2 channel room correction in the analog domain with HT bypass? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 04-28-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin42 View Post

Just pulled the trigger on the Benchmark DAC2. They were having a 10% off sale today and they have a generous in-home trial. Now I just need a good USB mic for dirac, are there are decent options available on amazon or locally (guitar center etc?); would love to play around with this over the weekend while I've got the house to myself.

http://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-dac2-hgc-digital-to-analog-audio-converter

Nice. I got the very affordable Dayton EMM, which will come with calibration file. Highly recommended by Dirac on some forum.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-emm-6-electret-measurement-microphone--390-801
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 04-28-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

Nice. I got the very affordable Dayton EMM, which will come with calibration file. Highly recommended by Dirac on some forum.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-emm-6-electret-measurement-microphone--390-801

Cool. Do I want the USB version?

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-UMM-6-Measurement-Microphone/dp/B00ADR2E68/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_mrai_2_dp

Edit: I realize I probably need more than just the mic (mic preamp, etc.). This kit also looks like a nice solution and is recommended by dirac: http://www.xtz.se/shop-en/measurement-system/xtz-microphone-to-dirac-live-room-correction-suite

post #33 of 43 Old 04-28-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cool. Do I want the USB version?

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-UMM-6-Measurement-Microphone/dp/B00ADR2E68/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_mrai_2_dp

Edit: I realize I probably need more than just the mic (mic preamp, etc.). This kit also looks like a nice solution and is recommended by dirac: http://www.xtz.se/shop-en/measurement-system/xtz-microphone-to-dirac-live-room-correction-suite

Many options. I forgot I have a Mic preamp, so I need the XLR.
post #34 of 43 Old 05-01-2014, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quick update: WOW. I haven't even run Dirac yet (that's my weekend project) but just switching from playing the exact same FLAC files through the Sonos vs. JRiver (both into the Benchmark DAC2) is a huge upgrade. I'm converted. Now I just need to set up a dedicated audio server (I'm currently using my laptop to test things out). I'm leaning toward a Mac Mini since it will fit into my limited space in my rack, any thoughts between these two options (quad core w/ 8gigs of ram vs. dual core with 4)? Thank you!

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/mac-mini

post #35 of 43 Old 05-01-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quick update: WOW. I haven't even run Dirac yet (that's my weekend project) but just switching from playing the exact same FLAC files through the Sonos vs. JRiver (both into the Benchmark DAC2) is a huge upgrade. I'm converted. Now I just need to set up a dedicated audio server (I'm currently using my laptop to test things out). I'm leaning toward a Mac Mini since it will fit into my limited space in my rack, any thoughts between these two options (quad core w/ 8gigs of ram vs. dual core with 4)? Thank you!

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/mac-mini

I would personally just get a CAPS 3 from smallgreencomputer and be done. Actually very affordable, superior USB card, and optional battery power. If you are a Mac aficionado you can go full monthy with tricked out mini - linear powersupply - the works.
post #36 of 43 Old 05-01-2014, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would personally just get a CAPS 3 from smallgreencomputer and be done. Actually very affordable, superior USB card, and optional battery power. If you are a Mac aficionado you can go full monthy with tricked out mini - linear powersupply - the works.

Cool, I'll check it out. Cannot believe how much better this is than the Sonos. If you're ever in Boston, I owe you a beer!
post #37 of 43 Old 05-02-2014, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I wouldn't say I'm a Mac aficionado, but the more I look at all the options the more I'm leaning toward getting one of the basic Mac Minis now for ~600; space in my rack is a huge premium and it would be nice to have the Apple airplay, etc. for all of our other iOS devices. Understanding that it won't be as good as a CAPS 3, are there any other downsides I should be aware of? I'm still in the tinkering phase of this project and can always upgrade to a more serious server down the road.

post #38 of 43 Old 05-02-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wouldn't say I'm a Mac aficionado, but the more I look at all the options the more I'm leaning toward getting one of the basic Mac Minis now for ~600; space in my rack is a huge premium and it would be nice to have the Apple airplay, etc. for all of our other iOS devices. Understanding that it won't be as good as a CAPS 3, are there any other downsides I should be aware of? I'm still in the tinkering phase of this project and can always upgrade to a more serious server down the road.

Not much risk in getting a Mac mini, other then potentially leaving a bit of performance on the table. Can't beat the form factor.
post #39 of 43 Old 05-02-2014, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not much risk in getting a Mac mini, other then potentially leaving a bit of performance on the table. Can't beat the form factor.

Cool, thank you. I'm blown away with the sound already using my 5 year old Thinkpad running Windows 7 as a temporary solution. Will swing by the Apple store this weekend to pick up a Mini. At the risk of starting a conversation that seems to rile folks up, should I grab an aftermarket USB cable (like the Transparanet Performance)? I'm using the cable that came with the DAC2 right now.

post #40 of 43 Old 05-02-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cool, thank you. I'm blown away with the sound already using my 5 year old Thinkpad running Windows 7 as a temporary solution. Will swing by the Apple store this weekend to pick up a Mini. At the risk of starting a conversation that seems to rile folks up, should I grab an aftermarket USB cable (like the Transparanet Performance)? I'm using the cable that came with the DAC2 right now.

Controversial subject. Some people swear by after market cables, and some of the esteemed commentators on this forum will declare them clinically insane. It is one of this things where I cannot vouch for being able to pick a winner in a double blind comparison (not that I tried - don't have the patience), but I buy an highly acclaimed cable (wireworld platinum) to be on the safe side anyway. I would list a few of the top dogs and pick one up used on audiogon, give it a whirl against the stock cable and decide for yourself. If it does not work for you, resell it.
post #41 of 43 Old 05-02-2014, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Controversial subject. Some people swear by after market cables, and some of the esteemed commentators on this forum will declare them clinically insane. It is one of this things where I cannot vouch for being able to pick a winner in a double blind comparison (not that I tried - don't have the patience), but I buy an highly acclaimed cable (wireworld platinum) to be on the safe side anyway. I would list a few of the top dogs and pick one up used on audiogon, give it a whirl against the stock cable and decide for yourself. If it does not work for you, resell it.

Good point, very little risk in buying used and reselling if I don't think it's worth the $$. I've been all over the map on cables throughout my ~15 years in this hobby, using everything from cheap bulk Monster cable to MIT Terminator 2 speaker cables that cost more than my Paradigm speakers when I was in college (which seems silly looking back). I've settled into a decent mid-range spot where I haven't spent a ton of money on cables but bought good enough stuff that I don't feel any anxiety about missing out on performance (Nordost Red Dawn XLRs, Kimber 8TC/WTB, etc.).

post #42 of 43 Old 05-03-2014, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I'm up and running. Set up a Mac Mini running JRiver into Dirac Live. Still tinkering with room measurements, but so far this is incredible. I seriously cannot believe how much of a difference going from Sonos->Integra to JRiver->Dirac->DAC2 made. A true revelation. Thank you all for your help and patience with an aspiring high-end guy.

post #43 of 43 Old 05-03-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, I'm up and running. Set up a Mac Mini running JRiver into Dirac Live. Still tinkering with room measurements, but so far this is incredible. I seriously cannot believe how much of a difference going from Sonos->Integra to JRiver->Dirac->DAC2 made. A true revelation. Thank you all for your help and patience with an aspiring high-end guy.

You're investing in the sweet spot of return (I.e. sound quality improvement) on investment. Significant additional improvement will require significant additional outlay.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page