High-End Processor? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-08-2002, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can't remember the name of a real professional-level scaler used by broadcasters I read about in one of the HT mags.

It was on a par with Snell & Wilcox and Top-of-the-line Faroudja's.

I wanted to read about it, what it does differently than the others.

Any one know the name of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-08-2002, 02:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Is it Terranex?

There aren't that many companies dealing in this sort of thing: S&W, Terranex, Extron and Faroudja (Sometimes Runco) are the high end guys (read: costly units > 10K).

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #3 of 15 Old 09-08-2002, 04:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Get the new Stereophile Guide to Home Theater.

The Teranax was reviewed by Thomas Norton.
Great review. He rates it far superior to the Faroudja and says its the best he has ever seen.

I have one for sale for a killer price if anyone is interested.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-09-2002, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks alot guys. Just trying to track down the article I had read.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-10-2002, 12:42 PM

Yes, It does sound like the Teranex Xantus-One.

I mean with it's Starfront software and advanced noise reduction 3:2 Inverse Telecine, correct cadence and detail enhancement, it's hard to go wrong with the Xantus-one.

Plus, I think the X-1 can input and output HD-SDI. I think Alan has tried one, so he should know about the HD-SDI path.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-10-2002, 02:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:I think Alan has tried one!

We have a unit in our showroom. :)

jm.....If you have any questions drop me an email Im glad to answer any questions. We are also a dealer.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-11-2002, 01:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Looks like I'll try and pick one up, sounds like a very interesting issue.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #8 of 15 Old 09-16-2002, 11:51 AM

@ Oferlaor

" I'll try and pick one up, sounds like a very interesting issue"

Which one - A stereophile guide to Home theatre OR a Teranex

One is a bit cheaper than the other!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 15 Old 09-16-2002, 12:50 PM

shalom offer! I noticed you are from Modi'in, I currently leave in the U.S. but am Israeli and have a house in Macabeem, i assume you know where that is, just found it interesting to see someone else from Israel and from that close next to my house there!! Send me a PM if you would like to chat.

Dont know much about history,
Dont know much about HT
post #10 of 15 Old 09-16-2002, 10:32 PM

We just built a dedicated in-home cinema using a Teranex. Chris Stephens of Reference Imaging set the video gear up for us with one of their Cinepro CRTs paired with the Teranex. It's pretty much the most awesome combo I've seen. Tom Norton just completed the review on that same combo (he also stopped in to check out the theater we just completed).

-John Gonzales

wwjd?
post #11 of 15 Old 09-17-2002, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I know you :)

Hey John what's up !!

Yes the review is finally out.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-17-2002, 10:33 PM

Chris is in da house!

Things are going great Chris, when are you coming back out to Southern California? Second row of seats finally arrived, it looks awesome in there!

Now that Chris is here to answer any potential questions that may arise, let me add the degree of amazement I experienced with the Teranex/Cinepro combo that Chris set up:

Within a few hours of setting up the projector Chris did some quick tweaking. By the next day the picture was already the nicest image I have seen of any FPTV setup (Vision1/Faroudja combo was a distant second place). While sitting with Chris for a while, he proceeded to tell me why he was not satisfied with the picture and why it wasn't where it needed to be yet. Don't sit with Chris for a while... he messed me up by pointing out things that made my eyes keep looking at the flaws. Even with these areas that needed further tweaking this is still the best image you're going to see out there. Extremely 3-dimensional, incredible realism, depth, detail and color. A little more tweaking and it looked even better. So of course we made Chris pull the projector down at this point so we could check and tighten the mount. No problem, Chris just had to start over again - piece of cake right Chris? ;). Anyway, after Chris got the projector remounted, and installed, he did the smart thing and waited until we were all gone so he could do his serious work. WOW! I came in after Chris had completed his adjustments and the image was absolutely incredible. Chris had improved the image even further beyond where it was the first time. It was very difficult to get any work done because I had to keep watching movies to admire the projector (and of course our audio install:)). The coolest thing about it is that the image has actually improved over the past few weeks. The Teranex/Cinepro combination is absolutely phenomenal. Great job Chris! Do you oversee/tweak all of the installations for Reference Imaging?

-John Gonzales

wwjd?
post #13 of 15 Old 09-18-2002, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I do my best work on the third mounting of the projector :)

hehehe..

The image also constantly impresses me. Thanks for the kind words John.

John did some killer work in this space I have to tell you. Also hung in and did all the right things under adverse conditions :). Thats kinda a understatement huh John !!..

The room came together VERY well indeed.

This HT also has a Levinson 40 for the surround processor, Revel Salon's, Levinson 436 amps. So needless to say sound was just as critical as picture to the customer - in many ways more important !. The acoustics John did were killer. Ive heard many esoteric systems and that 40 combined with everything was amazing.

Yup.. John was right. Even both of us being seasoned pros with esoteric HT were distracted by this amazing system.

Hahaha.. John YOU asked what was wrong with the picture - so I told you - I even warned you it would mess you up forever ! Its your own fault !

Yea im back in Cali as soon as im done doing the CEDIA show. I just wrapped up another install in SoCal just south of where our install is. I will come up and see how things are with the second row of seats. Wow that pretty much completes the system. Well except for the little project we discussed, lets not talk about it here on AVS :) You know the Hush Box thing.

I work with a lot of dealers and I have to tell you if your in San Diego or LA/OC you should look up John. Real morals and a very serious attention to detail. I was impressed.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-18-2002, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
And Chris is one who doesn't impress easily, being a Perfectionist.
That says a lot. Next time I'm in San Diego area, John, I'm lookin' you up for some home theater tours!!!!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #15 of 15 Old 09-19-2002, 10:01 AM

Ahh shucks Chris, you're making me blush.

That project has been a lot of fun, even with all of the challenges we've all had to deal with out there. I can say that now because it's practically complete :)

Steve, you're welcome to come out with us anytime. Hopefully we can have Chris tag along too, he always brings out an entourage of big shots. While working with Chris in L.A., he dissappeared for a while and called from a motorcade while on his way to dinner to let us know he wouldn't be back that evening... can't tell you who he was with though, it's a secret ;)

Wait 'til our next collaboration. It's going to be a definite jawdropping experience. You'll probably find me in the Bowling Alley or Pizza Parlour in that residence :)

Again, anyone planning on a Teranex, you should definitely have a look at the Cinepro too. Give Reference Imaging a call, you won't be disappointed.

-John Gonzales

wwjd?
Closed Thread Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page