Wilson Watt Puppies Demo for Az Audiophile Society!!! Thumbs UP!!! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 41 Old 11-06-2002, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have owned the 6s for just over 2 years and will be moving to the 7s within the next week or so.

I have been extremely pleased with the 6s (the day they went into my system is one I'll never forget -- you couldn't have removed the grin from my face with an axe (replaced a pair of active Linn Kabers)) but as part of the recent HT upgrade I decided to spring for the 7s and "retire" the 6s to the rear. This is the problem with listening to new components, what was once audio/video bliss becomes a nagging reminder of what could be.

To fill in a few blanks, what I'll end up with is 7s for the front mains, a Wilson Cub for the center, all powered by Linn Klimax mono amps and fed balanced via a Proceed AVP2. The Wilson fronts get additional support from a Wilson Watchdog.

There are 2 pairs of Wilson Watch Surrounds on the side walls and the 6s are in the rear corners (effectively also doubling as rear channel subs). The room is 25 feet wide, 42 feet long with an 11 foot ceiling. The 3 pairs of surrounds/rears are evenly spaced (primarily for structural reasons and not necessarily accoustic ones) so once everything is in place, I will experiment with using 2 pairs of rears verses 2 pairs of side surrounds.

When I get the time I will post a complete description of the new system and the decision paths/detours that I took to get there.

Needless to say, with 10 Wilson speakers in my system, I am a fan.

To respond to the question/complaint about the low height of the sound stage, the 7s improve upon this even further than the 6s by providing for more alignment adjustments.

Now back to work so I can pay for all of this foolishness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 11-07-2002, 01:36 AM

This is probably a OT:

I've heard of Wilson Watt Puppies system6 before. (I haven't actually listened nor seen the speakers.) They are regarded as very high-end speakers, as far as I know.

How about B&W Nautilus speakers ? (N800, N801, and N802) I know no speakers sound the same, and it's also down to one's personal preference. But I'm trying to get a ballpark figure.

Are B&W N800, N801, N802 in the same sort of league as Watt Puppies system6 and 7 ? What about Dynaudio Evidence, and Meridian spekaers?

I'm prolly all around the map. Someone please give this newbie a rough idea please...
post #33 of 41 Old 11-07-2002, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Re the mid bass hump, in a way it was designed into the system.

This is what I've been told: The WATT was originally created as a near field monitor to stand on mixing consoles, gving the effect of the big wide baffle. This means that Dave Wilson didn't need to compensate for a thing called 'baffle step' which is a gradual bass rolloff at a frequency dependant upon the width of the baffle. Certainly when I measure my Watts by themselves there is a large and audible dip from about 500 downwards.

When the Puppy was added and the WATT placed on it, the rolloff of the Puppy was used to compensate for the the Baffle step loss, with the highish (150Hz or so) crossover and fairly shallow rolloff.

However, if you have a room that gave any kind of boost to the midbass, or set them up wrong (too close to walls and corners) you got over compensation. I think this was the reason for the wide variety of hookup options on the WP 3/2.

I had real problems with the midbass bump in my room with both my WP3/2s and a set of WP5s custom upgraded to System 6, although the System 6 were better.

I ended up actively biamping using an external crossover, which would make Dave Wilson have kittens, but which worked for me. I think this is no longer possible because the Puppy Tail has been 'captured'.

Steve
post #34 of 41 Old 11-08-2002, 07:14 AM
PF
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Steve,

It's funny that you mentioned bi-amping because I've heard of one other person (a dealer!) who went this route. He used four Krell amps (!) and claimed spectacular results. But you're right, you can't do it anymore because the new designs make it impractical if not impossible.

tango03,

Many people like the B&W N801s and N802s, including me, but I would say that among your list, only the Dynaudio's are sonically competitive. I have an admitted bias against Meridian, though -- I just don't think they sound very good despite the state of the art technology and nose-bleed cost. To your list I would also add the Revel Salon's (but don't think you can save a bit and go for it's little brother the Studio; you can't). Indeed, in the bass department, the Salon is competitive with the Wilson X-1, let alone the Watt Puppy.

But they all have very different sound -- very different -- and large price disparities, though none are inexpensive to say the least. So, you'll have to audition for yourself to see what you like and what represents the right mix of sound quality and expense for YOU.
post #35 of 41 Old 11-08-2002, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I have an admitted bias against Meridian, though -- I just don't think they sound very good despite the state of the art technology and nose-bleed cost.
PF,
Do you mean Meridian's speakers, electronics or both ?
post #36 of 41 Old 11-08-2002, 08:39 PM
PF
AVS Special Member

I meant the speaker system.
post #37 of 41 Old 11-08-2002, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Our Newsletter Editor and outgoing President of the Az Audiophile Society, Glenn Saber, remarked that this demo was the best he's ever heard and if he had the money the 7.0s would be HIS!!! I know Gary Hjerpe of Esoteric Audio is salivating as he reads this and he is hoping that Glenn wins the Az Lottery bigtime!!! HAAAAAAAA!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #38 of 41 Old 11-11-2002, 10:33 AM

If you really want a pair of speakers that do an incredible job with HT, as well as audio, the Excelarray is it. Far surpassing what you hear from most speakers costing in excess of $30,000.00. The sweet spot is huge and the soundstage is 2nd to none. I've heard the Puppies, 801's, Diamond Eidelons, JM Labs Grand Utopias and the Excelarray sounds better by a wide margin.

Here's a link to some pictures of these speakers:
http://members.aol.com/bvirgil311/excel.htm

Have a great day,

Brad

Excelarray, the beginning of a new era
post #39 of 41 Old 11-11-2002, 04:28 PM
PF
AVS Special Member

Interesting speaker. Looks a little like a Wisdom Audio speaker.
post #40 of 41 Old 11-19-2002, 05:35 PM

I own B&W 800's and they are a good speaker, although a little bright. I was pleased with them until today when I auditioned the Wilson Sophia's which were significantly better sounding for $5,000 less. Everyone in the audition room was amazed how much better they sounded. If you choose not to buy the 7's, buy the Sophia's - you won't be disappointed.

John Wood
post #41 of 41 Old 11-19-2002, 08:22 PM
PF
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wood930
If you choose not to buy the 7's, buy the Sophia's - you won't be disappointed.
Ericbee, where are you...?
Closed Thread Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page