Mfusick likes this.

Mark Henninger
Old 08-24-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 91
To me the array system from steinway was a fiasco, I had spent coin re-designing the plans for Skoll with their kit, but when I flew to la in both their demos the lcr signal remained mostly reverberating behind the screen with maybe 65 percent getting through. No system should be this incompetent with the microperf, The Meyer Acheron is similarly crippled except it does only in the flatulent regions, a mid bass comb filtering ricochet back and forth, so while the steinway left the mid highs behind, the acheron only farts behind the screen, I advise to anyone considering this system for microperf to look at Quested that breezes right thru.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01c816b0_vbattach176849.jpeg
Views:	889
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	227409  

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 08-24-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is this with all their speaker lines? I was considering the S-series in combination with their Dolby Atmos processor for my HT.....BTW I have a curved Seymour screen with Center Stage XD material.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miliotov View Post
Is this with all their speaker lines? I was considering the S-series in combination with their Dolby Atmos processor for my HT.....BTW I have a curved Seymour screen with Center Stage XD material.
If woven it wont be that bad, but the datasat atmos*/auro & quested combo is the one to beat for now.

*coming soon....
Old 08-29-2014, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
I flew to la in both their demos the lcr signal remained mostly reverberating behind the screen with maybe 65 percent getting through. No system should be this incompetent with the microperf, The Meyer Acheron is similarly crippled except it does only in the flatulent regions, a mid bass comb filtering ricochet back and forth, so while the steinway left the mid highs behind, the acheron only farts behind the screen, I advise to anyone considering this system for microperf to look at Quested that breezes right t
I have seen you make this claim numeros of times and it has got me thinking. Why would these speakers be worse than other speakers behind a microperf? The Steinway line arrays work like other line arrays, so the logical concequence would be that no line arrays are suited for this application. And what about the Meyers? Same concept as houndreds of other designs. Would that mean that no horn/direct radiator combo would work behind a microperf?

My thought is that your bad experiences with these brands is due to bad setup. I have no personal experience with microperf so I cannot do any testing or add any personal experience. Just a thought.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post

My thought is that your bad experiences with these brands is due to bad setup. I have no personal experience with microperf so I cannot do any testing or add any personal experience. Just a thought.
I don't think so on Steinway LA I think that is safe bet those as wisdom should never be placed behind a microperf.

I am talking about the la are official steinway showroom in the beverly hills design center, with an auditorium using regular perf and the same thing happened or didn't happen, could not get through.

I have used Meyers in the past and they have issues, IMO ALL HORNS fall apart on transients, but the particular one was a very well designed aooustical space at infocom where the acheron were introduced plus the following cinemacon demo was equally farting behind the screen. there is something funny there. In the future when more Quested type speakers are the norm, we wont have any of this.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I have to stop by that booth.
Same here !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Old 09-04-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey ill stop by and listen intentively. Cheers!
Old 09-09-2014, 11:10 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 384
for $18,000 !!
Old 09-09-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
for $18,000 !!

$9,000 for Atmos + $9,000 for Auro-3D . . . Sounds like a bargain to me!
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Old 09-09-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Kudos to them though for seamlessly integrating the Atmos Speaker Array and the AURO Speaker array automatic deployment when playing either mode. This is a big idea. And it sells more speakers ()

Now if their speakers could only punch trough a microperf, this is a serious no-no forcing their clients into having no passive 3D. The easiest on the eye 3D until Laser 6p comes along.

They will absolutely beyond any doubt be demoing with a woven screen.

With 3D getting better and morer, this is sadening.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Kudos to them though for seamlessly integrating the Atmos Speaker Array and the AURO Speaker array automatic deployment when playing either mode. This is a big idea. And it sells more speakers ()

Now if their speakers could only punch trough a microperf, this is a serious no-no forcing their clients into having no passive 3D. The easiest on the eye 3D until Laser 6p comes along.

They will absolutely beyond any doubt be demoing with a woven screen.

With 3D getting better and morer, this is sadening.
How did they set up the speakers so both Auro and Atmos? Anything surprising? In looking at the white papers Sanjay linked, I imagine it wasn't too difficult. Or what did do?
Thanks!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Old 09-09-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

im reporting based on a teaser that just revealed that. we'll know more...
Old 09-09-2014, 08:46 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicvinny View Post
$18,000!! It will be obsolete in three years! But if they give it ti me I will take two

Last edited by wse; 09-09-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 77
[QUOTE=CINERAMAX;26842353 I advise to anyone considering this system for microperf to look at Quested that breezes right thru.[/QUOTE]

Peter, i have to be on the 20% side here. I have personally heard the Steinway Lyngdorf powdered 388-seat SilverScreen Theater, inside the Pacific Design Center in LA. 30,000 watts of the most clearest sound i have ever heard, yes it was a $1 million dollar model LS set up. With the system amps cranked all the way up in standby mode, you could stand by a speaker and not hear one sound!!! Crown, Quested, QSC, Christie, Pyle, who ever, has nothing that can do that without the electronic hum coming from the speaker, yet with Steinway Lyngdorf Model LS, there is no sound!

hearing is believing, i would suggest all those who can, to stop by for the demo. You will not regret it!

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
Peter, i have to be on the 20% side here. I have personally heard the Steinway Lyngdorf powdered 388-seat SilverScreen Theater, inside the Pacific Design Center in LA. 30,000 watts of the most clearest sound i have ever heard, yes it was a $1 million dollar model LS set up. With the system amps cranked all the way up in standby mode, you could stand by a speaker and not hear one sound!!! Crown, Quested, QSC, Christie, Pyle, who ever, has nothing that can do that without the electronic hum coming from the speaker, yet with Steinway Lyngdorf Model LS, there is no sound!

hearing is believing, i would suggest all those who can, to stop by for the demo. You will not regret it!
Did they change the cinemaperf, ive been there and you make very good points, except the screen channels were muffled behind the silver cinemaperf.

I cancelled my order on spot.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Did they change the cinemaperf, ive been there and you make very good points, except the screen channels were muffled behind the silver cinemaperf.

I cancelled my order on spot.
I was told it was a relatively new Harkness screen. So maybe they changed it since you were there. I always liked woven cotton, spray painted with either digital image or paint on screen. I never liked the stamped microperf junk that is out there, as to me it does muffle the sound to much. But, some of the HT screen material makers make a good screen, and 15 bad ones.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Old 09-23-2014, 09:20 PM
PF
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Getting back to the topic, the CEDIA demo was superb. One of the best I've ever heard. Great sound no matter where you sat.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I disagree , but hi how are you?
Old 09-26-2014, 07:42 AM
PF
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Good, thank you. And you? I'm surprised that you didn't like it. The pros I talked to (by no means a definitive sampling) liked it. Some where even competitors.