Way to go Comcast atmos set top box rack mountable - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
post #1 of 113 Unread 10-23-2015, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 Unread 10-23-2015, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 1713
this caught my interest: would use with an RTI system for IP control once they release the IP driver

I have Tivo Roamio Pro and a Comcast RNG 150 stb now: I thought I read if you get the X1 other stb's will not work?

not quite ready to give up DirecTV though...

what does my attorney say?

please take the high road in every post
Please do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it to Mods to handle
new forum:High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

post #3 of 113 Unread 10-23-2015, 03:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Wow! How that is awesome!! I've got to find out how to swap out my theater box for that one.

Going to have to get Itai at iRule to handle the feedback!

Good find! I'm going to look into that today!

It's back!! Wine of the Week! Clos Martinet Tinto, Priorat DOCa, Spain ~$60. If you've not had a good Priorat, you've not truly tried Spain's smallest, yet most unique terroir.
My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon
post #4 of 113 Unread 10-23-2015, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This is awesome, Comcast is doing some great things techwise, very happy with their internet service. But until they get FS2 and a true competitor to Sunday Ticket, think I will be with DirecTV a bit longer...

Tom
post #5 of 113 Unread 10-23-2015, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Cool In HDR no less and we can make this work with DCI projectors to be sure!

X1 to debut Xfinity in UHD with hundreds of titles added including hit series from Starz, Syfy, USA and films originally shown in IMAX®, enabling customers to create 
unlimited virtual 4k linear channels with customized playlist feature.

PHILADELPHIA, PA
Comcast today announced that it will launch a 4K ultra high-definition (UHD) set-top box later this year as it brings the Xfinity in UHD catalog to the X1 platform. The new X1 set-top box, the Xi4, will deliver Xfinity TV customers 4K UHD content—four times the resolution of high-definition—directly to the television, enabling X1 customers to enjoy unlimited virtual 4K linear channels by creating personalized playlists from the Xfinity in UHD library. Customers will also enjoy high dynamic range (HDR) programming—increased color, contrast and brightness—with the launch of a new HDR set-top box, the Xi5, next year.

"With Xfinity in UHD, our customers can easily and seamlessly enjoy some of the best 4K programming available today as part of their subscription with no additional equipment or costs," said Matt Strauss, Executive Vice President and General Manager of Video Service for Comcast Cable. "We are committed to providing the highest-quality entertainment experiences across platforms and our next-generation set-top boxes deliver on that promise—providing our customers with UHD and HDR programming on the biggest screen in the home."

Comcast will add hundreds of titles to the Xfinity in UHD catalog and library, including films originally produced for IMAX® and other Giant Screen Theaters from K2 Communications and Havoc TV like The Ultimate Wave Tahiti, Antarctica, Rocky Mountain Express, Fighter Pilot and Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia. Full current seasons of hit TV shows such as Syfy’s Defiance; USA’s Playing House, Satisfaction and Suits; and original programming from STARZ including Outlander and Power will also be included.

Initially launched last year on 2014 Samsung UHD TVs, Xfinity in UHD offers one of the biggest and best 4K libraries available today, providing Xfinity TV customers with on demand access to full current seasons of some of the season’s hottest shows, Giant Screen films and more at no additional cost.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 10-23-2015 at 07:33 AM.
post #6 of 113 Unread 10-23-2015, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

How DirecTV Practically At Gun Point Stole $3,500 from me!

I had purchased 3 directv boxes before they went to rental only contracts, off the top of my headthese hr-21's were around 800 dollars, in addition I had modded these with the first enterprise class 3TB harddrives. When I left Marco Island they demanded I return the boxes to them in the rush of the moment i could not end up opening the stb's due to star screws.

2,400 for the stb's and 1,200 for the drives, add it up. They insisted with bi-daily phone calls that the fine print had turned over purchased stb's to rentals, and that they would ruin my credit if I did not return, so i did.

May a rogue country develop laser weaponised satellites and blast their birds out of the firmament. THIEVES! THUGS!
post #7 of 113 Unread 10-23-2015, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

I had an HR24 go bad at my house, with the Protection Plan I figured it would be easy to get a replacement

Not so easy: the self test of the HR24 indicated it was working normally, so DirecTV would not replace it .

I called D* to cancel my account (customer since Oct 1994) and they immediately sent me a replacement HR24 which works fine: they have yet to ask for the defective box return.

used to be DirecTV had the best customer service: especially over Comcast...

Please do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it to Mods to handle

post #8 of 113 Unread 10-23-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Now, just try to order one!

Tell the CSR, "I want the rack mount version". "That what?" "We don't have anything like that."

Remember the 1394 Firewire cable boxes and trying to order one of those versus the standard box.
post #9 of 113 Unread 10-23-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 418
I have TIVO Roamio and 6 TIVO Minis .....all with lifetime membership.
Kaleidoscope has ditched the Premier Line owners with the Strator Line - I will keep it only for 1080P content.
I am going Streaming on 4K and all movie purchases through download....
Comcast will be my platform going forward - will ditch TIVO.
This weekend Comcast gets my internet upgraded from 150 mbps to 250 mbps. They told me my home is in the zone to get 2 Gigabit Internet NOW by fibre. I met Comcast guys at CEDIA they said first quarter Comcast will be able to deliver 1 Gigabit Internet on Coax...and eventually 2 Gigabit on Coax...
They've even given me a direct contact (a person) I can call if I have issues at my home)..
Me Likey Comcast Too Much...

Last edited by Ash Sharma; 10-23-2015 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Typo
post #10 of 113 Unread 10-23-2015, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Tell that to all the professional streamers in Vegas and other Comcast only places, they are paying through the nose for their 3G back-up, thethering through their phones. A podcaster from the very early day, 2004, recently moved to Florida, Comcast horror, and still his weekly livestream on Ustream is regularly aborted, Comcast's 10 Mbit/s upstream drops to only half a megabit/s and gets interrupted, even after 5-10 visits. Even a VPN does not always help get through past Comcast's local access point.
post #11 of 113 Unread 10-23-2015, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

I like comcast besides the basic service is included in my complex utitilities so saves me 120 month over directv,
post #12 of 113 Unread 10-23-2015, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup and DirecTV's data service also is not broadband, but metered like Comcast, so they both limit people that actually use the speed offered.
post #13 of 113 Unread 10-25-2015, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Will it require the new Comcast fiber optic installation? If so, it is $1,000 to install, $300 a month fee, and $1000 to cancel.
post #14 of 113 Unread 10-25-2015, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

post #15 of 113 Unread 10-26-2015, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post
Tell the CSR, "I want the rack mount version". "That what?" "We don't have anything like that."

Remember the 1394 Firewire cable boxes and trying to order one of those versus the standard box.
Comcast says there is a shortage of X1 boxes (the standard kind) and won't even take an order for one!

post #16 of 113 Unread 10-26-2015, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
Comcast says there is a shortage of X1 boxes (the standard kind) and won't even take an order for one!

What!!! Oh man....I just assembled my new rack and was mentally visualizing.....

I do have a high level very HDR knowledgeable X1 Program VP contact from Cedia, later in the week I will try get us some!
post #17 of 113 Unread 10-26-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I had an HR24 go bad at my house, with the Protection Plan I figured it would be easy to get a replacement

Not so easy: the self test of the HR24 indicated it was working normally, so DirecTV would not replace it .

I called D* to cancel my account (customer since Oct 1994) and they immediately sent me a replacement HR24 which works fine: they have yet to ask for the defective box return.

used to be DirecTV had the best customer service: especially over Comcast...
Very true - Directv used to have the best customer service in the business. Not any more. I switched from Directv to Comcast this past July, 2015. I'm very happy with the service, so far. Every company has issues. Directv basically stonewalled me on my signal problems and continual outages. Said they would call - - never did. I had the extended service but it means nothing.

Plus - no Pac 12 Network. Directv will probably never have the Pac 12 Network. Important for folks out West.

AND....your attorney says, "Call me - any time for a consultation. Reasonable hourly billing - - experienced in dealing with all service providers."

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED & BenQ W1080ST & Vizio M43C1
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp) & Emotive XPA-3, 200 WPC
OPPO 103, Comcast Infinity X1, Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR) CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #18 of 113 Unread 10-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

this morning I received a letter from Comcast saying my modem must be replaced with a newer one they will send for free: they claim it is for faster internet speed

However I already have rated speed for my service (130 up/ 12 down) and my Arris modem is Docsis 3.0, and listed as compliant for Comcast Blast service.

A friend at work says the only reason they are replacing them is to add more WiFi Hotspots: i.e. the new Comcast modem is called a Wireless Gateway and in addition to builtin WiFi for the customer, it also can act as a WiFi Hot Spot: he has this at his vacation home and says he can shutoff Comcast service when he is not there and the WiFi Hot Spot still works: and it is free if he keeps the account current.

I don't want to have a Hot Spot and heard there is a way to shut it off, but not sure: and I use Ubiquity WAP's for in home WiFi so no need for Comcast WiFi at all.

anyone have experience with this?

and Peter if you can get me an X1 box I would be in your debt: rack mount or not

post #19 of 113 Unread 10-26-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mark,
I received this new modem over the weekend - no time to install it as I had better things to do - like being at the Austin F1 Races :-)
The modem is a fe inches taller than my previous modem and can do speeds upto 250 mbps - and that is what I am upgrading to...
I noticed three wifi channels hime 1, 2 and 3 and noticed that it is 'ac' modem so if you don't have a external router it will connect at 'ac' speeds.
Like you I plan to retain my Netgear nighthawk AC 8200 router which is a awesome router..
Comcast shipped this in a 'X1 entertainment box' I guess they want to package the service as VOIP, Streaming blah blah and this modem being the centerpiece and in most home you can do away with a router like Netgear I have..
Ash
post #20 of 113 Unread 10-27-2015, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

X1 in the house!

I was reminded of a lesson today about Comcast: one I should have remembered: never ever call or do an on line chat with Comcast...unless you are prepared to be very frustrated and receive incorrect information

Today I walked into my local Comcast office and they had plenty of X1 boxes there (no, not the rack mount model): even though the phone rep told me there are none available in NJ

I also got the new modem

It took all of 5 minutes to setup and get the X1 working: so far so good

more: the new modem is faster without changing internet plans:

down 177 Vs 130
up 11.2 Vs 12
CINERAMAX likes this.

Last edited by markrubin; 10-27-2015 at 03:07 PM.
post #21 of 113 Unread 10-30-2015, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

the X1 is an excellent DVR so far: assuming Comcast can get it to work properly:

I have been running my Tivo Roamio Pro and X1 on 2 identical displays side by side: I think the X1 PQ is at least as good as the Tivo: perhaps a bit better. But I see the X1 picture pixelate and freeze, and lose audio, while the Tivo picture is unaffected.

The X1 needs a high signal strength to work properly versus the Tivo that needs 10 db of attenuation of the cable signal in my home. So even without any attenuators in the line the X1 is showing heavy pixelization and loss of audio on some channels: the signal meter on the X1 (under Comcast labs) is pretty useless: changing signal levels by 6 db makes no change in the signal level meter: it shows good all the time: but Comcast says the signal level, which they show at 98%, is low and they need to send a tech out to install an amp tomorrow.

I also had several other errors with XRE codes: Comcast was able to fix those remotely which did help

If Comcast can fix the signal level problem the X1 will be a keeper for me: I like the interface and the box is fast and fairly responsive.

I was able to find a set of IR codes to control the X1 for my RTI remote control system: even when the X1 is set to RF remote it still accepts IR codes: this works OK until I can get drivers for 2 way control via Ethernet.

Last edited by markrubin; 10-30-2015 at 03:19 AM.
post #22 of 113 Unread 11-01-2015, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

Comcast tech comes to house: takes one look at X1 and says it is old, first generation (green power light) and no good: he commented 'How could they have given you the first gen box that they know was problematic?' and no amp was needed: in fact he said the feed to the house was too hot (21 db versus their spec of 20 db max) and he called for a line tech to check the signal at the pole.

replaces it with X1 with blue power light: all is good

the blue power light X1 has no component video out which I was going to use in addition to HDMI, but I do not want to call Comcast ever again: my 'easy self install' of the new modem and X1 cost me hours of troubleshooting and issues dealing with them.

now that I have a functioning X1 box: this is far and away the best box Comcast has ever issued: way better than the RNG series. In fact this may be the best stb from any service: I think it beats my DirecTV HR44

Last edited by markrubin; 11-01-2015 at 03:49 AM.
post #23 of 113 Unread 11-01-2015, 05:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Speed....

Internet Speed..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xfinity Speed.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1031865  
markrubin likes this.
post #24 of 113 Unread 11-01-2015, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

the new rackmount box to be available to CXI custom Xfinity Integration program.

still to become active:
http://cxicentral.com/login.php

I ll volunteer to be the guinea pig, what else is new.
post #25 of 113 Unread 11-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Will movies be lossless with this system?
post #26 of 113 Unread 11-11-2015, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Ahum 4K = 12(+) gigabit/s Comcast = metered access, despites its 100 gigabit per color live network demonstration years ago, so no movies will not be lossless. Secondly any caputuring = subsampling = lossy.

Is anyone already using the X1 platform? I was at a conference yesterday and the iControl CEO was telling how Comcast was using its X1 entertainment platform to introduce/offer 'smart home' primarily Home Security and other services on top, and supposedly very succesful at it. So, do you use that service(s)? Do you use similar services, such as (self-)monitored security, energy monitoring, remote control? Would you use it if offered? Would you use it if Comcast offered such (paid for) services? Personally, I am always very sceptic, hesitant, and reluctant, one could say old fashioned.
post #27 of 113 Unread 11-11-2015, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mikela, lossless audio perhaps? But it is a mass consumer service, so doubtful.
post #28 of 113 Unread 11-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just got my X1 box. I had a weak signal, 8?, and they installed an amp in the line. It's now awesome.
I also really like the new interface.
When I have Atmos up and running in a few months, I'll have to get the newer box for that.
David

DES
post #29 of 113 Unread 05-12-2016, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have the X1 Rackmount box installed. Got it today.

No Atmos selection in the menu, but sounds way better when Stereo(PCM) is selected than the X1 mini I had down in the theater rack.

So far no IP control either so SimpleControl is still controlling it via a IR blaster.
post #30 of 113 Unread 05-13-2016, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)