Runco the best service I have ever had yet to date from any A/V company/corporation - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-11-2015, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Arrow Runco the best service I have ever had yet to date from any A/V company/corporation

Guys,

Had a little issue with my Runco a week or so ago.

While watching a movie I noticed a Pin-Head Red Dot to the left of the top of the screen and down maybe 4-5 inches.

At 1st I thought maybe it was an alignment sort of thing for the Runco.
Never seen it before but maybe it had mistakenly left turned on with the last service.
Well I was not to bothered by it as it was really a very small red dot and way up at the top.
So usually your eyes are more focused in the center of the screen.
Plus you could only see that red dot with certain colors on the screen like a dark background.

Well days are going by and I'm thinking is the darn red dot going to simply go away at some point ???

Nope, it does not go away and now there is a 2nd red dot to the left of the center of the screen.
Now that red dot is annoying much more so than the 1st one up at the top position.
So I wait a few days and it was obvious they were not going away.

I knew from being around a long time if I could get some pictures of those red pin-head dots it would make things really easy to trouble shoot.
So I got the new Samsung Galaxy 5 cell phone that luckily has a 16 Mega Pixel camera.
The problem was trying to figure out what to get on the screen that would show the Pin-Head RED Dots clearly.
Also to where the camera would be able to pick-up those tiny Pin-Head red dots and trust me it took a lot of time and practice to finally get the pictures below.

After successfully getting useful pictures I sent them to my A/V dealer Hi-Tech innovations.
The pictures were so good when I sent them along with the explanation as to when they appeared.
My dealer sent them straight to Runco.
Runco did their research into what was causing them, made the decision to have the Runco VX-11d picked up and shipped to them.

Hi-Tech innovations sent their tech by and picked it up the Runco to ship back.
Meanwhile since I had purchased an extended warranty Runco agreed to ship the projector back Next-Day-Air after doing the repair.
So since they were willing to do that I got with one of the owners of Hi-Tech innovations and ask if he was willing to split the cost on shipping the projector to Runco Next-Day-Air ?
He said he would do that so off it went to Runco.

Well it turns out it was the {Light Engine} in the Runco that went bad.

Runco replaced it, tested it that day after the repair, shipped back Next-Day-Air to Hi-Tech innovations.
Yesterday morning at 7:20 AM tech shows-up to reinstall unit.

He did the reinstall and went through the necessary adjustments and then we watched a Blu-ray movie for a bit to make sure all was A-OK.

I also was granted something else from Runco that really made my day.
They (Runco) signed-off on letting me extend my existing warranty on the VX-11d & DHD Controller for another 2-years.
My current extended warranty would run out July 2, 2016.
So I now have thanks to Hi-Tech innovations working with Runco two years more which takes me to July 2, 2018.

So guys this has to be one for the record books on "Excellent" service for both my local A/V dealer as well as the manufacturer Runco.

Below are the pictures I took of the Red-Pin-Head Dots.

So all is good once again and I took a few cell pics and sent to Runco's Service Manager & Hi-Tech innovations.
Runco's Service Manager wanted to see the H/T so no worries with my trusty Samsung Galaxy 5 cell phone camera.

Terry
______
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-11-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Looks like stuck mirrors on the DMD responsible for the color red. Glad Runco repaired it professionally.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FS: Runco Q750i 1080p LED Projector
My Crazy Projector Journey!
post #3 of 8 Old 04-11-2015, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It seems rare for any company these days to actually take care of their customers once the sale is made. Hats off to Runco for being one of the exceptions.

Very nice home theater.

BenQ W1070 front projector, Definitive Technology BP2002 towers, Def Tech CLR2002 center, Def Tech BP2X surrounds, Def Tech PF15 subwoofer, Denon AVR3300 receiver, Panasonic Blu-Ray player, Apple TV, Roku device, Monoprice HDMI switcher
post #4 of 8 Old 04-11-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Well, I can't say the same for trying to get ANY kind of service for a Vidikron projector sold by Runco after they bought them. The customer ABSOLUTELY insisted that the unit was repaired, even though I'd advised her not to (divorce settlement, all she knew is that her ex paid $34K for it.)

Runco didn't return my calls as promised, customer got somewhat of a runaround, then threatened to sue Runco, after which they responded. Long story short, she ended up spending over $1K to try and get it going, but as I predicted originally, she never was able to get it running. No idea what she ended up doing, but when she talked to me, I told her to save her money and get a $1K projector (since she didn't want to spend any money on the system whatsoever.)

Terry, I know you're a big fan of Runco, but it does also seem that this projector has failed at least twice, if it's the same one that you posted about a couple of years ago.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #5 of 8 Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Looks like stuck mirrors on the DMD responsible for the color red. Glad Runco repaired it professionally.
In my case I have no idea what actually happened but I do know they replaced the (Light Engine) per their Service Mgr.
Planar Systems, Inc. actually is the holding company for Runco.
They do take care of business.
I'm totally satisfied with all the Runco products I have had now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five28 View Post
It seems rare for any company these days to actually take care of their customers once the sale is made. Hats off to Runco for being one of the exceptions.

Very nice home theater.
Thank you Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post
Well, I can't say the same for trying to get ANY kind of service for a Vidikron projector sold by Runco after they bought them. The customer ABSOLUTELY insisted that the unit was repaired, even though I'd advised her not to (divorce settlement, all she knew is that her ex paid $34K for it.)

Runco didn't return my calls as promised, customer got somewhat of a runaround, then threatened to sue Runco, after which they responded. Long story short, she ended up spending over $1K to try and get it going, but as I predicted originally, she never was able to get it running. No idea what she ended up doing, but when she talked to me, I told her to save her money and get a $1K projector (since she didn't want to spend any money on the system whatsoever.)

Terry, I know you're a big fan of Runco, but it does also seem that this projector has failed at least twice, if it's the same one that you posted about a couple of years ago.
Curt,

I'm doing this from memory and I'll be the 1st to say at 69 yrs young it ain't that good.

In saying the above I don't think you are one of the people that likes Runco products as I recall from years ago.
That to me is not even an issue as there are many things on the market that I don't care for but other people certainly do.
After all the yrs I have been around there is one thing I have learned.
Don't try to get another person to like or agree with you when they have already let you know where they stand opinion wise or product wise.
So there is No-Way I'll even remotely go there with you.
I like Runco products and as I said I'm pretty sure you don't.
So if it's okay with you lets just agree to disagree on Runco.

I have owned multiple Runco projectors now.
And yes the Runco VX5000ci had things happen to it.
They were corrected and I continued to enjoy it as the yrs rolled by.
The only reason I did finally move on was to get a high-end projector that would show 1080p.
As well as changing/up-dating my other components at the same time.
When the Blu-ray came out I knew I had to get on board and I also knew Runco had excellent ratings for their pictures.
I then changed dealers and have never looked back.

If you by chance are not aware Runco was purchased yrs ago by Planar Systems, Inc.

http://www.runco.com/announcements/p...-international

http://www.planar.com/about/history/

Quote:
2007 –
Quote:
Planar acquires Runco International, accelerating its presence in the global custom home theater market.
Known worldwide for producing the world’s finest home theater products, Runco has been a leading brand in the high-end, custom home theater market for the past two decades, and has developed some of the industry’s most advanced home theater solutions, such as CineWide and Video Xtreme™ projection equipment.
One of the things that greatly helped me was Planar's approach to service.
That was backed up by my new dealer of choice, High-Tech innovations.
The other thing I found out with Runco now being part of Planar was you could purchase extended warranties.
I knew then after many hrs of in depth research, new Authorized Runco Dealer, Planar's business philosophy my decision was sound.
And I can say my current Runco dealer is excellent in dealing with Runco.

I don't know of to many companies that would bend/flex and allow their customer to purchase an extension of their original extended warranty for an additional two-years.
And also have a turn around time of less than a week on a repair.
Including shipping back to their dealer the projector, Next-Day-Air after the repair.
To each their own but I'll stay with my current dealer and also Runco.

I luv my H/T system as the Audio & Picture/Image matches perfectly.
My current H/T system ...........

My dealer/owner and main technician.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; Yesterday at 12:34 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hey Terry - I see you have four Mirage BPS-400 or are they BPSS-210s? Those were great subs in their day! I owned a BPS-400 for a while, loved it to death, then regrettably sold it off "out of the network" of local friends, never to see it again. It's too bad Mirage isn't the same speaker company today as it was 20 years ago. Great products back then. I still have an old set of M3si towers I've given to my dad to enjoy. I won't get rid of those bipolars!

Those speakers must be JM Lab Utopia-series circa 2002?

How do you like the Aurolex product?

Last edited by Michael Osadciw; Yesterday at 06:14 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw View Post
Hey Terry - I see you have four Mirage BPS-400 or are they BPSS-210s? Those were great subs in their day! I owned a BPS-400 for a while, loved it to death, then regrettably sold it off "out of the network" of local friends, never to see it again. It's too bad Mirage isn't the same speaker company today as it was 20 years ago. Great products back then. I still have an old set of M3si towers I've given to my dad to enjoy. I won't get rid of those bipolars!

Those speakers must be JM Lab Utopia-series circa 2002?

How do you like the Aurolex product?
Michael,

Those are the Mirage BPS-400 series.
And there are 4 of them.
They really get the job done quiet nicely.

Yes on the JM Lab Utopia series also.
All the speakers are that series, fronts, center, sides & rears.
They do an excellent job in the space they are located in.

The Aurolex as you saw are under all 4 subs.
They work out nicely to hold down vibration.
They also keep the dishes & glasses on the other side of that back wall from rattling.
Some of the kitchen cabinets are on the other side of that back wall.
The H/T is over the 2 1/2 car garage below.
Plus they are also as you saw used to tilt those rear spkrs at just the right angle.
Plus they don't allow any extra vibrations to the custom rear wall stands.

I am totally pleased with my H/T as the picture is just totally awesome and very BRIGHT with the Runco.
That is a 123" Stewart Grey Hawk with 4-way remote masking.
What is so nice is the system is so complete in that the image and audio are such a great match.

Terry
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Planar, integrated engineering team, i.e. people re-deployed to work on Planar products, like that 84" LCD series of a few years ago, I was told the adressing electronics in that display was designed by a former Runco guy. Runco hasn't made a showing at the ISE show for a few years now. Just the Planar booth, no private room for Runco anymore, I believe the year with the LS100 Ultra-short-Throw LED with 100" screen, and the dual head LED, was the last showing in Amsterdam, so either they gave up on Europe, or Planar is not pushing the brand too hard anymore?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)