post #91 of 204 Old 08-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Well... so a Dolby Atmos DCI master whos blu-ray is only 7.1 sounds incredible (i presume in an xyz presentation) played back 3d upmixing processor. How many times have I said this would be true, exactly as I discovered last november in albiorix.....
Yes you have indeed been saying this. The biggest test for me will be to rewatch Redtails but in Auromatic 13.1 as I remember being so unimpressed with the standard blu ray mix.

But today, for a short time, I have been playing with some native auro content. The Mando Daio pure audio blu ray. Very good indeed, mixed in Auro 9.1.

Only problem I have found with this is that It will only play back in 9.1 rather than upmixing to the full 13.1 system I have available.

So tomorrow, time permitting, I will play the normal non auro mix and apply auromatic and see if there is much discernible difference. See what info gets pulled to the heights as compared to the actual height info in the auro mix. Easy to do with the Datasat. I'll just mute all channel apart from one of the heights and record that content playing back auro and then again playing back auromatic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	224737  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 204 Old 08-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

I have just spoken with Datasat and they confirm that if you play an Auro encoded 9.1 content in a 13.1 system one will only get 9.1.

This I'm sure is an auro issue as I remember reading that it can only apply auromatic on upto 7.1 stream.

This IMO is a major major flaw. If we start seeing movies released in 9.1/11.1 then we can only watch them back in their original format. Essentially we will never have use of our rears when playing native auro content as I believe 11.1 is the maximum channel count for BD Auro encoding.

Hopefully this means we will get movies in 11.1.

I hope Auro changes this.
post #93 of 204 Old 08-22-2014, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Agree that is a major flaw and Auro should definitely fix it!
post #94 of 204 Old 08-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Atmos Home Theater Experience events were held recently, anything similiar being done by Auro?
post #95 of 204 Old 08-23-2014, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
Atmos Home Theater Experience events were held recently, anything similiar being done by Auro?
They were held last year. The product is now in people's homes. Probably only a handful at the mo, but it's out there.
post #96 of 204 Old 08-23-2014, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post
They were held last year. The product is now in people's homes. Probably only a handful at the mo, but it's out there.
Coming soon to a theater near you, or home as it were...
post #97 of 204 Old 08-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Well I have been having a play with my new Auro encoded music disc and flicking between native auro and normal DTS HD stream using Auromatic.

So I'm switching between 9.1 native and 13.1 upmix.

The differences between the two playbacks is quite substantial but also subtle at the same time.

When played back as native in 9.1 the vocals are much more centred and focused and the whole sound stage is very resolved and full of detail.

Switching up to 13.1 upmix, I am of course using a different mix. The disc comes with a 2 channel PCM, 5.1 DTS HD and 9.1 Auro all in 96/24.

The biggest thing I notice first when switching to upmix mode is that the front sound stage seems wider and the vocals less focused but not smeary or blurred if you like. And the whole experience seems more immersive what with the rears firing and VOG. But this is at the expense of some resolution. I wouldn't really say one was better than the other, just different and I think the biggest deciding factor will be the content you are listening to.

I did a little YouTube video showing the differences in the height content when switching between 9.1 native and 13.1 upmix.

I have muted all main channels and only have the front and side heights playing. And I apologise for my dirty iPad. Needs a good clean.

post #98 of 204 Old 08-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

One thing I do really like is what the upmixer does to the bass. It seems to enhance it and make it much more punchy. But push the auromatic upmixer past 10 and the bass gets too hot, over cooked and muddy.
post #99 of 204 Old 08-23-2014, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So is loss of resolution in exchange for a more immersive experience a common theme of auro and atmos?

What specifically do you notice as a result of loss of resolution?
post #100 of 204 Old 08-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectionist2 View Post
So is loss of resolution in exchange for a more immersive experience a common theme of auro and atmos?

What specifically do you notice as a result of loss of resolution?
I wouldn't say so. Both of my examples were using auro just one was native and the other was upmixed. Both auro aproaches sound ALOT better than thru standard DTS HD 5.1. That just sounds so flat in comparison.

And when I state a slight loss in resolution when using upmixing, it's down to a slight loss in focus. This is due to the upmixer bleeding thru detail into more speakers than on the original mix,
post #101 of 204 Old 08-23-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I chose '6' out of '1-15' for my Auro setting. 'Small' room setting on same page.

Even when we were at '10' I didn't notice anything untoward.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #102 of 204 Old 08-25-2014, 03:38 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Hot off the CEDIA email list:

Hear Dolby ATMOS on Procella Speakers

See the New P6iW In-wall, P5 and P12 in Booth 850

Hear the state-of-the-art in Home Cinema at CEDIA Expo! In Booth 850, we'll have a full Procella-based Dolby Atmos 3D Audio system, with four ceiling mounted P6s - no upward firing speakers! Making its debut at the show will be the state-of-the-art Trinnov Altitude32 processor, which provides native Atmos decoding and unsurpassed audio quality.

Booth 850 is the home of Sound Developments, Procella distributor for North America. Anders, Chuck and Gerben will all be on hand with the Sound Developments team to welcome you and to show you the new P6iW in-wall, P5 speaker, and P12 active subwoofer, all shipping this fall.

To schedule an appointment with us at the show, contact Chuck Back or Gerben Van Duyl. See you in Denver!
post #103 of 204 Old 08-25-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
I thought Procella demonstrated Auro using Storm Audio last year. Why the switch to demonstrating Atmos using a Trinnov? Isn't Sound Developments the distributor for Storm Audio?

Sanjay
post #104 of 204 Old 08-25-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Home atmos coming soon to datasat rs20i....
post #105 of 204 Old 08-26-2014, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Good to hear and was anticipated - assume formal announcement will be around Cedia?
post #106 of 204 Old 08-26-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If not then , right after it.
post #107 of 204 Old 08-26-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
do you know how many channels will be supported? will they have dirac on the additional (if any) channels too?

thanks
post #108 of 204 Old 08-26-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

24, dont know about dirac, but another 8 channel card fits the machine so they could expand to 32. In cinema they do dirac 24, so there is hope...
post #109 of 204 Old 08-27-2014, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Interesting to see what the new Auro 3D receiver models will offer, the crux and Mensa are getting released officially very soon.
post #110 of 204 Old 08-27-2014, 08:34 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Has anyone seen an Auriga in the wild, yet?
post #111 of 204 Old 08-27-2014, 05:42 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
I thought Procella demonstrated Auro using Storm Audio last year. Why the switch to demonstrating Atmos using a Trinnov? Isn't Sound Developments the distributor for Storm Audio?
No US distributor shown on the Storm audio website. May be why the Auriga is apparently MIA hereabouts, even though it's ostensibly for sale.
post #112 of 204 Old 09-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Happy days. Auro have listened to my Emails and are enabling Auromatic to upmix an auro encoded stream to your full channel configuration.
post #113 of 204 Old 09-08-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Happy days. Auro have listened to my Emails and are enabling Auromatic to upmix an auro encoded stream to your full channel configuration.
Thanks!!

Any time table before it trickles down to us?

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #114 of 204 Old 09-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Thanks!!

Any time table before it trickles down to us?
Not long at all!
post #115 of 204 Old 09-10-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Looks like one of the Auro branded pre-pros with come with the competitor's format installed:

"I’m delighted to announce that our new flagship AV processor, the Auro-3D Mensa, delivered in partnership with Datasat, will feature both Auro-3D and Dolby Atmos 3D sound formats."

www.auro-3d.com/blog/breaking-through-the-immersive-sound-barrier-auro-3d-mensa-to-feature-both-auro-3d-and-dolby-atmos/

Sanjay
post #116 of 204 Old 09-17-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Looks like one of the Auro branded pre-pros with come with the competitor's format installed:

"I’m delighted to announce that our new flagship AV processor, the Auro-3D Mensa, delivered in partnership with Datasat, will feature both Auro-3D and Dolby Atmos 3D sound formats."

www.auro-3d.com/blog/breaking-through-the-immersive-sound-barrier-auro-3d-mensa-to-feature-both-auro-3d-and-dolby-atmos/
I am excited to report that auro and atmos should coexist nicely in our rooms, no need to do without the other.
post #117 of 204 Old 10-20-2014, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Auro coming to Denon and Marantz. Happy days.

Had a visitor today and here are his comments on Auro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzo75, post: 21288148, member: 656094
Hi, I am usually active on various 2-channel threads from the Wigwam, PFM to whatsbestforum and Audio Asylum. I am a big planar and horn fan, and have been actively demoing various 2-channel systems, everything from Wilson Alexias and dartzeels to multi grand ones at the Munich hifi show, including the half a million Vox Olympians and Magico Ultimates.

Today I stopped by at Nick's place for demo of the Auro 3d. I audition for music only, not interested in movies. I played complex music throughout, from duets and chorals in Bach's cantatas, to violin concertos, and full symphony orchestras such as Mussorgsky's Pictures at an exhibition and Scheherezade.

I am normally not a B&W fan for 2-channel, because I don't like their crossovers and feel those speakers eat music (not give out details). However, today I heard the above music reproduced better than I have ever heard. It blew away all 2-channels I have heard with the Auro 3D. Sure, maybe with a high quality 2-ch preamp you can get more timbre to instruments, but the benefits you get out of this, even with a 2-channel speaker that might not be at the top of your list, are tremendous. All sound seemed as if it was in 2-channel, yet there was more 3D and concert hall ambience because of the Auro. The bass was clean. And Nick's room is among the worst I have been in, most 2-channel systems won't work in it on their own. The fact that he can get such a sound despite it, because of his treatments and corrections, is tremendous. But then talking to him one is convinced he has done the inside out research of it all.

Sure if you throw in better speakers and better dacs the system will improve, but it beats 2-channel any day IMO
post #118 of 204 Old 10-23-2014, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Weird. I was asking Bert Van Daele today why the Denon couldn't do this since the Datasat was now able to do so. He said it cannot as a matter of artistic correctness. How did they explain this new capability? Have you been able to confirm it in your unit?

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #119 of 204 Old 10-23-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Weird. I was asking Bert Van Daele today why the Denon couldn't do this since the Datasat was now able to do so. He said it cannot as a matter of artistic correctness. How did they explain this new capability? Have you been able to confirm it in your unit?
The auro content upscaling was being added, not sure it is in but....

I discussed this with Wilfred in an interview and contrary to Dolby which preserves the directors intention it is possible in Datasat to take a 7.1 dci track and up-convert it to the array. For the record I am the biggest proponent of steam rolling over "artistic correctness " for the benefit of a more convincing psychoacoustic-psychovisual experience.
post #120 of 204 Old 10-23-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
The auro content upscaling was being added, not sure it is in but....

I discussed this with Wilfred in an interview and contrary to Dolby which preserves the directors intention it is possible in Datasat to take a 7.1 dci track and up-convert it to the array. For the record I am the biggest proponent of steam rolling over "artistic correctness " for the benefit of a more convincing psychoacoustic-psychovisual experience.
I fully agree with you that upmixing is a huge benefit. (Good upmixing, that is -- very few upmixers are worthy.)

Well, my discussion with Bert was casual, but he was quite clear. I guess the proof's in the pudding. If Auro-Matic runs on Auro content, I'm happy to accept that. I think that's exactly what it should do!

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page