AVS Forum banner

Dolby Atmos Demo Blu Ray - Fantastic!

13K views 83 replies 23 participants last post by  Sammy42C430 
#1 ·
This is the holy grail of demo discs.

Why is it that the this disc sounds better than anything I've ever heard in any home theater? In fact the AUROMATIC upmix sounds as good or better than the native Auro 3D Demo disc or reference 7.1 BD I own. I have a 7.6 bed and 6 heights (side and rear heights are array - same signal).

The dynamics and the spatial characteristics on the disc are precise and dynamic. It's hard to explain but a group of friends who've seen many movies in my theater were awestruck as well. The soundstage is just huge now and the surround effects are so much more in focus and violently powerful. It's truly amazing. I feel like finally, after years and years of incremental upgrades, I've reached the top!

I am almost wondering if I even need an ATMOS upgrade if I can upmix native ATMOS material to such a reference level!?

I'm going to try more ATMOS discs that are available now to further test my hypothesis.

The Enrique Iglesias video just pounds and the Dolby sequences are simply magnificent (most are in scope format).

Thanks, Peter!! Best Blu Ray I've ever had my hands on.

If you can acquire one, do so. It doesn't get any better than this.

See less See more
Reactions: EmmaDarknet
#2 ·
#30 · (Edited)
I think this is the one that can be downloaded. I picked up a couple of copies at Cedia but I'm pretty sure its available with directions on the Atmos home theater thread. I tired to search for that post but didn't find it first pass. I will look again later but.....I agree. Very dynamic Bluray!!!
]
Which Atmos home theater thread is a link to download posted in?

EDIT -nm its on Usenet

#3 ·
thebland,

Maybe others understand your post but I'm confused. Are you saying the Atmos Demo disc is being produced with Atmos decoding and its the best ever or are you saying your running it through the Auromatic upmix to produce the sound and obtaining the best ever bypassing the Atmos decoding?

Kim

#4 ·
thebland,

Maybe others understand your post but I'm confused. Are you saying the Atmos Demo disc is being produced with Atmos decoding and its the best ever or are you saying your'e running it through the Auromatic upmix to produce the sound and obtaining the best ever bypassing the Atmos decoding?

Kim
The latter. I Have an RS-20i with Auromatic - no ATMOS decoding.

#6 ·
Stumbled upon this thread but I in now way have Ultra High end gear, rather a more typical 7.1 system. Anyway, playing this disc through my system I would agree it is some of the best audio demo material out there. It seems to me that with each advance in technology the mastering gets better as well which to me explains why it sounds better on my standard 7.1 system. The other thing I noticed is the surrounds are much louder and more active than a typical mix.

Just me view from the cheap seats. :)

#7 ·
Ha! Love it! If only all Blu Rays were produced like this, we wouldn't so much really good gear!!

Reactions: primetimeguy
#9 ·
Agree. This disc is transformative... then I play the typical 100/100 rated BD disc rated here on AVS... and not even close.

#10 ·
As I first identified in October 2013, playing 7.1 mixes of movies originally encoded in atmos and auro will image with uncanny similarity to Atmos decoded when played back (then on a 3d trinnov remapped system with heights and widths) but I did forecast it would sound spectacular in Auromatic.

The demo disc is good but the fact that the original theater presentations was in Auro or Atmos, will up the ante soundwise at home when played back through these up-converted 3d formats.

This demo disc price is crazy on ebay.:eek:

Attachments

#11 ·
You should see how much people try to sell the version with Oblivion on. But yeah, I fully agree with what you say. Yeah AuroMatic may not give you the close proximity of sound that an Atmos renderer may deliver, but it gives way more spaciousness. Which, to me, sounds much better. So rather than the leaf floating right next to your head, it sounds more distant away. But the whole production just sounds better. Guess it won't be long till we see Atmos on the Datasat so I'll give it a good test then.

But it strange tho. As I don't rate many blu Rays with dolby tracks as being very good. All sound compressed and lacking in dynamics. But all the dolby demo disk I have are superb... One particular one with Benny Reitveld, simply mind blowing production on every track.

#17 ·
You could use reverb to enhance music concerts and other video sourced material. Case in point Enrique Iglesias'.

No doubt that native Atmos discs will track better in Atmos. My point for which I was heavily chastised is any truehd or dtshd tracks down mixed from Atmos or AURO masters will sound better on automatic or DS than those were the tracks where originally in 7.1 and 5..1! With a very enveloping 3D sound field.

Sh did you check off Dynamic range control on Yruhd? The Datasat might default to it. Hence your compression impression.:eek:lder_man:

#25 ·
No doubt that native Atmos discs will track better in Atmos. My point for which I was heavily chastised is any truehd or dtshd tracks down mixed from Atmos or AURO masters will sound better on automatic or DS than those were the tracks where originally in 7.1 and 5..1! With a very enveloping 3D sound field.

I'm not setup for Atmos or Auro yet but watched the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles bluray which is done with Atmos. Even though I only heard the regular 7.1 track on my system the sound was incredible. In fact, when the helicopter flew overhead my 2 year old daughter turned around to see where it went! I think the mastering efforts behind blurays with Atmos are higher and it still trickles down to benefit good systems without Atmos or Auro decoding. Exciting times. :)

#19 ·
Well finally got around to watching Expendables 3 Atmos mix thru AuroMatic on my Datasat.. Apart from the seamless branching issues of the oppo, the sonics were amazing.

Not heard the heights firing quite so much. Helecoptors flying clearly all around the heights and VOG firinh regularly to give fly overs.... And RPGS flying all over the show. Sounded really very good. Will be so interesting to see how it compares when run natively in Atmos... Won't be long now.

#20 ·
This is really exciting to hear. I might have to rent this and see. All these new formats. Funny native Auro didn't sound much better then upmixed Atmos in my set up. How would you compare the two?

#22 · (Edited)
Don't rent it, Lionsgate downgrades all its bluray rentals to 5.1 dolby digital, so it won't be close to even just the 7.1 bed from the Atmos track on the retail bluray and you'll have lost your rental money.

In my experience, the only rentals on which Lionsgate ever keeps the full HD soundtrack are 3D blurays, I guess because it would be too expensive to master two versions.

I've stopped renting any Lionsgate title for this reason (except 3D blurays).

#21 ·
Well native Auro will really depend on who has mixed it down. If you haven't got it yet, get the Lichtmond 3 blu Ray... I have the 3d video version rather than the 96/24 pure audio version. Amazing mix down and really very very good. And still, to me, the best sounding clip I have is the native AURO tractor / country side ambience track on the AURO disk, superb.

In terms of comparison, I'm waiting till we get our Atmos cards in the Datasat then we can run an Atmos encoded disc thru Atmos and render it as intended... Then we can run the exact same mix thru the auromatic upmixer and see what sounds best. Simple.

#23 ·
My copy of that disc does not have video (tractor). Does yours?

#32 ·
Dear zgeneral,

You are missing my point/Axiom the AAAA Albiorix Atmos/Auro Axiom. :D

It says that once the original recording was done in Atmos or Auro those high order surround effects are still embedded in the recording whether DolbyTrue HD 7.1/5.1 or DTS-Master Audio, that if you have an immersive sound system with many speakers the more competent of the upconverters in this case Auromatic (but the best one will be the DTS upconverter as it will use width channels whilst upconverting something neither DS nor Auromatic currently do) whose upconverter algorythms will extract a reasonable facsimile of the signal that many a time will sound uncannily like a native atmos or auro.

Get it?

So therefore besides having Atmos Native discs the other ones will play in enhanced fashion when playing anything from the list above, even if only upconverted from a 7.1 BD.

#34 · (Edited)
Perhaps the new Quested Coax heights (passive), will be ready by the time Datasat releases ATMOS??

I am using 15 outputs right now. I may need to put my 2 sets of subs through a DSP to split a mono signal and free up an extra channel..

So, Atmos is calling for a single Front Height Center (or, in my case, three font heights)?

Thanks, Peter!

#36 ·
They need some photoshop intervention to clarify as they did a theater in the round with 5 speaks behind the screen the arrangement in ceiling is circular, after sending taker a second time and asking questions I realized it was the AURO height scheme. If the dts upmixer includes the width channels I think Datsat customers are going to have to relegate the subs to the 17-24 expansion card and add the centre high, the VOG and the widths. I am waiting to hear from datsat if this is possible.

I will commence photoshopping my DTSX analysis tonight.

More later. I have some flexible speaker mounting ideas for nailing the high channels in system Triton too...

#37 · (Edited)
Dtsx presentation was in a 360 room

At one point they fire all of the circlevision projectors and a motorcycle whirls around the room...

The movies that are in the demo disc are all in 2.4 and apparently it covered 5 speakers lcr +Widths. If the dtsx upconverter renders to the width positions it shall reign king for non native content.

VIDEO

Attachments

#38 ·
DTSX Demo disc has a movie encoded in Atmos

RIO 2 track on DTSX demo disc was mastered exclusively in Atmos. Dts just showed us their hand. Of their intention to repeat their significant market penetration in Blu ray disc that they achieved with DTS-HD releases of dolby discrete 7.1 masters.

#40 ·
I have that DTS:X disc... and the DTS:X clips are killer in AUROMATIC. The DTS 7.1 tracks are pretty standard.

But overall, the ATMOS disc wins!

Reactions: Nalleh
#41 ·
What you on about Jeff, surely the Auro disc with its amazingly bad demonstrations of how AURO should NOT be mixed down is the best... Lol

One of the foreign films has really bad use of the VOG and it's totally distracting and one of the music tracks as a bloody drum fill from the VOG. First, why mix it in such a way and second why use this as demo material... What a waste. Lol

#42 ·
So even though they showed a 22.2 channel system using the auro layout plus width channels DTSX assures us that if we have an Atmos designed system it will play back through that, at this point I say that if you must design for Auro or Atmos my recommendation is to accomodate Atmos first and Auro second, cause DTSX will conform to anything. Just be sure to add them width channels as they will be used fully in the DTSX upconverter...:D

#43 · (Edited)
So today I am cashing in on the Atmos Disc gift favor to Jeff that he so praises herein.:D

He is going experiment using the new Datasat feature to playback the Amaze and Leaf tracks of the disc at "REF +10 (something like volume unleash/unhinge datasat calls it).

If rear loudest pans don't hint to overload of the ribbons then I say that should suffice for regular 16 channel systems in home theaters is z8's for fronts and width(very important to be used extensively in all 3 formats) bi amped, to be matched to lt-8/24'pasive's for the surrounds complement.

#44 ·
I'm in! I'll have to video tape it, too!

#47 ·
You know that!

#49 ·
Used the ATMOS disc at a party at my place this weekend. My wife and girlfriend got into it and stood up dancing (granted there was a lot of wine it and it was 2AM)!! Amazing Quested sound!

Attachments

#50 ·
"My wife and girlfriend" How can your wife also be your girlfriend. Or do you mean that both your wife and girlfriend were there at the same time.

"Got into it". Was this a twosome? Or perhaps a threesome with you?

Apparently those Quested speakers bring out inate primal urges to fruition.
Congrats!!:cool:

#52 ·
I miss john!! Great guy!!! Tell him I'd love to have him over! Spent some time at CEDIA with him which was the last time I saw him. I think he had a loft in Detroit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.