Theta Casablanca Owners' Thread: Setup Help and Wish List :-) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 39 Old 08-03-2017, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 1398

CB IVa Is Here!!

Please still post questions in the main Theta thread. This thread is mainly my storage of information only.

Wishlist and bugs:
CB IVa has a lot less bugs and problems than CB IIIHD. The few that I could see:
1. HDMI switching causes problem with handshake: HDMI handshake is ok at first turn on, but once on, if you switch say from input 1 to input 2, handshake for input 2 is not successful. Solution: leave at input 2, turn Casablanca off and then back on using the remote's power button.
HDMI switching causes problem with upmixing lossy Dolby codec: for lossy source such as from DVD, cable, & Netflix, first turn-on is ok, but if you switch to a different input and then switch back, the upmixing no longer occurs, even if the display says so. Solution: turn Casablanca off and then on.
3. Sampling rate display is not accurate.
4. Dirac filter: still only 1. I would not mind paying more to get a second filter.

What you'll receive & need:
Accessories and Manuals: Microphone, USB stick with the mic file, and 5 booklets total:

1. IVa Quick Start Guide
2. The red manual (cover page in big bold red letters)
3. Manual with Cover Page starting with: "This Section Will Cover The Dirac Measurement...."
4. Manual with Cover Page: "This Section Will Address The First Three Tabs..."
5. Manual with Cover Page: "The Final Three Tabs Of The Dirac Calibration Process..."

Equipment You Will Need:
Windows Laptop, at least i3 CPU with clock speed 2.5 GHz and above, 3 or 4 USB ports preferred (for Casablanca, the microphone, USB stick, and mouse).
Mine is a Windows 10 laptop, but Win 7 and 8 should also work. My laptop is an i7 with 2.7 clock speed and 16 gb memory, and even so it runs slow, so the more powerful, the better.
Boom mic/microphone stand: Something like this from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Ohuhu-Microph...boom+mic&psc=1

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound. (For CB IVa setup help, click HERE.)
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 09-07-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 08-03-2017, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

A few points I learned that hopefully would help other owners in Theta Casablanca IVa setup. These points are supplements to the Theta's manuals, in particular the Dirac "red manual," so sorry you still must RTFM . In the red manual, there is a summary page of the whole process - I referred to this page repeatedly, while reading the other manuals. It's a relatively simple process and will make a lot more sense once you are next to machine and know the little idiosyncrasies. Thanks to John B, Jeff, Steve B., etc. and all who have helped.

1. Play a 2 channel music CD during spl level setup and Dirac setup. For level setup, it could be HDMI, but for Dirac setup it must be through Toslink, NOT HDMI. I red bold face this because this alone has caused me most of my problems with Dirac. The manual mentions "play a CD," but does not note that you have to connect with Toslink, and not HDMI. It's also a good idea to have the CD player plays in infinite repeat, because during the process if the CD stops at the end, the setup process will stop working.
***What happens if you use HDMI for Dirac: the top ceiling speakers stay silent during the Dirac process. I found out the hard way.
***What happens if you don't use infinite repeat in playing the CD: if you are slow (and I was at first), the CD stops at the end and the setup shows communication failure IIRC.
***Since the music, from said "CD playing music connected through Toslink," is playing, how could you set up mic gain and start any measurement? When you are ready to set up the mic gain, click on the little arrow/play button of the left front channel, the music would then mute so you could start calibrating and measuring.

2. Must STOP the CD before uploading the Dirac file to Theta, or uploading will fail. In other words, during the Dirac process, you first play the CD in infinite repeat, but after "Optimization" and before exporting the filter to Casablanca, you MUST stop the CD. Must.

3. Before Dirac measurement step, take one last look to see that the subwoofer channel is checked as "subwoofer." This may get de-selected as you move back and forth. AFAIK this is important to the process.

4. This is in the manual but bear repeating: What you want to select on first page of Dirac setup is: Custom, 12 speakers, Theta Casablanca with 4 heights. When you get to the mic setup page, the first time around, only Left and Right channel show. You then have to enter the other 8 channels manually and then, go back to the first page and click re-scan. It is this re-scan step that seems to have caused the subwoofer check mark to be de-selected in 3 above.

5. As Steve has mentioned: Before Dirac setup, you turn off all crossovers, meaning run all speakers full range. Use the Sofa (not Chair) pattern for microphone placements. Once you have done Dirac, go back and turn on the crossover, *then* you reset speaker levels.

6. There is a Save Project button that John B would use after a. Measurement (labeled as such), b. Target, and c. Optimization. There is also a "Save Target" button that you could use to save the Target curves.

7. IMHO, don't even think about doing this during day time. The mic is extremely sensitive and picks up noise from far away truck, airplane, bath room fan, water sprinkler, and even boat, etc., etc. I live in a relatively quiet area and still was so frustrated at times.

8. If Dirac program doesn't recognize Theta: cycle Theta on/off using the power switch in the back, NOT the front. These are the steps I have tried successfully to get Casablanca to appear and be recognized by Dirac program:
a. Power off Casablanca with button in the back, close and restart Dirac software on your computer.
b. Close and restart Dirac software on your computer, without turning Casablanca off.
c. "Rescan" on first tab of Dirac software.
"a" is the safest method of making sure every thing is working. Powering off Casablanca using front button did not help at any given time.

Last edited by cannga; 09-07-2017 at 05:00 PM.
post #33 of 39 Old 08-03-2017, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

You might want to buy a demo disc, either DTS or Atmos, for the fun factor. The channel call-out feature of these discs is helpful in assuring all speakers, including tops, are wired correctly. All these discs cost an arm and a leg (price gouging), or are only available from suspicious sources in Asia etc., except this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-DTS-Dem...-/272484538347

It is unusually inexpensive for a demo disc and once this seller runs out of copies, I suspect the price would shoot up. Highly recommended.

To my ears so far :-), the value of height speakers/info is most noticeable in more quiet scenes, where ambient/atmospheric info is not drowned out. Height info is not as obvious in bombastic scenes such as lightning strikes in War of the Worlds, because here LCR and subwoofer still dominate (and critical for scaring your neighbors ). These demo discs highlight height info more readily and make me better; I've spent money for something so obviously audible.

Last edited by cannga; 08-03-2017 at 12:28 AM.

post #34 of 39 Old 08-03-2017, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Res
post #35 of 39 Old 08-03-2017, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Res 2

Last edited by cannga; 08-03-2017 at 12:33 AM.
post #36 of 39 Old 08-06-2017, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Res
post #37 of 39 Old 09-07-2017, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Res 3
post #38 of 39 Old 09-07-2017, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Res 4
post #39 of 39 Old 09-07-2017, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just to add to the data bass oops data base here, as we are all adding a gazillion cables to the system. I used to use Blue Jeans but per rec. here have switched to Pro Audio LA http://www.proaudiola.com/category-s/912.htm because it's the same cable, for example Canare Star Quad and Neutrik gold, yet much cheaper (significantly so last time I compared). They could custom make any cable you need, such as RCA-XLR conversion cable, etc. Fast shipping, very high quality, cheap. Local to Los Angeles btw.

Different cables are available but my long term preference is Canare Star Quad, and of course the standard Neutrik XLR connectors.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://www.proaudiola.com/category-s/376.htm

Compare
XLR-Female to XLR-Male | Made from Canare Quad L-4E6S & Neutrik Gold Connectors Base Price $18.25

• Canare StarQuad L-4E6S Balanced Audio Cable
  • Hand-Soldered to Neutrik Gold Connectors
  • Cable Available in 10 Colors and Assorted Lengths
  • Select Cable Color and Length on Product Page
  • Lifetime Warranty (Pro Audio LA Warranty Covers Parts & Workmanship)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Compare
RCA to RCA Cable | Made from Canare Quad L-4E6S & Amphenol Gold Connectors Base Price $14.25

• Canare StarQuad L-4E6S Balanced Audio Cable
  • Hand-Soldered to Amphenol Gold Connectors
  • Cable Available in 10 Colors and Assorted Lengths
  • Select Cable Color and Length on Product Page
  • Lifetime Warranty (Pro Audio LA Warranty Covers Parts & Workmanship)

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound. (For CB IVa setup help, click HERE.)
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 09-07-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page