Old 07-02-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
What are the room dimensions?

There are some speakers that can be soffit mounted (not exactly cabinet mounted) which frees up floor space and has some advantages.

I also don't buy the ht speakers vs audio speakers thing (unless you are talking about a fairly large room with high spl needs). B&W have a custom install line for high output home theatre too. I don't know if they can be put in a cabinet but I recall seeing an install where they were built-in to the walls iirc
Room is Front: 15.2 feet wide by Back wall: 17 feet long.

Projector is recessed into wall behind Theater room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranowski View Post
I feel really bad for the original poster of this thread.
Don't believe a lot of what you read here.
There are a great deal of personal preferences and little else.

Go and listen to a few speaker companies.
Buy the ones you like.
Amp them with a decent amp.
If you want the best audio AND video don't put the speakers behind the screen.
buy used an save even more money.

Speakers are basicly in different classes like cars.
You cannot compare speakers in one class with another class.
And there ARE diminishing returns.

Bill
baranowski,

I've received more information in the last two weeks on this forum than I have in the last year of research on my own & visiting show rooms, with sales people whispering in your ear how good their equipment is.

Thank you very, very much.

Regards,

Dave
Old 07-02-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post
As regards to 3, I think Revel are great speakers BUT please see this quote from the engineer at Harmon
"I'm coming in very late in this thread but I just found out about it. There is a lot of misinformation running about on these pages and others and as such, I try to stay away. I simply don't have the time or patience to chime in on a regular basis to try to keep things straight. After 41 years at Harman as a loudspeaker designer, I am currently Chief Engineer for JBL, I have become increasingly annoyed by all of the false information being published in Audio Magazines regarding Revel. I am particularly bothered by the blatant WRONG information being stated over and over again regarding the Revel design engineer(s). For the most part, my designs have been properly attributed to me, whether liked or not. Unfortunately, the Revel speakers have not been properly assigned. The FACTS are as follows:

Mark Glazer is the ONLY Revel designer from the first model (Gem) to the current day. This applies to all Revel passive box speakers and all but a few of the in-wall offerings. Mark has been in charge of transducer selection, enclosure details and all crossover design. Exclusively! Anything published to the contrary is simply NOT CORRECT. Kevin Voecks is a Marketing guy. He is not an engineer and he has had nothing to do with the technical design of the Revel speakers. He is invaluable in the marketing and specification of the products and works closely with Mark in the voicing efforts. He is an important member of a team of professionals that bring Revel products to market."
Got it.

Kudos to the engineers.

But, the glory (and money) goes to the Sales people!
Old 07-02-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarbat View Post
Got it.

Kudos to the engineers.

But, the glory (and money) goes to the Sales people!
it probably should and does go to both. I have no problem with that!
Old 07-02-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Smile

Quote:
baranowski,

I've received more information in the last two weeks on this forum than I have in the last year of research on my own & visiting show rooms, with sales people whispering in your ear how good their equipment is.

Regards,

Dave
Maybe, but you have to use your own ears!! Please do not buy a 20k speaker on the basis of an AVS forum recommendation. I'm not sure what your designer is providing for you but speaker selection is SO CRITICAL to end audio performance I'm kind of surprised they are not providing you with more support. Certainly if I had a client who had the money but did not know what to get I'd guide them thought the process. Last thing I'd want is for the client to settle on a totally unsuitable pair of speakers that just weren't going to work in the design (putting a pair of speakers designed for freestanding use into a cabinet being one of them.)

Only trying to help, going to shut up now and do no more posting on this thread
Cigarbat likes this.

Acoustic Frontiers: design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Room is Front: 15.2 feet wide by Back wall: 17 feet long.

Projector is recessed into wall behind Theater room.
For that size room I would think you could use Revels or B&W speakers and get reference level if desired - horns/compression drivers wouldn't be necessary. BUT...as many other posters have mentioned, if you're planning on putting the speakers in a cabinet make sure you get speakers designed for that purpose. Otherwise you may spend a lot of money and end up disappointed. Who is your room designer? They should really be providing some input on a suitable number of products for your needs...
Cigarbat likes this.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
Old 07-02-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
I must say, I've received more information in the last two weeks on this forum than I have in the last year of research & visiting show rooms.

Regards,

Dave
I am sure you will absolutely love those Salon2, Dave.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post
Maybe, but you have to use your own ears!! Please do not buy a 20k speaker on the basis of an AVS forum recommendation. I'm not sure what your designer is providing for you but speaker selection is SO CRITICAL to end audio performance I'm kind of surprised they are not providing you with more support. Certainly if I had a client who had the money but did not know what to get I'd guide them thought the process. Last thing I'd want is for the client to settle on a totally unsuitable pair of speakers that just weren't going to work in the design (putting a pair of speakers designed for freestanding use into a cabinet being one of them.)

Only trying to help, going to shut up now and do no more posting on this thread
No problem Nyal.

I have been listening to various speakers. I'm mostly staying that I've gotten a much broader list of things to check out to see what I like the most, not that i'm just buying based upon the posts.

Especially the lists of speakers in the range that i'm interested in.

My designer was just hired on in the last 3 weeks or so. She's very knowledgeable on acoustics, design elements etc. She's doesn't like the speaker part because there are so many choices and she says the same thing. Get a list, go listen, but some people like a speaker cause they liked the sales person; but didn't like some speakers cause they were turned off by the salesperson.

Oh and she did say you'll lose some quality in a cabinet, but then there's not enough room to put them free standing in the theater without reducing the size of the screen.......
Old 07-02-2014, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post
I am sure you will absolutely love those Salon2, Dave.
I demo'd them a few weeks ago in Santa Barbara (about an hour's drive north). Powered by Martin Amps.

In an acoustic treated room.

Sounded sweet.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
I demo'd them a few weeks ago in Santa Barbara (about an hour's drive north). Powered by Martin Amps.

In an acoustic treated room.

Sounded sweet.
First time I heard the Revels was at a shopping Mall in Dallas.

So no acoustic treatment, just regular shopping mall space. They were placed about 6" from the wall. Not ideal at all as you can imagine. I played Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" CD and cranked up the volume. Man, all kinds of people came over probably thinking it was an Eagles concert. They were astounded and amazed like I was.
Cigarbat likes this.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think the Salon 2 is the right speaker for you given your positioning constraints. I would take a serious look at inwall speakers - there are many good options now that weren't available in the past. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
Cigarbat likes this.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Old 07-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
I need to check out some of those other speakers.
It's hard to find places that demo decent speakers.

Reasonably near Westlake Village are two dealers whose rooms at Newport Beach High End show I was extremely impressed with; you might want to visit. One is Audio Element in Pasadena, the other is Sunny's Audio/Video in Covina. From their show setups and the gears they used - not just good but EXAMPLARY :-), it doesn't get any "higher end" than these guys, if that's what you are looking for. They both carry Wilson; also many other yummy stuffs such as Sonus Faber, dCS, Aesthetix (ex engineer of Theta).

You already have the correct approoach - listen in person. The idea is to train your ears to listen for why and how each speaker is different - and become a more savvy buyer in the process, and have fun. Shopping for ultra high end speakers is no different from shopping for cars, you shouldn't buy a car until you have test driven it. (Maybe with one exception - you could never be wrong buying a P 911, ok to buy without a test drive. )

A few people in this thread have suggested it's not a good idea to put these ultra high-end speakers in closet; when you are at the store, you might want to ask the guys why this is so and ask them to demo for you (why crazy audiophiles always have their front speakers practically in the middle of the room for music listening, and what happens when you move it towards wall, etc.).
Cigarbat likes this.

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - the processor for music lovers. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 Here and Diagrams & Surround Speaker Rec. Here
Give vinyl and tube gears a try - the sound from heaven :-).

Last edited by cannga; 07-04-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
you could never be wrong buying a P 911, ok to buy without a test drive.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post
I agree.. or even the Platinums should be considered.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
Old 07-13-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
lol, thanks for the laugh Donald

Old 07-14-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post
I agree.. or even the Platinums should be considered.
I would definitely take a look at the Plats. They are a speaker that works very well for a music/HT system. If we can help you, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 07-15-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 91
You might also look at the new KEF 3160 / 5160 THX certified in walls. Based on the R series drivers. Extremely well made - solid aluminum baffle and beefy clamping. High output, enough to meet THX specs, which is reference level at 12ft.
Cigarbat likes this.

Acoustic Frontiers: design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post
You might also look at the new KEF 3160 / 5160 THX certified in walls. Based on the R series drivers. Extremely well made - solid aluminum baffle and beefy clamping. High output, enough to meet THX specs, which is reference level at 12ft.
I'm having 2nd thoughts on putting the Reference speakers in the theater room.

For design aesthetics and music appreciation, I have a gym that is in the backyard off of the garage - that I never use. I'm thinking of putting the reference speakers in there and turning it into my "music" appreciation room.

In walls speakers behind the screen will allow more design elements and less crowded feel by not cramming in all of the speakers

I need to check out some quality in wall fronts & center that will give me that wow sound and clarity.