DPI 3Chip DLP demos at CEDIA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-01-2002, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Did any of you folks who attended CEDIA make it to Digital Projection's private screening room set up at the Hyatt (at least I think it was the Hyatt) ? The had two 3 Chip units displaying side by side. The 4100gv has a resolution of 1024 by 768. I am not sure the model number of the other unit but the resolution was 1280 by 1024 and it utilized improved optics and dark chip techonology for a contrast of 1200:1. Both units looked outstanding with both HD, sourced from a JVC 30000 and DVD, a Harmon/Kardon no frills player processed by Faroudja NR scalers. The 4100gv was using a 16:9 Stewart Greyhawk at 12 foot wide while the other model utilized a 2.35:1 Stewart Greyhawk at 14 foot wide. They were both VERY cinematic especially the unit utilizing the constant height method. Viewing them side by side, you could definately see better blacks on the higher rez model but both images were beautiful to look at. List, including lenses, is $50,000 and $80,000 respectively. I am in the midst of a major home theater remodel and was planning on using a calibrated G15 with a 14 foot wide high gain 16:9 Stewart screen. Well after the demo, I am changing my plans a bit. I am going for the 4100gv with ISCO lens and a 2.35:1 Stewart Greyhawk @ 15 foot wide. Thank God for home equity loans!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-01-2002, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did not see the display at the Hyatt. I did see the JBL demo though. JBL used a 3 Chip Digital Projection (not sure which model) unit on a large screen in their Synthesis system demo. They were of course showinging "Monsters Inc."

I have to think that something was wrong with the set up of the projector or maybe they were feeding it direct from a DVD player because it did not look good. It was bright, and the colors were fine, but the image was extremely soft, with many blocky artifacts.

Based soley on what I saw at the demo's, I vastly preferred the NEC Tridigital HD4K unit.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-02-2002, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I saw the JBL demo as well and the image was attrocious. Afterwards, I asked how it was hooked up and was told that they were feeding it directly from a DVD player so the projector was doing all the processing. It's unfortunate that they did not utilize a scaler for 1:1 pixel mapping because some people may have gotten a bad impression of the unit based on the hook-up. At their Hyat demo, the Faroudja produced outstanding results!
post #4 of 10 Old 10-02-2002, 03:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Hi Chris

Did you happen to see how they were showing the 235:1 settup.
Were they showing this in letterbox format or using the full panel with an an anamorphic lens to display 235:1

Thanks for the report.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-02-2002, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They were overshooting with no anamorphic lense at the show. But I spoke with several of their reps. They say the units work great with the ISCO's. A great thing about these projectors is that they have programmable picture settings for aspect ratio control and they are offering a mechanical rail for an anamorphic lens (I assume the ISCO). The settings can be called up from a prgrammable remote such as a Cretron. Basically, if I understand correctly, the lens will slide in and out of place depending on whether the movie is enhaced or not (assuming you program in buttons for 2.35:1 enhanced and 2.35:1 non-enhanced, etc) and the zoom, shift and focus for individual ratios is all stored internally. So you can program a macro for each aspect ratio you need. For 1.33:1 , the unit would zoom in, shift up or down and focus as programmed and would zoom out, etc for wider ratios. At the demo, they switched from 2.35:1 to 16:9 with a Crestron panel. I just realized it sound like I work for these guys or something. I assure you I do not, I was just floored by the whole demo. With the 4100gv, I can actually have a cinema-like experience without sacrificing much in terms of picture qualty. I mean the fact that I can use a negative gain screen at a width of 15 or 16 feet and have brightness to spare is amazing to me. At 50 G's it's not gonna be for everyone, but I'm pretty sure you would have had to spend severl times thie a few years ago to get similar results.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-02-2002, 07:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Wow motorized rail for the anamorphic lens. Very cool. Thats the stuff we need for our HT projectors. Very cool.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-02-2002, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Agreed there Alan. Automation is where it's at for a pain free HT!
post #8 of 10 Old 10-02-2002, 10:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Three chips have been doing everything right for some time. Especially features.

In the HT arena we are still waiting for them to get the basics right first.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-10-2002, 05:00 PM

Panasonic at CEDIA was displaying the world's smallest 3 chip DLP projector.

Estimated sales price between $30-40,000 U.S.

Anthony
post #10 of 10 Old 11-13-2002, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: the REAL cinema experience at home: THAT's the trick.
motorized

so far, the best we've done here is SHARP 9000 and ISCO II on my 10FT 2.35:1 set up dalite on JBL PRO Cinema speakers :)
we'll do better next year.

any pics on that motorized rail for the isco ? indeed, that's the kind of stuff needed for pj behind you or in front of you (but not on the ceiling, kinda hard to install i suppose).
i favor a pj behind you, behind the last row, quite high, on a shelve or furniture or special rack.
Closed Thread Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page