Forum Jump: 

Old 07-16-2014, 07:02 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anything further on the OEM of this projector, it looks identical to NEC. It will definitely need to be modified however for greater than 2000:1 On/Off of the Insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
Anything further on the OEM of this projector, it looks identical to NEC. It will definitely need to be modified however for greater than 2000:1 On/Off of the Insight.
http://www.digitalprojection.com/Hom...6/Default.aspx or https://www.facebook.com/digitalprojection

i think the music is overboard on there video be warned.

This is a NEC unit, re branded DPI. I, after several attempts to get some info i gave up on them, they would not say if and when a 4K model laser was going to be released. The above is a true laser, however it's WUXGA(16:10 ratio) that translates to presentation(boardroom) projector.

This is disappointing as this was the only true laser projector for smaller venues that was coming out this year. All the other's are single DMD, single laser.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
http://www.digitalprojection.com/Hom...6/Default.aspx or https://www.facebook.com/digitalprojection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9EJe295tDE i think the music is overboard on there video be warned.

This is a NEC unit, re branded DPI. I, after several attempts to get some info i gave up on them, they would not say if and when a 4K model laser was going to be released. The above is a true laser, however it's WUXGA(16:10 ratio) that translates to presentation(boardroom) projector.

This is disappointing as this was the only true laser projector for smaller venues that was coming out this year. All the other's are single DMD, single laser.
The PH1201ql is hybrid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nec laser.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	167921  
Old 07-18-2014, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
The PH1201ql is hybrid.
I think i will sit back and wait on Christie.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:45 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think i will sit back and wait on Christie.

What is expected from Christie?
Old 07-18-2014, 06:46 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The PH1201ql is hybrid.
Thanks Peter great find
Old 07-18-2014, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9EJe295tDE i think the music is overboard on there video be warned.

The above video is for their Highlite Laser, which is WUXGA as you said, not the 4K Insight they "plan" to release in Q4 of this year. The one above is already almost available and will be shipping for one of our clients at the end of this month. It has no relation to the 4K Insight projector coming in Q4 except for sharing the same laser technology. It is smaller and a completely different chassis than the Insight 4K. I was told they will both share that same laser tech at Infocomm. That makes sense given their identical light output. If it doesn't get pushed back (which it may of course), then their 4K unit is still slated for later this year.

At the show, I noticed the lens area on the 4K Insight and it's significant protrusion from the chassis differs from the NEC images, so there is definitely some modification going on.
It looked very much like the NEC images shown in this thread, but the lens area was definitely modified somehow and looked different.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieTime View Post
The above video is for their Highlite Laser, which is WUXGA as you said, not the 4K Insight they "plan" to release in Q4 of this year. The one above is already almost available and will be shipping for one of our clients at the end of this month. It has no relation to the 4K Insight projector coming in Q4 except for sharing the same laser technology. It is smaller and a completely different chassis than the Insight 4K. I was told they will both share that same laser tech at Infocomm. That makes sense given their identical light output. If it doesn't get pushed back (which it may of course), then their 4K unit is still slated for later this year.

At the show, I noticed the lens area on the 4K Insight and it's significant protrusion from the chassis differs from the NEC images, so there is definitely some modification going on.
It looked very much like the NEC images shown in this thread, but the lens area was definitely modified somehow and looked different.
Here are some pics I took
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	168193   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	168201   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	168209  
Old 07-18-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieTime View Post

D'accord, but possibly for additional v/h shift capability.Or for better lensing.

?

For Maximum MTF (like in moscow fixed short throw lens on antivibration lens stabilizer, 2,300 special lens base) they should use 4k lenses, If you look at the specs of the nec 10,000 top of line 3rgb laser now a 3 piece system, NEC is not offering a 4k zoom solution in the 2.0 -.44+.66Zoom lense. for that they are preserving the 2k, that makes 2 manufacturers doing the same thing at (B+N @cinemac on) lens I observe using 2k lenses on 4k laser projectors.

The first company to introduce 4k zoom lenses on the shorter range (2-1r + z) from Europe developed a lens that met specification only with the projector powered off. whith the projector on the lens support was so poorly designed that it has sprung a brand new miniindustry to address anti vibration (where is my aperion stabilization system from Moscow dvd msb stacks subplat).

So a 2k lens may resolve better 4k than a 4k lens (that is vibrating through the projector's and extractor generated mechanical forces)
Old 07-18-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So the point above DPI intimates> since this is a 4k cinema dlp chip lets make it better through optics.

I agree, we will introduce the mother of all solutions, 6k+ resolution/zoom from a museum lens manufacturer that swallowed AMF optics last month. a List $42,000 to $47,000 high contrast element matches closely to the lightpipe constricting dimensions and optical print pattern.

Since a vibrating 4k image can equal 1k, a 6K+ lens solution that is inert in projection hush-box conditions; and that can perfectly stack 2 projectors for true 4k 2 projector screening is the only way to go unless you can match one of the Imax fixed lenses which would be 11 k resolutionand thus the best.

But the second best thing for 4k and even 8k is a motorised antivibrating lens.

Let me unsharp the image if I want to, let's not use 2k lenses due to lack of affordability. 6k+ smart lenses are here in 90 days.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 07-18-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well I hope that DPI has found a great 4k short throw lens, as there are none at moment. Maybe they are stabilizing in their front hood.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What is the point of 4k if you cannot sit close?
Old 07-18-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
What is the point of 4k if you cannot sit close?

Nothing.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

Old 07-18-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
6k+ resolution/zoom from a museum lens manufacturer that swallowed AMF optics last month. a List $42,000 to $47,000 high contrast element matches closely to the lightpipe constricting dimensions and optical print pattern.

6k+ smart lenses are here in 90 days.
Why always this secretiveness, if you don't want to tell, don't tell, because AMF shouts out Hyperion on its homepage.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The PH1201ql is hybrid.
So, we can savely assume the 12K/10K lumens units that are curently shipping, hybrid, split lasers, with phosphor wheel are also NEC(derived)?
Old 07-18-2014, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What is expected from Christie?
Streamed lined 6P RGB 4K projectors from 8-25,000 lumens. 30,000 hour light engine, small chassis, 45-60 pounds, many lens choices. I have seen nothing on price, i am sure it will be up there.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
So, we can savely assume the 12K/10K lumens units that are curently shipping, hybrid, split lasers, with phosphor wheel are also NEC(derived)?
That is what i think as well. It is hard to say, but NEC, Panasonic was first up for that light range, followed by DPI and Sony. So you would have to think NEC is supplying them.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/show-pr...dingpage.shtml
Old 07-18-2014, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Cinetechgeek did a quick overview of the NEC, i linked that above. The same machine as the DPI, in a video above my post.

It is very compact almost as compact as the 12K lumens Hybrid LASER/Phosphor WUXGA (1080P model?) projector. It is rather compact for an RGB LASER projector, and given the launch of the hybrid platform at the beginning of the year I considered it might be an hybrid projector aswell.

The NEC LED specced at 2000 lumens was shown years ago at i believe Infocomm.

So, you are going to use a commercial projector in your home.
Despite my best attempts to stay in consumer range, i ended up with a 10 foot 6 inch screen height and 25 foot 1 inch wide screen in 2:39.1 in a 30 foot wide by 40 foot long viewing area in a separate building near my house that measures 33 foot by 65 foot long and two stories tall. That puts me well into "Commercial" territory unless i want to have dual or quad projectors to get the light output i want. And that is more costly than say, a Christie CP2215.

of course this project is still in the very early planing phases, if you want to follow along it is here, My private theater.

So to answer your question, no, i would never put a DCI spec projector in my house, but i would put it in a building near my house.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is what i think as well. It is hard to say, but NEC, Panasonic was first up for that light range, followed by DPI and Sony. So you would have to think NEC is supplying them.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/show-pr...dingpage.shtml

And the DPI replaced the 10K bulb Panasonics at Lang AG. That is clearly what they are gunning for.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
And the DPI replaced the 10K bulb Panasonics at Lang AG. That is clearly what they are gunning for.
That they did. I still was thinking LED would be the big boost, but looks like laser is winning that. I was told, on the commercial scale, a 6p laser is a 70% percent savings in electricity usage per month versus a similar lamp fired projector. I can only assume that goes for the smaller output laser projector's as well.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

In rental and staging and dry hire and distribution to commercial AV companies, lamp aging assessment, management,matching, last minute replacement, and asscoiated billing for this is always tricky or contentious, so solid state puts an end to this.

A few years ago Matthew Brennesholz at Display Daily already predicted that LASER (diodes?) would become cheaper than LED(idodes). That was for lower and very low output displays, LED was never going to provide big lumens. See how hey struggled for years to get beyond the basic 450 Lumens, and later the 900 Lumens. Even a three chip DLP is specced at 2000 Lumens. DPI is more trustworthy than most projectorsuppliers, but even when this is not optimistic 2000 Lumens is limited to small(er) screens.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Why always this secretiveness, if you don't want to tell, don't tell, because AMF shouts out Hyperion on its homepage.
ok I will not tell....
Old 07-18-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Well Peter remember your latest cry about people stealing 35% of your IP, by mentioning MiT. So, just mention http://www.hyperion-development.com/, because if you are looking to keep this info to yourself telling it is such and such company is not the way to do it, lol.

It turns out there are so many glass companies I had never ever heard of out there, these are yet two more.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In rental and staging and dry hire and distribution to commercial AV companies, lamp aging assessment, management,matching, last minute replacement, and asscoiated billing for this is always tricky or contentious, so solid state puts an end to this.

A few years ago Matthew Brennesholz at Display Daily already predicted that LASER (diodes?) would become cheaper than LED(idodes). That was for lower and very low output displays, LED was never going to provide big lumens. See how hey struggled for years to get beyond the basic 450 Lumens, and later the 900 Lumens. Even a three chip DLP is specced at 2000 Lumens. DPI is more trustworthy than most projectorsuppliers, but even when this is not optimistic 2000 Lumens is limited to small(er) screens.
NEC did have a LED light engine projector that they were saying was around 30,000 lumens RGB 3-chip DMD's. I saw it. And like the 6P Christie and Barco laser unit's it had it's own separate case for the red, green or blue LED's.

Then laser became the greatest and LED seems to have "disappeared".

So that makes me wonder how great LED projectors really are. If you have seen one of the 6P laser projectors in action, it will be another 50 years before they are dethroned.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Led has the advantage of little decay in output. With LASERs you need to build in lots of overcapacity to account for the serious drop off to 50%.

Well in product design I guess LED Diodes and LASER Diodes are probably not too different, so if one is offering more lumens or lower cost... But that is just my guess.

I only had reports of the 2000 lumens projector shown at I believe Infocomm a few years ago.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well Peter remember your latest cry about people stealing 35% of your IP, by mentioning MiT. So, just mention http://www.hyperion-development.com/, because if you are looking to keep this info to yourself telling it is such and such company is not the way to do it, lol.

It turns out there are so many glass companies I had never ever heard of out there, these are yet two more.
If you have seen the movie Thunderball there is an underwater battle where you can see hundreds of AMF VOIGHT diving masks whose glass came from .... ??? You gessed it. So a little deference for the makers of sir connery's diving mask's glass. ;-) And AMF Hatteras sea vessels as well.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 07-19-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:27 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Streamed lined 6P RGB 4K projectors from 8-25,000 lumens. 30,000 hour light engine, small chassis, 45-60 pounds, many lens choices. I have seen nothing on price, i am sure it will be up there.
I assume pricing on this would be at least $120K range or greater. Perhaps we will see DCI projector from Christie with Blue Phosphor laser for less.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I assume pricing on this would be at least $120K range or greater. Perhaps we will see DCI projector from Christie with Blue Phosphor laser for less.
I was pretty much told this for price comparison, A 2014 Dodge viper in the driveway or a laser projector. Nothing is final yet.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I was pretty much told this for price comparison, A 2014 Dodge viper in the driveway or a laser projector. Nothing is final yet.
It's still early, but my understanding is approx. 120k with lens is the price range for the DPI unit as well.