Home Theater Remodel - Need Hi End Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2014, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile Home Theater Remodel - Need Hi End Speakers

Hi,

First time here. I'm remodeling my home theater (it's about 16 years old) that came with the home purchase a few years ago.

We demo'd the inside of room, I have a designer/acoustics person putting together a design, BUT I need choose my front speakers (I want to listen to music half the time).

I like the Revel Ultima Studio 2's, but I'm really not sure what I'm doing when it comes to hi end speakers like this.

Can someone point me in the direction of comparable speakers? Also, what should I be looking for as Im researching them?

Thanks
Cigarbat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-25-2014, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
Nyal Mellor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SF Bay Area, California, USA
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarbat View Post
Hi,

First time here. I'm remodeling my home theater (it's about 16 years old) that came with the home purchase a few years ago.

We demo'd the inside of room, I have a designer/acoustics person putting together a design, BUT I need choose my front speakers (I want to listen to music half the time).

I like the Revel Ultima Studio 2's, but I'm really not sure what I'm doing when it comes to hi end speakers like this.

Can someone point me in the direction of comparable speakers? Also, what should I be looking for as Im researching them?

Thanks
Two channel music?

There is always a compromise for combining a music and home theater system in one space using same speaker system. Typically the best speakers for HT are not the best speakers for music. There are a select few 'no compromise' cinematic SPL level capable speakers out there that would work for both: Wisdom Audio, Steinway Lyngdorf, JBL M2. Outside of this small group you'll find the best speakers for HT are not the best speakers for audio, and vice versa.

Another option is to use two speaker systems. A nice pair of stereo speakers placed out into the room for two channel and a set of HT speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen. You can spend more on one set of another depending on your priorities.

You could also use a drop down screen, that way it's out of the room visually and acoustically when you are listening to music.

If I were you I'd push your designer for more support. Presuming a capable designer the project will end up better for everyone if they are guiding you through the process of speaker selection / audio design rather than leaving you out in the wilderness of the AVS forum to fend for yourself.
adidino likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Nyal Mellor is offline  
Old 06-25-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
edorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarbat View Post
Hi,

First time here. I'm remodeling my home theater (it's about 16 years old) that came with the home purchase a few years ago.

We demo'd the inside of room, I have a designer/acoustics person putting together a design, BUT I need choose my front speakers (I want to listen to music half the time).

I like the Revel Ultima Studio 2's, but I'm really not sure what I'm doing when it comes to hi end speakers like this.

Can someone point me in the direction of comparable speakers? Also, what should I be looking for as Im researching them?

Thanks
You can save a ton by getting a used pair of the Revel Studio 1 used for around $4K and matching center and the monitors for surround. Very nice system that will do both 2 channel and MCH very competently. I owned the Revels in a hybrid 2 channel / MCH system myself and it worked beautifully. However, you may not be the type to shop around for used stuff. Another brand worth looking into is B&W.
edorr is offline  
Old 06-25-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dbuudo07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
A member who had the Ultima 2s, replaced them with JTRs and never went back. Look at the JTR Noesis 215RTs. High end components used throughout the speaker and it's getting solid feedback. Automotive finishes are available pushing the price to around $4k. Definitely something to look into, despite it not being the typical "high end" speaker brand.

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/noesis-215rt/

These are truly full range speakers being able to hit reference levels from 18hz-20khz with controlled authority and a huge soundstage.

Last edited by Dbuudo07; 06-25-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Dbuudo07 is offline  
Old 06-26-2014, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post
Two channel music?

There is always a compromise for combining a music and home theater system in one space using same speaker system. Typically the best speakers for HT are not the best speakers for music. There are a select few 'no compromise' cinematic SPL level capable speakers out there that would work for both: Wisdom Audio, Steinway Lyngdorf, JBL M2. Outside of this small group you'll find the best speakers for HT are not the best speakers for audio, and vice versa.

Another option is to use two speaker systems. A nice pair of stereo speakers placed out into the room for two channel and a set of HT speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen. You can spend more on one set of another depending on your priorities.

You could also use a drop down screen, that way it's out of the room visually and acoustically when you are listening to music.

If I were you I'd push your designer for more support. Presuming a capable designer the project will end up better for everyone if they are guiding you through the process of speaker selection / audio design rather than leaving you out in the wilderness of the AVS forum to fend for yourself.
"Leaving you out in the wilderness of the AVS forum to fend for yourself."

Funny.

Thanks for the info. It seems most only want to sell me whatever Speakers they represent, which I understand.

The Wilderness of the AVS forum is a lot less biased as a group (that I've seen).
Cigarbat is offline  
Old 06-26-2014, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post
Two channel music?

There is always a compromise for combining a music and home theater system in one space using same speaker system. Typically the best speakers for HT are not the best speakers for music. There are a select few 'no compromise' cinematic SPL level capable speakers out there that would work for both: Wisdom Audio, Steinway Lyngdorf, JBL M2. Outside of this small group you'll find the best speakers for HT are not the best speakers for audio, and vice versa.

Another option is to use two speaker systems. A nice pair of stereo speakers placed out into the room for two channel and a set of HT speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen. You can spend more on one set of another depending on your priorities.

You could also use a drop down screen, that way it's out of the room visually and acoustically when you are listening to music.

If I were you I'd push your designer for more support. Presuming a capable designer the project will end up better for everyone if they are guiding you through the process of speaker selection / audio design rather than leaving you out in the wilderness of the AVS forum to fend for yourself.
I need to check out some of those other speakers.

It's hard to find places that demo decent speakers.
Cigarbat is offline  
Old 06-26-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rabident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post
Another brand worth looking into is B&W.
I asked about B&W in the Dedicated Theater section and opinions by there were not favorable. Several owners reported good results, but the resident theater designers / dealers did not have much positive to say. What they had to say is relevant to the specific needs of HT speakers vs 2ch. so I thought it might be helpful to repost / discuss here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post
Nyal, do you know if the B&W htm1d is has good off axis performance? I was thinking of re-useing it my theater to save some money. I'm not convinced the speaker won't sound good from 15 or 20 feet away. I used to sit 12' from away and it would play way louder than I ever cared to listen to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post
Nyal can report his own experience.

The constraint with this speaker (and many others) is the inherent limitation of a 1" dome tweeter. If I recall, B&W claims +/-2dB on axis and 90dB efficiency. What they do NOT tell you is at what volume; but, typically they measure at 1w/1m. Measure at 100w/5m, you'll get a radically different measure. At 500w/5m, even a different measure...and even a bigger difference when the tweeter fails. The fact of the matter is B&W and a long list of other speakers can play incredibly loud; but, as the seating distance increases the in air absorption of the high frequencies significantly reduces the SPL of the HF content at the listening positions, hence, while having "loud" you do not have the same "loud" in the HF area. While the "Diamond" tweeter is much more capable than most, at 1 meter, on axis, published measurements show a increasing significant roll off from 12kHz to 20kHz further indicating the lack of HF response at greater distances. By contrast, several speakers (no longer in production) from a U.S. manufacturer, when measured at 1 meter indicated an increase in SPL (on axis) over the same range. Why was that? The designer determined their typical customer listened at an average seating distance of 8'. The response of the speaker was therefore designed to be +/- 2dB at the listening position. Certainly the speaker was "bright" at 1 meter; but, not at all at 8'. Again, back to the HTM1D, you'll find they claim the tweeter has a horizontal dispersion of 60 degrees ... what that is telling you is a significant amount of the HF energy is going to where ears are not ... further decreasing HF content at long seating distances. Compression drivers, wave guides and other mechanisms can be used to compensate for longer seating distances (and constantly burning out 1" dome tweeters). Also problematic with the HTM1D (and HTM6D) was the lack of timbre matching to any B&W L/R speaker. Some of the inability to timbre match is simply due to the physics which get in the way of a horizontal speaker orientation to match the timbre of a vertical speaker orientation.

Therefore...the B&W's will play loud and sound loud at 15' to 20', they will not however be anywhere near flat and significant HF content will be lost. That is just the way it is, and, in B&Ws defense they (1) didn't design their speakers to be critically enjoyed at those distances; and, (2) B&W has always preferred "warmth". Given all of that, the B&W speakers would be far, far better than no speakers at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post
It looks like an expensive speaker but unfortunately I doubt it. I have measured the B&W 803d before and they do not have a good lateral off axis response. That doesn't mean they won't sound good, if your side walls are far away or very absorptive. Nearly all vertically stacked / oriented speakers have dubious vertical off axis performance. The more drivers the worse the vertical response.

For home theater use I'm with Dennis. You need a high power handling driver preferably with high sensitivity or if not good thermal performance (i.e. they stay consistent as they heat up). Generically the only technologies that work IMO are compression drivers and air motion tweeters. There are some dome tweeters that work for home theater but they are very very few and far between.

 

 

rabident is offline  
Old 06-26-2014, 08:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarbat View Post
"Leaving you out in the wilderness of the AVS forum to fend for yourself."

Funny.

Thanks for the info. It seems most only want to sell me whatever Speakers they represent, which I understand.

The Wilderness of the AVS forum is a lot less biased as a group (that I've seen).





What is your exact budget for the new pair?


I can point you in the right direction, but our ears are not the same....so the best option is to find some local showrooms, and have yourself a listen. You will get hundreds of suggestions here...

Last edited by Deckard97; 06-26-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Deckard97 is offline  
Old 06-26-2014, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard97 View Post
What is your exact budget for the new pair?


I can point you in the right direction, but our ears are not the same....so the best option is to find some local showrooms, and have yourself a listen. You will get hundreds of suggestions here...
I'm willing to go up to about the $20K range, but always looking for a good deal.

I've been able to pick up the Sony 4K 600VWs (retail $15,000) for half price - new in box. And my Marrantz 8801 11.2 channels for an excellent price (they fell off of a truck that was circling the neighborhood

I was mostly looking for some suggestions of high quality speaker that would be good for both HT & 2 channel audio.

I live in Westlake Village, CA which borders Los Angeles.
Cigarbat is offline  
Old 06-26-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,082
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Are you looking for speakers to go behind an acoustically transparent screen or for tower speakers out in the room?


Do you prefer this picture with or without the tower speakers?


For movies, I think AT is the way to go, but if you're more into music, then maybe you like more focus on the speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smarthome.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	137417  
rcohen is online now  
Old 06-26-2014, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Are you looking for speakers to go behind an acoustically transparent screen or for tower speakers out in the room?


Do you prefer this picture with or without the tower speakers?


For movies, I think AT is the way to go, but if you're more into music, then maybe you like more focus on the speakers.
I'm not a fan of behind the screen. It seems to give it an ever so slight muffle.

Also The LR will be in a cabinet, that I'd like to open when just listening to music sometimes.

I'd like to focus on the speakers.

Again at this point I'm mainly trying to identify the speakers that are in the same class as the Revel Ultima's so I can plan on demo-ing various ones.

I've found a few by doing general research online. I kinda wished there would be a listing of speakers in different price ranges, so one can just gather up the 4 or 5 to listen to.
Cigarbat is offline  
Old 06-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarbat View Post
I'm willing to go up to about the $20K range, but always looking for a good deal.

I've been able to pick up the Sony 4K 600VWs (retail $15,000) for half price - new in box. And my Marrantz 8801 11.2 channels for an excellent price (they fell off of a truck that was circling the neighborhood

I was mostly looking for some suggestions of high quality speaker that would be good for both HT & 2 channel audio.

I live in Westlake Village, CA which borders Los Angeles.


Contact PBN Montana Loudspeakers. They are based out of California, possibly near your location. With a budget of $20k I'm sure you'll find the perfect set.


PBN makes speakers from $2k all the way up to $85K a pair. Good Luck!
Deckard97 is offline  
Old 06-26-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,082
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 72
A microperf screen will affect the sound, but a weave screen is closer to a speaker grill. For example Seymour AV Center Stage.


On the other hand, if you are planning on building speakers into a cabinet, it would be good to look at speakers that are designed for that.


Some good ones often used for home theater are JTR 212HT (passive) and Seaton Catalyst 12 (active).
http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/noesis-212ht/
http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...erview-3044980


These would work well either in a cabinet or behind a screen. Not as pretty as Revels, though.


Plus good subs in each corner.
Cigarbat likes this.
rcohen is online now  
Old 06-26-2014, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sunny Southern Cal
Posts: 735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarbat View Post
I'm willing to go up to about the $20K range, but always looking for a good deal.
I was mostly looking for some suggestions of high quality speaker that would be good for both HT & 2 channel audio.
I live in Westlake Village, CA which borders Los Angeles.
For speakers similar to Revel, below are 3 well known, must-audition speakers. I would think the key for your search is to audition in person with 2, 3 of your favorite CD's. For a SOTA 2 channel speaker to double as hometheater, I would suggest you get the biggest, most full range front speakers possible. The front 3 speakers "dominate" the sound - go big on these. All these speakers have dealers in Southern Cal.

1. Magico: Ultra expensive and at the very top of the list. Fast, transparent, sparkling without being edgy. Sound airy and transparent (the most difficult of quality to achieve) like a panel speaker. The big Magico is possibly the best system I've ever auditioned in 20 years as an audiophile. Minus: ultra expensive, might sound better with tubes, reserved probably only the nuttiest and most dedicated audiophile as it is picky what it sounds best with. Then you will be in heaven.

2. Wilson Audio: Stunning 3D soundstage, pinpoint imaging, brighter than the Magico, but no less enthralling, just different. Physically stunning to look at; really, just a thing of beauty. Ferrari paint finish option. Minus: Might sound better with tube amps. Also very picky what it sounds best with. Like Magico, I don't recommend these unless you are a seasoned audiophile as component matching is a pain in the derriere.
This speaker is the opposite of Aerial Acoustics below: Wilson is bright, Aerial warm; no right or wrong as both are fantastic.

3. Aerial Acoustics: Huge, satisfying, punchy bass, smooth high end, great soundstage depth, does everything well. Warmer sounding than the other 3 and probably the easiest to match components with. I tend to recommend this for people who have not been in high end audio for a long time because it is easy to make them sing. This company has been an audiophile favorite for many years. The top of the line 20T received Stereophile's product of the year and I would love to audition this one of these days.

3. Revel: You already know the outstanding Salon. The designer Kevin Voecks gave a demo of these speakers a couple of years ago in the Newport Beach High End show and I fell in love with the speakers. Extreme high resolution, smooth high end, punchy bass, also more friendly than Wilson.
Cigarbat likes this.

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - THE processor for audiophiles!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give vinyl and tube gears a try - the sound from heaven :-).

Last edited by cannga; 06-26-2014 at 08:08 PM.
cannga is online now  
Old 06-26-2014, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
For speakers similar to Revel, below are 3 well known, must-audition speakers. I would think the key for your search is to audition in person with 2, 3 of your favorite CD's. For a SOTA 2 channel speaker to double as hometheater, I would suggest you get the biggest, most full range front speakers possible. The front 3 speakers "dominate" the sound - go big on these. All these speakers have dealers in Southern Cal.

1. Magico: Ultra expensive and at the very top of the list. Fast, transparent, sparkling without being edgy. Sound airy and transparent (the most difficult of quality to achieve) like a panel speaker. The big Magico is possibly the best system I've ever auditioned in 20 years as an audiophile. Minus: ultra expensive, might sound better with tubes, reserved probably only the nuttiest and most dedicated audiophile as it is picky what it sounds best with. Then you will be in heaven.

2. Wilson Audio: Stunning 3D soundstage, pinpoint imaging, brighter than the Magico, but no less enthralling, just different. Physically stunning to look at; really, just a thing of beauty. Ferrari paint finish option. Minus: Might sound better with tube amps. Also very picky what it sounds best with. Like Magico, I don't recommend these unless you are a seasoned audiophile as component matching is a pain in the derriere.
This speaker is the opposite of Aerial Acoustics below: Wilson is bright, Aerial warm; no right or wrong as both are fantastic.

3. Aerial Acoustics: Huge, satisfying, punchy bass, smooth high end, great soundstage depth, does everything well. Warmer sounding than the other 3 and probably the easiest to match components with. I tend to recommend this for people who have not been in high end audio for a long time because it is easy to make them sing. This company has been an audiophile favorite for many years. The top of the line 20T received Stereophile's product of the year and I would love to audition this one of these days.

3. Revel: You already know the outstanding Salon. The designer Kevin Voecks gave a demo of these speakers a couple of years ago in the Newport Beach High End show and I fell in love with the speakers. Extreme high resolution, smooth high end, punchy bass, also more friendly than Wilson.
Excellent. There definitely on my list to research.

Thank you.

Now I have a lot of work to do on amps, screen and surrounds.
Cigarbat is offline  
Old 06-26-2014, 11:46 PM
Senior Member
 
tpaxadpom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
cannga gave you a good summary of how those speakers would sound based on his experience. If you listen to music and planning on placing these hi-end speakers in the cabinet, you are simply wasting money. If you buy them for looks then it is a different story. I usually recommend 2 separate rooms if your house allows. One for movies and one for music. Different components, different acoustical treatment, different speakers. You simply cannot get 3D imaging and a good bass response with 2 channel music playback if you place the speakers that were designed to work in free space next to a wall, even worth inside the cabinet.
Another aspect you should pay a lot of attention to is a center channel speaker. There are tons of companies that make nice floor standers but don't have a good matching center channel speaker. Center channel is the most important speaker for movies, so don't forget to listen to it when you shop for speakers.
Cigarbat likes this.
tpaxadpom is offline  
Old 06-27-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PeterS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 2,359
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Aerial acoustics makes a sound system/speaker wall that will be ideal for what you are trying to do.

However, if you are looking for quality two-channel music, NO system will sound good if you place the speakers inside a cabinet. You are simply wasting your money. I sell a lot of speakers, from a few thousand a pair to several hundred thousand a pair. Other than the Aerial approach, there is very little I can recommend, except perhaps for Wisdom audio, but those all well outside your budget and are heavily DSPed.

Check these out:
http://www.aerialacoustics.com/produ...em1/index.aspx
Cigarbat likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Affiliated
PeterS is offline  
Old 06-27-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DanFrancis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Aurora, IL, USA
Posts: 1,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
California Audio Technology.

CAT can build the speakers precisely to fit into cabinets and tune them for optimum performance in that position. There are several showrooms with demo systems in the LA area- Robert's Home Audio Video has a completely concealed system that will blow you away.

You could also visit Brentwood Communications- they too have a CAT demo system to hear. Anything CAT builds can be made to be in the wall, in a cabinet, or freestanding- you decide what you need for your budget and go from there.

Listening is free, and I'd say it's worth your time to go listen.

Dan

P.S. yes- I'm biased, I have CAT speakers, worked there, and continue to have a relationship with the people there. Still some of the best systems I've heard at any price point, and the only ones that can adapt to any conditions you need.
Cigarbat likes this.

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DanFrancis is online now  
Old 06-27-2014, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
Nyal Mellor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SF Bay Area, California, USA
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Confirming the comments above, don't use speakers designed for use away from walls (that would be virtually ALL '2 channel speakers') in a cabinet. Use some speakers specifically designed for on/in wall.

I've heard all the speakers around $20k from the mfg on Cannga's list. My nod would go to the Aerial 20Ts out of that list, Revel second.

Do you have any problems with two separate speaker systems? HT system in wall behind screen, 2 channel out into the room. You can use variable acoustics to tailor room environment for one use or another.
Cigarbat likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Nyal Mellor is offline  
Old 06-27-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
CINERAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: everywhere
Posts: 12,670
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 67
The exception to that rule is if you convert dynaudio c4's from ported to sealed.

Helene 3 C4 center channels behind the screen. System showing worlds first zoom memory ht.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=tX8Da_AuOkA

HTML Code:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tX8Da_AuOkA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In prometheus the second audiophile sounding torus room by using massive amounts of cotton we preserved a fabulous soundstage, that later when calibrated and customized by Carl H.




Thank you guys for forcing the pic search now I will be adding 4 confidence ones into the mix to auro/atmos-cise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prometheus11 (2).jpg
Views:	332
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	138449   Click image for larger version

Name:	carl.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	138457   Click image for larger version

Name:	prometheus atmos.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	138465  
Cigarbat likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 06-27-2014 at 11:19 AM.
CINERAMAX is online now  
Old 06-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Senior Member
 
mopgcw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SF CA
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
fwiw, I have used the revel salon 1 -- voice, and revel embrace rears as a surround/music combo. it really has been a joy over the past 10 years tremendous on music in stereo and lovely on movies. currently thinking of moving to the giya g3's with their center and V1w for rears now. i never bought the whole what is good for music isnt good for movies nonsense. enjoy.
Cigarbat likes this.
mopgcw is offline  
Old 06-29-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
The Bogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarbat View Post
Hi,

First time here. I'm remodeling my home theater (it's about 16 years old) that came with the home purchase a few years ago.

We demo'd the inside of room, I have a designer/acoustics person putting together a design, BUT I need choose my front speakers (I want to listen to music half the time).

I like the Revel Ultima Studio 2's, but I'm really not sure what I'm doing when it comes to hi end speakers like this.

Can someone point me in the direction of comparable speakers? Also, what should I be looking for as Im researching them?

Thanks
What are the room dimensions?


There are some speakers that can be soffit mounted (not exactly cabinet mounted) which frees up floor space and has some advantages.


I also don't buy the ht speakers vs audio speakers thing (unless you are talking about a fairly large room with high spl needs). B&W have a custom install line for high output home theatre too. I don't know if they can be put in a cabinet but I recall seeing an install where they were built-in to the walls iirc
Cigarbat likes this.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Bogg is offline  
Old 06-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
Nyal Mellor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SF Bay Area, California, USA
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopgcw View Post
fwiw, I have used the revel salon 1 -- voice, and revel embrace rears as a surround/music combo. it really has been a joy over the past 10 years tremendous on music in stereo and lovely on movies. currently thinking of moving to the giya g3's with their center and V1w for rears now. i never bought the whole what is good for music isnt good for movies nonsense. enjoy.
That depends how loud you play your theater. I had a client with Giyas and he kept on blowing up the rear surround tweeters. He's on JBL M2s now.
AltaHomeTheatre and Cigarbat like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Nyal Mellor is offline  
Old 06-30-2014, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
Brucemck2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Both of these are less well known, but exceptional in-room speakers:
http://www.salksound.com/soundscape%2012%20home.htm
http://www.selahaudio.com/id299.html

Or, go line array if they'd sit outside your video projector sight lines:
http://www.selahaudio.com/id282.html

I used the 12" Soundscapes in a home theater with Bryston 28 SST2, and also with BAT SE amps and they worked great.
Cigarbat likes this.
Brucemck2 is offline  
Old 06-30-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Randy Bessinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,279
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
For speakers similar to Revel, below are 3 well known, must-audition speakers. I would think the key for your search is to audition in person with 2, 3 of your favorite CD's. For a SOTA 2 channel speaker to double as hometheater, I would suggest you get the biggest, most full range front speakers possible. The front 3 speakers "dominate" the sound - go big on these. All these speakers have dealers in Southern Cal.

1. Magico: Ultra expensive and at the very top of the list. Fast, transparent, sparkling without being edgy. Sound airy and transparent (the most difficult of quality to achieve) like a panel speaker. The big Magico is possibly the best system I've ever auditioned in 20 years as an audiophile. Minus: ultra expensive, might sound better with tubes, reserved probably only the nuttiest and most dedicated audiophile as it is picky what it sounds best with. Then you will be in heaven.

2. Wilson Audio: Stunning 3D soundstage, pinpoint imaging, brighter than the Magico, but no less enthralling, just different. Physically stunning to look at; really, just a thing of beauty. Ferrari paint finish option. Minus: Might sound better with tube amps. Also very picky what it sounds best with. Like Magico, I don't recommend these unless you are a seasoned audiophile as component matching is a pain in the derriere.
This speaker is the opposite of Aerial Acoustics below: Wilson is bright, Aerial warm; no right or wrong as both are fantastic.

3. Aerial Acoustics: Huge, satisfying, punchy bass, smooth high end, great soundstage depth, does everything well. Warmer sounding than the other 3 and probably the easiest to match components with. I tend to recommend this for people who have not been in high end audio for a long time because it is easy to make them sing. This company has been an audiophile favorite for many years. The top of the line 20T received Stereophile's product of the year and I would love to audition this one of these days.

3. Revel: You already know the outstanding Salon. The designer Kevin Voecks gave a demo of these speakers a couple of years ago in the Newport Beach High End show and I fell in love with the speakers. Extreme high resolution, smooth high end, punchy bass, also more friendly than Wilson.
As regards to 3, I think Revel are great speakers BUT please see this quote from the engineer at Harmon
"I'm coming in very late in this thread but I just found out about it. There is a lot of misinformation running about on these pages and others and as such, I try to stay away. I simply don't have the time or patience to chime in on a regular basis to try to keep things straight. After 41 years at Harman as a loudspeaker designer, I am currently Chief Engineer for JBL, I have become increasingly annoyed by all of the false information being published in Audio Magazines regarding Revel. I am particularly bothered by the blatant WRONG information being stated over and over again regarding the Revel design engineer(s). For the most part, my designs have been properly attributed to me, whether liked or not. Unfortunately, the Revel speakers have not been properly assigned. The FACTS are as follows:

Mark Glazer is the ONLY Revel designer from the first model (Gem) to the current day. This applies to all Revel passive box speakers and all but a few of the in-wall offerings. Mark has been in charge of transducer selection, enclosure details and all crossover design. Exclusively! Anything published to the contrary is simply NOT CORRECT. Kevin Voecks is a Marketing guy. He is not an engineer and he has had nothing to do with the technical design of the Revel speakers. He is invaluable in the marketing and specification of the products and works closely with Mark in the voicing efforts. He is an important member of a team of professionals that bring Revel products to market."
Cigarbat likes this.
Randy Bessinger is offline  
Old 06-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sunny Southern Cal
Posts: 735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post
As regards to 3, I think Revel are great speakers BUT please see this quote from the engineer at Harmon
"I'm coming in very late in this thread but I just found out about it. There is a lot of misinformation running about on these pages and others and as such, I try to stay away. I simply don't have the time or patience to chime in on a regular basis to try to keep things straight. After 41 years at Harman as a loudspeaker designer, I am currently Chief Engineer for JBL, I have become increasingly annoyed by all of the false information being published in Audio Magazines regarding Revel. I am particularly bothered by the blatant WRONG information being stated over and over again regarding the Revel design engineer(s). For the most part, my designs have been properly attributed to me, whether liked or not. Unfortunately, the Revel speakers have not been properly assigned. The FACTS are as follows:

Mark Glazer is the ONLY Revel designer from the first model (Gem) to the current day. This applies to all Revel passive box speakers and all but a few of the in-wall offerings. Mark has been in charge of transducer selection, enclosure details and all crossover design. Exclusively! Anything published to the contrary is simply NOT CORRECT. Kevin Voecks is a Marketing guy. He is not an engineer and he has had nothing to do with the technical design of the Revel speakers. He is invaluable in the marketing and specification of the products and works closely with Mark in the voicing efforts. He is an important member of a team of professionals that bring Revel products to market."


Really!? Thanks for the correction and very surprised because Voecks *is* well known as a speaker designer. Among others, Mirage M3 which I owned, and which was my first introduction to audiophilia (incidentally designed with input from Floyd Toole's research work). Magazine interviews that I have read seem to indicate/imply Voecks being the designer and curiously he never took time to credit another person - this is why people are confused.

BTW, I am a little surprised at the tone of the poster: no love lost between JBL's chief designer and Revel's "marketing guy," is there? And post it in a public forum? Ahh... office politics at Harman.
Cigarbat likes this.

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - THE processor for audiophiles!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give vinyl and tube gears a try - the sound from heaven :-).

Last edited by cannga; 06-30-2014 at 06:30 PM.
cannga is online now  
Old 06-30-2014, 07:34 PM
Senior Member
 
baranowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I feel really bad for the original poster of this thread.
Don't believe a lot of what you read here.
There are a great deal of personal preferences and little else.

Go and listen to a few speaker companies.
Buy the ones you like.
Amp them with a decent amp.
If you want the best audio AND video don't put the speakers behind the screen.
buy used an save even more money.

Speakers are basicly in different classes like cars.
You cannot compare speakers in one class with another class.
And there ARE diminishing returns.

Bill
BrolicBeast and Cigarbat like this.
baranowski is online now  
Old 07-01-2014, 02:38 PM
Senior Member
 
yetis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I know this doesn't fit this discussion, but you might want to check out Salk speakers. They sound great, look fantastic and they are essentially custom made. The best news is that there is a web of dedicated Salk fans that often allow others to listen to their setup. The Salk sets that seem to be working the best today are the SoundScape 8's and the new Exotica 3's.

Scroll down here and you will see a brief discussion.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...ics-under-15k/

I now see the Bruce beat me to it.... So here is another vote for a Salk product.
Cigarbat likes this.
yetis is online now  
Old 07-02-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Statement pieces like Revel Salon2 are both beautiful and mellifluous. It has garnered speaker of the year on both Stereophile and Soundstage magazines for sound quality and speaker measurement and everything else.

But they sure are very expensive.
Cigarbat likes this.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
Old 07-02-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I must say, I've received more information in the last two weeks on this forum than I have in the last year of research & visiting show rooms.

Thank you very, very much.

Regards,

Dave
Cigarbat is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off