Indy Audio Labs - Acurus ACT-4 processor - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #1 of 117 Old 11-27-2014, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Indy Audio Labs - Acurus ACT-4 processor

Any word or inside info?
hichkas62 likes this.

Mike Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 Old 11-28-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I heard it was going into Beta in December and production in January. But given their history, these dates may well slip...particularly if they discover any bugs during Beta.
post #3 of 117 Old 11-28-2014, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Wonder who the OEM is for the main board and who is writing the DSP code.
hichkas62 likes this.

Mike Miles

post #4 of 117 Old 12-01-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I'm surprised this is even on your radar. I first saw a data sheet on this over 2 years ago!

B.
post #5 of 117 Old 01-06-2015, 10:27 AM

Location: www.sorrentinodesigngroup.com or timsorrentino.com works in progress...
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Any word or inside info?
I cannot wait to check out this unit as well. Hopefully Acurus will keep the price reasonable and it sounds awesome! Their site now says Feb 2015. CES 2015 may have more answers for us eagerly awaiting this unit!

Unfortunately building an "affordable" processor from a boutique company is difficult when the target is constantly changing! What with 3D, 4k and now atmos and other height decoders on the horizon and maybe 8k and then....

Last edited by Tim Sorrentino; 01-06-2015 at 10:31 AM.
post #6 of 117 Old 01-08-2015, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sorrentino View Post
Unfortunately building an "affordable" processor from a boutique company is difficult when the target is constantly changing! What with 3D, 4k and now atmos and other height decoders on the horizon and maybe 8k and then....
I think you are spot on. From what I have know the ACT-4 is delayed because Acurus chose to put more features like Atmos etc into the unit.
RUR likes this.
post #7 of 117 Old 01-08-2015, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

No Atmos would be like a fart in a space suite.

Mike Miles
post #8 of 117 Old 01-15-2015, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just talked to Rick from Acurus, and he says March....
post #9 of 117 Old 06-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 62
All on for September and all on for features as well. ATMOS, DTS-X. HDMI2.0 and HDCP2.2 all confirmed for the release units.

Throw in the 7" touch panel, true web server for setup and analogue bypass and you have something very interesting.

The rest of the acurus range has a very nice "family character" very clean and balanced with excellent bass control. The Aragon amps -especially the 8008 dual mono are even more impressive and truly mix it in the rarefied high end never mind mid market.

I see a lot of systems being built around the ACT4 driving stacks of 8008 as it will deliver sound to die for at what must be considered a value price compared to anything comparable.

The wait for the processor has been interminable but now it is finally in the home stretch it promises to be really disruptive in the mid to high end.
CINERAMAX likes this.
post #10 of 117 Old 08-12-2015, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Guys, I spent today touring the factory and test facilities and was mightily impressed.

Tomorrow is the big reveal and demo of the ACT4 with Atmos and DTS-X running and I simply can't wait. This is the real deal and I am excited to be one of the first outside the company to see it.

DTS-X needs some real horsepower and some further hardware upgrades have been added making the unit even more impressive.

I'll ask if I can take any pics and happy to try and get any questions answered if there are any.
post #11 of 117 Old 08-13-2015, 07:13 AM
PRETERNATURAL IMMERSOPHIL

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Yes Neil post tons of pics.

I have a little homework for you. With the hdmi2.0a unknowns I want you to find out about some of those unknowns.

Lately I have become a bit of an hd audio aficionado and successfully have a med6ber player playing 192 2 channel FLAC "Yes close to the edge" an 6 channel FLAC "Dark Side of the Moon" via hdmi into datasat.
Find out what the situation is with hdmi2.0a or rather hdcp 2.2.

Then Hookup a hdmi 1.4 bd player and confirm with Atmos Disc that atmos is rendering 7.1.4 trough the preamp properly even though the pre is next gen.

Then ask Acurus if the same operation/results will be obtained with UHD-BD or if it will downres to 7.1.

If so lots of all will be sleeping better at night till xmas.

Talk soon buddy!
Billybobjimbob likes this.

Sincerely, GC*
rAVe Best ATMOS DEMO CEDIA 2016. HOARDS AWARDS, ACCOLADES, 1ST ART CREDS.,WLD. RECORDS, & HI PERFORMANCE 16-24-32-48 CH. MIDI-PLF CINEMAS WW. - CUSTODIAN HIGH END IMMERSIVE CINEMAS TO SMPTE & ADV. IMAGING SOC. HELP Combat Channel Insufficiency with Altitude 48!*GC = GANGSTA C. genus: cineramus maximus. GC Twitter (Now staging Humanitarian Relief Aide to Great Bel-Air Circuit B-chain & 6P/HDR Projection Famine of 2017)
post #12 of 117 Old 08-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Unit switched off showing the Oppo players used during the demo.

Neil Davidson - DT Screens
post #13 of 117 Old 08-13-2015, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Very high performance for the $$$ set of amps. All class A/B

Last edited by ceenhad; 08-13-2015 at 06:44 PM.
post #14 of 117 Old 08-13-2015, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Me with the team!

post #15 of 117 Old 08-13-2015, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

And finally the money shot. Look at how pretty she is!

post #16 of 117 Old 08-13-2015, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Lately I have become a bit of an hd audio aficionado and successfully have a med6ber player playing 192 2 channel FLAC "Yes close to the edge" an 6 channel FLAC "Dark Side of the Moon" via hdmi into datasat.
Find out what the situation is with hdmi2.0a or rather hdcp 2.2.
The guys are all music fans and somewhat amazingly to me could answer this no problem. They have been testing a lot of Hi Res material including 192/24 multichannel FLAC sources to ensure it is all working as well as possible. 2 channel and multichannel are working and if required all can be upmixed via DTS-X or ATMOS algorithms. Remember that there is also a true analogue bypass mode and a phono input!

Quote:
Then Hookup a hdmi 1.4 bd player and confirm with Atmos Disc that atmos is rendering 7.1.4 through the preamp properly even though the pre is next gen.
Well as you can see in the pictures we used Oppo players for the demo with a new model Sony display and everything worked just fine. ATMOS disc rendered in 7.1.4. The guys had the Oppo output upscaled 4K video and this all passed through without even blinking.

Quote:
Then ask Acurus if the same operation/results will be obtained with UHD-BD or if it will downres to 7.1.
There is no reason to expect any different result since those players will be HDMI 2.0 but the ACT4 can be firmware upgraded if this should be required (although I cant think why on this matter specifically).

Whilst it is difficult for me to give a really critical evaluation of the sound, completely unknown room and system, all of the panning etc was present and correct and there seemed to be plenty of detail with no hint of compression going on.

What really impressed me is how quick the thing is. Flicking between ATMOS and Direct mode had no detectable break that I could sense. A cool trick in a demo situation. My big fear of course was the HDMI switching but this again was some of the fastest I can ever remember seeing. Hit the button, screens goes black then picture appeared instantly rock solid and sound followed a fraction of a second later. The codec detection, which is something that can annoy a lot of people, really was virtually instant and it seems a lot of work has gone in to making that part work flawlessly. I got a nice explanation of the reason others have had issues with codec detection with older MDS HDMI boards (Acurus using the latest HDMI 2.0 HDCP2.2 version).

The architecture of the thing is also very impressive. It would be easy to dismiss this unit after all the false starts but there is real innovation all through the piece and in many ways it is a lot more innovative than the current big dogs.

post #17 of 117 Old 08-13-2015, 07:47 PM
PRETERNATURAL IMMERSOPHIL

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Cool Thanks, I attended an Integra atmos demo and was told hdcp2.2 channel restrictions ..

Thanks, I had the chance to attend a more blu colar demo than yours with integra and sonance (they should be called blownance), LOL.

But the sonic pirouettes were awesome, not so much on the gravity mix (which needs a fresh mix for UHD Blu ray -ya hear warner?). Jupiter ascending (the dynamic sound-staging was great) and gunman and sniper.

So the oppo 1.4 played nice with the int. 2.0, but I also asked the integra guy the CRUCIAL question.

Bottom Line is the studios have the power to degrade. Scott Wilkinson should make a conference podcast with all seven studios. Let's be pro-active guys. Why not pitch in for a full page petition in Variety and Hollywood reporter?

We snooze we loose.

Best!!!

Sincerely, GC*
rAVe Best ATMOS DEMO CEDIA 2016. HOARDS AWARDS, ACCOLADES, 1ST ART CREDS.,WLD. RECORDS, & HI PERFORMANCE 16-24-32-48 CH. MIDI-PLF CINEMAS WW. - CUSTODIAN HIGH END IMMERSIVE CINEMAS TO SMPTE & ADV. IMAGING SOC. HELP Combat Channel Insufficiency with Altitude 48!*GC = GANGSTA C. genus: cineramus maximus. GC Twitter (Now staging Humanitarian Relief Aide to Great Bel-Air Circuit B-chain & 6P/HDR Projection Famine of 2017)
post #18 of 117 Old 08-13-2015, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceenhad View Post
Guys, I spent today touring the factory and test facilities and was mightily impressed.

Tomorrow is the big reveal and demo of the ACT4 with Atmos and DTS-X **running** and I simply can't wait. This is the real deal and I am excited to be one of the first outside the company to see it.

DTS-X needs some real horsepower and some further hardware upgrades have been added making the unit even more impressive.

I'll ask if I can take any pics and happy to try and get any questions answered if there are any.
One word: WHOA!!!

Did I read you right? DTS:X **running**? First out of the gate, ahead of Japanese receivers? Congrats.

8008 amp - is that the same as Aragon 4004 designed by D'Agostino? That is a great sounding amp with Krell signature sound - actually drove my 2 ohm speakers without any problem. Is it now under the Acurus name?
post #19 of 117 Old 08-14-2015, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Yes it is quite incredible what the guys have achieved with DTS-X. This was not an easy integration and certainly begs some questions if everyone is going to be able to meet their promises of upgrades via firmware.

If you order now you will have a unit by CEDIA with 4K HDMI2.0, HDCP2.2, ATMOS and DTS-X and likely several months before anyone else has that feature set. I refer again to the speed and reliability of the handshake and detection of audio protocol, the thing is a beast computationally and has been designed to do as much as possible in parallel.

The 8008 amp is still sold under the Aragon brand with some updates to the amps and addition of the IAL brains. You will some review links on my facebook page where the independent tests show that it is still an absolute power monster but so refined and a great value in comparison to other amps with that level of spec and physical finish.

Listening to the performance of the Iridium and 8008 and seeing/hearing what they did to a cinema speaker I was evaluating at the turn of the year has really made me reevaluate what I am expecting from a cinema experience. I have moved completely away from Ribbon/Planar technology again back to large coaxial compression drivers on big horns. The sensitivity of these means an amp like the 8008 is basically class A and delivers detail and the touch of warmth that the ribbons (clean as they may be) do not deliver to my ear. I am even looking at going back to using passive speakers in many instances since the amps have so much grunt and I have found that speaker designers are sadly tempted to "tinker" with their active units. I am sick of getting SW updates for speakers people!!! When they have to commit to a run of passive crossovers it seems that they get their tinkering out of the way then settle on a sound and in many instances I have found the passive option to actually sound better.

LOL - rant over!

post #20 of 117 Old 08-14-2015, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes it is quite incredible what the guys have achieved with DTS-X. This was not an easy integration and certainly begs some questions if everyone is going to be able to meet their promises of upgrades via firmware.

If you order now you will have a unit by CEDIA with 4K HDMI2.0, HDCP2.2, ATMOS and DTS-X and likely several months before anyone else has that feature set. I refer again to the speed and reliability of the handshake and detection of audio protocol, the thing is a beast computationally and has been designed to do as much as possible in parallel.

The 8008 amp is still sold under the Aragon brand with some updates to the amps and addition of the IAL brains. You will some review links on my facebook page where the independent tests show that it is still an absolute power monster but so refined and a great value in comparison to other amps with that level of spec and physical finish.

Interesting. Some of the Japanese receivers are supposed to be DTS:X upgrade-able via firmware - is this what you are talking about?

Always have a spot in my heart for D'Agostino Aragon 4004; one of greatest values ever in high-end amplifiers, sounds like a Krell (detailed high, rich/full mid, subjectively "clean," tight, and deep bass) , and just like Krell, the real thing when it comes to power into low impedance. I had 3 in the past and am still using one now.

Last edited by cannga; 08-14-2015 at 07:54 AM.
post #21 of 117 Old 08-14-2015, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

cough, OHP too, cough...
CINERAMAX likes this.
post #22 of 117 Old 08-14-2015, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

LOL - rant over!
So, can you elaborate on the dtsx side of things? Is it speaker agnostic and using a remapping algorithm as originally advertised? Or has this now fallen the same as atmos and sticking to a specific layout?
post #23 of 117 Old 08-14-2015, 10:33 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 263
^^^^^^^
To add to this, what's the max discrete speaker count for Atmos/Auro/DTS:X and what room correction product is used, if any?
post #24 of 117 Old 08-14-2015, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 39
More than likely Neil will have been asked not to disclose info related to DTS:X..possibly not before they release more information themselves.

21inch hitachi
post #25 of 117 Old 08-14-2015, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

As I noted earlier, the unit has 11.3 channels right now which could be re-purposed as 13.1 channels - and we all know what options that would open up. The issue is as much to do with licensing than engineering though.

I will stay out of the DTS-X discussion for now I am afraid. Acurus have some real competitive advantage with their platform and I do not wish to risk saying anything comercially sensitive before they choose to do it themselves. I will note that the remapping element is not yet available to anyone as described in the press materials so far, set layouts will be the order of the day for some time yet.

There is no Auro and no plans to add it. The upmixer is nice but I think it is already clear to most that they will be a niche player at best in the residential market - certainly for English language content.

No auto-eq but the guys are looking at the ways to best utilize the PEQ capabilities. Remember that the device has a webserver built in to serve up data and this opens up some very interesting ways of interacting with the device. For my own part, I long ago lost faith in auto EQ systems. It takes almost as long to do Dirac etc correctly as it does to do PEQ. The trick is to make the analysis process as efficient as possible IMO rather than the correction system. If I had a pound for every system I heard with upward sloping treble after room correction is applied...

post #26 of 117 Old 08-15-2015, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will stay out of the DTS-X discussion for now I am afraid. Acurus have some real competitive advantage with their platform and I do not wish to risk saying anything comercially sensitive before they choose to do it themselves. I will note that the remapping element is not yet available to anyone as described in the press materials so far, set layouts will be the order of the day for some time yet.
You're such a teaser , but thanks, enough was said regarding the part of DTS:X that I am curious about.
post #27 of 117 Old 08-15-2015, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally moving forward.

I wonder what the hardware platform is and who wrote the DSP code.

Chipset? DAC.s?

Mike Miles
post #28 of 117 Old 08-15-2015, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure what you are looking for? Excluding a few libraries and the MDS HDMI all the HW and SW are designed by Aucurus. SW implementation all in house and HW made by their very impressive local contract manufacturer.

DSP are Ti but no idea on models.

post #29 of 117 Old 08-16-2015, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting they are doing their own software. Most brands job that out as I recall.

Will there be a demo at CEDIA?

Mike Miles
post #30 of 117 Old 08-17-2015, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

It is a very large benefit that they have done all of this themselves and have the talent in house without relying on third parties for everything.

IAL have their own booth at CEDIA and I expect that they will be in demand from speaker companies looking to show off their immersive audio solutions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page