Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 05-07-2014, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1530039/sony-blames-blu-ray-for-bag-of-hurt

Very interesting discussion going on. Apparently 95% of titles streaming on VUDU in HDX are indistinguishable from their blu ray counterpart. (sarcasm) Who knew? In all seriousness, it is worth a read. The first few pages are just discussing how likely streaming will replace physical media but a few pages in you get some very laughable claims about streaming quality vs blu ray. I don't know what some people are seeing but streaming just isn't ready for high end IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-07-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
TSHA222,

I beg to differ. I have seen streaming from a multitude of sources and the quality is certainly not 95%. I wouldn't even give it 5%. I wish the Blu-ray bashers would just stop. If they don't like physical media, so be it. I think streaming is crap.

By the way, your title is sort of misleading. It going to start another streaming vs Disc debate.
TSHA222 and rtheen like this.
post #3 of 28 Old 05-07-2014, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh craip I don't want to start a debate here. I sort of assumed everyone in this section would be firmly in the same camp. How do I change the thread title though to be on the safe side? My point in linking from here is that it does concern me that Joe Sixpack, to use a term, could pose a threat to those of us that appreciate the best quality.
post #4 of 28 Old 05-07-2014, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Not sure. I've never changed a Title before. I would just play around with options and see if that works. Good luck.

And Yes, I'm in your camp also. Love physical media and collecting.
post #5 of 28 Old 05-07-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Oh craip I don't want to start a debate here. I sort of assumed everyone in this section would be firmly in the same camp. How do I change the thread title though to be on the safe side? My point in linking from here is that it does concern me that Joe Sixpack, to use a term, could pose a threat to those of us that appreciate the best quality.

I vote with my wallet. Just bought 3 more Blu Rays this week. So far my score is Blu Ray - 400 ( I'm doing an inventory ) ? Streaming - 0 .

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #6 of 28 Old 05-07-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Craig. I can't save the format on my own wink.gif
post #7 of 28 Old 05-07-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Yea,I've been hoping for scores of films I like to show on BD but the outlook is grim for several reasons. First is Sony's contention that their problems stem from the weight of Blu ray and then folks who think that the streaming services are just as good. The beginning of the end of quality.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #8 of 28 Old 05-07-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

First is Sony's contention that their problems stem from the weight of Blu ray and then folks who think that the streaming services are just as good.
Sony never said that. There are lots of people who didn't bother to read the fiscal guidance Sony published and instead have run with an incorrect summary that someone else wrote. The fiscal guidance has nothing to do with the retail sales of blu-ray discs. It's all about their disc manufacturing business which isn't limited to any one particular format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony 
Sony expects to record approximately 25 billion yen in impairment charges mainly related to its overseas disc manufacturing business. Primarily due to demand for physical media contracting faster than anticipated, mainly in the European region, the future profitability of the disc manufacturing business has been revised. Consequently, Sony has determined that it does not expect to generate sufficient cash flow in the future to recover the carrying amount of long-lived assets, resulting in an expected impairment charge. Primarily due to the reason mentioned above, the fair value of the entire disc manufacturing business also has decreased, resulting in an expected impairment of goodwill.

Does anyone see the words "Blu-Ray" in there anywhere?
post #9 of 28 Old 05-07-2014, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I sure hope you're wrong Art. Unfortunately though, I think you're right. I can't believe how many members I have been back and forth with who insist that streaming is more than adequate. Folks who should know better arguing that the difference is so small as to not be noticeable. A few weeks ago I got an urge to watch Maximum Overdrive (I wasn't even drunk) and I streamed it in "HD" from VUDU. Granted, this title, if it sees a blu ray release, won't set any quality benchmarks, but it will look better than streaming.
post #10 of 28 Old 05-07-2014, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm guilty Stereodude. I didn't read the Sony release, just responded to the write up here on AVS. It doesn't say "blu ray" but bd is a big part of disc manufacturing I would think.
post #11 of 28 Old 05-07-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSHA222 View Post

I'm guilty Stereodude. I didn't read the Sony release, just responded to the write up here on AVS. It doesn't say "blu ray" but bd is a big part of disc manufacturing I would think.
I would expect that DVDs and CDs are much larger components to their business than Blu-Ray. Those two are on the decline. For all we know Blu-Ray sales are still increasing.
post #12 of 28 Old 05-07-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Sony never said that. There are lots of people who didn't bother to read the fiscal guidance Sony published and instead have run with an incorrect summary that someone else wrote. The fiscal guidance has nothing to do with the retail sales of blu-ray discs. It's all about their disc manufacturing business which isn't limited to any one particular format.
Does anyone see the words "Blu-Ray" in there anywhere?

Thanks ! Hold out hope that BD stays around.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #13 of 28 Old 05-08-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Blu Ray's better stick around at least until they release The Party and Team America - World Police. Then I can die happy. smile.gif
Goalline likes this.

I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
post #14 of 28 Old 05-08-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Remember Laser Disks? I believe BluRay will be around for a while but it may become a specialty item with a higher price and less titles available - just like Laser disk was.

Hey, my local supermarket even has the latest BluRays available at competitive prices.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #15 of 28 Old 05-08-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Laserdisc... Yes the good old days of $40 per title smile.gif
post #16 of 28 Old 05-08-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

Laserdisc... Yes the good old days of $40 per title smile.gif

But if streaming cuts into the BluRay margins enough, and it will, they have no choice. And given the option I would gladly pay $40 over a single use streaming version. I just hope it is $40 and not $80-$100 based on inflation.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #17 of 28 Old 05-08-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't worry yet - I still buy the occasional music CD - despite downloading music to I Tunes too, and CD's don't cost $ 40.00. In fact, you can buy some Blu Ray movies for damn near the cost of a blank recordable Blu Ray disk.

post #18 of 28 Old 05-08-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Not that I want to go back but I think it was 1978 when I bought Star Trek the Motion Picture for $100 on Laser Disc. I wonder what that would be in 2014 dollars ?

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #19 of 28 Old 05-08-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not that I want to go back but I think it was 1978 when I bought Star Trek the Motion Picture for $100 on Laser Disc. I wonder what that would be in 2014 dollars ?

Art

Obviously they weren't putting them on sale during Black Friday back in those days.............. eek.gif

post #20 of 28 Old 05-08-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Art
Found this online so it is obviously correct. $100 in 1978 would be equal to $375.28 today!
post #21 of 28 Old 05-08-2014, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Blu Ray's better stick around at least until they release The Party and Team America - World Police. Then I can die happy. smile.gif
they have release Team America in Australia. http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/dvd-genres/comedy/team-america-world-police-blu-ray/685791
One down one to go
post #22 of 28 Old 05-09-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

they have release Team America in Australia. http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/dvd-genres/comedy/team-america-world-police-blu-ray/685791
One down one to go

Excellent ! biggrin.gif

post #23 of 28 Old 05-18-2014, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I don't understand why one man's assessment of quality based on his 55" Vizio TV is worthy of front page news on AVS month after month.

post #24 of 28 Old 05-21-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 91
The only HD streaming I'm exposed to is Netflix. God help us if this is the quality we can expect from streaming!

In the late eighties I was buying a few LDs when I could find them. They were expensive. VHS originally was pretty much rental only since purchasing was as expensive or more so than LD. The prices came down dramatically over the years and you could basically buy a VHS movie for next to nothing but by then DVD was about to be introduced. DVD pretty much saved the day while it killed VHS -- much easier to find and a lot less expensive right from the get go. I bought a lot of DVDs; however, I usually only watched them once or twice. Once I became ware that I didn't need to own them I started to rent more and more. This strategy has survived with BD and I'd rather rent than buy -- a lot cheaper and saves space. I only purchase a few favourites. So I'm probably part of the problem for not buying more physical media. Also, BD has to survive Netflix. Netflix is so cheap that it and other inexpensive streaming services may completely kill BD -- the majority of the paying public want it as cheap and convenient as possible and quality takes a back seat. IMO the other big problem for BD is its broken copy protection and if streaming offers a solution to that then I'm afraid streaming is what we're in for, like it or not.
post #25 of 28 Old 05-21-2014, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Found this online so it is obviously correct. $100 in 1978 would be equal to $375.28 today!

The movie released in 1979, and i bet the laserdisc didn't come out till much later, so it'd probably be around $300. wink.gif

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!

post #26 of 28 Old 05-23-2014, 03:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Doom View Post

The movie released in 1979, and i bet the laserdisc didn't come out till much later, so it'd probably be around $300. wink.gif

You get the point.wink.gif

My HT

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #27 of 28 Old 05-25-2014, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
other view..I'm usually surprised at how good some streaming can be..I'd say its usually in between a good dvd and so so bluray and thats on my 14ft wide screen and sony 1100 projector, w/old eyes..netflix and amazon..I have a feeling it will get a lot better and it will be interesting to see how good 4k streaming will get..though it doesn't sound promising right now..boy, some bd discs are really amazing..lawrence of arabia so far is the only 4k download i've seen that betters it..that was a 12 hour download!
post #28 of 28 Old 06-02-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

The Party just got a release date on Blu Ray - hooray !! One of my favorite comedies of all time !!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Party-Blu-ray/103795/#Overview

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page