The 35 speaker Altitude/Quested/D'agostino TRITON 2.0 - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #91 of 104 Old 01-11-2017, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1269
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Wink Hier kommt das THOR HDR (AMG) Modell!

Hello Uwe, I will report next week in the status of the three key elements that comprise the FAR SUPERIOR THOR HDR (AMG) Model. As well as the latest report from engineering on getting the HDR working on the Alchemy, last I spoke to TIM it would be ready around ISE, but also has to have the 3D Working.

I was not too crazy about the EOTF 20284 profiling at CEDIA did not look natural so I paid the top SMPTE FELLOW EXPERT in sigmoid curve LUTS/EOTF's and have spent 2 weeks experimenting with variable EOTF settings for 500 nits, 600 nits, 700 nits, 800 nits, 900 nits and 1,000 nits (AT PROMETHEUS with the oppo 203). This allows an unprecedented level of matching the content to the projectors brightness. One of this setting will be just perfectly beautiful looking atr TRITON. So EOTF 2084 setting check! it's done.

At the factory Barco uses a test bench colorimeter that is not practical to take out of the factory.

Every useful Idiot calibrator calibrating LASER projectors (like for cinemas and even homes) use this $16,000 machine.

It is not tuned to the narrow wavelength that The THOR OPERATES AT. Might as well calibrate with ones eyeballs as it is completely inaccurate, yet that is what they use.

We need this $47,500 and I am talking to the factory. It is within .5 nanometer close to the Ideal frequency, the one above is like 2 nanometers off.!

This unique, portable battery powered instrument utilizes a 256 element detector spectrometer with a spectral resolution of 1.56 nm per pixel and is supplied with 4 Automated Measuring Apertures (1°, 1/2°.1/4° and 1/8°) and an automated measure shutter. Other hardware features include AutoSync for automatically synchronizing to display backlight or the source refresh rate insuring the utmost accuracy.

SO WE GET THE CORRECT INSTRUMENT WHICH IS NOT ONLY FOR COLOR CALIBRATION BUT FOR THE PRECISION READINGS NEEDED TO PROVIDE BARCO WITH A SPREADSHEET SHOWING THE RELATION OF RED AND BLUE TO THE GREEN IN 27 DIFFERENT SPOTS ON THE SCREEN!! THE INFAMOUS SPATIAL COLOR CALIBRATION for which because my insistent recommendation I was unfriended by Wolfgang. One conference call to Bill Beck The Laser Guy would have proven the high merit of my argument.

SCC 2 years ago data entry.

At this time i had conceived something named Maximum Alignment Program ( a very short termed program), because the SCC was hidden in the communicator, apparently my enthusiasm for it prompted Barco to now prominently have it accessible in the latest Communicator Post Software. My insistence that our other German Friend use this caused at rift, yet he had it done, but with the less accurate instrument I have confirmed.

This is the pattern used to shoot each one of those boxes, not with the $15,000 inadequate instrument every one thinks is the Gold Standard, But with it's high performance cousin.

If done with the sensitive instrument of Choice above, this will be the sharpest image with no color misuniformity in the very small 4k dmd's,15% sharper than any other THOR. It uses a special algorithm that is diffeent than Xenon algorithm. This is something that cost Barco a lot of money to accomodate but I am using all my contacts to show the world that we are doing this like the Germans.

That saying above was one that my Cuban electrician/installer in training coined when he saw 23 German Fine Craftsmen finsihing the upper top right half of the prestigious BAL HARBOR TOWER in Miami Beach , a building where Herr Otto Bbeisheim wrote a $65,000,000 on the spot to Kovens construction to finance the tower. He kept the entire half of the top floor for himself.

2 full Lufthansa Cargo planes brought all the building materials and many chests with every imaginable hand tool ever made, I saw 300 different specialized screwdrivers in many angles, and there were many Old School craftsman that worked for 6 months, even their working overalls looked Bavarian Tailored. While we we wiring the job my Cuban Rafter (yes he fought sharks floating from Cuba) he had a very heavy bad Spanish Accent but he was a go getter... in any event he pulled me over to show me the collection of screwdrivers. "These Germans know how to work" he said.

Every future job I used him for when we walked through the site during planning he would say "No, Tenemos que trabajar esto como los Alemanes" a year later the phrase was shortened to: "Como Los Alemanes."

After 2 years of excellent service to me Berto started missing workdays. I asked him what you found a side job that pays better than me? He smiled, he went from a Jalopy to a new Cadillac. And bought his wife nice Jewelry. I suspect he started running drugs or something, and I later heard he was killed. Miami,Miami.

So now you know Uwe we install this Thor HDR "Como Los Alemanes".

Which brings me to the most difficult process of a succesful AMG THOR HDR variant....

This foor plan is a good start but in respect to the projector the screen and their relationship we need extremely precise measurements...

This is the CROWN JEWEL of the AMGisation of the Thor. I will expand with more detail in next couple of days. We will need a side elevation, that is why I am letting you know to get you guys over to take AS-BUILT MEASUREMENTS in plan view like above, but with tons of detail around the front of the projector through wall and to the screen.

The same goes for the SIDE ELEVATION view.

Danke! TBC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Die richtige Einheit, die mit dem Laserprojektor 6P übereinstimmt..jpg
Views:	755
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	1889945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Die Scheisseinheit jeder benutzt.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	1889953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Triton Original Plan view.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	1890049   Click image for larger version

Name:	MAP-scc 25 target.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	2143322   Click image for larger version

Name:	MAP-3 SCC.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	2143330  

Name:	MAP-1 scc.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	930.6 KB
ID:	2143338  

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 05-17-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 05-15-2017, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

Post Barco Thor HC- AMG SUPERKONTRAST 2 months of paperwork completed

Stay tuned the TRITON adventure part 2 (HDR SUPERKONTRAST IM2025) is afoot.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BARCO THOR CINERAMAX SUPRKONTRAST +1-305-206-6073.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	2137770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild22.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	2137778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild20.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	561.7 KB
ID:	2137786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild13.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	518.2 KB
ID:	2137794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild12.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	439.2 KB
ID:	2137802  

Name:	Bild5.jpg
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	2137810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild4.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	490.0 KB
ID:	2137818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild11.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	474.7 KB
ID:	2137826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild7.jpg
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	2137834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild7 (1).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	2137842  

Name:	Bild19.jpg
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	2137850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild18.jpg
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	2137858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bild16.jpg
Size:	517.1 KB
ID:	2137866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aperture-P.jpg
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	2137874   Click image for larger version

Name:	aperture plate.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	2137882  

Name:	2 barco high contrast (2).png
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	2137890   Click image for larger version

Name:	xld 1-1 lens superkontrast liquid cooling.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	2137898   Click image for larger version

Name:	XD-at-back-1024x685.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	824.9 KB
ID:	2137906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Triton-Video-14.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	2137914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Triton-Video-13.jpg
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	2137922  

Name:	Triton-Video-12.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	2137930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Submittal to forbes.jpg
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	2137938   Click image for larger version

Name:	before alan 9,300 mod.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	2137946  

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 05-15-2017 at 10:32 AM.
post #93 of 104 Old 05-17-2017, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

Cool This will be an AMG like Superkontrast to outperform all Thor's WCG HDR Limits.

This projector has been a pet project since 2013, i have seen it progress every year or 6-9 months to better and better.

2 years ago i helped fine tune the roadmap to what will cumlminate in triton with the AMG-Like SUPERKONTRAST THOR.
First I challenged Barco to activate hdr through the alchemy, oh yes i did. MIN 7:44 " The IMB (Alchemy), use the IMB as the Trojan Horse."

Then I formulated a series of improvements to bring to cedia the Thor. Check that too.

Some were too optimistic due to the way rgb was mixing in the lightpipe, but Barco cleverly by last CINEMACON made it possible to a great extent by making the rgb mixed light behave more like xenon in it's diffusiveness for better eveness of luminosity without color artifacting. This was accomplished addressing the entry to the optical path. That was tested at Wolfgang's first.

What was shown at CINEMACON in terms of performance, and perfect uniformity (also in the reald booth) is by far the finest it has ever looked. However with newly found instrumentation 10 times more accurate and our experience (retrofitting Alan's super contrast lens mods in our Barco moons) in optical modifications in the MICRO-PLF realm, the door opened for us to get closest to the goal of the Maximum contrast model as envisioned in that document 2 years ago. Sharper and with more dynamic range. BINGO.

Last week despite getting some corporate HEAD WINDS resistance of what could be further possible without overheating, i appealed to my contacts in high places using the logic of MTBF in residential as opposed to cinema circuits, despite the odds It appears the logical reasoning might have pulled it off, right Uwe? No Thor HC will match the sharpness and cr. of the TRITON AMG-Like SUPERKONTRAST, and this is being achieved with FULL BARCO warranty as the projector seal will remain FACTORY INTACT. This iteration will represent the pinnacle of HDR 6p Single Projector Projection for some time.

Thus I am boldly predicting how the TRITON AMG Like SUPERKONTRAST is going to look like, because this is a very cool lifestyle room with a gorgeous view. I have simulated what the image will look at night as compared to the CINEMACON already stunning pictures. Why improve on such excellence? Because It can.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thor hc k.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	2142090   Click image for larger version

Name:	thor hc k at Triton.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	710.9 KB
ID:	2142098   Click image for larger version

Name:	THOR-2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	2142106   Click image for larger version

Name:	THOR-2 at TRITON.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	662.8 KB
ID:	2142114   Click image for larger version

Name:	THOR-4.jpg
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	2142122  

Name:	THOR-4 at Triton.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	2142130   Click image for larger version

Name:	THOR-1.jpg
Views:	2228
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	2142138   Click image for larger version

Name:	THOR-1 at TRITON.jpg
Views:	1064
Size:	639.7 KB
ID:	2142146  

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 05-17-2017 at 11:01 PM.

post #94 of 104 Old 05-17-2017, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

Post I hereby attest to this being a true fact...

What Barco Has used and is using on all their worldwide installations, specifically all of those in Europe currently in Barco Flagship Calibration. ALL.

What convinced the Barco Projection Management to implement in Triton.

This is precisely why the carefully deliberated AMG-Like approach to the Triton Superkontrast augmented with the two other Max HDR optical enhancements (curated during 2 years time) will be the PINNACLE in Value and Performance for future 6P installations to follow.

As you can see it's good to trust Barco, because Barco trusts CINERAMAX.

PD. Anyone that says that a pr-655 is enough for the Spatial Color Calibration, better have the steadiest hand in the West with such beamwidth to hit all those little squares precisely at the middle and not slightly outside, all 27-30 of them, otherwise the process is not done right. The beam spot size of the new instrument to be used in TRITON is so small compared to the pr-655 (the current gold standard worldwide) that in the hands of a competent calibrator, this new device will yield the most accurate optical correction Lut Files, for what you ask? Perfect sharpness.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	what Barco Residential CE uses to date.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	2143610   Click image for larger version

Name:	nEUE sr.jpg
Views:	2011
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	2143626  

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 05-18-2017 at 09:23 AM.
post #95 of 104 Old 05-19-2017, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

Scheduled Installation Date June 16 if convenient to client , AMG-Like SUPERKONTRAST MODS included Light Engine SK and High Precision SR for light shooting and Spatial Color Calibration. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Liquid cooled SK Hot rodded lens concept was not accepted by Barco... a Bridge Too Far!

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 05-19-2017 at 08:58 PM.
post #96 of 104 Old 05-24-2017, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

Ok ladies and gentlemen, I arranged for the world's most precise laser projector calibration instrument 10 times more accurate than the pr-655 with a minute beamspot so as to hit the center only of the 28 target rectangles in the spatial color calibration.

This is a Milestone in the History of Laser projection, 10% sharper than anything ever before. Dolby Cinema bought 9 of these.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 05-25-2017 at 02:45 PM.
post #97 of 104 Old 05-25-2017, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

Cool The things I do for my moons!

Hello Hamish,(Barco Residential Project Manager -Engineer)

I’ll be more than happy to ship aXXXXXX evaluation unit to Mr. Bart Feys. The unit will ship next week FedEx International Priority;
please provide shipping address, VAT number for custom purposes and any other instructions required for customs.

FYI: Attached is the XXXXXX brochure including technical specifications and the different viewfinder options. The evaluation unit will ship with the ?????? viewfinder
which is the recommended viewfinder for projector installations.

All the software and documentation will be in a flash drive included in the carrying case. We will also include a filter holder for 25 mm x 25 mm 3D filters.

You are welcome to keep the evaluation unit for up to 2 months. Feel free to use it for field installations and to perform evaluations in your labs.
The XXXXXX has been tested side by side against Photo Research’s PR-740 by Dolby Cinema and IMAX with excellent results.

I’ll email tracking number when the unit ships.

Best regards,

TADA!

So the beauty of the Barco is that you can save a Spatial Color Calibration in the Picture configuration files along with the S-Gamma/EOTF bespoke variants for different NIT gradings, Color Space, bit depths, 2d-3d) Laser Intensities, lens position/focus and masking info; then select it via preset from several control devices.

The correct way to test in a single projection ecosystem, because every system is different in Projection...

A) Create an SCC File with the Mystery Spectrum Radiometer.

B)Another one with the Jeti Spectraval 1501.

C)And of course also Macro with No Special Color Calibration.

Besides subtle color accuracy fine tuning, what I fully expect is that the image once the Spatial Color Calibrations are completed with the secret instrument up to 10% sharper, better MTF means nuanced gains in the quality of the HDR Image, and of course when you have the projector with the best color in the world it does not hurt to have it being the most accurately projected color images in History.

Thus a new era of BARCO SUPERSHARF comes to the first generation of Thor HDR SUPERKONTRAST. Which by the way are popping up in Germany First. I am proud to have been an active contributor to the SCC program, the alchemy program and thor superkontrast P. now the icing on the cake. A best in class flagship finely tuned IMMERSION VEHICLE comes to the Autobahn...

caveat emptor: Once yo compare the image with the besser, besten Devices, you will NOT want to go back at looking at non SCC projected images, as it will seem to be "just not right". Prepare to be visually spoiled to the limits....

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 05-25-2017 at 03:27 AM.
post #98 of 104 Old 05-25-2017, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

Cool colorimeter comparison

Terminology:
optical resolution = spectral bandwidth
calculated wavelength step = spectral resolution
wavelength accuracy = spectral accuracy

Jeti Spectraval 1501( the latest instrument acquired by Bart the premiere calibrator for Barco in Europe).

The TRITON colorimeter

The $80k PR-740

So this is the first RGB laser that will go in a Project Moon (Neptune) after many years of personal research into the field 6. We do things right or we do not do them at all. Henceforth all Moons will receive the same perfectionist approach. Yet another fine example why BARCO TRUSTS CINERAMAX..

I am honored to having brought this level of image perfection to our beloved field. No amount of money could compensate the sacrifices made in achieving this reference design.` Truly a Labor of Love.

It also, sorry if i sound like a proud papa another example how our 24/7/365 R&D in collaboration with a sophisticated pan-atlantic technical network permits us to outcompete and outdesign the finest systems in Europe and the USA.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pr-740 80k.jpg
Views:	1484
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	2154698  

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 05-25-2017 at 04:24 AM.
post #99 of 104 Old 05-25-2017, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

Cool How Spatial Color Calibration became a Communicator Post Standard Feature

Barco Communicator Post is the Dashboard (Armaturenbrett) with which to access full control of the THOR VHC .

Here is my eureka moment when I rewlised that feature which is embedded in all TI DCI projectors be integrated and accessible via a simplified GUI. Before that the scc file was deep in secret service menus.

THE EUREKA MOMENT: May 8, 2015.

Mike Babb ( THE SUPREME CALIBRATOR PJ TECH ) riding shotgun explaining how it was devised to upgrade 2k projectors to 4k.
post #100 of 104 Old 06-05-2017, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

Installation being postponed by 48 hrs. by 1000 mile Rally!

I did not know Uwe was also a Pilot, welcome to the distinguished club of moon owner pilots! Emerson, Mauricio Gugelmin, Murat, Ugo, and now Uwe will be racing this classic beauty. Break A Leg Uwe.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uwemobile.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	2173706  
mburnstein likes this.
post #101 of 104 Old 06-17-2017, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

Cool The Thor has arrived to TRITON

Do not know if the box is just sitting there since tuesday, or if Uwe's engineers have sited it already, installation is booked for the 23rd or 28th.
post #102 of 104 Old 06-26-2017, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

Ok Folks, talk is cheap, the finest ht in the world gets fired up this week. There exist no other altitude 32 ribbon installation with Barco Thor so this is the reference by which every HT gets measured now. If Uwe would only add the Strato I could sleep in peace at Night knowing Uwe is getting the very best early release presentation in HDR, correct maximum chroma resolution wcg, and cleanest less crunchy sounding atmos sound. I will not shut up until Uwe , Murat, and perhaps another Bavarian friend of ours , feed their systems with the best image and sound possible.

Dear Uwe: Please send the pictures. Bitte?

Barco did awesome due diligence testing the colorimeter against their production reference devices that are locked down on the assembly line. You could not tell the difference between the three units, highest possible praise. Bart the installer now has this color analyser and the spatial color calibration will be the most accurate ever conducted in the field, that means minimal fuschia tonality creeps on the color palette and maximum sharpness for the screen lens combo being implemented ( a bit on the short throw), combined with the fact that there is no porthole, it is going to be one hell of a sharp looking best pixel level color converging uniformity image.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 06-27-2017 at 08:15 AM.
post #103 of 104 Old 06-29-2017, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

I got a text this morning from Uwe saying he is very happy, that Bart the calibrator that setup wolfgang took pictures of the spatial color calibration for an article in widescreen review. I claim that utilising this reference spectroradiometer it makes the image sharper and that it minimizes the possibility of FUSCHIA color creep, something I have discussed with the leading Laser Expert that had feedback from the Directors Guild demos, if your wavelengths are under 2 nm don't use an instrument half as accurate.

I will ask Bart if it made such difference. If I was right I suspect he will tell wolfgang about it while the instrument is IN COUNTRY for another 3 weeks, I am sure he will let wolfgang know.

If I was wrong, I WAS WRONG. Glad i did the due diligence. Im refocusing on the future and I can get more installations going with microled where i can leverage my solid screen immersive audio expertise developed over 40 years. Plus my contacts atop the miami condo development market.

I believe Elara is going to be my last projection moon, after loge, naiad, and whatever existing moons get updated. Thank You Uwe for allowing me to use the Thor in making your cinema the most immersive in the world. It is a privilege.

Bart will send Uwe the pictures soon, stay tuned.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 06-29-2017 at 05:46 PM.
post #104 of 104 Old 07-03-2017, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

No one ever has a good camera phone around at Uwe's, these are the installation day shots.

The Projector fit perfect atop his existing double rack, the chiller hoses neatly go right up to the ceiling. We are going to need a better camera phone someone with a galaxy g7 for example.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Triton July-17-5.jpg
Views:	1277
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	2216801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Triton July-17-4.jpg
Views:	1325
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	2216809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Triton July-17-2 Lucy.jpg
Views:	1280
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	2216817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Triton July-17-8.jpg
Views:	1277
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	2216841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Triton July-17-1.jpg
Views:	1285
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	2216873  

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 07-03-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page