Equitech Balanced Power is a Miracle - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2015, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Equitech Balanced Power is a Miracle

That is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2015, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Possibly....what equipment is it feeding?

Most likely however is its feeding a switching power supply that really wouldnt care if a couple of hamsters spinning an alternator fed it a square wave.
markrubin likes this.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post
That is all.
I agree. Equi=Tech hardware has been one of the few constants in any of my setups over the years. What application are you using? A standalone unit or one wired into your power?
Old 03-03-2015, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetis View Post
I agree. Equi=Tech hardware has been one of the few constants in any of my setups over the years. What application are you using? A standalone unit or one wired into your power?
3RQ, it just makes everything so much better, better sound, better display, hell, the computer feels faster too, lol. Right now, PC and audio system are on the same unit, although I'll be experimenting with separating the two.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:43 PM
Old 03-04-2015, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Altough I dont believe these statements for one bit, sepparating the PC from the audio part is a good idea. I get high pitched noises from my speakers if the computer is too close. And its in a steel rackmount case, you'd think that would keep interference from leaking out but it still does.

OT, You don't need to spend stupid amounts of money on these things. Standard isolation transformers and double conversion UPS will do the job even better and save you money.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimelurker View Post
Possibly....what equipment is it feeding?

Most likely however is its feeding a switching power supply that really wouldnt care if a couple of hamsters spinning an alternator fed it a square wave.
true

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Old 03-04-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTOLfreak View Post
Altough I dont believe these statements for one bit, sepparating the PC from the audio part is a good idea. I get high pitched noises from my speakers if the computer is too close. And its in a steel rackmount case, you'd think that would keep interference from leaking out but it still does.

OT, You don't need to spend stupid amounts of money on these things. Standard isolation transformers and double conversion UPS will do the job even better and save you money.
Agreed. Where balanced power shines is in analog audio applications. I installed a house wide system in 2002 but as most of my HT is digital audio now, it's questionable if I get any benefit over a basic isolation transformer.

I do believe in practical power conditioning, that is at least a system wide surge protector and ideally an isolation transformer for the analog audio gear. But these claims of vast improvements are overrated IMO.

As for video, with analog systems and CRT projection like Cineramax posted, a balanced power system could easily make a visible improvement. Especially if you had ground loop hum bars. But today with digital projection via HDMI, there is no way a power conditioner can make subtle image quality improvements. Simply not possible.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Old 03-04-2015, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No belief is needed. It either works or it doesn't. In my case the difference has been nothing short of a miracle.

Considering how much I paid for it used (not much), it's the biggest bang for the buck out of all purchases. (The whole audio system is now 10k+)

Right now, I'm using optical connection to isolate the PC from the audio system now. Perfection!
Old 03-04-2015, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've been using Equitech 5Q since 1999 and it has been fantastic. Great products. We've been a dealer for years.

Silence is overrated!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I've had my 7.5Q for 6-7years, prior to that the 2Q. Definitely a great non-snake-oil product. I think the company may have downsized a little since I purchased it - originally my emails were answered by the sales manager and the last time I was in touch with them it was the founder of Equitech that I dealt with.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
Old 03-05-2015, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Well the market in the AV business is drying up for Equitech. Beyond the michrophone preamps, all mastering infrastructure is digital, in fact now largely file based so even AES and SDI is falling into disuse.

In fact isolated ground electrical systems really don't serve a purpose in broadcast and mastering facilities any more. They are still specified and installed, but the ground loop problems are rare these days with all digital routing and signal distribution.

Now there are still scientific lab needs for balance power where ultra sensitive analog measurments are being made. But this market is even smaller than the pro AV market.

So yes, it;s no surprise Equitech's revenues had fallen and they need to downsize.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Old 03-05-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Equi-Tech!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Old 03-14-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My Equi=Tech install isn't as impressive as TheBland's, but I have been running a pair of 5Q for a long time now. Alas, I don't have much analog equipment in the theater and ironically, the last analog amp I had in the system was incompatible with balanced power.