DOLBY ATMOS Vs AURO - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #31 of 204 Old 06-26-2014, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Public presentation from auro3d in germany to homecinemafans.
Interview with wilfried van baelen - founder of auro 3d

Subtitel in english

Patrick Schappert
www.grobi.tv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 204 Old 06-27-2014, 04:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Are there any reviews on the Auromatic up mixing?

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #33 of 204 Old 06-27-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Are there any reviews on the Auromatic up mixing?
In a AMC Aventura theater heard Trailers upmixed, nothing to recall from then some mustang pans overhead on Auro sounded good but again problem with 30 foot sound objects on side walls. But cant say I have heard it properly, Talked to people that heard Neils and raved, also SD liked it in a la movie theater.But then again Neo X sounds right on the money to me with the potential of sounding better than my pseudo heights with trinnov due to steering. But not 3D remap.

Id risk adding it.
post #34 of 204 Old 06-27-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappie View Post
Public presentation from auro3d in germany to homecinemafans.
Thanx for posting that video. Surprised at the shift towards promoting music playback and upmixing mono, stereo and 5.1 sources rather than talking about Auro-encoded movies on Blu-ray.

Sanjay
post #35 of 204 Old 06-27-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 87
A financially prudent course of action that may bring them more success than fighting the inevitable.
post #36 of 204 Old 06-27-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From the recent Atmos FAQ:

If Dolby Atmos allows me to add more speakers, why do I see A/V receivers with just 11 channels?

Many hardware partners are building or planning to build Dolby Atmos enabled A/V receivers and speakers. Those partners decide what product configurations make the most sense for their customers. But the Dolby Atmos system itself is almost unlimited. If you have the space and budget, you can build a Dolby Atmos system with as many as 24 speakers on the floor and 10 overhead speakers. One of our hardware partners is planning to release an A/V receiver with 32 channels.

What if I build a Dolby Atmos system but want to play content that isn’t in Dolby Atmos?

A Dolby Atmos home theater can play any stereo, 5.1, or 7.1 content. You can choose to have our technology automatically adapt that channel-based signal to use the full capabilities of your new system, including your overhead speakers, ensuring that you hear realistic and immersive sound.

http://blog.dolby.com/2014/06/dolby-...ions-answered/

Sanjay
post #37 of 204 Old 06-28-2014, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Could you apply Auro upmixing to an Atmos sound mix to obtain additional height information without affecting any object based steering of sound?
post #38 of 204 Old 06-28-2014, 02:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Doubt you'll be able to apply surround processing on top of Atmos decoding. An object-based soundtrack will map/render itself to all available speakers, so there won't be anything for the surround processing to do.

Sanjay
post #39 of 204 Old 06-30-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 29
With all the recent announcements from mainstream av receiver manufactures regarding their having adopted Dolby Atmos, it would appear that Dolby has, in fact, seized the marketing high ground. That need not, however, disrupt a mutually advantageous alliance between Auro and the high end manufactures. Hollywood editing suites can easily embed both formats. It would not be surprising, then, to see commercial theaters deploying Auro while Atmos becomes commonplace in residential settings.
post #40 of 204 Old 06-30-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
It would not be surprising, then, to see commercial theaters deploying Auro while Atmos becomes commonplace in residential settings.
I'd be surprised since that doesn't seem to be the trend, at least here in the Los Angles area where there are 5 times as many commercial theatres using Atmos than Auro (15 vs 3).
PeterTHX likes this.

Sanjay
post #41 of 204 Old 07-01-2014, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 77
If you are in a 250 foot by 200 foot auditorium with 3 or 4 story high ceilings, 3D sound is worth it. For a 17 foot by 20 foot, 10 foot ceiling home theater? I don't see any gains. The Atmos setup i first saw had downward firing speakers for there "voice of god" effect. The floor of any area is almost impossible to have any sound absorbent beyond a carpet, that is easy and safe to walk on. In a small room it's going to hit the floor and bounce up giving a echo effect, to me this ruins the effect. Most of the Dolby Pro Logic IIz AVR's i have seen in use had the front highs biamped with the right and left fronts. Why use a 9.1 AVR for 7.1 operation? If your a member of the Bel Air Circuit and can get DCI masters, and have the space for it, 3D audio would be well worth it. Last i looked Blu-Ray audio codec was 7.1, mostly 5.1.

While i am at it 5.1 surround served the cinemas fine for years as most of the surround speakers were mounted up high and pointed slightly down. So you got a sound field that sounded close to 3D. A personal friend of mine, and multiplex owner told me decades ago, "If they(studios) really wanted to do it right(sound), everyone would be down there wearing headphones."

Last edited by CinemaAndy; 07-01-2014 at 11:59 PM.
post #42 of 204 Old 07-02-2014, 01:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
For a 17 foot by 20 foot, 10 foot ceiling home theater? I don't see any gains.
Even with a 10-foot high ceiling, you wouldn't be able to tell when sounds were coming from above you?

Sanjay
post #43 of 204 Old 07-02-2014, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I beg to differ with CinemaAndy.

When I constructed my current room, I had planned all along for Lexicon's Quantum Logic, which of course is still not available but I'm excited about the upcoming Atmos/Auro systems. I have 5 Height channel speakers installed in the ceiling and ready to go. I have a full Revel 7.2 system in use now waiting to use the height speakers which are also Revel In-ceiling speakers.

I have already spent time analyzing with my ears by using just the Height speakers with movies, etc. The floor has carpet over pad and Acoustical Solutions Sound Barrier material underneath. The sound produced is great to my ears and doesn't echo all over the place as you suggest and feel it will be fantastic with the aformentioned systems. It sounds clear and precise.

Last edited by kimg1453; 07-02-2014 at 07:12 AM.
post #44 of 204 Old 07-02-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 72
The way I see it, most BD are DTS-MA and there must be a very good reason I initially thought, and I was correct.
This brings me to this format-not having experienced it yet, I just cannot help feeling the whole thing will end up like BD audio now- mostly the DTS format.
post #45 of 204 Old 07-02-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^+1^^

He lost me when he, today, praised someone who decades ago prophesized that only headphones can do things right, dismissing all the new thinking and advancements in surround sound, acoustics, etc...

I'm in the process of adding front, side and rear heights and in consultation with my theater designer, we are putting the front heights outside of the baffle wall forward of the screen and aimed at the listening position.

The front heights will be identical to the LCRs and will be able to output the same very high SPLs. Side and Rear heights will do 105 db at the listening position, just like the lower side and rear surrounds... Now just need an Atmos SSP!

With the advent of new Atmos soundtracks and these new, additional speakers, things should be a lot of fun!

Last edited by thebland; 07-02-2014 at 06:43 AM.
post #46 of 204 Old 07-02-2014, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 64
These are pictures of my rear Height Speakers. They are located between the side surrounds and rear surrounds, but slightly more towards the rears. All have an angle to them of the transducers towards the listening area.

Just trying to give some idea's for other folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater15.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	145442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater16.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	145450  
post #47 of 204 Old 07-02-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
If you are in a 250 foot by 200 foot auditorium with 3 or 4 story high ceilings, 3D sound is worth it. For a 17 foot by 20 foot, 10 foot ceiling home theater? I don't see any gains.
3D is a function of where the sound is coming from, not linear dimensions.

All angles are available regardless of room size.
Scott Simonian likes this.

Noah
post #48 of 204 Old 07-02-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
If you are in a 250 foot by 200 foot auditorium with 3 or 4 story high ceilings, 3D sound is worth it. For a 17 foot by 20 foot, 10 foot ceiling home theater? I don't see any gains. The Atmos setup i first saw had downward firing speakers for there "voice of god" effect. The floor of any area is almost impossible to have any sound absorbent beyond a carpet, that is easy and safe to walk on. In a small room it's going to hit the floor and bounce up giving a echo effect, to me this ruins the effect. Most of the Dolby Pro Logic IIz AVR's i have seen in use had the front highs biamped with the right and left fronts. Why use a 9.1 AVR for 7.1 operation? If your a member of the Bel Air Circuit and can get DCI masters, and have the space for it, 3D audio would be well worth it. Last i looked Blu-Ray audio codec was 7.1, mostly 5.1.

While i am at it 5.1 surround served the cinemas fine for years as most of the surround speakers were mounted up high and pointed slightly down. So you got a sound field that sounded close to 3D. A personal friend of mine, and multiplex owner told me decades ago, "If they(studios) really wanted to do it right(sound), everyone would be down there wearing headphones."
You need to understand this is a hobby for some people. You made similar commonts a month ago about people who install DCI projectors in their HT's. It doesn't have to make sense - few hobbies do.

I don't get why some people chase a golf ball around all day. I don't really appreciate the difference between a $15 and $150 bottle of wine. And some people here don't understand why I need four racks of broadcast gear to play back a DVD.

Again it's a hobby.
audioguy, rx-8 and kimg1453 like this.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #49 of 204 Old 07-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
3D is a function of where the sound is coming from, not linear dimensions.

All angles are available regardless of room size.
Thank you. That was the answer i was looking for. Not being a sound engineer, but working around plenty of the guys and gals who are sound engineers over the years i have heard many, many do's and do not's. Dolby Atmos web site shows the CP850, 16 channel DCI PCM audio input as the only way to get Atmos. It also shows a 9.1 channel for home use. Auro on the other hand, plainly lsits a 10.1 channel for home listening formats, while cinema is 11.1 or 13.1 from 16 channel input?

Yes it is very confusing for me. Maybe that is why i don't want this but, i really do want it.
post #50 of 204 Old 07-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post
The way I see it, most BD are DTS-MA and there must be a very good reason I initially thought, and I was correct.
This brings me to this format-not having experienced it yet, I just cannot help feeling the whole thing will end up like BD audio now- mostly the DTS format.
This is from DTS own website. Unless i am missing something, it plainly show's up to 7.1 for Blu-Ray disk tops. SO how do you get 9,10,11,13 channels from a 7.1 disk codec? Anyone?

Maybe i am being biased and off subject here, i can't see this working at home. Feel free to correct me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	schema_dtshd__030894500_1004_25032013.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	145761  
post #51 of 204 Old 07-02-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
SO how do you get 9,10,11,13 channels from a 7.1 disk codec? Anyone?
Store it in encoded form (TrueHD or DTS-HD MA) and bitstream it out of the disc player. The 8-channel limitation you are citing is only for audio stored as PCM.

Sanjay
post #52 of 204 Old 07-02-2014, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Store it in encoded form (TrueHD or DTS-HD MA) and bit stream it out of the disc player. The 8-channel limitation you are citing is only for audio stored as PCM.
LPCM> DTS Neo:X processor and you get 11.1(12) channels. Has LPCM been delivered over HDMI yet? I know Neo:X has been around for at least two years.
post #53 of 204 Old 07-02-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
LPCM> DTS Neo:X processor and you get 11.1(12) channels.
No, when I said store the audio in "encoded form", I specifically mentioned DTS-HD MA lossless data packing, not DTS Neo:X matrix surround processing.
Quote:
Has LPCM been delivered over HDMI yet?
You're joking, right?

Sanjay
post #54 of 204 Old 07-02-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Has LPCM been delivered over HDMI yet? .
Dude, you have to quit posting.
post #55 of 204 Old 07-02-2014, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Dude, you have to quit posting.
HaHa. Such a lively crowd in here.

In other words, if you are not running DCI, you will be getting a sound matrix delivered by a AVR that is processing video, HDCP to name a few. Maybe i have no faith on the consumer brands, i just don't see or hear it. Dolby appears to have the upper hand. I can't see "true" 3D audio in a consumer product before the next five years. To get to consumer 3D audio and 4K/UHD is going to take a massive overhaul of BDA and company to offer more than "legacy" BD and players.
post #56 of 204 Old 07-22-2014, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemaandy View Post
haha. Such a lively crowd in here.

In other words, if you are not running dci, you will be getting a sound matrix delivered by a avr that is processing video, hdcp to name a few. Maybe i have no faith on the consumer brands, i just don't see or hear it. Dolby appears to have the upper hand. i can't see "true" 3d audio in a consumer product before the next five years. To get to consumer 3d audio and 4k/uhd is going to take a massive overhaul of bda and company to offer more than "legacy" bd and players.
doh!!!
post #57 of 204 Old 07-22-2014, 01:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
doh!!!
Yeah, the word salad is pretty remarkable.

Sanjay
post #58 of 204 Old 07-22-2014, 02:18 AM
Advanced Member

Since i never say "I told you so." I will be patiently awaiting all the new threads and posts about Atmos and Auro-3D at home on here and else were.

Now if you want to hear the true effect of Atmos or Auro-3D, visit a local theater that has it installed, both Dolby's and Auro's website can help you find one.
post #59 of 204 Old 07-22-2014, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Since i never say "I told you so." I will be patiently awaiting all the new threads and posts about Atmos and Auro-3D at home on here and else were.

Now if you want to hear the true effect of Atmos or Auro-3D, visit a local theater that has it installed, both Dolby's and Auro's website can help you find one.
😜.
post #60 of 204 Old 07-22-2014, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)