Erskine designed and soon to be built theater - what to use to play content? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 06-15-2014, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Erskine designed and soon to be built theater - what to use to play content?

Between now and the end of the year I will have the Erskine group building my home theater.

I'd been doing lots of reading about options for playback of movies. Unfortunately I'm not finding many viable options between the two extremes (Oppo single disc player and Kaleidescape system).

I know "there are home grown system" that sort of work, but ideally, I'm looking for a more stable approach. I'm afraid Vudu, especially sound want do the theater justice.

Are there any other options available. Weather bluray mega changer or movie streamer or a way to download ultraviolet movies.

Last edited by Tnedator; 06-15-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post
Between now and the end of the year I will have the Erskine group building my home theater.

I'd been doing lots of reading about options for playback of movies. Unfortunately I'm not finding many viable options between the two extremes (Oppo single disc player and Kaleidescape system).

I know "there are home grown system" that sort of work, but ideally, I'm looking for a more stable approach. I'm afraid Vudu, especially sound want do the theater justice.

Are there any other options available. Weather bluray mega changer or movie streamer or a way to download ultraviolet movies.
You can go the htpc route and just rip your blu rays, but in my experience this is not yet 100% bullet proof. A rock solid approach using proven standard components would be to get a MSB UMT plus, and run it into a trinnov processor. Not sure how familiar and comfortable erskine would be with this approach.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post
Quote:

You can go the htpc route and just rip your blu rays, but in my experience this is not yet 100% bullet proof. A rock solid approach using proven standard components would be to get a MSB UMT plus, and run it into a trinnov processor. Not sure how familiar and comfortable erskine would be with this approach.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the MSB UMT would be an alternative to just a stand alone Oppo player -- meaning it plays one disc at a time, but is not any type of movie library, megachanger, etc. server. Correct. It's basically a bluray player that has been modified for improved audio ouput (possibly some video processing as well). Correct?
post #4 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the MSB UMT would be an alternative to just a stand alone Oppo player -- meaning it plays one disc at a time, but is not any type of movie library, megachanger, etc. server. Correct. It's basically a bluray player that has been modified for improved audio ouput (possibly some video processing as well). Correct?
You can play from a library on an oppo based platform such as the UMT plus. You can stream using dlna or play from USB storage. Problem is you cannot play ISO rips anymore on 103 based player. Your need an 93 based player for that (firmware change). I still have a 93 based modded oppo (vanity digital output board and linear power supply), and it plays ISO rips from library on USB drive just fine. Not using it anymore since I moved to HTPC though.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not if you scour the internet for a oppo 95 or 93 with a firmware number ending in something like 2219, if you do send it to msb they'l gut and reniforce it with incredible parts there is a solid 4 inch copper triangle that is impressive, used for electrical purposes (not sure exac) for what. Performance is off the hook, never upgrade firmware or you loose functionality.Im taking about attaching usb and sata drives. Never use wd green use better drives MB2tera.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not if you scour the internet for a oppo 95 or 93 with a firmware number ending in something like 2219, if you do send it to msb they'l gut and reniforce it with incredible parts there is a solid 4 inch copper triangle that is impressive, used for electrical purposes (not sure exac) for what. Performance is off the hook, never upgrade firmware or you loose functionality.Im taking about attaching usb and sata drives. Never use wd green use better drives MB2tera.
BUT avoid drives over 2tb, because the 93 won't be able to read it.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That's what I encrypted Must Be 2 Tera. This Plays Nice With Barco Cinema 3D.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 06-16-2014 at 10:10 AM.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You can play from a library on an oppo based platform such as the UMT plus. You can stream using dlna or play from USB storage. Problem is you cannot play ISO rips anymore on 103 based player. Your need an 93 based player for that (firmware change). I still have a 93 based modded oppo (vanity digital output board and linear power supply), and it plays ISO rips from library on USB drive just fine. Not using it anymore since I moved to HTPC though.
How are you playing moves with the HTPC? One of the issues I've had in the past playing around with ripping movies and playing via a PC was things like if I stopped the movie to go do something and came back (if I hit stop, rather than pause), it would restart from the beginning, things like that. What I've done in the past was usable, but crude.
post #9 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How are you playing moves with the HTPC? One of the issues I've had in the past playing around with ripping movies and playing via a PC was things like if I stopped the movie to go do something and came back (if I hit stop, rather than pause), it would restart from the beginning, things like that. What I've done in the past was usable, but crude.
You should not have any of these issues playing rips in jriver. In my experience you need an hdmi video card though. Others have played blu ray video with motherboard hdmi. I always had problems trying to do this.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-17-2014, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Check out my home theater PCas pre-pro thread. I'm using a HTPC instead of a pre-pro. Storage is on a NAS outside the room. The HTPC is completely silent (heatpiped, no fans).

I've had a HTPC in our showroom for 1.5 years. Generally it's been great, awesome sound and video quality. However there have been a few software related issues - JRiver not starting after an automatic update, Windows update resetting soundcard driver settings, that kind of thing. The PCs we are using run fine off motherboard HDMI for Blu-Ray content. Mr Dorr has had a lot of issues with his builds, unfortunately, he must be jinxed or something, but I think he has it working now.

Honestly speaking, for most people I recommend either Oppo or Kalidescape. I'd only recommend a HTPC to a hardcore enthusiast. HTPCs are just not stable enough for the average person, let alone their wife or family.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #11 of 24 Old 06-17-2014, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post
Check out my home theater PCas pre-pro thread. I'm using a HTPC instead of a pre-pro. Storage is on a NAS outside the room. The HTPC is completely silent (heatpiped, no fans).

I've had a HTPC in our showroom for 1.5 years. Generally it's been great, awesome sound and video quality. However there have been a few software related issues - JRiver not starting after an automatic update, Windows update resetting soundcard driver settings, that kind of thing. The PCs we are using run fine off motherboard HDMI for Blu-Ray content. Mr Dorr has had a lot of issues with his builds, unfortunately, he must be jinxed or something, but I think he has it working now.

Honestly speaking, for most people I recommend either Oppo or Kalidescape. I'd only recommend a HTPC to a hardcore enthusiast. HTPCs are just not stable enough for the average person, let alone their wife or family.
I have no problem building, loading and running an HTPC, but.... I travel to Europe on business and need something simple and reliable for wife. It's looking like Kaleidescape is the way I'm going to have to go. Can't believe there are no bluray mega changers.
post #12 of 24 Old 06-18-2014, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
I have no problem building, loading and running an HTPC, but.... I travel to Europe on business and need something simple and reliable for wife. It's looking like Kaleidescape is the way I'm going to have to go. Can't believe there are no bluray mega changers.
You can still pick up some old sony 400 disk changers.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-CX7000ES-Blu-ray-Changer-Black/dp/B002JIMRFC
post #13 of 24 Old 06-18-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Why bother with discs in a convenience for the wife application? Get an oppo and use the netflix streaming feature.
post #14 of 24 Old 06-18-2014, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Why bother with discs in a convenience for the wife application? Get an oppo and use the netflix streaming feature.
I'll definitely have that as an option in the room -- Oppo streaming, Netflix & Vudu. I'm not sure if Oppo does Vudu, if not, I would add a Roku or something similar.

In general, I'm going to be spending a boatload for the room, so I want to make sure that whatever solution I come up with has the best sound/video possible when I'm in there, and convenience when my wife is on her own.

I know when I'm traveling is likely when she would invite her family over to watch movies in the theater.

Speaking of movies, is it only the Cinema One that doesn't do 3D movies, or does even the server/player Kaleidescapes not do Bluray 3D?
post #15 of 24 Old 06-18-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hi, It does not play BD 3d for that you would need the obscure referenced firmware oppo and some 2 trera drives but not WD Green 54rpm get the 7200 by optional vendor.

You can also convert Kaleidescape to 3D with a teranex, Highly recommended.
post #16 of 24 Old 06-23-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Hi, It does not play BD 3d for that you would need the obscure referenced firmware oppo and some 2 trera drives but not WD Green 54rpm get the 7200 by optional vendor.

You can also convert Kaleidescape to 3D with a teranex, Highly recommended.
I started to read about Teranex, which looks to be from Blackmagic (we use a couple of their cameras and some other stuff at work). Can a post process 3D look anywhere near as good as watching the actual 3D bluray mastered in 3D? I know some movies have been post-processed into 3D, but most are filmed with 3D cameras.
post #17 of 24 Old 06-24-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I started to read about Teranex, which looks to be from Blackmagic (we use a couple of their cameras and some other stuff at work). Can a post process 3D look anywhere near as good as watching the actual 3D bluray mastered in 3D? I know some movies have been post-processed into 3D, but most are filmed with 3D cameras.
Most 3D movies lamentably are postprocecessed, some are spectacular Titanic but that movie has limited replay value otheresrs like GI JOE chapter 10 are a UNIVERSAL RIDE to behold.

The teranex works on anything, everything shot on video it will enhance, 80 percent of 2d blu rays it will enhance.

If you compare Clash of the titan 3d and 2d through Teranex you will find later absent a nasty artifact that looks like beveling around peoples necks and horses profiles. We used to successfully sell the vc-100 for 80,000 on previous theaters, with the price now sub 3,500 anyone with a 3d projector is negligent of depriving themselves of possibly the best way to watch 2d content, assuming a competent 3d system, IMO Passive.

But I am giving my competitors too much free stuff so over out.
post #18 of 24 Old 06-24-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well Peter with a 3d projector you won't have 'a competent 3d system'. Unless you have one of those weird lens Sony's. So not worth bothering with this box then. And would you need two for passive 3D?
post #19 of 24 Old 06-24-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
Well Peter with a 3d projector you won't have 'a competent 3d system'. Unless you have one of those weird lens Sony's. So not worth bothering with this box then. And would you need two for passive 3D?
Are you quoting me, because if that was my position, Ive changed it since.;-)
post #20 of 24 Old 06-24-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Belying your German roots, being a fickle Latino, Peter, lol.

So, get an Optoma or Vivitek and pay five times the amount this box, or you're negligent.
post #21 of 24 Old 06-24-2014, 11:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

a Catalunian Visigod ancestor maybe as close to German roots I get. Also rescuing people from Germany thru brewery connections, my dad and grandfather were master brewers so they had business connections mostly in Pilsner but that would be Czechoslovakia.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 06-24-2014 at 11:48 PM.
post #22 of 24 Old 06-24-2014, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Actually I figured a way to circumvent a reald lawsuit induced moratorium on good kit. so single projector 3d yes barcos are on the menu again.
post #23 of 24 Old 06-25-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

That's the passive not the active reald stuff? Ah, I mixed things up, I see, that weren't your ancestors on one of those turned away ships.
post #24 of 24 Old 06-26-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
That's the passive not the active reald stuff? Ah, I mixed things up, I see, that weren't your ancestors on one of those turned away ships.
Nope my granddad and folks managed to use influence with FDR being Harvard class of 1904 friends to obtain safe conduct to the Brach family (8) through some kind of Technical Expertise IP Wealth clause. This at a time the US sec of state was against it, and 40K cubans (upset over inbound former spanish civil wars liberals) created a gauntlet in the havana port.

Reason I heard about it is kind of cool, during xmas 1964 earliest I recall my mom decorated the tree with xmas cards maybe 20 or so. She was a phenomenal piano player from classical , to old cuban,to contemporary rock and roll, fantastic skill and ear. As I gazed trough them one by one while she played xmas tunes I came across one that said Happy Holidays from the Brachs that I asked where it came from, then my folks told us how they had to struggle to help get their friends off the ship and then again how they had to recruit help of Eleanor Rosevelt to get them the american visa. I thought my parents were heroes cause then my mother told me about Hitler, the next two years I made it my point to look for that special card and asked my mom to tell me the story over again. And thus my entire foundation about the spirit of xmas was founded in this powerful bit of history which I stumbled upon on that tree.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page