps from 1.2kw to 3.0kw.

For those seriously interested in one of these, we can set up a demo in a couple months.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG  /t/1522097/new-player-coming-for-2k-dci-cinema#post_24556655

More details on who this "New Player" is?
The 2K DCI projectors are going to be modified versions of the NEC and the 4K will be a modified Barco.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.