Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500 - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 773Likes

post #1411 of 2758 Old 11-04-2016, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked: 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aareses View Post
I love the Kaleidescape experience, it is truly phenomenal! The Strato we purchased is a pricy unit, but at first we thought it was well worth it. Now the dilemma is content. When we purchased the Strato, the intent was to buy all our movies from the K-Store. Unfortunately, it hasn't been working out that way. Many of the titles we want aren't yet on the K-Store and those that are turn out to be more expensive.

We have been buying most of our movies recently from Amazon, where the titles we want are offered in 4K HDR and aren't on the K-Store. For those few titles the K-Store does have, not all have Dolby Atmos, whereas the physical disc does. That seems odd to me, but it is an unfortunate reality. Even when it's an HD movie, Amazon is a lot cheaper, we get a physical disc AND the UV rights, which allow us to download our movies from the K-Store to the Strato. Plus there is the worry that if we purchase all our lossless titles on the K-Store, will it be there in the future.

I am a big Kaleidescape fan. I am glad I bought a Strato, it is truly a wonderful experience. I want Kaleidescape to succeed, but a "Premium" system needs to have premium titles in both Atmos and 4K HDR. I'm glad the HDR and Atmos firmware revisions are out now. I know they are building the store out and adding more titles and hopefully studios, that is great. I can't wait!

Bottom line is, Kaleidescape needs to make their pricing and title offerings competitive as well. For me personally, I know I'll always have a physical disc, but I don't know how sound my investment is for buying titles from K-Store. While the Strato is costly, the price pales compared to the amount I would spend on movies...but that's just me. I want to believe and am hoping they pull it off in every facet!
Well said! I couldn’t agree more. Your thoughts bring two more thoughts to my mind: (1) I hope Kscape listens to our concerns and (2) is able to do something about them.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 2758 Old 11-04-2016, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
We have been buying most of our movies recently from Amazon, where the titles we want are offered in 4K HDR and aren't on the K-Store. For those few titles the K-Store does have, not all have Dolby Atmos, whereas the physical disc does. That seems odd to me, but it is an unfortunate reality. Even when it's an HD movie, Amazon is a lot cheaper, we get a physical disc AND the UV rights, which allow us to download our movies from the K-Store to the Strato. Plus there is the worry that if we purchase all our lossless titles on the K-Store, will it be there in the future.
Does a streamed 4k hdr look better than a bitperfect k file?
post #1413 of 2758 Old 11-05-2016, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
Why are you and others not doing vudu UV D2D or even Free2D?
I look forward to same day first run release to kscape. I would pay a premium for that.

post #1414 of 2758 Old 11-06-2016, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Two nights ago (Friday), we watched Star Trek Beyond in 4K HDR on a physical disc using my UHD Player (in signature). WOW! It was an auditory and visual treat. Beautiful and very dynamic.

Last night I watched my first 4K-HDR title on my Strato. The title was "Hancock". The movie had a very significant "grainy" effect on most scenes. It looked worse than most HD titles overall. The really bad part was the movie kept going "dark", meaning the video stopped displaying, but the audio did keep playing. I could rewind the scenes that kept going black and it seemed they would play in areas that had gone dark. To me it did not appear to be a bad download or anything. I did restart the Strato and the screen continued to go dark. It wasn't a good experience, especially for a "Premium" system.

Directly after watching Hancock, I watched an HD title and there was no issue. I am hoping this was an anomaly and do have other HDR titles to watch over the coming days. I do plan to contact Kaleidescape Technical Support on Monday. Hopefully there is an easy fix.

Evolution of My Theater Build

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
post #1415 of 2758 Old 11-06-2016, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked: 1267
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Hi Bud, You did beat me to a post the other day, don't make a habit or I will have one of my homies come visit you. Ya feel me?

The hancock don't look that great on UHD either. it's hard for a movie tinted and with blown out gamma on purpose to look good in hdr unless you have a 10k nit display.

Best looking Strati flicks: smurfs2, fury,hotel tranny 2,spidey 2,angry birds the shallows<-Fvcking Awesome, and yes Pride and prejudice the zombies. Those generally look better than the uhd bd to me.
Aareses likes this.
post #1416 of 2758 Old 11-06-2016, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Two nights ago (Friday), we watched Star Trek Beyond in 4K HDR on a physical disc using my UHD Player (in signature). WOW! It was an auditory and visual treat. Beautiful and very dynamic.

Last night I watched my first 4K-HDR title on my Strato. The title was "Hancock". The movie had a very significant "grainy" effect on most scenes. It looked worse than most HD titles overall. The really bad part was the movie kept going "dark", meaning the video stopped displaying, but the audio did keep playing. I could rewind the scenes that kept going black and it seemed they would play in areas that had gone dark. To me it did not appear to be a bad download or anything. I did restart the Strato and the screen continued to go dark. It wasn't a good experience, especially for a "Premium" system.

Directly after watching Hancock, I watched an HD title and there was no issue. I am hoping this was an anomaly and do have other HDR titles to watch over the coming days. I do plan to contact Kaleidescape Technical Support on Monday. Hopefully there is an easy fix.
I've experienced the video going dark on many 4K titles (several times per movie). I assumed it was some kind of sync/cable issue (due to the higher bit rate). In my case I have a 25 foot cable going to a projector and am waiting for reliable 18Gbps cables to be released.
post #1417 of 2758 Old 11-06-2016, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

post #1418 of 2758 Old 11-06-2016, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I love the Kaleidescape experience, it is truly phenomenal! The Strato we purchased is a pricy unit, but at first we thought it was well worth it. Now the dilemma is content. When we purchased the Strato, the intent was to buy all our movies from the K-Store. Unfortunately, it hasn't been working out that way. Many of the titles we want aren't yet on the K-Store and those that are turn out to be more expensive.

I am a big Kaleidescape fan. I am glad I bought a Strato, it is truly a wonderful experience. I want Kaleidescape to succeed, but a "Premium" system needs to have premium titles in both Atmos and 4K HDR. I'm glad the HDR and Atmos firmware revisions are out now. I know they are building the store out and adding more titles and hopefully studios, that is great. I can't wait!

Bottom line is, Kaleidescape needs to make their pricing and title offerings competitive as well. For me personally, I know I'll always have a physical disc, but I don't know how sound my investment is for buying titles from K-Store. While the Strato is costly, the price pales compared to the amount I would spend on movies...but that's just me. I want to believe and am hoping they pull it off in every facet!

Just saw they added Sully, ( available on release date)
Only HD not UHD.
Why would they do that?
Just Makes no sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1419 of 2758 Old 11-06-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Hi Bud, You did beat me to a post the other day, don't make a habit or I will have one of my homies come visit you. Ya feel me?

The hancock don't look that great on UHD either. it's hard for a movie tinted and with blown out gamma on purpose to look good in hdr unless you have a 10k nit display.

Best looking Strati flicks: smurfs2, fury,hotel tranny 2,spidey 2,angry birds the shallows<-Fvcking Awesome, and yes Pride and prejudice the zombies. Those generally look better than the uhd bd to me.
I agree that the 4K HDR version of Fury from the Kscape store looks great. I watched it again last night and was again impressed. I might add that it also sounds terrific and is a good film to boot.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #1420 of 2758 Old 11-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieRAV View Post
I've experienced the video going dark on many 4K titles (several times per movie). I assumed it was some kind of sync/cable issue (due to the higher bit rate). In my case I have a 25 foot cable going to a projector and am waiting for reliable 18Gbps cables to be released.
Your issue could be to a cable, but you would have to test that. I'm pretty much positive the problem I experienced with the picture going dark watching Kaleidescape isn't due to a cable. I have Celerity Fiber Optic cables, so distance shouldn't matter. From my rack to projector is 80 feet. My Kaleidescape Strato sits in the rack. All the HDMI cables in my rack are certified Belkin HDMI cable from Blue Jeans Cable. My UHD player sits inside the theater connected by a 60 foot Celerity Fiber Optic cable.

I have watched a ton of 4K HDR movies from my UHD player and never once had an issue. Literally perfect every time. Out of the probably 100+ movies I have watched in HD or UHD on my Strato I have only experienced this issue twice. Once watching "Tomorrowland" in HD, where it went dark four times for just a few seconds in the first few chapters, but didn't do it again. I restarted and watched the first seven chapters again and it didn't do it.

The second time I experienced it going dark was last night watching "Hancock" in HDR. The picture went dark an estimated 25 times for about approximately 10 seconds each time. This behavior occurred even after I restarted the Strato.

I have never had an issue with any of my sources going dark except the Strato. If there was going to be a problem with cables, mine would probably come from my UHD player watching 4K HDR movies over 140 feet of Fiber Optic cables. All sources are connected to my Yamaha processor, which has one single cable going to the projector.

I'm about 99.9% sure it is the Strato, firmware or an anomalous download that is causing the issue in my case. I am hoping to get to the bottom of it, because after spending all the money I did on my theater AND of course the Strato, watching a movie continually go "dark" even once is a REAL downer!

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
post #1421 of 2758 Old 11-06-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Your issue could be to a cable, but you would have to test that. I'm pretty much positive the problem I experienced with the picture going dark watching Kaleidescape isn't due to a cable. I have Celerity Fiber Optic cables, so distance shouldn't matter. From my rack to projector is 80 feet. My Kaleidescape Strato sits in the rack. All the HDMI cables in my rack are certified Belkin HDMI cable from Blue Jeans Cable. My UHD player sits inside the theater connected by a 60 foot Celerity Fiber Optic cable.

I have watched a ton of 4K HDR movies from my UHD player and never once had an issue. Literally perfect every time. Out of the probably 100+ movies I have watched in HD or UHD on my Strato I have only experienced this issue twice. Once watching "Tomorrowland" in HD, where it went dark four times for just a few seconds in the first few chapters, but didn't do it again. I restarted and watched the first seven chapters again and it didn't do it.

The second time I experienced it going dark was last night watching "Hancock" in HDR. The picture went dark an estimated 25 times for about approximately 10 seconds each time. This behavior occurred even after I restarted the Strato.

I have never had an issue with any of my sources going dark except the Strato. If there was going to be a problem with cables, mine would probably come from my UHD player watching 4K HDR movies over 140 feet of Fiber Optic cables. All sources are connected to my Yamaha processor, which has one single cable going to the projector.

I'm about 99.9% sure it is the Strato, firmware or an anomalous download that is causing the issue in my case. I am hoping to get to the bottom of it, because after spending all the money I did on my theater AND of course the Strato, watching a movie continually go "dark" even once is a REAL downer!
Hopefully others will speak up if they have the same problem!

I would be surprised if it is just an anomalous download as I have had it happen with at least four movies (in my case always UHD versions) - and it is not repeatable.

What is your setting for Strato > Settings > Show Advanced Video Settings > 4K Ultra HD Support? I set mine to limit the output to 10.2Gbps. That is high enough to support UltraHD and is easier for the cables and projector to handle.

I noticed that we have the same family of projector - I have the JVC DLA-RS600. These projectors have a really long HDMI sync time, which is probably exacerbating the problem.
post #1422 of 2758 Old 11-06-2016, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I agree that the 4K HDR version of Fury from the Kscape store looks great. I watched it again last night and was again impressed. I might add that it also sounds terrific and is a good film to boot.

We showed fury tiger hunt scene at every demo at cedia like 9 a day/night. The tiger tank benefited from the large alcons cr3 floor-standers, it sounded like a real life scale tiger tank. And speaking about WW 2 ARMAMENT FILM SOUND UNCANINESS....

TheN download ANTHROPOID the third act machine gun battle in a church is epic. Sounds great in neural-x WHICH'S DARK heavy bass presented the MG-42 machine gun so robustly, it's never sounded so scary.
Aareses likes this.
post #1423 of 2758 Old 11-06-2016, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i have added the m700 discvault to my starto system. I know it is not supported yet but shouldnt you be able to insert discs even in the M700?
post #1424 of 2758 Old 11-06-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micke_ View Post
i have added the m700 discvault to my starto system. I know it is not supported yet but shouldnt you be able to insert discs even in the M700?
Yes, and the system should catalog the discs (including offering disc-to-digital when available).You just won't see them in the on-screen interface or be able to play them!
post #1425 of 2758 Old 11-06-2016, 04:02 PM

I too have had periodic trouble on some titles showing on my Strato with the the screen going dark for a 2 or 3 seconds. I have decided not to worry about it, though, because the audio continues to play and the screen stays dark only briefly. Nevertheless, if anybody could suggest a fix short of re-downloading the offending titles, I would like to hear about it.

post #1426 of 2758 Old 11-06-2016, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieRAV View Post
Hopefully others will speak up if they have the same problem!

I would be surprised if it is just an anomalous download as I have had it happen with at least four movies (in my case always UHD versions) - and it is not repeatable.

What is your setting for Strato > Settings > Show Advanced Video Settings > 4K Ultra HD Support? I set mine to limit the output to 10.2Gbps. That is high enough to support UltraHD and is easier for the cables and projector to handle.

I noticed that we have the same family of projector - I have the JVC DLA-RS600. These projectors have a really long HDMI sync time, which is probably exacerbating the problem.
Agreed. I didn't expect it, but it was a serious bummer! I am using auto settings. When connected it shows it is connecting at the maximum. I doubt this is the issue since that connection is a single 80 foot fiber optic cable and when i connect to my UHD player I'm using 1 of 80 foot cable plus a 60 foot cable in full 4K HDR with no issues. I've played at least a dozen 4K UHD titles on my UHD player with no problems whatsoever.

I agree about the lag on the JVC, it's not a big deal though since I only experience that when I switch inputs. I'll test some more 4K HDR movies and see. I'll also contact K support tomorrow.

Perhaps your issues aren't cable related?

If anyone else has had an issue like this, I would love to hear about it.

post #1427 of 2758 Old 11-06-2016, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I too have had periodic trouble on some titles showing on my Strato with the the screen going dark for a 2 or 3 seconds. I have decided not to worry about it, though, because the audio continues to play and the screen stays dark only briefly. Nevertheless, if anybody could suggest a fix short of re-downloading the offending titles, I would like to hear about it.
Gswat, does your screen go dark while you are playing the titles? How often have you experienced the issue? Have you noticed which titles they are and if they are HD, UHD or HDR?

Those of with the JVC would experience a longer period of darkness because it takes our projector longer to re-establish the signal. It sounds like you may be experiencing the same issue. It was just exacerbated with the HDR title last night.

post #1428 of 2758 Old 11-06-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Gswat, does your screen go dark while you are playing the titles? How often have you experienced the issue? Have you noticed which titles they are and if they are HD, UHD or HDR?

Those of with the JVC would experience a longer period of darkness because it takes our projector longer to re-establish the signal. It sounds like you may be experiencing the same issue. It was just exacerbated with the HDR title last night.
It has happened to me on HD, 4K, and 4K HDR titles, all three. fortunately it has never occurred more than a few times in any title and my LCD TV recovers quickly so I hardly notice it any more.

post #1429 of 2758 Old 11-06-2016, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

I just watched "Fury" in HDR. It worked flawlessly and did not go dark once. The audio track was amazing as you have all said! My subs KILLED it in that scene you are referring to. DANG!

I'm still not sure what happened with Hancock, but I will be asking K Support tomorrow.

Gswat, approximately how many movies have you watched and how many times has your screen gone dark? Like what % of movies? For me it's only been on two titles out of about 100 movies or so. As I described earlier, one was about 4 times and did not repeat. The second time on Hancock it was 25 times at least with long "black outs".

post #1430 of 2758 Old 11-07-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
I just watched "Fury" in HDR. It worked flawlessly and did not go dark once. The audio track was amazing as you have all said! My subs KILLED it in that scene you are referring to. DANG!

I'm still not sure what happened with Hancock, but I will be asking K Support tomorrow.

Gswat, approximately how many movies have you watched and how many times has your screen gone dark? Like what % of movies? For me it's only been on two titles out of about 100 movies or so. As I described earlier, one was about 4 times and did not repeat. The second time on Hancock it was 25 times at least with long "black outs".
The brief screen blackouts I described in my earlier post happened on most of the titles I have watched. It can happen from one to four or even five times per film. I watched my 4K UHD copy of Fury last week but it happened only once there. As noted in my last post, the screen blackouts haven't been a big deal.

post #1431 of 2758 Old 11-07-2016, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
The brief screen blackouts I described in my earlier post happened on most of the titles I have watched. It can happen from one to four or even five times per film. I watched my 4K UHD copy of Fury last week but it happened only once there. As noted in my last post, the screen blackouts haven't been a big deal.

I've never seen it, have you contacted your dealer or Kaleidescape ? I have watched Fury through twice.

Art

post #1432 of 2758 Old 11-07-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Was the timestamp of the 'blackout' around 07:53), as they trundle from the battlefield? If so this is on both the UHD and bluray disc versions of the film and looks like a natural/deliberate scene switch (though it didn't feel like it at the time and still doesn't).
post #1433 of 2758 Old 11-07-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
Was the timestamp of the 'blackout' around 07:53), as they trundle from the battlefield? If so this is on both the UHD and bluray disc versions of the film and looks like a natural/deliberate scene switch (though it didn't feel like it at the time and still doesn't).
The video dropouts I have described are readily identifiable because my display shows the current resolution being used when they happen. Natural and deliberate screen blackness doesn’t show the graphic, thus it’s easy to differentiate between the video dropout glitch and the filmmaker’s decision to show us a black screen.

I watched my BD quality version of John Wick earlier and had one of the video dropout glitches crop up at about the 18 minute mark. That was the only time it happened, though.

post #1434 of 2758 Old 11-11-2016, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
post #1435 of 2758 Old 11-12-2016, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Guys,

I just updated my RS500 to the new firmware, finally... I have my 4k strato and have downloaded a few HDR movies. I used the presets from JVC, basically pick one other than Film and THX...So i chose 4k or cinema...changed the gamma to D and the other settings as well. The issue is the KScape film area looks terrible...all the movies in my strato looked washed out but if i pick an actual movie e.g...fury or spiderman...The movie looks good...What is the issue here? Also, anyone have any good settings for HDR other than what JVC recommends? I have a completely dark room home theater room. So light isn't an issue.

Hopefully i explained it well... Thank you.

My equipment:
JVC RS620Anthem MRX 1120,Kaleidescape Strato,Apple TV 4,oppo 203, Roku Ultra, paradigm 95f , 55c , svs sb16 ultra
Current Setup 7.2.4 Atmos
post #1436 of 2758 Old 11-12-2016, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applemike68 View Post
Guys,

I just updated my RS500 to the new firmware, finally... I have my 4k strato and have downloaded a few HDR movies. I used the presets from JVC, basically pick one other than Film and THX...So i chose 4k or cinema...changed the gamma to D and the other settings as well. The issue is the KScape film area looks terrible...all the movies in my strato looked washed out but if i pick an actual movie e.g...fury or spiderman...The movie looks good...What is the issue here? Also, anyone have any good settings for HDR other than what JVC recommends? I have a completely dark room home theater room. So light isn't an issue.

Once you go into a movie and back to the film area, the JVC remains in Gamma D. I think maybe the Strato is not going back to noHDR setting or something so the everything looks wrong. You should be able to select another user setting to get the display looking correct. I have a RS600.... SJ
post #1437 of 2758 Old 11-12-2016, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Guys,

As SJHT explained above, you will need to change your settings to Gamma D for HDR movies and back to another Gamma setting of your choice for HD movies AND the Strato user interface. This is not a limitation of the Strato, but the way HDR works. It is the same on other devices like UHD Blu-ray players as one example. It's somewhat like when we first switched to 1080p, some content was in 1080p, but most of the user interfaces were still in standard definition. It's a bit of a pain now, but its just the way it is for now.

post #1438 of 2758 Old 11-12-2016, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Understood, thank you both...I wasn't sure if i was doing something wrong. So when I not viewing HDR content i just switch back to my "user1 setting"... the interface on my user1 setting looks great...when you change the gamma to "D" for HDR, it looks washed out...Thanks again,

Anyone with the newer JVC's have any additional settings for HDR...Or do i just use what JVC recommends...

My equipment:
JVC RS620Anthem MRX 1120,Kaleidescape Strato,Apple TV 4,oppo 203, Roku Ultra, paradigm 95f , 55c , svs sb16 ultra
Current Setup 7.2.4 Atmos
post #1439 of 2758 Old 11-12-2016, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Understood, thank you both...I wasn't sure if i was doing something wrong. So when I not viewing HDR content i just switch back to my "user1 setting"... the interface on my user1 setting looks great...when you change the gamma to "D" for HDR, it looks washed out...Thanks again,

Anyone with the newer JVC's have any additional settings for HDR...Or do i just use what JVC recommends...
For now, I'm just using what JVC recommends. Gamma D is using the source HDR/REC2020 and converting for display. When another non HDR/REC2020 gets converted, it looks very strange.. If you are using (for example), USER1 setting, the JVC will switch automatically to Gamma D when it gets a HDR signal but not change anything else. That's why it looks washed out as your other settings in that USER memory are not calibrated for HDR/REC2020 material. Best to just setup another USER memory with the JVC recomended defaults including the REC2020 color profile. SJ
post #1440 of 2758 Old 11-12-2016, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have two user settings as SJHT is recommending. The first is "HD" and the second is "HDR". I use "HD" for everything but HDR content and obviously "HDR" for the HDR content.

Hopefully this link will help some.
http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...rs400_uhd.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page