If you had 30k to spend on a 5.1 system, what would you buy? - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #31 of 78 Old 07-27-2014, 02:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I'm still trying to understand why you want to spend 30K on a 5.1. A 5.1 system? Really? It's 2014, 7.1 is here, Atmos around the corner, Auro-3D around the corner, 13.1+ systems around the corner.

If it was me. I would go with Klipsch THX Ultra 2 set up for 13K, includes: Klipsch speakers, Oppo Blu-Ray, Denon AVR. The rest of the money i would spend on sound insulation and room furnishings or a complete remodel or something, add a new any brand, but Samsung, panel on the wall and call it movie time.
oneeyeblind likes this.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 78 Old 07-27-2014, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
I'm still trying to understand why you want to spend 30K on a 5.1. A 5.1 system? Really? It's 2014, 7.1 is here, Atmos around the corner, Auro-3D around the corner, 13.1+ systems around the corner.
Don't you mean x.2/xx.2? Seems most I'm reading now have two subs with their setups.
post #33 of 78 Old 07-27-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
#Soapbox
When I was a younger lad, the first thing I would do when I saw something I wanted to buy (or something I desired) would be to look at the price and directly correlate that with quality. I just had to have all name brand clothes and, for whatever twisted reason, I felt like the more expensive something was...the more important I guess I felt. <---Look at me I'm rocking a $50 Polo... I QUICKLY got over that after I graduated high school and got into the real world.
My single mom was on welfare, so I never went through the $50 polo snob (Lacoste was the big name in my highschool days) phase. I never saw the point, since my more affluent Lacaoste shirt donning friends were not any more successful in getting laid than me.

Quote:
#Soapbox
Bottom-line... Price is not synonymous with quality/performance and any one that insist on making a direct correlation between the two (IMO) has a lot more to learn/experience in this hobby. Being entrenched in the DIY community, I find the more I learn, the less I really know. Three (3) years ago, I might have made the same guarantee that you did above, but now... the only guarantee's I would make are backed my law(s).
Of course price is not synonymous with quality, BUT a carefully selected and set up system on a $50K budget is going to sound better than an equally carefully selected and set up $10K system any day of the week. Speakers are not polo shirts where you can quintuple the price by slapping a crocodile on an otherwise identical piece of cotton. Will it be 5x better (whatever the hell that means)? Probably not (diminishing returns!). Will it be materially better? Hell yes.

If you are suggesting you can get the same results on a $10K budget than a $50K budget, and anything spend over and above is plain snobbery (i.e. marginal sound quality returns of zero) you are smoking crack. Now, can you find people with better sounding $10K systems than the system of some snob that dumped $50K worth of random gear in a room? Hell yes! BUT if you gave the aforementioned owner of the $10K system $40K more to play with, he would achieve a lot better sound.

DIY only makes sense IF you enjoy building stuff as a hobby. If not, the economics are horrendous and here is why. If I spend a day building my own audio gear, this is an opportunity cost (of time) to me. I'd rather spend the time drinking Belgium beer and listening to music. For me the number is roughly $500 day (i.e. if I can get someone to do something for me I don't enjoy doing, such as staining my deck, for $500 or less, I'll outsource the work without thinking about it). If you're a neurologist or high flying lawyer, the number will be higher, if you're an unemployed construction worker the number will be lower. At $500 a day your DIY gear is a lot more expensive than cost of components. Second, your DIY gear has resale value of zero, so you're stuck with it for life, or take a 100% write-off hit when you decide to build something else. By contrast, if you buy a used pair of JL Audio speakers for 50% or retail, you can use them for 2 years and resell at zero loss. Total cost of ownership is zero. So if you get enjoyment from building stuff - go for it. If you don't, don't even think about it.

Parting thought. I do not judge gear based on its price. I just sold a $30K DAC and replaced it with a $6K, because honest to God, I would be able to pick a winner in a double blind. Technology progresses. I have replaced more expensive gear with cheaper stuff many times, if something better sounding shows up. IN fact, I am cash flow positive on audio equipment for the year, and I have better sound than last year.

Last edited by edorr; 07-27-2014 at 11:00 AM.
post #34 of 78 Old 07-27-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 1211
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post
My single mom was on welfare, so I never went through the $50 polo snob (Lacoste was the big name in my highschool days) phase. I never saw the point, since my more affluent Lacaoste shirt donning friends were not any more successful in getting laid than me.

Of course price is not synonymous with quality, BUT a carefully selected and set up system on a $50K budget is going to sound better than an equally carefully selected and set up $10K system any day of the week. Speakers are not polo shirts where you can quintuple the price by slapping a crocodile on an otherwise identical piece of cotton. Will it be 5x better (whatever the hell that means)? Probably not (diminishing returns!). Will it be materially better? Hell yes.

If you are suggesting you can get the same results on a $10K budget than a $50K budget, and anything spend over and above is plain snobbery (i.e. marginal sound quality returns of zero) you are smoking crack. Now, can you find people with better sounding $10K systems than the system of some snob that dumped $50K worth of random gear in a room? Hell yes! BUT if you gave the aforementioned owner of the $10K system $40K more to play with, he would achieve a lot better sound.

DIY only makes sense IF you enjoy building stuff as a hobby. If not, the economics are horrendous and here is why. If I spend a day building my own audio gear, this is an opportunity cost (of time) to me. I'd rather spend the time drinking Belgium beer and listening to music. For me the number is roughly $500 day (i.e. if I can get someone to do something for me I don't enjoy doing, such as staining my deck, for $500 or less, I'll outsource the work without thinking about it). If you're a neurologist or high flying lawyer, the number will be higher, if you're an unemployed construction worker the number will be lower. At $500 a day your DIY gear is a lot more expensive than cost of components. Second, your DIY gear has resale value of zero, so you're stuck with it for life, or take a 100% write-off hit when you decide to build something else. By contrast, if you buy a used pair of JL Audio speakers for 50% or retail, you can use them for 2 years and resell at zero loss. Total cost of ownership is zero. So if you get enjoyment from building stuff - go for it. If you don't, don't even think about it.

Parting thought. I do not judge gear based on its price. I just sold a $30K DAC and replaced it with a $6K, because honest to God, I would be able to pick a winner in a double blind. Technology progresses. I have replaced more expensive gear with cheaper stuff many times, if something better sounding shows up. IN fact, I am cash flow positive on audio equipment for the year, and I have better sound than last year.
Ok. Thanks.
post #35 of 78 Old 07-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post
Don't you mean x.2/xx.2? Seems most I'm reading now have two subs with their setups.
With Dolby Atmos or Auro-3D home offerings it can actually read up to xx.2.xx So there is that to consider.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.
post #36 of 78 Old 07-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
any comparison b&w / martinlogan with the JTRs ?
post #37 of 78 Old 07-27-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by stile View Post
hey guys, i'm in the market for a 5.1 system, and am looking to spend 25-30k (that's including tax). can anyone help me with some recommendations?

for speakers i've been looking at the B&W 803 diamonds for L/R, center would be B&W CM Centre 2 (cabinet has max 11 inch height so the HTM4 won't fit), and rears would be B&W PM1. subwoofer i'm not sure of, DB1 might be overkill.

the room is around 20 feet by 13.5 feet, no acoustic treatment as it backs on to the kitchen (open concept).

for the amp and processor i have no idea. any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I'm certainly a fan of B&W but if you are going to be spending $25-$30k, that's a heck of a lot of money, do it right in the speaker department or don't do it at all, in my opinion . Mixing the 800 series with the lower lines is a no no in my book, choose one series or the other so you can properly timbre match across all 5 speakers. In all honestly if you don't really value surround all that much (I see you only mention 5.1 and not say 7.1, 9.1, Dolby Atmos, etc.) and you don't seem to be trying to keep your surrounds in the same line up as your mains and center you may just want to stick with stereo and do a phantom center and skip the surrounds. That way you could get even better stereo speakers. On the other hand if you do really enjoy surround then if your cabinet is the only thing keeping you from getting the appropriate matching center for the 803's, i.e. the HTM2, I would seriously consider another cabinet or do what I do and stand mount your center and place it in front of the cabinet. Don't even consider a HTM4 if getting 803's, the HTM4 is just a 805 on it's side, no match for the 803. 805's for surrounds, sure or forget the 803's as mains and do five 805's. That would make a great compact surround setup. As much as I like B&W, there are much better subs out there than B&W.

post #38 of 78 Old 07-28-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post
Second, your DIY gear has resale value of zero, so you're stuck with it for life, or take a 100% write-off hit when you decide to build something else.
Actually, many here in the DIY camp have sold and built again several times. Though I haven't had the opportunity, I would be overjoyed to buy "old" speakers from some of them.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #39 of 78 Old 07-28-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Actually, many here in the DIY camp have sold and built again several times. Though I haven't had the opportunity, I would be overjoyed to buy "old" speakers from some of them.
While I agree...

Typing that just wasted 15 seconds of your life...
post #40 of 78 Old 08-02-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
While I agree...

Typing that just wasted 15 seconds of your life...
LOL, I think you were looking for this popalock,

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #41 of 78 Old 08-04-2014, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I take it that your theater is in a multi-purpose room and that your ability to do acoustic treatments is limited. I'm in the same situation and my suggestions are to make sure that you use multiple subs and that you lean towards the pre-pro or reciever that has the best room correction capabilities. I was absolutly astounded how my Casablanca IV with Dirac improved the sound in my living room / theater.

I use Velodyne subs and can recommend the HGS series that you can buy used for around $1K. As for pre-pros or receivers, I don't think that the CB fits into your budget and I'm not up on the other options so I can't really offer you any other suggestions.

Good Luck.
post #42 of 78 Old 08-04-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwinterberg View Post
I take it that your theater is in a multi-purpose room and that your ability to do acoustic treatments is limited. I'm in the same situation and my suggestions are to make sure that you use multiple subs and that you lean towards the pre-pro or reciever that has the best room correction capabilities. I was absolutly astounded how my Casablanca IV with Dirac improved the sound in my living room / theater.

I use Velodyne subs and can recommend the HGS series that you can buy used for around $1K. As for pre-pros or receivers, I don't think that the CB fits into your budget and I'm not up on the other options so I can't really offer you any other suggestions.

Good Luck.
To get CB IV / Dirac level performance for a fraction of the price, you can get an HTPC with Dirac and Jriver with exasound MCH DAC. Fewer channels, less flexibility, and only for the adventurous that are willing to deal with the aggravation of the HTPC route, but sonically no doubt competitive, and very cheap in comparison to getting a CBIV/Dirac or something like Trinnov. Going down this path would leave a ton of cash for amps and speakers.
post #43 of 78 Old 08-06-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 650
I could not imagine spending 30k and NOT putting it in a purpose built room.
Un-optimal placement of everything, Un-optimal acoustics, Un-optimal viewing, Un-optimal seating, Un-optimal electrical, Un-optimal soundproofing. Un-optimal everything and compromises abound.

I'd also rather listen to two 802D's than 803's with a mismatching center.

I'd also rather listen to 4 UXL-18's subs in an IB powered by a pair of inuke6000dsp's than any sub made by any company.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #44 of 78 Old 08-07-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
I could not imagine spending 30k and NOT putting it in a purpose built room.
Un-optimal placement of everything, Un-optimal acoustics, Un-optimal viewing, Un-optimal seating, Un-optimal electrical, Un-optimal soundproofing. Un-optimal everything and compromises abound.

I'd also rather listen to two 802D's than 803's with a mismatching center.

I'd also rather listen to 4 UXL-18's subs in an IB powered by a pair of inuke6000dsp's than any sub made by any company.
Well if you can't imagine not having a great sounding mult-use room then you should be open to the experiences of other posters who offer their observations. Since you have a dedicated room you probably can't relate to having to optimize ones available space. The point being made to the OP was that room correction processing can do a lot to compensate for sub-optimal room acoustics and should be an important consideration to his equipment selection.
post #45 of 78 Old 08-08-2014, 12:05 PM
post #46 of 78 Old 08-16-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
jbl m2
Hearing is believing. +1
post #47 of 78 Old 08-18-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwinterberg View Post
Well if you can't imagine not having a great sounding mult-use room then you should be open to the experiences of other posters who offer their observations. Since you have a dedicated room you probably can't relate to having to optimize ones available space. The point being made to the OP was that room correction processing can do a lot to compensate for sub-optimal room acoustics and should be an important consideration to his equipment selection.
It's not "impossible" to get great sound in a multi-use room but it isn't easy from what I've seen. I've heard 802D speakers many times in many different non-dedicated-room settings and the sound quality varied from abysmal to amazing. Just using that example since someone mentioned 802Ds. OP - If it is at all possible, try to audition some speakers you are interested in in your own room. Not easy to do. But it's a pretty good budget and you'd hate to end up disappointed.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #48 of 78 Old 08-24-2014, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Man...

These threads get old.

Dropping $30K on gear in a room with no sort of acoustical treatment is a horrible idea. You could spend $5K on speakers (Insert Brand) and $5K on properly treating your room and it would sound better than dropping $25K on speakers alone.

Either take the time to learn about the basics, or make better use of your budget and hire a acoustical consultant that can ensure you get the best performance out of the space you are intending to use.

With ANYTHING in life, you get out what you put in... Investing time into researching will either save you money on gear, or ensure you make the most efficient use of your budget.

One final thought. There is going to be a huge difference in price between a great performing product and a decent performing product in a very pretty cabinet. It's all about your priorities. If you even know what your priorities are?
you're right... i've been thinking about it and 30k is overkill considering there is no acoustic treatment, and the room backs on to the kitchen where there is a rather loud fridge going on and off. so lots of ambient noise. i think 10k budget would be more reasonable, so back to the drawing board. i'll probably end up going with the CM series from B&W and a denon receiver or something.

Last edited by stile; 08-24-2014 at 12:53 PM.
post #49 of 78 Old 08-25-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
you're right... i've been thinking about it and 30k is overkill considering there is no acoustic treatment, and the room backs on to the kitchen where there is a rather loud fridge going on and off. so lots of ambient noise. i think 10k budget would be more reasonable, so back to the drawing board. i'll probably end up going with the CM series from B&W and a denon receiver or something.
I think 20-25 is the minimum I would bother to do.

all you need is a fabric artwork piece to cancel obvious echoes, I don't know what you mean by loud fridge, but to listen to fatiguing sound because people are fraidy cats of normal family rooms backing into a kitchen, Ive done quite my share of these, and 8 out of 10 they rock. So much poppycock disseminated in these forums. I say take the chance.... Dynaudio esotar lcr sounds great in any room

Also dsp/dirac is YOUR FRIEND...
post #50 of 78 Old 08-26-2014, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
I think 20-25 is the minimum I would bother to do.
Peter,

Is this humor? Not having interacted with you in the past, so I can't tell.

If so, you got me!

If not, are you saying $20k-$25k is the minimum? Meaning, you would not bother doing an install for someone for less? How can you, or anyone else for that matter, throw out an arbitrary blanket $ figure like that? What is it based on?

Quote:
all you need is a fabric artwork piece to cancel obvious echoes, I don't know what you mean by loud fridge, but to listen to fatiguing sound because people are fraidy cats of normal family rooms backing into a kitchen, Ive done quite my share of these, and 8 out of 10 they rock.
Huh? Having trouble trying to disect this extremely long, run-on sentence. The OP has no idea what is room is doing in the frequency and time domains, so how can you say that "a fabric artwork piece" will fix his acoustic issues? Or, does saying "obvious echos" give you an out? A piece of fabric with a picture (art?), wrapped over a frame will pretty much do nothing in anyone's space. Add lineacoustic or ridgid fiberglass and it will at least have some effect within a particular frequency range (depending on thickness/density/ect..).

I mean, you could at least throw the OP a bone...

Quote:
So much poppycock disseminated in these forums. I say take the chance.... Dynaudio esotar lcr sounds great in any room

Also dsp/dirac is YOUR FRIEND...
I agree about the poppycock.

Having not heard the Dynaudio Esotar LCR's, I whole heartedly disagree that will sound great in any room. Again, an arbitrary blanket statement that the OP has no way of validating.

Also, while digital sound processing (DSP)/room correction/dirac may be your friend, keep in mind that (most) speakers are designed to produce a flat frequency response within their intended frequency range (fr) playback. A properly treated room, both addressing frequency and time domain issues (decay, ringing, etc...) will negate the need for DSP to a large degree. DSP/room correction/dirac alone will never be able to address all acoustical issues inherent to any listening space...

Take that for what it's worth...
post #51 of 78 Old 08-26-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Peter,

If so, you got me!

If not, are you saying $20k-$25k is the minimum? Meaning, you would not bother doing an install for someone for less? How can you, or anyone else for that matter, throw out an arbitrary blanket $ figure like that? What is it based on?

Huh? Having trouble trying to disect this extremely long, run-on sentence. The OP has no idea what is room is doing in the frequency and time domains, so how can you say that "a fabric artwork piece" will fix his acoustic issues? Or, does saying "obvious echos" give you an out? A piece of fabric with a picture (art?), wrapped over a frame will pretty much do nothing in anyone's space. Add lineacoustic or ridgid fiberglass and it will at least have some effect within a particular frequency range (depending on thickness/density/ect..).

Having not heard the Dynaudio Esotar LCR's, I whole heartedly disagree that will sound great in any room. Again, an arbitrary blanket statement that the OP has no way of validating.

Also, while digital sound processing (DSP)/room correction/dirac may be your friend, keep in mind that (most) speakers are designed to produce a flat frequency response within their intended frequency range (fr) playback. A properly treated room, both addressing frequency and time domain issues (decay, ringing, etc...) will negate the need for DSP to a large degree. DSP/room correction/dirac alone will never be able to address all acoustical issues inherent to any listening space...

Buddy what can i tell you, I use to do dozens of media rooms a year, recently I had a chance to recalibrate a 9.1 dynaudio system of my ex brother in law, the floor has rustic tiles, area rug, a peruvian macrame painting eliminating a back and forth side slap echo, and soft curtains on the kitchen breakafast window. The lr speakers are on stands and we messed with placement there, Its an all dynaudio system with a 9.1 digital sony receiver that is almost 10 years old, once we set those time delays to the nearest 6 inches, I COULD NOT BELIEVE THAT sound. This is 2 months ago. So it is possible to do such incredible sounding family room system backing into a kitchen for what was $20-25 of very careful component selection at the time. That is what was based on. In fact Ill get you some pics....

So there in my experience, and there were many other great sounding living rooms with dynaudio ceiling surrounds etc and esotar fronts that sounded great, the controlled directivity of the dynaudio and the sweetness of the esotar are well documented. So this intransigence that what I accept as reality is not, is what i refer to as poppycock, popalock.

Cheers!

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 08-26-2014 at 09:48 AM.
post #52 of 78 Old 08-26-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Peter,

If so, you got me!

Buddy what can i tell you, I use to do dozens of media rooms a year, recently I had a chance to recalibrate a 9.1 dynaudio system of my ex brother in law, the floor has rustic tiles, area rug, a peruvian macrame painting eliminating a back and forth side slap echo, and soft curtains on the kitchen breakafast window. The lr speakers are on stands and we messed with placement there, Its an all dynaudio system with a 9.1 digital sony receiver that is almost 10 years old, once we set those time delays to the nearest 6 inches, I COULD NOT BELIEVE THAT sound. This is 2 months ago. So it is possible to do such incredible sounding family room system backing into a kitchen for what was $20-25 of very careful component selection at the time. That is what was based on. In fact Ill get you some pics....

So there in my experience, and there were many other great sounding living rooms with dynaudio ceiling surrounds etc and esotar fronts that sounded great, the controlled directivity of the dynaudio and the sweetness of the esotar are well documented. So this intransigence that what I accept as reality is not, is what i refer to as poppycock, popalock.

Cheers!
I have no doubt thet the Dyn's look great in your sisters multi-media room. I can say with confidence that anyone dropping that kind of coin will most likely have a gorgeous multi-media room to compliment their speakers. That said, no need for pics of the space.

I'll take some fr and waterfall graphs though. I'd like to see objective measurements to supplement your subjective impressions.

Besides DynAudio, what other brands do you sell/install?
post #53 of 78 Old 08-26-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I can get anything I want. D'agostino will make me custom amps. but my favs are:Quested and datasat.

You are not getting the plots i promise. You can for $1,000.

No one has demonstrated here the kind of systems I have been putting together, I know what sounds good.And I am my worst critic.

But just ask the Bland. I find 95% of sound systems woefully inadequate in the fatigue department, when you follow my advice you are going to get as fatigue free as it comes, that's why Me no likey Revel sorry.

Some speakers are hard to implement and some like the dynaudios sound great in untreated rooms. That is the fact of life.
post #54 of 78 Old 08-26-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
A Funktion-One set-up would be tempting, but I'd probably instead look to hire or take a shared ownership on the Despacio soundsystem
post #55 of 78 Old 09-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Lots of LS50
post #56 of 78 Old 09-17-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 1149
1000 bucks for frequency plots?

Trying to pay for the measuring equipment so you can take some plots are you?

Hint:
Omnimic is only $300 and the value it would provide in giving you any street cred whatsovever - priceless.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #57 of 78 Old 09-17-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
1000 bucks for frequency plots?

Trying to pay for the measuring equipment so you can take some plots are you?

Hint:
Omnimic is only $300 and the value it would provide in giving you any street cred whatsovever - priceless.
That is my price buddy, you do not know my costs of living, and how much it would pain me to see my ex-sister in law, the price has gone up now to $2,000.

Thanks for the tip though.But I have 35 years + of street credibility already, you too will thank me in 15 years, its on a delayed fuse.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 09-17-2014 at 11:03 AM.
post #58 of 78 Old 09-23-2014, 09:02 PM
PF
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Full disclosure: I've sold most of the brands I like. And I like Genelecs, too. Lots and lots of impact. But for music, maybe a bit too much impact for some listeners, if you know what I mean.

B&W 802 Diamonds or 800 Diamonds if you can stretch your budget would be a really good choice as well, but they require serious amplification and cabling to sound their best. You certainly can't run these with a receiver, and not even a $5,000 amplifier optimizes them, in my opinion.

So, here's what I would do:

FRONT
Meridian DSP5200SE, pair $20,000.
Meridian DSP5200HC, $10,000

REAR
Meridian DSP3200, pair $6000

SUB
Meridian DSW, $5000

You'll notice we're fully one third over budget. Hmmmm. There are some significant mitigating considerations, however:

1. No need for amplification (or stereo preamplification) - it's built into each speaker. This represents an enormous savings. And frankly, the argument that dedicated amplifiers should be right there matched to each speaker driver is a strong one.

2. No need for expensive speaker cable - shielded CAT5 or 6 is all you need, and it's easy and cheap to run in very long lengths.

3. The understated DSP5200s fit into both modern and traditional decors.

4. You can control everything from your iPad/iPad Mini or iPhone if you like. The iPad Mini is especially nice. If you get a Meridian server - see below - you also get cover art on your iPad screen.

5. With the mandatory Meridian processor you'll need - the G65 is $7,000, and a bit of a bargain once you start looking at the competition - you get Meridian's sensational Trifield surround sound processing.

6. Most importantly, the sound of this system with either music of film is simply sublime. Yes, it's not Meridian's top of the line. Yet, in most real-world rooms, it is just about perfect. Don't take my word for it: Meridian has a great showroom if you're in the NY area that a dealer can take you to.

7. Add a Meridian music server like the $4000 Media Core 200 and you'll never want for anything in the field of the musical arts.

8. DSP processing means far fewer room and boundary effects, plus perfect bass time alignment. The sound you hear in your untreated home will be very close to what you hear in your dealer's tricked out showroom.
post #59 of 78 Old 09-23-2014, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk3030 View Post
One word. Bose
30K is a pretty good budget ,, plenty of choices out there,, ^^ maybe try those JBL pro speakers and then get some nice QSC digital amps,
and with the money left over I would acoustically treat the room , because I think that also plays a huge roll.

AND !! please spend save some budget to SOUNDPROOF your room !!!!

Because it DOES NOT MATTER how great your system is , when you can NOT turn it up .
post #60 of 78 Old 09-28-2014, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
hey guys, i'm in the market for a 5.1 system, and am looking to spend 25-30k (that's including tax). can anyone help me with some recommendations?

for speakers i've been looking at the B&W 803 diamonds for L/R, center would be B&W CM Centre 2 (cabinet has max 11 inch height so the HTM4 won't fit), and rears would be B&W PM1. subwoofer i'm not sure of, DB1 might be overkill.

the room is around 20 feet by 13.5 feet, no acoustic treatment as it backs on to the kitchen (open concept).

for the amp and processor i have no idea. any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
About 2500 CAN get you nice quality speaker provided they are within limits, and very good ones to boot (only 3 that I've seen 2 from DIY 1 from ID). But other then that...see below chart

I own the one on the below chart and they are very dynamic, lively and ruthlessly accurate. Currently using these with a Funk Audio 18.2 Sub, I hit 130dB clean not even at it's limits
Sound Quality backed by charts.
This is ONE Speaker in room, not a pair, 15 Degrees off axis w/ EQ (No Sub)

Want to know what speaker it is?

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 8.1 x64
Cabling: Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft

Last edited by crackhead2k; 09-28-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page